04/06/07 02:42 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i'm finally going with Brightside.

i've been using some primer especially for another branded marine paint for my panels, but have been using Rustoleum's automotive primer for my jambs.

anybody having issues with Rustoleum's automotive primer?

_taF

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27300
04/06/07 06:54 AM
04/06/07 06:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Time for another Aussie update.

I spent two days sanding down all of my other painting efforts on the car and prepped it for it's final paint (yeah I know, I've said that before....)

In an effort to constantly improve the results I made a big change to my painting. Previously I had thinned the paint with mineral spirits, but for this coat I thinned the paint with something called Penetrol (and I know that it's not a real thinner). I'll let the results speak for themselves.

I can't believe how those big white marks got on the paint...

And lastly a subtle one

I get bored pretty easliy, so instead of watching paint dry I started the final wet sand and polishing of the hard top that I posted about last time. Here is a little teaser as how my polishing is going so far

And that was after two passes of Poorboy's SSR3 (cutting compound) with a cutting pad. I'm not at the actual polishing stage yet. I'll post some pics of the hard top once I'm finished polishing it.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27301
04/06/07 08:45 AM
04/06/07 08:45 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Time for another Aussie update.

And that was after two passes of Poorboy's SSR3 (cutting compound) with a cutting pad. I'm not at the actual polishing stage yet. I'll post some pics of the hard top once I'm finished polishing it.

I don't see how this is possible. Every panel I've done with SSR 3 and the yellow cutting pad, it's had a hazy shine to it, just like the bottle said it would have. Am I not running the buffer on for long enough, or fast enough? Are you suppose to wipe off the left over material off the panel and what with?

I've gotten pretty decent results one most of the panels accept for the hood, I can't get it to shine worth a darn.

I've been using the following proceedure
ssr3 yellow wolfgange
ssr2.5 orange
ssr1 white
exp

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #27302
04/06/07 09:08 AM
04/06/07 09:08 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Hey marq, I saw a couple pics of your mustang, looks real good.

About how large of an area should I paint before stopping and going over it again with the other two brushes? As in like, do a whole door, then go over it again go get rid of the bubbles, or should it be after every swipe of the roller? Or after every time the roller is out of paint??

I worked one panel or area at a time. I would lay down a coat on a fender and by the time I got the surface coated I would then be able to go back over the freshly painted surface to work out any bubbles or to catch any runs or to just level out any roller stripes where the paint went on a little thicker at the outer edges of the roller.

The theory behind getting a coat on before going back over it was to allow the bubbles ( if any ) to have a little time to pop on their own without my assistance.

Then I would move on to the door and follow a similar routine. Panel by panel. The hood equals one panel and the trunk area represented a panel for the purposes of this application routine.

For the boats.... they recommend that it should be a two person paint job. Person A lays down the paint while Person B follows closely behind doing the bubble popping. But I think we can all agree that 'recommended' procedure is just unworkable. The biggest problem being having someone on call and readily available to 'be there' when you want to lay on coats. The other problem being that 'we' as the painter, are relying on 'someone' else to be meticulous in their popping the bubble chore.

So by having 'one person' doing one panel at a time, you can maintain the 'quality control' - while not overextending the working time to pop the bubbles successfully.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27303
04/06/07 09:39 AM
04/06/07 09:39 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Anyone use a primer that did work?

It's kind of funny. On my 'car of many primers' I literally used a number of primers... The initial camoflauge primer was a six pack of black spray primers I bought at an 'automotive paint jobber'. This was done to give the car one unified color.

This is the 'primer' the poor little Mustang sat in for almost three years because I couldn't afford to shell out the $3500 that the body shops wanted to smooth my primer and lay down some real paint.

When I found this message thread and chose to go this 'roller route' I sanded down all the wooly primer to a smooth surface and resprayed another brand of aerosol primer over any spots where I had oversanded. But again, this spray primer came from an automotive 'paint jobber'.

When I made the decision in midstream to go from Tremclad/Rustoleum over to Brightside - I bought the official 'roll on' primer sold by Interlux that goes with the Brightside paint.

I have a few thoughts about the problem some people may experience with the 'DupliColor' aerosol primer. First off I don't trust the Duplicolor paint and so I would probably have never taken a can of their primer.

I think the problem with Duplicolor is the 'carrier' they use in their paint and probably in their primer as well.

I remember in the past where I would have a road chip on one of my cars, where I wanted to just 'touch up' the road chip. I would spray the aerosol into the cap, swish it around in the cap to evaporate and thicken the paint - and then use a cotton swab to dip into the paint and drop just a drop of the paint into the road chip.

Most folks who have done that will know exactly what I am about to say. WHEN the drop of paint was placed in the road chip, it would literally eat and WRINKLE the old paint on the edges of the road chip. It never would smoothly blend in.

So I guess I learned from practical experience a long time ago that DupliColor can have adverse effects on the original paint - or even on other brands of primer.

The problems some people may experience with Duplicolor may also relate somehow to the surface preparation they did prior to spraying on the Duplicolor primer. If the Duplicolor primer is separating from the subsurface then either :

a) there was an adverse reaction between the Duplicolor and the subsurface paint or primer.. OR

b ) the subsurface was not properly prepared to receive that primer coat.

For my money... if I was to paint another car tomorow.... I would go exclusively with the Interlux roll on Primer. The stuff goes on THICK ( which helps to cut down on a lot of the little pinhole or scratches ) and helps gives you a better shot at achieving a SMOOTH surface. Most areosol primers are THIN AS H3LL and cannot do that.

There are more solids in the Brightside primer and so it gives the car body one unified surface color upon which to start laying your paint on.

In the case of the Tremclad/Rustoleum painters, much has been said about the merits of avoiding the primer stage and going straight to the paint stage. Afterall, the Tremclad/Rustoleum is designed to be painted directly on to metal etc. So if you skip the primer stage, the initial coats of Tremclad/Rustoleum can serve as the 'primer' coat.

In some cases the same can be said for the Brightside paint... where you can bypass the primer stage and go straight to the paint stage.

I think you have to weigh your decision about whether you do a primer stage, based on just how much patching and work was done on the body panel.

- Lots of bondo... then primer will probably be needed.

- If you are just scuffing an otherwise decent paint job ( albeit flat or simply doing a color change ) ... you should be able to bypass the primer stage and go straight to paint.

- If you have a car with multiple colored panels ( a Frankenstein car like my McLaren was ) then a primer is a worthwhile investment just to unify the color of the sub-surface that you will be painting on.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27304
04/06/07 10:43 AM
04/06/07 10:43 AM
Laurens, SC
R
Radio Joe Offline
Radio Joe  Offline
R

Laurens, SC
Uh-Oh!!! Im still reading through the old posts on this. Not supposed to be on message boards at work so I gotta read a little at a time.

Anyway I just got to the comments on how the RED colors fade really quickly. My car is gonna be Black and Red and the door jambs and such are already done. Im using "Sunrise Red" rustoleum.

They mentioned using a clear over the paint to resist fading. Has anyone found Quarts of good clear anywhere? I can only find Spray cans and defintiely would prefer to stick to rolling.

BTW, I attached a pic of my car before I started the rolling- Also I put the tunk, hood and doors back on before I started rolling.

3418052-vair1.jpg (661 downloads)
Last edited by Radio Joe; 04/06/07 10:44 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Radio Joe] #27305
04/06/07 11:33 AM
04/06/07 11:33 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
So with using interlux's primer, did you find your car just needed one coat of it and a sanding to smooth it out?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27306
04/06/07 12:17 PM
04/06/07 12:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Unfortunately I found more spots where my brightside peeled right off when I removed masking tape that was on it. But I touched them up and am hoping for the best. Maybe more curing time will help.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Radio Joe] #27307
04/06/07 12:32 PM
04/06/07 12:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Marq,
Thanks for your input on this.

I think I have all the variables squared away. The comments about the heavy bodiedness of the interlux primer make a lit of sense. I’m going to use all interlux products exclusively. Primer, thinner, and paint. I really wanted to spray on the primer to avoid bubbles, but, I the extra work will be worth it for a better surface. I would kick myself If I got everything done and the paint started falling off the car.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27308
04/06/07 06:18 PM
04/06/07 06:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I don't see how this is possible. Every panel I've done with SSR 3 and the yellow cutting pad, it's had a hazy shine to it, just like the bottle said it would have. Am I not running the buffer on for long enough, or fast enough? Are you suppose to wipe off the left over material off the panel and what with?

I've gotten pretty decent results one most of the panels accept for the hood, I can't get it to shine worth a darn.

I've been using the following proceedure
ssr3 yellow wolfgange
ssr2.5 orange
ssr1 white
exp

Yep, that pic was after 2 passes of the SSR3 with a yellow cutting pad.

Are you using a rotary or an orbital buffer?
Here is a pic of the RO that I'm using,

When I use the SSR3, I spritz the pad, apply three coin sized dobs of polish and start it out on the slowest speed setting to work the polish in. Then once the polish has full coverage, I crank up the speed to max and keep polishing away until there is hardly any polish residue left. Then I wipe it down with a microfiber cloth and start on the next bit.

I'm planning on using a similar approach to yours but I'm going to try;
2 x SSR3 - yellow pad
2 x SSR2.5 - orange pad
1 x SSR2.5 - white pad
2 x SSR1 - white pad
2 x Pro-Polish - grey pad
3+ x EX-P - blue pad

I know that it's a lot of polishing, but I think of it as some quality time with power tools when I can't hear my wife....

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Radio Joe] #27309
04/06/07 07:02 PM
04/06/07 07:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i am trying to find clear myself all i can find is spray bombs here.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Radio Joe] #27310
04/06/07 07:03 PM
04/06/07 07:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Uh-Oh!!! Im still reading through the old posts on this. Not supposed to be on message boards at work so I gotta read a little at a time.

Anyway I just got to the comments on how the RED colors fade really quickly. My car is gonna be Black and Red and the door jambs and such are already done. Im using "Sunrise Red" rustoleum.

They mentioned using a clear over the paint to resist fading. Has anyone found Quarts of good clear anywhere? I can only find Spray cans and defintiely would prefer to stick to rolling.

BTW, I attached a pic of my car before I started the rolling- Also I put the tunk, hood and doors back on before I started rolling.

i am trying to find clear myself all i can find is spray bombs here.

marq did reply to what i said in the las page about that i fount the rustolium topside boat paint in quarts and that the paint had to dry for 30 days before you can put on the top side clear.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #27311
04/06/07 08:06 PM
04/06/07 08:06 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

So with using interlux's primer, did you find your car just needed one coat of it and a sanding to smooth it out?

Yes... the stuff went on with amazing coverage.

It is thick enough to hide a lot of the surface imperfections and it self-levels...

One coat should be all you need... I would say that 1 coat of the Interlux primer is equal to at least four spray coats in thickness

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27312
04/06/07 08:11 PM
04/06/07 08:11 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Quote:

No... I think the summary 'should be' that most paints when exposed to the sun will 'eventually' fade. I don't think the Tremclad/Rustoleum will fade any soon than any other paint.

And you must remember that Tremclad/Rustoleum is designed for use outdoors and exposed to the elements. So I suspect that it does have UV protectants or UV resistance built into it.

A clear coat is not going to resist fading UNLESS the clear coat contains Ultra Violet filtering ( which most of them do not ).

HOWEVER... you can lay a car polish on to your painted surface that does contain UV protection.

In the case of the Brightside paint, it DOES contain UV protection within the paint itself. So it should resist fading straight out of the can. HOWEVER even with the Brightside you can us a polish / wax that will contain UV protectants to double up your anti-fade protection.

Last edited by Marq; 04/06/07 08:14 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: Marq] #27313
04/06/07 08:50 PM
04/06/07 08:50 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Any paint can fade, but some colors, like red, will fade quicker than others. If you're sure to keep up with regular waxing/polishing, especially in the months of the year when the sun is at it's strongest, your color should stay looking good for a long time. Eventually a good buffing is a good idea to take off the dull oxidized paint, or just roll on another layer.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #27314
04/07/07 12:39 AM
04/07/07 12:39 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Any paint can fade, but some colors, like red, will fade quicker than others. If you're sure to keep up with regular waxing/polishing, especially in the months of the year when the sun is at it's strongest, your color should stay looking good for a long time. Eventually a good buffing is a good idea to take off the dull oxidized paint, or just roll on another layer.

It's true...Rustoleum or any other Alkyd paint will fade eventually if you don't do any up keep on it. Modern OEM finishes can sit outside for years untouched and still look good. These can't. Eventually it will oxidize. This paint technology dates back to the 1920s, and was used as a factory finish at least into the 1960s. Same thing happened to cars back then . If you keep a coat of wax on it, everything will be fine. Even if it does get oxidized really bad, it's still no big deal. Just polish it with a cleaner and wax it. I've brought back several OEM paint jobs from the dead that were oxidized so bad you could use them for a chalkboard, but they came out pretty nice. Just wax it several times a year and don't worry about it . Or, park it in the shade

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27315
04/08/07 01:24 AM
04/08/07 01:24 AM
Kansas
D
dalbers Offline
dalbers  Offline
D

Kansas
Here is satin white rustoleum, still want to do a couple more coats.

3422314-satinwhite.JPG (789 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED [Re: dalbers] #27316
04/08/07 12:56 PM
04/08/07 12:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your truck is looking good. This is as far as I have gotten so far. It is Easter and 34 deg outside.

Bob

Last edited by Bob D; 04/08/07 01:52 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED #27317
04/08/07 02:10 PM
04/08/07 02:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

bob what color is that? im using brightside fire red and its a very bright red, yours seems to be a lil darker like i had wanted..

Page 143 of 159 1 2 141 142 143 144 145 158 159