Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Marion, South Carolina [><]
Quote:

Quote:

I have factory buckets, 5 point harnesses, and a 10 pt. cage in my '70 'cuda. I do NOT have the seats attached to the crossbar and the harnesses go around the back of the seat, not through it. My crotch belt does NOT go through the seat, it loops up in front of it.

I am big guy, 6'5" tall and 320 lbs, I have broad shoulders (ex college O-tackle), so the belts are less likely to slip off my shoulders. Is this safe? Probably not, but it has passed NHRA tech inspection at a couple tracks and has been cert'd to 8.50 like it sits. At the time I recovered the seats, I couldn't find an upholstery shop locally that would cut the seat for the belts to pass through them and I didn't trust myself to do it. Not saying it's the right way to do it, but it's what I did and it passed tech inspection. CHIP

passing tech doesn't mean it's safe. do you trust your life with it? I wouldn't.

Did I say it was safe? No. In fact I said it's probably not safe. Do I trust my life with it? No. I don't trust my life with anything I drive, even if I'm surrounded by airbags. You're still gonna die if the crash is bad enough. CHIP

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: Stock seats with 5 point harness [Re: an8sec70cuda] #272732
04/02/09 07:05 PM
04/02/09 07:05 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have factory buckets, 5 point harnesses, and a 10 pt. cage in my '70 'cuda. I do NOT have the seats attached to the crossbar and the harnesses go around the back of the seat, not through it. My crotch belt does NOT go through the seat, it loops up in front of it.

I am big guy, 6'5" tall and 320 lbs, I have broad shoulders (ex college O-tackle), so the belts are less likely to slip off my shoulders. Is this safe? Probably not, but it has passed NHRA tech inspection at a couple tracks and has been cert'd to 8.50 like it sits. At the time I recovered the seats, I couldn't find an upholstery shop locally that would cut the seat for the belts to pass through them and I didn't trust myself to do it. Not saying it's the right way to do it, but it's what I did and it passed tech inspection. CHIP

passing tech doesn't mean it's safe. do you trust your life with it? I wouldn't.

Did I say it was safe? No. In fact I said it's probably not safe. Do I trust my life with it? No. I don't trust my life with anything I drive, even if I'm surrounded by airbags. You're still gonna die if the crash is bad enough. CHIP

sorry Chip but if I didn't trust my life in it, I wouldn't drive it. 9seconds is way to fast to be taking any chances.

Re: Stock seats with 5 point harness [Re: Gearbox] #272733
04/04/09 11:36 AM
04/04/09 11:36 AM
Oakland, MI
D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
Quote:

I'm also at the point of buying and installing a 5 point harness into a stock bench seat application. I was going to weld tabs to the crossbar, just behind my shoulders, as for the crotch strap have not figured that one out just yet, should I weld a plate to the stock floor with a Tab, then wrap the belt up the front of the bench seat? or have a hole cut in the upholestry. Any suggestions on the best belt to buy for a NSS type application. Thanks.

Plate the floor is fine. But make sure that you cut a hole in the seat for the crotch strap. The point of it is to keep you upright in a crash. If it's too far forward, it will allow you to slip down and you could get hurt as mentioned above.

Quote:

You are right if the crash is severe enough, there is always a probability that you could die. The idea is to maximize your chance at life under all circumstances.

What about a less severe crash? What about the broken axle 90 degree turn low speed head on starting line crashes? Even if you hit the wall at 35mph you might see a 20g load. 320lbs x 20 g's is 6400lbs that the belts see.

Wider shoulders certainly helps, but coming aroudn the side, I doubt it's enough in a crash. I bet you could pull the belts off your shoulders with your hands.

Not trying to tell you how you have to live your life, just trying to open your eyes a little to something other then the "if the crash is bad enough you're gonna get hurt anyway" mentality.

Re: Stock seats with 5 point harness [Re: dizuster] #272734
04/04/09 11:39 AM
04/04/09 11:39 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

I'm also at the point of buying and installing a 5 point harness into a stock bench seat application. I was going to weld tabs to the crossbar, just behind my shoulders, as for the crotch strap have not figured that one out just yet, should I weld a plate to the stock floor with a Tab, then wrap the belt up the front of the bench seat? or have a hole cut in the upholestry. Any suggestions on the best belt to buy for a NSS type application. Thanks.

Plate the floor is fine. But make sure that you cut a hole in the seat for the crotch strap. The point of it is to keep you upright in a crash. If it's too far forward, it will allow you to slip down and you could get hurt as mentioned above.

Quote:

You are right if the crash is severe enough, there is always a probability that you could die. The idea is to maximize your chance at life under all circumstances.

What about a less severe crash? What about the broken axle 90 degree turn low speed head on starting line crashes? Even if you hit the wall at 35mph you might see a 20g load. 320lbs x 20 g's is 6400lbs that the belts see.

Wider shoulders certainly helps, but coming aroudn the side, I doubt it's enough in a crash. I bet you could pull the belts off your shoulders with your hands.

Not trying to tell you how you have to live your life, just trying to open your eyes a little to something other then the "if the crash is bad enough you're gonna get hurt anyway" mentality.

well said

Page 2 of 2 1 2