03/17/07 12:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I can't believe I ate THE WHOLE THING.

I started at the VERY beginning (post #1) of this thread 4 days ago - my father-in-law emailed me the link he picked up from a Corvette forum.

43 pages of the original thread, 67 pages of this continued thread... 40 posts per page...

Approximately 4400 individual posts! My brain hurts, and when I close my eyes I can still see my computer screen - but I'm finally here! I've had 1000 questions along the way, but I resolved that I would finish the entire thread before I skipped to the end and started asking questions. This has saved me (and you guys!) a lot of time and hassle - I noticed a LOT of folks didn't do the same - pretty annoying, but you all have been pretty helpful to those types anyway.

I want to thank 3 people in particular for their incredible contributions to this...

First of all, *** 69ChargerYeeHa *** (should change his name to OldPorscheYeeHa) - the godfather who started this whole thing and has continued to be a great and patient contributor despite some undeserved derision (from chuck and others).

Secondly, *** Exit1965 *** - who happily became the first real bona-fide guinea pig and has probably been through more experimentation and physical labor than anyone involved - 2 full Rustoleum paintjobs and 1 full Brightside paintjob - ALL of which came out very well, despite his bionic fingernails. His willingness to continually forge on and keep us apprised of his progress, and post lots of very helpful photos has helped keep life in this thread for a very long time now.

Finally, *** Marq *** - the guy who broke the HUGE Interlux Brightside/marine urethane story in the first place, and has brought the idea along to where it's at least an equivalent partner in this thread to the original Tremclad/Rustoleum technique.

Also an honorable mention to the Moparts moderators who have been great at maintaining this thread and weeding out some of the garbage so the rest of us who came later didn't have to wade through it.

Kudos to all (even the Canadians and Californians).

I'm not a Mopar guy myself (although seeing the photos of some of these sweet cars certainly gets me interested) - I'm a GM guy. Mainly Pontiacs, which I'm sure Mopar fans consider much less a sin than being a Chevy guy, right?

I have a 69 GTO that's going to be going back together over the next year or so. Once we get the interior work done, body and paint will be next. Like most everyone in this thread, I am really excited about a paint job that I can reasonably do myself and don't have to budget $3-4K for.

I'm going to give the Brightsides technique a shot. My biggest problem with it is the color selection - I had been leaning towards a dark burgundy, and they offer nothing of the sort. However I am also intrigued by the idea of a deep, dark blue.

Does anyone have any decent pics of Interlux Brightsides Flag Blue on a car (or actually painted on any surface, for that matter?)

Thanks!

Chris

Last edited by Chris Koester; 03/17/07 01:59 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27119
03/17/07 12:52 AM
03/17/07 12:52 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm going to re-post my final question in case some folks ended up skimming my lengthy post above and missed it...

Does anyone have any decent pics of Interlux Brightsides Flag Blue on a car (or actually painted on any surface, for that matter?)

Thanks!

Chris

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27120
03/17/07 09:04 AM
03/17/07 09:04 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I'm going to give the Brightsides technique a shot. My biggest problem with it is the color selection - I had been leaning towards a dark burgundy, and they offer nothing of the sort. However I am also intrigued by the idea of a deep, dark blue.

Chris

Hi Chris...

Thanks for the kind words. It is most appreciated.

Now... on the topic of getting a deep burgundy... you are right that Brightside doesn't seem to have that color ( nor the deep dark red that I would have preferred ).

In your case, your original wish was burgundy, with the Flag Blue being your second or alternative choice. I will try to address the burgundy aspect of your e-mail because I truly believe that if you are going to go to the effort of attempting this painting procedure, you should work towards what you really want. Otherwise, you will end up like me, where I have a quite satisfactory 'Fire Red' paintjob, but nagging in the back of my head is my true desire to have a deep dark red. I don't think you can end up with 100% satisfaction unless you end up with what you really wanted in the first place...

And the solution to completing your wishes may rest in the contributions by some of the other posters who have explored some of the other marine paint manufacturers. You may yet have the opportunity to enjoy a color that is closer to your real desire.

I do recall looking at some of those other paint samples and there were burgundies that ranged from 'Plum Crazy Purple' to 'Deep Burgundy Wine'. So there is a possibility you may find the right color that you initially envisioned.

As long as you can hunt down a single stage polyurathane marine paint, than I suspect the application and results will match up pretty closely to the Brightside results.

I believe that a deep burgundy is one of those next to impossible colors to blend yourself. So it mostly will boil down to doing a bit of Google reasearch to identify some of the other marine paint suppliers and checking out their color offerings. I know I was quite surprised by the broad range of reds offered by one of those companies. Heck... even that latest suggestion from one of the users lead to me finding them offering ' COCA COLA ' red. Hehehheh... I could have painted up my car to look like a Coke truck ahhaahah.

So before resorting to your 'second choice' in colors, try exploring some of the other marine paint manufacturers and their color offerings. As long as it says that it is a polyurathane and that it can be rolled, you will know that it is an approximate equivalent to the Brightside.

ON THE TOPIC OF THE FLAG BLUE.... the color is 'suppose to be a dead ringer for the dark blue used on the US Flag...

I could not find a car with that paint job... but I did find a lovely boat done with Flag Blue.

http://www.discover-marlago.com/images/imagecache/gallery/hard%20top%20t-top%20on%20lift.JPG

Good luck and again, thanks for the kind words.

Marq

Last edited by Marq; 03/17/07 09:29 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #27121
03/17/07 10:36 PM
03/17/07 10:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi

I mixed up some Rustoleum gloss white at 50 / 50 with mineral spirits ,

This seems way too thin , I used a foam brush on some places I needed to touch up on a white work van ,
It just ran off.... with no coverage

So what percentage paint to thinner do I need on a 70 degree day ?

thanks

Beaulieu

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #27122
03/18/07 02:19 AM
03/18/07 02:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Marq:

Thanks for the advice - I am taking that under consideration. I've definitely had burgundy tops in my mind for quite some time now - but the dark blue is growing on me. I think a deep blue is the very best color to go with flashy chrome brightwork and aftermarket wheels - always very sharp. I do still love burgundy though, and like you said, I will probably always wonder about it if I go with blue...

After a fair amount of research, however, I've only found a single one-part marine urethane offered in a burgundy color - the Pettit Easypoxy. And even that I can't seem to find an accurate paint sample for (I've emailed the company and one dealer with paint chip requests - there are no dealers in my state). It seems I can get AWLGrip in a custom color . . . for almost $100/quart!!!

Other than that, no luck finding anything like burgundy. Any other specific recommendations in your searching?

Also, I recall that you had spent some time perusing boat-painting forums to help form your opinion on which product was best to try for our application (that's how you settled on Brightsides, with AWLGrip coming in 2nd place overall if I recall). Any recollections about the reputation of Pettit Easypoxy or any other specific brands? Or anything to specifically stay away from?

Chris

Last edited by Chris Koester; 03/18/07 02:26 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27123
03/18/07 02:50 AM
03/18/07 02:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Beaulieu:

Although I have no specific experience with Rustoleum method, it seems from reading the length of this thread that the most commonly used mineral spirits concentration is around 15-20% - some guys have certainly gone higher (and lower) depending on the conditions, but 50% is undoubtedly far too thin.

Chris

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #27124
03/18/07 11:43 AM
03/18/07 11:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ok....than maybe I need to add more paint....

Beaulieu

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27125
03/18/07 05:10 PM
03/18/07 05:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The original idea was to thin the rustoleum to the consistency of milk. That requires about a 40% thinning. It is thin but the idea, I believe, is to apply a thin coat of thin paint. So if it runs, it's not necessarily to thin but it may be that you are putting on too much paint at one time.

I think that thinning to about 40% is required and then wring out roller and apply a thin coat.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27126
03/18/07 06:33 PM
03/18/07 06:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'll get the formalities out of the way:
I came here from another board (chevy trucks).
I have a 65 C10 that is in dire need of a paint job, and I've read the entire 2 threads on this. I think this is the way to go for me.

I've enjoyed the reading this past week, several times I lost track of time, and crawled into bed REALLY late.

I decided to do some leg work yesterday.
Sherwin Williams has a rust paint that they can tint to any color. Ace hardware has one that they can tint to about 40 colors. Ace also has 100% mineral spirits.

But after reading about the marine poly paints, my next trip was to have been to west marine to see what they had in stock, until my googling turned up this paint:
Top Secret 1-Part Epoxy (TS-100)

Excepts from the website:
Quote:

Looking for something more durable than Gel-Coat, easier to use than a two-component epoxy and less hazardous than an aliphatic urethane? Is a single component Direct To Metal coating (DTM) on your wish list? Have you been praying for a durable environmentally friendly marine coating? Does a bargain sound good? If you answered yes to any of these questions you came to the right place because this innovative approach rewrites the book on epoxy. That’s right, TS-100 1 Part Epoxy won’t chalk, fade or yellow like two component epoxy and it won’t spider-web like Gel-Coat making it a favorite in rust preventative paint and marine restoration applications. Now you can use our exclusive 1 Part Epoxy in your direct to metal paint applications safely and economically without the need* for primer in many instances...
... Available in 200 stock marine paint colors. Custom colors available on request for an additional $5.00 per gallon. Available in quart, gallon and five gallon containers

$29/Qt, $84/Gal

The amazing thing is the stock color selection. the website shows 100+ but the text says 200.. geez!

Color Chart

What do you guys think?

edit- added lnk to color chart, and found some fine print:
Stock colors are limited to white, light gray, dark gray, sand, moss green, tile red and norse blue. All other colors are considered "custom colors".

Last edited by Tony Counts; 03/18/07 06:43 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27127
03/18/07 07:38 PM
03/18/07 07:38 PM
Beaverton, OR
StevesBug Offline
StevesBug  Offline

Beaverton, OR
Done with the paint for a while. Time to finish the chassis and assemble the engine ! Hope to be driving by May.

The paint has been sanded and compounded, but I won't do the final polish until the body is on and I'm done swinging tools around.

Steve

Rustoleum Pro, rolled.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27128
03/18/07 07:55 PM
03/18/07 07:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That product looks to have great potential, if their propaganda holds any water.

Can anyone explain the difference between a one-part Epoxy and a one-part Urethane? I noticed it specifically states the two aren't compatible, so obviously there is some significant difference...

Compatible topside coatings include TS-4 Urethane Reinforced Alkyd Marine Paints. Not recommended for use with TS-2 Urethane Marine Coating, TS-2 Urethane Marine Clear Coating, TS-6433 Ever-Last Epoxy Paint, TS-6433 Ever-Last Epoxy Clear Marine Coating or TS 527 Camo-Coat Camouflage Boat Paints.

Chris

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27129
03/18/07 08:49 PM
03/18/07 08:49 PM
venice, ca
A
admactanium Offline
admactanium  Offline
A

venice, ca
Quote:

... Available in 200 stock marine paint colors. Custom colors available on request for an additional $5.00 per gallon. Available in quart, gallon and five gallon containers

$29/Qt, $84/Gal

The amazing thing is the stock color selection. the website shows 100+ but the text says 200.. geez!

Color Chart

interesting that there is a brushable clearcoat on there too. hmmm...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: StevesBug] #27130
03/18/07 08:58 PM
03/18/07 08:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Done with the paint for a while. Time to finish the chassis and assemble the engine ! Hope to be driving by May.

The paint has been sanded and compounded, but I won't do the final polish until the body is on and I'm done swinging tools around.

Steve

Rustoleum Pro, rolled.

You going to put new fender beading on that?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: admactanium] #27131
03/18/07 10:03 PM
03/18/07 10:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hmmm, They also have a poly thats about $44/gal
With similar color choices... and they say you can spray, brush, or roll.

TS-4 Urethane Reinforced Alkyd Gloss

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27132
03/18/07 10:19 PM
03/18/07 10:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thanks for your help with the colour mixing Marq, i've mixed 10 parts yellow with 1part largo blue and i've got very close to the colour i was after! so thanks for the tips, it needs another coat to be the solid colour still, so will post some pics once thats done,and i plan to mix in some offwhite to give it a more creamy look hopefully, instead of being fluro

its definately true, you may as well get the colour you really want if you can, as while its cheap, its a fair bit of effort, and the feeling you get when it mixes up right is great

i photoshoped the colours up with gradients before going and buying the paint first, as buying 3 colours isn't really that cheap, specially to throw them in the bin...anyone want some orange paint? lol

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27133
03/18/07 10:32 PM
03/18/07 10:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah, AND the Top Secret TS-4 urethane is only $15/quart! (I assume that's a stock color price, more for custom - but still in the spirit of the $50 paint job!).

And although they recommend using their proprietary thinner (don't they ALL?), it appears it could probably be safely thinned w/ 100% mineral spirits (read: el cheapo). They state:

"Thin & clean up: Use only with factory recommended thinner, TS 101 Thinner. Clean all equipment thoroughly with TS 101 Thinner or TS 602 Mineral Spirits."

Nice work. Wonder where I can score some color samples? Not many US dealers listed, and none near me.

Chris

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27134
03/18/07 10:37 PM
03/18/07 10:37 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

hmmm, They also have a poly thats about $44/gal
With similar color choices... and they say you can spray, brush, or roll.

TS-4 Urethane Reinforced Alkyd Gloss

Wow.. nice find. Even says it would be good for automobiles. Someone needs to order a quart and give it a test .(not me!!)

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #27135
03/18/07 10:46 PM
03/18/07 10:46 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Maybe a gold mine here with the top secret stuff???

http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/automotivepaint.asp

Man this has me itching to 'experiment' again. Must resist, at least till after the car is running!

also the site says basically if you want it to harden, you need to add the hardener..

Last edited by Exit1965; 03/18/07 10:50 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #27136
03/19/07 12:12 AM
03/19/07 12:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'd personally be more tempted to use the one-part urethane, because it would presumably be very similar to the already-proven Brightsides method. However, when you read about their one-part epoxy and they say things like:

"This is our signature product, and we guarantee it to out perform all other epoxies, alkyds and urethanes-bar none!"

...that sounds kind of interesting. It's not that much more $$$ ($26/quart stock color).

Anyone have any idea what differences might be expect applying this epoxy coating vs. a urethane product???

Chris

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27137
03/19/07 12:22 AM
03/19/07 12:22 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

BTW, I sent Top Secret Coatings an email with some questions, and I included the following comments....

"You should know that there's a HUGE market out there for an easily applied (roll- or brush-on) automotive paint - the car restoration market is quite large, and currently the only well-known option for auto repainting are spray-on paint jobs which are typically a minimum of $3000-4000 for a quality job and are very difficult for the do-it-yourselfer to perform, due to the need for expensive specialized equipment such as high-end air compressors, paint guns, paint booth access, respirators/fresh air systems, etc and the impracticality of spraying toxic isocyanate-containing products anywhere around a human environment (i.e. not something you can safely do in your home garage). A recent thread on the topic of a roll-on automative painting technique on a popular automotive resto forum (found at www.moparts.com) has exceeded 4400 different individual postings (and who knows how many hundreds of thousands of viewings?) and has attracted enthusiasts from all over the world including Canada, U.S., Australia, the U.K. and other countries. This thread has just recently turned to the topic of your products, when one of the forum members apparently stumbled across you guys and referred the rest of us to your site. Because of this huge potential market, any effort your company can make to educate and accomodate car enthusiasts can only be a win-win situation for all involved.

This is a direct link to the very recent page in the thread where we started discussing Top Secret products....

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...art=67&vc=1

Please note that this thread is only the second part - the initial thread on this topic went to 43 pages before it locked up and the board moderators archived it and started a second (continued) thread. I frequent a number of online forums, and I've never seen a thread anywhere NEAR the length and extent of this topic.... not even close! This single topic has been going on for over a full year now!"

Hopefully that will pique their interest and we can get some good feedback from them... I'll share any useful replies that I get....

Chris

Page 134 of 159 1 2 132 133 134 135 136 158 159