03/13/07 05:54 PM
03/13/07 05:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've found (with the Brightside) that you can apply a lot of pressure (like A LOT) to get the paint to come off the roller nicely.

I also found that you should work the paint out with like 10 passes over the same spot before you move on. I guess it's 'cos even the high density foam doesn't mean that the entire area will get paint on it.

Both of these methods seemed to work well after the first coat or two. Before that and it comes out like a load of dots.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27099
03/13/07 09:19 PM
03/13/07 09:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rollering upside down ?

Has anyone used this method to do the underside floorpan of your car ?

or I guess any underside of a front hood , rocker panel etc.

How did it work out ?

I just do not see how it will "self level" when you are doing this upside down,

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27100
03/13/07 10:01 PM
03/13/07 10:01 PM
socal
S
s4dustin Offline
s4dustin  Offline
S

socal
I am going to do a 67 belvedere that i was going to sell, i am going to paint it and then sell it, i sanded down the paint that was on it, have to do some bondo work, and then the paint....the car is currently yellow.....i figure i want a light color, what is the most forgiving (hides blems).....white?

here is a pick of the car

any suggestions...also, i am going to primer first....should i use a light colored primer?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: s4dustin] #27101
03/13/07 11:33 PM
03/13/07 11:33 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Man thats a nice car. Yeah white is most forgiving of blems, you could use an off white though so it doesn't look too much like a fleet white paint job IMO, but any white would look good on that car.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #27102
03/13/07 11:51 PM
03/13/07 11:51 PM
socal
S
s4dustin Offline
s4dustin  Offline
S

socal
Quote:

Man thats a nice car. Yeah white is most forgiving of blems, you could use an off white though so it doesn't look too much like a fleet white paint job IMO, but any white would look good on that car.

thanks, it needs some work, but i have to get rid of it...my other project is a 68 rs/ss camaro i am setting up for protouring....wasnt wise for me to pick this one up....i have advertised it a bit, but i figure if i paint it, it will sell faster. plus, i have to try the technique out, if it works, i will do my camaro too.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #27103
03/13/07 11:55 PM
03/13/07 11:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, I think I am getting this down... I sanded the roof way down. Wet sanded with 150 and got all the orange peel out.
I got it down to a real smooth flat surface that looks much more like the intended results. probably the equivalent of 3-4 good coats. It took a lot of wet sanding to get it flat and smooth though.

I don't know how I got it on too thick. I measured to the right ratio and it looked right. I think the foam roller might have been an issue. I used a very dense one and I think maybe it didn't spread the paint real well. I also guess that the mineral spirits are evaporating as the paint sits in the tray. So maybe it gets thicker from evaporation as time passes? Needing re-thinning?

I'll try again tomorrow and measure to get the right consistency. Trying a less dense roller too.
I think if I can get a couple more smooth flat coats, I'll have it. Then can let harden and color sand.

There are definitely a lot of variables to control for.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27104
03/14/07 05:32 AM
03/14/07 05:32 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

With the rustoleum, about how many passes do you make over the same spot with the roller per coat? Do you overlap your passes as you go or not?

Also, are you guys mixing the paint in a regular metal roller tray, like you would for painting a room in a house or do these cause bubbles? If not, are you using something else?

Last edited by quadrajet; 03/14/07 05:33 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27105
03/14/07 09:01 AM
03/14/07 09:01 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I used a small roller pan that goes with the smaller rollers, probably 6" wide.

Thinking back I believe I went in about 4" rolls, each time backing up and going forward a few inches, overlapping the roll before and slightly overlapping the roll above. Then when about a 18" area was done, I'd roll over the entire 18" inches once or twice to even things out.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #27106
03/15/07 01:45 AM
03/15/07 01:45 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi guys,

I posted on this thread a real long time ago. I'm painting a '92 BMW 325is with fire red brightside paint and I have a few questions about technique. I started on a replacement bumper and nose panel that are not on the car before winter came, and haven't had much time to do anything because of the cold. Now that it seems to be warming up wet again I'm trying to get this project finished.

Do you suggest thinning the brightside paint? I've been using it straight out of the can and it seems to have worked fairly well, but when it was cold it definitely built up a lot of brushing lines and whatnot. I'm also have a lot of trouble figuring out how to wetsand properly.

I put 2 coats on both the bumper and nose panel, sanded with 320 grit, but that made it so I could see the primer through the paint in a lot of spots. After that I decided to try and do 3 more coats before the next sand. Even with that I could still see a little bit of the coating that came on the bumper and nose panel =\. After wet sanding the nose panel today with 1000 grit, little bits of black are showing through again. I don't know if I'm sanding too much or what. I just try to sand until the surface of the paint seems very smooth to the touch and I don't see much glossy bits left.

Basically, is there a better suggestion for applying and sanding brightside paint? How much should I be sanding down, until it's perfectly smooth or what? I need to get this thing going

Here are some pics of my nosepanel, this was wetsanded today with 1000 grit but I didn't really finish since it got dark outside:

This is the bumper. It had 2 coats, 1 320grit sand, then 3 more coats. The pics don't really show the detail, it is very rough.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27107
03/15/07 08:59 AM
03/15/07 08:59 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's hard to convey how thin this paint has to be laid down IMHO. It ain't like painting a wall with latex or anything remotely like rolling other paint. To get a really flat smooth surface I had to ring the roller out pretty good in the pan and press very hard to flatten the paint out across the surface. I went from getting big 1/4" dia bubbles to pressing them hard to about pin head size bubbles then a light pass with the roller again and they're gone.

Thin coat on top of thin coat seems to be working and the results look encouraging. I'm still working on eliminating the roller lines.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27108
03/15/07 10:16 AM
03/15/07 10:16 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It seems like the key to this is not worrying *too* much about how smooth the paint goes on but making sure that the paint is going on thick enough so that it can be easily sanded without any issues. You obviously still want to make it as smooth as possible since that makes sanding a lot easier. Am I right in thinking of it this way? That just makes the most sense to me. I'm going to try a couple of new techniques while rolling my next coat. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

PS - What kind of rollers are you guys using? I'm using little white 'roller foam' brand 4-6 inch rollers, and they leave behind a billion little bubbles (even if I use the double roller method).

Last edited by bootgras; 03/15/07 10:19 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27109
03/15/07 05:25 PM
03/15/07 05:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I did a little experiment here at work...we painted one side of a steel door with a brush and the other side with a roller. Both sides painted full strength Rustoleum one coat. The brush side had slightly better gloss than the roller side. The brush side went on a little thicker, probably why it has more gloss. After 24hrs the roller side was mostly dry, the brush side was a bit tacky in places. After 2 weeks the roller side is hard as nails, the brush side can still be dented with a finger nail in places. Otherwise we didn't have any problems with adhesion. We did minimal prep, washed with a grease cutter, and didn't sand. Looks pretty good for a 20 minute job. I'm looking forward to hitting a test panel at home now that the weather is warming up.

Last edited by thorn; 03/15/07 05:27 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27110
03/15/07 07:10 PM
03/15/07 07:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It doesn't seem to take much paint before you start getting orange peel pretty good. That is why I think a thin application is a must. You recall how hard the guys are saying this paint drys? Yeah, it takes a lot of sanding to get back to a smooth flat surface.

I really think a thin coat and minimal sanding is the way to go.

I use both the firm white rollers and the yellow ones and don't see a difference. I have been getting a little paint on the roller and pressing in out on the car. I take the semi dry roller and press pretty hard to spread the paint. Then finally very lightly with just the weight of the roller to finish the bubbles off. I find that by looking at a very low angle across the surface I can see pretty easily if the bubbles are pressed out or not.

This leaves me with a pretty flat surface, but...
I am having trouble getting the roller marks out. I have some lines where I overlap the roller and have a hell of a time getting rid of these. Any ideas? Will they wet sand out? Could this be because the roof is so [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] big I can't get all the way across it in one arm's length?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27111
03/15/07 09:18 PM
03/15/07 09:18 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
You could try thinning the paint down some more, that will allow it to level out better.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27112
03/16/07 01:15 AM
03/16/07 01:15 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I did a little experiment here at work...we painted one side of a steel door with a brush and the other side with a roller. Both sides painted full strength Rustoleum one coat. The brush side had slightly better gloss than the roller side. The brush side went on a little thicker, probably why it has more gloss. After 24hrs the roller side was mostly dry, the brush side was a bit tacky in places. After 2 weeks the roller side is hard as nails, the brush side can still be dented with a finger nail in places. Otherwise we didn't have any problems with adhesion. We did minimal prep, washed with a grease cutter, and didn't sand. Looks pretty good for a 20 minute job. I'm looking forward to hitting a test panel at home now that the weather is warming up.

So far the results of my tests have shown that the brush actually comes out smoother than the roller . I used a semi-expensive Purdy 2" brush, and when it settled down I didn't have any brush strokes in the paint. My big problem was I put it on too thick, and got a couple of sags that were a major pain to sand out. The section I've used a roller on had orange peel pretty bad. So far, I like the brush better. I wet sanded the last fender I used the hardener on tonight. I painted it Monday, and it's about as hard as it's going to get. It wet sanded pretty well but like I said...the sags were a pain to knock down. I guess if I had some wet/dry 220 around it would have been easier. I was using 400 grit. I think it will be done after only two coats. Maybe 3 if I have to sand too much off again.

Last edited by toolbox; 03/16/07 07:21 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27113
03/16/07 10:47 AM
03/16/07 10:47 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Interlux recommends applying their paint with a roller, then smoothing out with a high-quality brush.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27114
03/16/07 11:06 AM
03/16/07 11:06 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

So far the results of my tests have shown that the brush actually comes out smoother than the roller . I used a semi-expensive Purdy 2" brush, and when it settled down I didn't have any brush strokes in the paint.

I just used a cheepie nylon bristol brush...lots of brush marks, but it's shinny!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27115
03/16/07 01:57 PM
03/16/07 01:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

It seems like the key to this is not worrying *too* much about how smooth the paint goes on but making sure that the paint is going on thick enough so that it can be easily sanded without any issues. You obviously still want to make it as smooth as possible since that makes sanding a lot easier. Am I right in thinking of it this way? That just makes the most sense to me. I'm going to try a couple of new techniques while rolling my next coat. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

PS - What kind of rollers are you guys using? I'm using little white 'roller foam' brand 4-6 inch rollers, and they leave behind a billion little bubbles (even if I use the double roller method).

Hint:
I've known people who've done the roller job for years back home on thier beaters... What they would do for bubbles is wrap the roller in a piece of their moms pantyhose and apply the paint like that...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #27116
03/16/07 01:59 PM
03/16/07 01:59 PM
Texas
T
texczech Offline
texczech  Offline
T

Texas
I have experimented with interlux and have found that rolling then smoothing with a foam brush works very well. I have even just used the foam brush with good success. There doesn't seem to be any top quality foam brushes, they all are the same I think. They are cheap to buy. Anyone try using foam brushes?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: texczech] #27117
03/16/07 05:17 PM
03/16/07 05:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Getting there though I think I need a better polish. It seems as though I have a good shine, but I can't get the polish off again.

Page 133 of 159 1 2 131 132 133 134 135 158 159