mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Hi Folks
Bbm 440-1 steel heads t&d rockers.
Race only car
Doing some general maintenance and noticed a lash cap (being used to correct a geometry issue) that was getting a groove worn in it from the roller tip. It’s the #2 ex. Valve. Roller tip looks perfect. Before I just replace it is there something I’m missing? Everything else looks perfect
Thanks G

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Last edited by Wirenut; 07/27/19 03:33 PM.
Re: Valva train issue [Re: Wirenut] #2681605
07/26/19 02:35 PM
07/26/19 02:35 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Maybe the heat treat is sub-par.
Swap it with another one and keep an eye on it.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Valva train issue [Re: Wirenut] #2681700
07/26/19 10:21 PM
07/26/19 10:21 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Originally Posted by Wirenut
Hi Folks
Bbm 440-1 steel heads t&d rockers.
Race only car
Doing some general maintenance and noticed a lash cap (being used to correct a geometry issue) that was getting a groove worn in it from the roller tip. It’s the #2 ex. Valve. Roller tip looks perfect. Before I just replace it is there something I’m missing? I very thing else looks perfect
Thanks G

Can you post a couple pics of the lash cap in question, as well as one that doesn't have excessive wear?

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.
Re: Valva train issue [Re: B3RE] #2681832
07/27/19 03:35 PM
07/27/19 03:35 PM
Ct
W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
New set arrived so will put on tomorrow.
Thanks for the reply’s.

Re: Valva train issue [Re: Wirenut] #2681842
07/27/19 04:27 PM
07/27/19 04:27 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
If I'm seeing the pics clearly, it looks like some serious valve float going on there. That's why I asked about the pics, because adding lash caps always makes the geometry worse with roller rocker. The engine doesn't know or care where the pattern is on the valve tip, but it certainly knows when the valvetrain is unstable. I'd investigate further, especially geometry, so you don't have damage more serious than just a lash cap. I hate to see stuff get busted up when it can be avoided.

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.
Re: Valva train issue [Re: Wirenut] #2681878
07/27/19 07:14 PM
07/27/19 07:14 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
There is a reason that only one cap looks like that, you need to identify it and fix it now wrench twocents
Do you remember if all the caps spun okay on the valve tips when you installed them? If so look elsewhere, if that one would not spin make sure the new one does up

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Valva train issue [Re: Wirenut] #2681909
07/27/19 10:00 PM
07/27/19 10:00 PM
Windsor, ON, Canada
D
Diplomat360 Online content
top fuel
Diplomat360  Online Content
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
So juding by appearances, it looks like the oil feed hole in that 3rd cap is much smaller, is that because the cap has been "pounded" so hard by the roller tip to actually close up the hole?

If so, it would imply there is a certain amount of clearance at some point in time to allow that pounding to happen. I think this is what B3RE is suggesting as well.

Re: Valva train issue [Re: B3RE] #2681956
07/28/19 09:03 AM
07/28/19 09:03 AM
Ct
W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Originally Posted by B3RE
If I'm seeing the pics clearly, it looks like some serious valve float going on there. That's why I asked about the pics, because adding lash caps always makes the geometry worse with roller rocker. The engine doesn't know or care where the pattern is on the valve tip, but it certainly knows when the valvetrain is unstable. I'd investigate further, especially geometry, so you don't have damage more serious than just a lash cap. I hate to see stuff get busted up when it can be avoided.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I had not considered valve float.
Are you basing this on the pattern of the worn cap or the others?

Re: Valva train issue [Re: Cab_Burge] #2681958
07/28/19 09:11 AM
07/28/19 09:11 AM
Ct
W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
There is a reason that only one cap looks like that, you need to identify it and fix it now wrench twocents
Do you remember if all the caps spun okay on the valve tips when you installed them? If so look elsewhere, if that one would not spin make sure the new one does up

Some were and still are tight . Meaning some will spin loosely by finger and some not . I did not try to spin the tight ones with anything more than my fingers.

Could this be nothing more than excessive lash on that one valve? Could I have miss adjusted? And if I did could it do that damage in 25 to 30 passes? This is a fairly fresh engine with new springs that are correct for the cam . Maybe 70 passes in total .Only turns about 6800

Thanks for your response I will look closer

Re: Valva train issue [Re: Wirenut] #2681988
07/28/19 10:50 AM
07/28/19 10:50 AM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I had not considered valve float.
Are you basing this on the pattern of the worn cap or the others?

All three, actually. The center cap in the photo clearly shows a star pattern typical of valve float/bounce. The third cap looks as though it has been abrading across the whole surface, while the first one looks as though it hammered through the surface hardening. Anytime valvetrain instability is present, it is like taking a jackhammer to all of the valvetrain parts. I like to use the example of taking a 16 pound bowling ball and sitting it on your foot. Then take the same bowling ball and drop it from three feet above your foot, and see how quickly you can get to an emergency room. The ball weighs the same, but the distance it had to close allowed the jackhammer effect. The springs may be strong enough for the weight of the valvetrain and cam profile, but it will have a hard time controlling the instability from incorrect geometry. I'll dig up a photo of a -1 head to show what it should look like without the lash caps.

Mike Beachel

Re: Valva train issue [Re: B3RE] #2681990
07/28/19 11:01 AM
07/28/19 11:01 AM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Here's a photo of a -1 headed motor with my custom T&D rockers and over ,700" lift. No lash caps, and very close, if not perfect, rocker geometry.

0427171544.jpg0524170934.jpg

Mike Beachel

Re: Valva train issue [Re: B3RE] #2682038
07/28/19 02:24 PM
07/28/19 02:24 PM
Ct
W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Thanks for the pics and sharing your experience .
Looked at pics of the sweep pattern from when I put the t&d set up on. Not nearly as short as yours. I thought they were acceptable at the time but obviously not.
Thanks again.

0A7892A6-F895-4FEC-B6A3-651273ADAD25.jpeg42629A1E-69F6-4FCA-9FC2-6C826DFE84AC.jpeg
Last edited by Wirenut; 07/28/19 02:25 PM.
Re: Valva train issue [Re: Wirenut] #2682044
07/28/19 02:40 PM
07/28/19 02:40 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Looked at pics of the sweep pattern from when I put the t&d set up on. Not nearly as short as yours. I thought they were acceptable at the time but obviously not.
Thanks again.

I absolutely hate to beat a dead horse, but you are the perfect example of why Chrysler guys drive me nuts...and I say that in the most friendly manner I can type so please don't take this wrong.

I don't care what rockers you use, on what heads, big or small block I'd bet everything I have, and some stuff I don't have that I can walk through the pits at any mopar race and show you 85% of the engines have valve train issues. The number 1 clue is lash caps. The number 2 clue is you aren't using a kit from B3 racing engines or, you haven't milled the stands off and are using google offset shafts and stands.

If I don't see that, you have geometry issues. Do guys get away with it? Sure do. But it still doesn't make it correct.

Literally, every week on the web I see guys asking about lash caps and being told it's not the fix, and sure as hell someone comes along and tells them they've been using lash caps since before the council of Trent and there's nothing wrong with them (there isn't a thing wrong with lash caps I you arent using them to correct geometry...and what's sad is Harlan Sharp tells anyone who asks the lash cap is the fix for geometry and they are wrong) and not to worry because the sweep is centered.

You hope eventually when someone has an idea that is functional and economical it would catch on. Why I have to repeat myself virtually every week about contacting B3 and getting his help is beyond me. I've had people PM me and ask what kick back I get from diving business his way. The truth is I don't. I pay for his stuff. I use his stuff.

The moral of the story is you have caught an issue before it went into the toilet. Call Mike and let him help you. Ignore the people who tell you it's anything but geometry. I think you'll find Mike easy to deal with and his stuff works.

Fix your geometry and then don't worry about the valve train. As a side note, I've had guys call me and tell m after correcting geometry they had to lash the valve less often and the lash wasn't moving like it was before they fixed their geometry.

If it wasn't for this site, and Mike posting his stuff here several years ago, I wouldn't know about his stuff. Thankfully, he has the ability to ignore the nay sayers and just keeps moving forward.

Please keep us updated on what happens. Hopefully what you do will help someone else from having issues.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Valva train issue [Re: Wirenut] #2682057
07/28/19 03:35 PM
07/28/19 03:35 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Thanks again.

Yes, the pattern is pretty wide, but don't feel bad. You are going on the information you've been told in the past. I see that, and worse, frequently.

Something else that raises a red flag is the pushrod I see in the pic. You haven't given any cam or spring specs, but an inexpensive 5/16" welded ball pushrod is likely way too small/weak of a pushrod for your application. That can also cause some serious valvetrain instability. It becomes a pole vault for the rocker arm when the pushrod flexes excessively. You should probably have a 3/8" x .080" wall pushrod, minimum, but if you can share cam and spring specs, we can be more precise.

With a stout roller cam, I like to step up to a 7/16" pushrod like these from Smith Bros.

0427171525.jpg0523171855.jpg

Mike Beachel

Re: Valva train issue [Re: madscientist] #2682059
07/28/19 03:43 PM
07/28/19 03:43 PM
Ct
W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Originally Posted by madscientist
Thanks again.

I absolutely hate to beat a dead horse, but you are the perfect example of why Chrysler guys drive me nuts...and I say that in the most friendly manner I can type so please don't take this wrong.

I don't care what rockers you use, on what heads, big or small block I'd bet everything I have, and some stuff I don't have that I can walk through the pits at any mopar race and show you 85% of the engines have valve train issues. The number 1 clue is lash caps. The number 2 clue is you aren't using a kit from B3 racing engines or, you haven't milled the stands off and are using google offset shafts and stands.

If I don't see that, you have geometry issues. Do guys get away with it? Sure do. But it still doesn't make it correct.

Literally, every week on the web I see guys asking about lash caps and being told it's not the fix, and sure as hell someone comes along and tells them they've been using lash caps since before the council of Trent and there's nothing wrong with them (there isn't a thing wrong with lash caps I you arent using them to correct geometry...and what's sad is Harlan Sharp tells anyone who asks the lash cap is the fix for geometry and they are wrong) and not to worry because the sweep is centered.

You hope eventually when someone has an idea that is functional and economical it would catch on. Why I have to repeat myself virtually every week about contacting B3 and getting his help is beyond me. I've had people PM me and ask what kick back I get from diving business his way. The truth is I don't. I pay for his stuff. I use his stuff.

The moral of the story is you have caught an issue before it went into the toilet. Call Mike and let him help you. Ignore the people who tell you it's anything but geometry. I think you'll find Mike easy to deal with and his stuff works.

Fix your geometry and then don't worry about the valve train. As a side note, I've had guys call me and tell m after correcting geometry they had to lash the valve less often and the lash wasn't moving like it was before they fixed their geometry.

If it wasn't for this site, and Mike posting his stuff here several years ago, I wouldn't know about his stuff. Thankfully, he has the ability to ignore the nay sayers and just keeps moving forward.

Please keep us updated on what happens. Hopefully what you do will help someone else from having issues.

Not sure what this is all about. I thanked the gentlemen trying to help each time I replied and reading back through my post I don’t see where I once contradict or argued the advice offered.

Re: Valva train issue [Re: B3RE] #2682061
07/28/19 03:48 PM
07/28/19 03:48 PM
Ct
W
Wirenut Offline OP
mopar
Wirenut  Offline OP
mopar
W

Ct
Thanks again.

Yes, the pattern is pretty wide, but don't feel bad. You are going on the information you've been told in the past. I see that, and worse, frequently.

Something else that raises a red flag is the pushrod I see in the pic. You haven't given any cam or spring specs, but an inexpensive 5/16" welded ball pushrod is likely way too small/weak of a pushrod for your application. That can also cause some serious valvetrain instability. It becomes a pole vault for the rocker arm when the pushrod flexes excessively. You should probably have a 3/8" x .080" wall pushrod, minimum, but if you can share cam and spring specs, we can be more precise.

With a stout roller cam, I like to step up to a 7/16" pushrod like these from Smith Bros.

Thanks again .
Perhaps at some point I can reach out to you through a pm for a phone # as there is too much to cove in this way.
That was a push rod used for mock up. It has manton rods in it.

Re: Valva train issue [Re: Wirenut] #2682069
07/28/19 04:27 PM
07/28/19 04:27 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA

That was a push rod used for mock up. It has manton rods in it.

Whew, that's a relief! I didn't think that would be right, but you never know. I've seen some wild stuff before. grin

Feel free to contact me when you're ready to discuss. Phone is preferable, but an initial pm is fine also. I'm not a great typist.

Mike Beachel

Re: Valva train issue [Re: Wirenut] #2682094
07/28/19 06:30 PM
07/28/19 06:30 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Originally Posted by madscientist
Thanks again.

Not sure what this is all about. I thanked the gentlemen trying to help each time I replied and reading back through my post I don’t see where I once contradict or argued the advice offered.

You didn't contradict or argue, but I'm sure there are many out there who will. That was my point. Just like Mike said above, you did the best with what you know.

Back in the early 1980's when Edelbrock came out with springs that had 300 pounds of seat pressure at 2.00 installed height, virtually every cam grinder I talked to said their cams didn't need a spring like that and their "lobes" weren't parts breakers. It was considered a SIN to say you needed that much spring.

My point is is the same way today with rocker arms and geometry. I can't think of a single company who will tell you you must check and correct your geometry and the best "fix" is lash caps. It seems that anything else is considered criminal in the minds of the head manufacturers and rocker makers.

I've bitched for years (actually decades now) that companies like Indy and Trick Flow (no picking on either just using them as examples) still make their heads with the shaft position buil into the head. There are too many variables in rocker arms alone to make whatever position they use correct in every application and is probably wrong in most applications. Is it close enough for most? Evidently. But then you get wierd stuff like you are seeing.

So I wasn't picking on you. Just using your example to maybe help someone else who may stumble onto this thread.

B3racingengines.com is Mike web site. His email and phone number is posted there, as are a real good set of technical articles.

Last edited by madscientist; 07/28/19 06:32 PM.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Valva train issue [Re: Wirenut] #2682148
07/28/19 09:30 PM
07/28/19 09:30 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Has anyone noticed that the ti retainers shown in the OP's picks don't fit the springs properly? The retainers are too small and don't sit centered on the springs... probably letting the springs move around at the top of the valve, which can't be good.

Re: Valva train issue [Re: BradH] #2682153
07/28/19 09:49 PM
07/28/19 09:49 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
I can't say how the fit is on the id of the outer spring (can't tell for sure from the pic), but the od only needs to be a minimum of the springs mean diameter (middle of the coil), Much larger than that is just added retainer weight, but they have got to be tight on the id to be that small. I've cut down and reprofiled steel retainers in the past and saved 8-10 grams each by making the od close to the spring mean diameter,

Mike Beachel

Page 1 of 2 1 2