01/27/07 10:31 PM
01/27/07 10:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

C38Coupe! No, I'm up in the North End. Its good to know there are folks from all over adding ideas and differing climates in which this process is being proven out. As for Stormin Norm M., well, the name Norman is the anglo-saxon morphing of Norseman, and heaven knows, we're in the North! Man! Its cold, this month! Luckily, I've got most of my car's interior inside my workshop where I can refinish it while I wait for the cold to come back down to -6C. My fingers freeze when I'm fiddling with wiring and small bolts.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26799
01/28/07 03:40 PM
01/28/07 03:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I got a picture of the Floor Polisher. It's not a Hoover, it's a GE. The discs are made of 5/8" G2S (Good 2 Sides) plywood, and the holder snap on bracket is mounted with wood screws. That means a person could cut out a new pair of discs to mount foam or wool pads. They're 5" diameter.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26800
01/28/07 10:57 PM
01/28/07 10:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am new and didnt intend on making a account but just reading but now I want to ask a question that I forget if I have seen the answer to or not because I have been reading this topic in chunks and not all at once I have forgotten some little details.

Anyways my question is:
Can you get the rustoleum tinted to any color you need when you buy it at a home depot or such? I want to do this way of painting but I am definitly doing an aquaish green paint job.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26801
01/29/07 12:01 AM
01/29/07 12:01 AM
wisconsin
1BAD68 Offline
super stock
1BAD68  Offline
super stock

wisconsin
I went to Home Depot and asked them, they said they're not mixing Rustoleum anymore but maybe Lowes or Menards would.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26802
01/29/07 08:01 AM
01/29/07 08:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I am new and didnt intend on making a account but just reading but now I want to ask a question that I forget if I have seen the answer to or not because I have been reading this topic in chunks and not all at once I have forgotten some little details.

Anyways my question is:
Can you get the rustoleum tinted to any color you need when you buy it at a home depot or such? I want to do this way of painting but I am definitly doing an aquaish green paint job.

Weldome Aboard!

My Home Depot doesn't mix it anymore, nor does my Lowes. I think charger mentioned early on that they used to mix the Professional stuff in Canada, but quit doing it. I suspect it is more related to the Rustoleum company not providing the primary colors necessary to mix it anymore. I even tried mixing my own and posted some pictures, but since we can't primary colors, the results were less than satisfactory if you are trying to match a factory color.

This is the one area where I am not as happy as I could be with this method. Of course you can always paint the whole car.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: kenzo42] #26803
01/29/07 11:11 AM
01/29/07 11:11 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Marq or anyone else w/ a 7424, does your 7424 make a crunching sound when on?

Nope... no crunching sound at all. Mine basically purrs. I would suggest that if the unit is still under warranty coverage that you get it in to the shop for repairs....

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26804
01/29/07 03:33 PM
01/29/07 03:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well this sucks because I am not painting my car any other color than what I entended.

BUT

I could use any kind of paint to paint my car if it is acrylic/enamel right?

Last edited by Abandoned67; 01/29/07 03:36 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26805
01/29/07 03:37 PM
01/29/07 03:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi All,

Another newbie here who used to live in Mississauga and found out about this thread via a British car forum. I have a 1962 Triumph TR4 that has spent the last 28 years in a barn. I have finished the mechanicals and needed to do something about the paint. I was following this for about 6 months before getting up the courage to do it.

Before starting, I have read most of this since the thread started and I do remember something about my problem, but the thought of re-reading it all is off-putting.

I am using US Rustoleum Professional Safety Red and as the fenders unbolt I am working on them in my basement. The fenders are too small for a roller, so I have been using foam brushes. I will use the rollers on the larger hood, trunk and door panels. I took the fenders back to bare metal and after rust removal I used Eastwood Rust Converter just to be sure. I applied 2 coats of un-thinned Rustoleum, then wet sanded it with 400. I then did another 2 un-thinned coats and wet sanded with 600. After drying the Rustoleum looked very wet with only marginal stroke marks. After the 600, I then thinned it with about 12% odorless mineral spirits. At first it went on like glass as 69chargeryeehaa described, but by the time I was into the second fender it was noticeably thickening back to normal.

I finished up and left it overnight. Today, the first fender looks a bit foggy and has a very light stickyness to it; the same feel as a very weak tack cloth. The second fender has heavier brush marks than if I applied the paint neat.

The pic shows the foggy fender, visible in the flash reflection.

Any recommendations.

3253560-100_1349.JPG (482 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26806
01/29/07 03:48 PM
01/29/07 03:48 PM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
I know a lot of people have painted cars that have rubber bumpers or flexible body part. Has anyone experienced cracking and peeling on these flexible body parts as a result of not using a Flexing agent? I am using Rustoleum Stops Rust and was wondering if I need to find a flexing agent to put in the paint.

Gerbs

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26807
01/29/07 08:13 PM
01/29/07 08:13 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
smeg - i live in mississauga!!! where you live now? as for the brush, DON'T USE IT!!!, trust me and use the rollers, even if you think it's too small it would be a much better finish in the end, the only time i use a brush is in a tight spot, i start with the brush and finish as much as i can with the roller, and you'd be supprised how well you get get virtually anywhere with a roller if you use both ends (rounded and flat). The way you describe the paint after it's dry is perfect, that's how it should feel, try to wetsand it, wet the pannel and paper(good to also soak the paper in water for at least 10 minutes before using it so it softens up. When you start wetsanding you'll see the water just wants to bead up, wetsand lightly at first until the water stops beading up, and until you get a smooth-flat surface. hope that helps.

v8mirage - the paint remains very flexable, case in point - i was driving my charger down a country road at night, and out jumped a deer, there was nothing i could do, i hit it at about 40mph, right on the front pass fender (which is fiberglass) and i watched it buckle up (flex) about 1 foot up as the deer came to a stop at about 9g's and died. Deer = dead, fender = perfect.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: v8mirage] #26808
01/29/07 08:32 PM
01/29/07 08:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

First post but I've been reading this thread for awhile. Painted my 83 Isuzu Imark this way & very happy with the results. My first coats were too heavy & the paint was too thick so it had runs & orange peel. I wetsanded it back & fixed some newly discovered dings that weren't evident before as the original paint was dead & flat as primer.

I found the white roller pads worked better than the yellow. White 1's are denser & therefor heavier/ less compressable. Haven't done a 1500 colorsand & buff yet and there is orange peel but total cost is less than $75. I have lots of detail/buffing exp & will borrow a buffer from the last dealership I worked at when I do. (It's nice to stay friends with them). I used Rustoleum Stops Rust Smoke Gray & did the jambs, hood/trunk edges with a rattle can.

What is the latest mindset on clear over Rustoleum after buffing? I'm hoping to buff up an acceptable shine without using it in case future fixes are ever needed.

Here's a look after 2 properly thinned coats before wetsanding. Shine is evident but bondo spots still show thru. Also shows the 2 kinds of pads I tried. The white ones are Shur-Line brand I got at Sears.

Here she is reassembled -

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: v8mirage] #26809
01/29/07 08:44 PM
01/29/07 08:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The indicated part between the bumper/body is rubber and so far no problems.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26810
01/29/07 09:13 PM
01/29/07 09:13 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I got a picture of the Floor Polisher. It's not a Hoover, it's a GE. The discs are made of 5/8" G2S (Good 2 Sides) plywood, and the holder snap on bracket is mounted with wood screws. That means a person could cut out a new pair of discs to mount foam or wool pads. They're 5" diameter.

For those of us who can't afford the PC 7424 right now (my wallet is still hurting from my welder purchase last week, and all the stuff I need with it), Harbour Freight just sent out their Preferred Customer coupons with a random orbital 10" buffer that regularly sells for $30, and is now $14.99 with the coupon. Its worth signing up for if you want one.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26811
01/29/07 09:25 PM
01/29/07 09:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

smeg - i live in mississauga!!! where you live now? as for the brush, DON'T USE IT!!!, trust me and use the rollers, even if you think it's too small it would be a much better finish in the end, the only time i use a brush is in a tight spot, i start with the brush and finish as much as i can with the roller, and you'd be supprised how well you get get virtually anywhere with a roller if you use both ends (rounded and flat). The way you describe the paint after it's dry is perfect, that's how it should feel, try to wetsand it, wet the pannel and paper(good to also soak the paper in water for at least 10 minutes before using it so it softens up. When you start wetsanding you'll see the water just wants to bead up, wetsand lightly at first until the water stops beading up, and until you get a smooth-flat surface. hope that helps.

v8mirage - the paint remains very flexable, case in point - i was driving my charger down a country road at night, and out jumped a deer, there was nothing i could do, i hit it at about 40mph, right on the front pass fender (which is fiberglass) and i watched it buckle up (flex) about 1 foot up as the deer came to a stop at about 9g's and died. Deer = dead, fender = perfect.

I don't yet have all the experience with this method you do charger, but I have to agree on that last bit being a roller. I found with my car it didn't seem to much matter what I put on the first application with as long as it was thin enough and I went over it with the roller as the last step.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26812
01/29/07 09:26 PM
01/29/07 09:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good Job - SoYank.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26813
01/29/07 10:43 PM
01/29/07 10:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey Charger, firstly thanks to you and the others for sharing your experiences. I live near Philadelphia now, but had a good few years in Mississauga. I will go with the roller.

Any comments about the speed that the mineral spirits seem to be evaporating? 10 minutes and the consistency thickened noticeably. It means that I should hardly mix any volume up, which isn't very practical. I wanted to mix up a batch and keep it in a sealed container. Also, can you add more mineral spirits to a paint batch that has had them evaporate?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26814
01/30/07 07:51 AM
01/30/07 07:51 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I recall people had problems with the odorless mineral spirits.

Try to get some regular mineral spirits.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26815
01/30/07 09:23 AM
01/30/07 09:23 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Hi All,

Another newbie here who used to live in Mississauga and found out about this thread via a British car forum. I have a 1962 Triumph TR4 that has spent the last 28 years in a barn.

Yummmmm... TR 4 I had a total of 5 TR4A's all with the IRS ( Independent Rear Suspension - not the Internal Revenue Service ).

My first advice on restoring an older TR4 is to go over that frame with a screwdriver and check it out from the front to the rear - paying particular attention to the spot in the box frame where it crosses in an X pattern, just in front of the differential. The fatal flaw of the TR4's and TR6's is that the box or channel frame usually blocked up the drainage holes in the bottom of the frame and the drainage holes on the side of the box/channel was too high up for water to drain out. So the box/channel frame would RUST OUT big time.

I only mention that... because of the first TR4A that I rebuilt. Foolishly I went for the body restoration first... and after putting in a couple hundred hours on the body... the frame cracked while I was driving it. I think back to all the work I put into that puppy, only to get screwed by the frame splitting arrrghhhh...

So double check the frame before going too deep into the cosmetic aspects of your TR4.

That having been said... the tackiness of the paint problem sounds like the initial thicker layers ABSORBED the mineral spirits that you later added to the lateer coats. At this point you can either let it sit and hope that it will evaporate out over time and harden. If it stays soft... I would be tempted to take a heavily soaked towel ( with mineral spirits ) and try to rub off as much of the paint as you can ( in order to try to remove as much of those thicker layers as you can ( basically to start over on that panel ).

And I would definitely stick with the 4" white high density foam rollers and leave the foam brushes only for popping bubbles. I know those panels like the back of my hand and I know it can be done.

Good luck on your TR4.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26816
01/30/07 12:02 PM
01/30/07 12:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Marq,

Unlike the TR4 I had back in the 70's (showing my age here), the frame on this one is solid and I have already cleaned up the small amount of surface rust it had. It has a solid rear axle, so there are no issues with the rear IRS mounts like on the 4A. I also had a TR5 when I lived in the UK; wish I still had that one.

I did a wet sand on it and it came up good, so I will continue on. What I found was that the thinned paint was thickening up in the container. Is the list consensus that this is because I have used odorless mineral spirits as "Mike Da Wrench" has suggested - no offense Mike, I appreciate the feedback and I am just polling a larger sample size.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26817
01/30/07 12:10 PM
01/30/07 12:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another question. I always thought that you should knock the shine off paint before applying another coat over it. The instructions here are to do 2 coats before wet sanding, but do you knock the shine off in between the 2? I have been, and I am wondering if it is unnecessary with the Rustoleum Pro; I have a lot of car left to do.

Page 118 of 159 1 2 116 117 118 119 120 158 159