03/25/09 09:50 PM
03/25/09 09:50 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline OP
master
moparmojo  Offline OP
master

missouri, USA
On I am replacing the floor pans in my 1970 Challenger. I bought the AMD Full front pan and the mid pans. I have the car up on jack stands supported at 6 points and leveled the car out front to back and side to side by shimming the floor jacks. It's supported under the axle tubes, the front wheels are up on car ramps my Gramdpa and Dad made back in the 70s and there is mid support under the brackets that come off the rocker a couple inches.

Anyway, I took my time removing the old floor as this is my first floor pan install. I used a spot weld cutter and various tools to remove the floor. I tried not to butcher it up. The new AMD pan seems to go in pretty easy but my issue is the floor pan lip on each side seems to sit too high. But when under the car, the pan seem to be sitting on the center brace, meeting at the front cowl lip, and sitting on the two small brackets coming off the rockers. It just seems as though it is sitting high when I compare it to where the spot weld cutter marks are on the rocker. So I am not sure if I am missing something as this is my first pan install. Is there a method to installing this to where it will drop in? Should I start in the center out?... or use something like sheet metal screws to pull it down? I also thought about using a hammer and dolly to massage the lip a little. It seems like it is 1/4 inch or so high in a couple spots. Others it seems fine. Even the holes in the new pan seem to line up with the holes in the brackets flush below it....I am a novice so any friendly advice would be much appreciated.

Re: In Progress Floor Pan install....question. [Re: moparmojo] #266591
03/25/09 09:53 PM
03/25/09 09:53 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline OP
master
moparmojo  Offline OP
master

missouri, USA
Guess my tags did not come over with the pics. Anyway, the original pan (pic 1 & 2)sits lower than the indent in the rocker. But the new pan seems to sit just below the indent. So I am not sure if there is some adjustment that I need to be making, if this is common, or what. The last pic is just of the floor pans sitting loosely in there (no clamps). I did put some clamps on it, but it still seems high in areas.

Re: In Progress Floor Pan install....question. [Re: moparmojo] #266592
03/25/09 09:54 PM
03/25/09 09:54 PM
340dart4spd Offline
Parts Problem
340dart4spd  Offline
Parts Problem

Quote:

On I am replacing the floor pans in my 1970 Challenger. I bought the AMD Full front pan and the mid pans. I have the car up on jack stands supported at 6 points and leveled the car out front to back and side to side by shimming the floor jacks. It's supported under the axle tubes, the front wheels are up on car ramps my Gramdpa and Dad made back in the 70s and there is mid support under the brackets that come off the rocker a couple inches.

Anyway, I took my time removing the old floor as this is my first floor pan install. I used a spot weld cutter and various tools to remove the floor. I tried not to butcher it up. The new AMD pan seems to go in pretty easy but my issue is the floor pan lip on each side seems to sit too high. But when under the car, the pan seem to be sitting on the center brace, meeting at the front cowl lip, and sitting on the two small brackets coming off the rockers. It just seems as though it is sitting high when I compare it to where the spot weld cutter marks are on the rocker. So I am not sure if I am missing something as this is my first pan install. Is there a method to installing this to where it will drop in? Should I start in the center out?... or use something like sheet metal screws to pull it down? I also thought about using a hammer and dolly to massage the lip a little. It seems like it is 1/4 inch or so high in a couple spots. Others it seems fine. Even the holes in the new pan seem to line up with the holes in the brackets flush below it....I am a novice so any friendly advice would be much appreciated.

Man..those pans look sweet..have not had a chance to try AMD products..but the like almost as nice as NOS..I said almost...

Re: In Progress Floor Pan install....question. [Re: 340dart4spd ] #266593
03/25/09 10:57 PM
03/25/09 10:57 PM
Milwaukee, WI
In_The_Pink Offline
master
In_The_Pink  Offline
master

Milwaukee, WI
Is the top flange on the AMD and orignal pan the same height? Sometimes repro pieces have extra material along the edges to allow you to custom fit it to your vehicle.

I can't speak for the fit of AMD pieces, but there's no such thing as a perfect fit when working with repro sheet metal, so the hammer and dollies will come in handy. I suggest you buy and use some Cleco pins to hold the pans in place while your fitting them, too.

If it feels wrong and doesn't look like it's fitting correctly, don't weld it yet.

Re: In Progress Floor Pan install....question. [Re: In_The_Pink] #266594
03/25/09 11:10 PM
03/25/09 11:10 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline OP
master
moparmojo  Offline OP
master

missouri, USA
Well I cant see any physical differences. The flanges are the same size at about 3/4 of an inch tall. I could understand if it did not appear to be sitting flush on the braces, but it is.

Re: In Progress Floor Pan install....question. [Re: moparmojo] #266595
03/26/09 12:02 AM
03/26/09 12:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

With the new pan out,have a close looks at all the flanges and make sure there is no metal burrs,bent flanges,or anything else that would keep the pan from sitting down.Also look for interferance from seat belt anchors or other welded on parts that could contact somewhere.
Could be that the new pan is a tad deeper on the side????

Re: In Progress Floor Pan install....question. #266596
03/26/09 08:38 AM
03/26/09 08:38 AM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
Quote:

With the new pan out,have a close looks at all the flanges and make sure there is no metal burrs,bent flanges,or anything else that would keep the pan from sitting down.Also look for interferance from seat belt anchors or other welded on parts that could contact somewhere.
Could be that the new pan is a tad deeper on the side????

Also, these cars were made with some very loose tolerances. There will be some variatons form car to car (as much as 1/4"). So some tweeking will be required. If the pan sit flat on all the braces and cross members and be attached to the rockers properly, then I think you are good.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1
Re: In Progress Floor Pan install....question. [Re: RoadRunner] #266597
03/26/09 05:26 PM
03/26/09 05:26 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline OP
master
moparmojo  Offline OP
master

missouri, USA
Well it does seem to sit on the brackets and cross member fairly flat. But the sides seem high compared to where the original sat. Where it stands now, it still could technically be installed, but I don't think it would be right. Everything seems to look the same, so I am having trouble pin pointing what is different. I will retry clamping everything and see if I can massage a better fitment out of it. Try to take some better pics if I can.

Re: In Progress Floor Pan install....question. [Re: moparmojo] #266598
03/26/09 10:46 PM
03/26/09 10:46 PM
missouri, USA
moparmojo Offline OP
master
moparmojo  Offline OP
master

missouri, USA
Ok, well I went out there tonite and marked a line around the floor pan lip at the rocker. I took the pan back out and went around the rocker and tapped down a few high spots I found. Looking at the line I marked it seems fairly close and only high towards the back. I took the pan and massaged any high spots or possible inconsistancies in the lip. Put the pan back in and really tried to pay attention to how it matched up with that line on the rocker I drew. I pressed down in all areas to make sure I would sit flat. I think I may have found the issue. Previously I said it was sitting on the brackets but I think it may not have been flat on the brackets. I hadn't noticed but the brackets actually point upwards towards the center of the car. I guess they help sort of pre bend or put a slight amount of tension in the pan. I pressed down on the pan at the brackets and it sat more flushed but pulled up a little on the other side. So this weekend, I am going to go around and clamp in the lip where I want it. Hopefully this is take care of it. I'll have to do the whole perimeter to make sure. Keep you posted.

Re: In Progress Floor Pan install....question. [Re: moparmojo] #266599
03/27/09 01:09 AM
03/27/09 01:09 AM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
At The body shop when I would help with a pan or floor it was almost always like that.
At times we would center it and get it close put a few screws in it beat the rest with hammer dolly few more screws then have someone stand or push with a hammer handle at an area while welding.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough