Mequon, WI
G
gzig5 Offline OP
enthusiast
gzig5  Offline OP
enthusiast
G

Mequon, WI
I got my car back from the shop after they pulled the pulled the trans to replace the defective torque convertor. I've found that to get it into gear, I have to hold it back pretty hard against the stop for D or give it a rap, then it will drop into drive. Same thing for first if I want to manually shift 1-2-D, the shifter has to be held hard against the rear stop. Second seems to work about normal. I think I didn't notice when I picked it up because I dropped into 2nd and then up to D that first time. I pulled the trans myself last fall for rebuild and put it back in. No problem with shifter at that time. Shifter worked perfectly before they dropped the trans. Going forward through the gears using the gates doesn't seem to be a problem.

The shop is an hour away and I want to take a shot at fixing it but am not sure what to start. When I took it out, I removed the kickdown and shifter levers form the trans and put them back where they were. I thought they were both detented so the lever went on the shaft in one position? So that leaves the rod that comes from the shifter torque shaft. Is that where it would be adjusted and which way do I go?

Re: 727TF Slapstick Adjustment [Re: gzig5] #2654968
05/13/19 01:09 PM
05/13/19 01:09 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I would take the rod off of the trans horizontle flat shifter lever & move the lever to neutral then adj the shifter to the neutral position then shorten/lengthen the rod so it drops right down into the trans lever. or any other position of the trans lever & with the shifter in the corresponding position (park/park etc). that might be too simplified but that'd be my take/where I'd start. then see if each shifter position places the trans in the gear it is supposed to be in.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: 727TF Slapstick Adjustment [Re: RapidRobert] #2654969
05/13/19 01:18 PM
05/13/19 01:18 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by RapidRobert
I would take the rod off of the trans horizontle flat shifter lever & move the lever to neutral then adj the shifter to the neutral position then shorten/lengthen the rod so it drops right down into the trans lever. or any other position of the trans lever & with the shifter in the corresponding position (park/park etc). that might be too simplified but that'd be my take/where I'd start. then see if each shifter position places the trans in the gear it is supposed to be in.
iagree scope
The adjustments are there for production cars, so make sure the rod drops into the shift lever in every position up Take your time and don't get frustrated, hopefully you'll nail it the first time luck

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)