12/28/06 02:25 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

...I've spent the better part of 4 months reading, and re-reading, posts in this thread and have come to the conclusion that THE top dog, number 1, question that a person NEEDS to ask, and answer themselves - honestly - it seems BEFORE even starting to think proceeding with this project today while thinking only about tomorrow seems to be...

"Do I really have the patience, along with the desire and drive to do what it actually takes to see this project through from start to finish?"

Once this answer has been reached, the next question before starting this project goes back to asking yet again...

"Do I really have the patience this kind of project demands?"

If a person can't be up front and honest with themselves from the start in answering these questions, it seems (from reading a number of the "undesired results" postings by a number of people) they wont get the end result they're seeking.

Maybe it's just my warped observations, but when reading back through posts where this system seems to be failing people, then placing the posts up against a time line laying the paint, number of coats, and cure times allowed before polishing... patience (IMHO) seems to be the biggest downfall each time.

Be that a lack of patience in proper surface prep, laying the paint on too thick or too soon before a prior coat, enough drying time before a wetsanding, or long enough cure time before starting the polishing steps.

I've read posts where a cure time has been put in a number of weeks, then being unhappy because the paint was too soft. Only to back-track postings and see that the time marks between the final coat applied, last wetsanding and the start of polish to wax were only a few days as apposed to a number of weeks needed for paint to cure by these same posting persons...

You may find this quote from page #1 interesting...

Quote:

...I find that after thinning the paint with mineral spirits the paint "flashes" or dries really quickly, and after a overnight period it is completely dry, unlike automotive paint which takes up to 6 months to fully "cure" so litterally the next day you can sand, buff, polish, and wax the paint.

You may want to go back to this web page and refresh your memory on the originally suggested technique...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26539
12/28/06 11:02 AM
12/28/06 11:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

You may want to go back to this web page and refresh your memory on the originally suggested technique...

I guess what didn't get posted back then is "Your results may vary."

I also recall reading that everyone has been encouraged to first do a test panel, and not rush into doing the whole car. Perfect the technique. I'm not saying that you rushed it Chuck...I really don't remember everything you went through. I have more pressing things than the paint to worry about on my ride right now...but the idea and process have me interested. I do need to stop the rust...so I may just spray bomb those areas till I find a color I like.

Last edited by thorn; 12/28/06 11:08 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26540
12/28/06 12:40 PM
12/28/06 12:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey Thorn,

Try phosphoric acid as a quick treatment on active rust. I have used POR's Metal Ready, but other brands ( Ospho ) will do as long as the active ingredient is the same.

I have open rust wounds I treated as long as 5 years ago that have remained non-active.

The benefit to this over paint is that the phosphoric acid does not cover up anything (so it doesn't seal moisture in where it can do more harm) and allows you to monitor the status of the wound so you can promptly re-treat if necessary.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26541
12/28/06 01:08 PM
12/28/06 01:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I found this out about using it for rust removal: I love Wikipedia!

Quote:

Phosphoric acid may be used by direct application to rusted iron or steel tools or surfaces to convert iron(III) oxide (rust) to a water soluble phosphate compound. It is usually available as a greenish liquid, suitable for dipping (acid bath), but is more generally used as a component in a gel, commonly called Naval jelly. As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces. Care must be taken to avoid acid burns of the skin and especially the eyes, but the residue is easily diluted with water. When sufficiently diluted it can even be nutritious to plant life, containing the essential nutrients phosphorus and iron. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer". It should not be directly introduced into surface water such as creeks or into drains, however. After treatment, the reddish-brown iron oxide will be converted to a black iron phosphate compound coating that may be scrubbed off. Multiple applications may be required to remove all rust. The resultant black compound can provide further corrosion resistance (such protection is somewhat provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes.) After application and removal of rust using phosphoric acid compounds, the metal should be oiled (if to be used bare, as in a tool) or appropriately painted, most durably by using a multiple coat process of primer, intermediate, and finish coats.

I like the idea of sealing out the moisture.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26542
12/28/06 02:43 PM
12/28/06 02:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I stand corrected then, -6 months- for automotive paints to properly cure.

So I'll delay the polishing and waxing steps for a minimum of 12-18 months instead of the originally planned minimum of 12-18 weeks.

Final results photos should be ready around Summer - Fall 2008. Which in turn, will work out perfectly against my scheduled restoration completion Works for me.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26543
12/28/06 03:53 PM
12/28/06 03:53 PM
Central Ohio
L
Ledman_70 Offline
mopar
Ledman_70  Offline
mopar
L

Central Ohio
I have read a lot, but not all of the posts on roller painting, but I have a question...since you can't paint metallic with this method, has anyone ever tried to shoot a little metallic in some clear over top a roller job? Seems to me that would be possible, but maybe it would look like it just layed on top the paint. What do you guys think???

Jeff Adams 64 426 Polara
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Ledman_70] #26544
12/28/06 05:00 PM
12/28/06 05:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I have read a lot, but not all of the posts on roller painting, but I have a question...since you can't paint metallic with this method, has anyone ever tried to shoot a little metallic in some clear over top a roller job? Seems to me that would be possible, but maybe it would look like it just layed on top the paint. What do you guys think???

A couple of guys have tried to layer metallic spray bomb between rolled layers. It started to get muted and you could hardly tell there was any metallic there. As far as putting it over the paint in a clear spray bomb? If you're just doing a stripe you might be able to get away with it. If you're trying to do the whole car it might be a challenge, not to mention lots of spray bombs!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26545
12/28/06 11:21 PM
12/28/06 11:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have a lot of surface rust on my Galaxie which is possibly a new variable in all this stuff. I would expect to sand the surface rust down to bare metal and smooth sand the rest with 320 grit. I was planning to use brightside for it's possibly glossier finish and probable ease of use. Now I am thinking that I should maybe go with Rustoleum for it's certain ability to seal the rust despite it's being a little tougher to use and maybe not being as easy to buff glossy? Or do I use a phosphoric acid base rust sealer and prime any bare metal and go with the brightside anyway?
I agree that patience is the best way to approach this process and it begins with thoroughly reading this thread and learning what previous rollers have experienced. But man I want to get my car in paint!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26546
12/29/06 01:35 AM
12/29/06 01:35 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Don't forget you can use primer under the brightside. Mine has 20 coats of rustoleum under it hee hee

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #26547
12/29/06 03:51 AM
12/29/06 03:51 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Don't forget you can use primer under the brightside. Mine has 20 coats of rustoleum under it hee hee

He is right.. My car has about 4 layers of Tremclad on it AND then I switched to Brightside in mid job with no compatibility or adhesion problems..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26548
12/29/06 09:53 AM
12/29/06 09:53 AM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
I used Rust-bullet on my car on the panels that had surface rust. Apply it as directed, maybe with an extra coat, using a roller, then sand to give it a little tooth, and smooth it out, for the other paint to bite into and go. Its in one of the adds at the top and/or bottom of this page. I like it better than POR-15 cuz I can paint over it easier and doesn't have all the other steps that you need to do before applying. Plus I couldn't get the POR-15 to look right, I'm not sure why.

Gerbs

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: v8mirage] #26549
12/29/06 11:11 AM
12/29/06 11:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I used Rust-bullet on my car on the panels that had surface rust. Apply it as directed, maybe with an extra coat, using a roller, then sand to give it a little tooth, and smooth it out, for the other paint to bite into and go. Its in one of the adds at the top and/or bottom of this page. I like it better than POR-15 cuz I can paint over it easier and doesn't have all the other steps that you need to do before applying. Plus I couldn't get the POR-15 to look right, I'm not sure why.

Gerbs

I had to turn off my add blocker and I found an add for RestoRick selling Zero Rust. It doesn't sound like the same stuff you used. I've heard that POR-15 is used best on the frame.

Quote:

• The full cure can take from only a couple days to a couple weeks depending how wet the coats are applied. It will get tougher and harder with time.

• Zero Rust accepts recoating easily and only needs a light scuff, if after a week. Zero Rust can be topcoated with urethane ONLY with extreme caution as lifting or wrinkling can occur because of their strong solvents. The film must be fully cured and hard enough to not be penetrated with a fingernail before recoating. Apply a light first coat to prevent shocking the finish. Allow this first coat to dry to the touch and then proceed with a normal coat.

• Zero Rust is NOT recommended for use on exterior areas where a finish system will be used. It is best suited to coating underbody areas, inside body panels, floor pans, etc.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26550
12/29/06 11:38 AM
12/29/06 11:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is kinda a neat feature!

Quote:

• Zero Rust can be used in hidden areas such as inside doors, deck lids, etc. by thinning from 40 to 50% and pouring it into the cavities. Coat the inner surfaces by rotating the part. Excess can be drained back into a container for future use. Be sure to "mop" up any overflow drips.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26551
12/29/06 01:24 PM
12/29/06 01:24 PM
Central Ohio
L
Ledman_70 Offline
mopar
Ledman_70  Offline
mopar
L

Central Ohio
Actually, I was talking about throwing some metallic in the clear and shooting it with an HVLP gun. Yea, I know, if I have the gun why not just shoot the paint, right? Well, I will if I can't find a way to roll metallic.

Jeff Adams 64 426 Polara
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26552
12/29/06 01:38 PM
12/29/06 01:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Website I stumbled across. Thought I would share if there was any interest.

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26553
12/29/06 02:40 PM
12/29/06 02:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Website I stumbled across. Thought I would share if there was any interest.

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

And now I have come full circle! This is the site I originally found referring to the $50 paint job. His paint job looked so good I began to follow through with this site. And he has a lot of other little tips and tricks he mentions on his site that work well too.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26554
12/29/06 02:44 PM
12/29/06 02:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

that corvair looks great

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26555
12/29/06 08:45 PM
12/29/06 08:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thats a sweet looking Falcon wagon on the street also.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26556
12/30/06 09:34 AM
12/30/06 09:34 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Don't use POR15 under....it's real picky. if you use it, you need to put your top coat on while it is still slightly tacky, otherwise nothing will stick to it. and if you use it as a topcoat, UV rays will make it dull and chalky in about 5 months.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: patrick] #26557
12/30/06 07:16 PM
12/30/06 07:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey all! I have been lurking here for a few months and just got to the point where I could try this on my 82 Z28. I am using Rustoleum Navy Blue marine paint. All I can say is wow. It laid down real smooth and flat for my first coat with very little orange peel. I am doing the read deck lid as a test piece to see if I like the color. So far it looks very promising. I attached a pic of the first coat. I will take some better ones in the morning when the sun comes out. I would like to say thank you to all who have spent so much time documenting their progress and a special thanks to charger for bringing this method to the main stream. Let me know how this looks for a first coat. I will post pics of coat 2 tomorrow. Take care all.

Bill

3173909-wideshot.jpg (582 downloads)
Page 105 of 159 1 2 103 104 105 106 107 158 159