12/25/06 11:31 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[quote
From everything I read about POR15, it is a superior painting system. BUT... and the big BUT is that applying a single stage polyurathane requires far less surface preparation and is more compatible to the average skills of most do-it-yourselfers...
...Marq

Thanks Marq.

I have a real issue with rust because my car already has it and I have heard that once it is there, it has to be cut and replaced with fresh meat, er metal. Since none of the rust is structural, and the car isn't likely to be worth much in the future, I was looking for a DIY solution in the spirit of the $50 paint job.

I have used por on a variety of small rust repair jobs where finish quality wasn't important, and it works. I was under the impression that its sucess was due to its ability to lock out air and moisture from the surface of the metal.

Are you saying that a smooth finish on a large scale with por is perhaps beyond the skillset of a beginning roller? I did not understand the single stage urethane reference.

On another note, with proper surface preparation, Do you think por-15 (or silver bullet)is unnecessary with the rustoleum paint?

I'm not so sure that some of POr's legendary results aren't due to the use of phosphoric acid (metal ready) during prep. I have some spots that I hit only with the metal ready and never topcoated, and they have not re-rusted in 5 years of outside exposure.

In fact, Whatever I end up using to ward off rust (POR-15, silver bullet, small animal sacrifice...), I will be prepping the bare metal with a liberal wash of metal ready.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26519
12/25/06 12:54 PM
12/25/06 12:54 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I have a real issue with rust because my car already has it and I have heard that once it is there, it has to be cut and replaced with fresh meat, er metal.

Rust is indeed the cancer that slowly eats away at our cars until the day they finally go to that great smelter in the sky.

In my book there are really two types of rust. There is surface rust and there is 'advanced rust'.

Surface rust is the easiest to deal with. The intergrity of the metal itself has not yet been compromised. So to deal with it you just have to sand off the surface particles and apply 'something' over the formerly rusty surface that will cheat it from having access to OXYGEN and moisture ( don't forget that H20 is one part hydrogen and two parts oxygen ). IF you can starve that rust area of oxygen and moisture, it is darn near impossible for the rust to rally again.

This is the difference between a car that has lived in a super dry and hot climate and one that lives near the ocean or in any of the moderate temperature climates.

So just keep that principle in mind when looking at surface rust. You simply want to starve it.

The more difficult rust to deal with is the advanced rust that has eaten its way through the sheet metal - or that has begun or completed the conversion of the formerly flexible metal into the more shale or rock like rust. This is the stuff that has to be cut out and replaced with new metal. Because once the metal hits this advanced stage of rust there is NO CHEMICAL known to mankind that can return the shale or rock like rust back to the flexible metal that once existed there.

Now... there are some chemicals out there that promise to kill in its tracks any of this advanced rusting and freeze it so that there is no further advancing of the rust. This is absolutely true. BUT you are still left with an area that has the flexibility of shale or a rock. You would be able to do surface preparation over such a chemically treated area and get primed and painted. But nonetheless that area will have zero flesibility and would be destined to crack the paint if that area is flexed ( because it would stay rigid while the surrounding area would flex ).

Another factor would be the rate of expansion during temperature changes of the metal area versus the chemically treat shale and rock rust area. Different rates of expansion gurantee future cracks in the paint. A crack in the paint gives oxygen and moisture a pathway back to the chemically treated area. Eventually it will reach the surrounding areas that do not have the chemical treatment through a process called papillary action - where it seeps and travels between the subsurface of the body and the paint skin.

The key principle to remember here is that if you have holes that are all the way through.. or the rust has converted the former flexible metal to shale or rock... you have to remove it and replace it.

Quote:

Since none of the rust is structural, and the car isn't likely to be worth much in the future, I was looking for a DIY solution in the spirit of the $50 paint job.

The best place for most of these 'freezes rust in its tracks' compounds is the undercarriage of the car. These are ideal spots to be using that type of chemical because undercarriage and subframe rust is ultimately what will send your car to the wrecker ( barring an accident or fire first ).

Quote:

I have used por on a variety of small rust repair jobs where finish quality wasn't important, and it works. I was under the impression that its sucess was due to its ability to lock out air and moisture from the surface of the metal.

Exactly right. It chokes off the access of oxygen and moisture from the metal surface.

Quote:

Are you saying that a smooth finish on a large scale with por is perhaps beyond the skillset of a beginning roller?

I believe anyone can get the stuff on to a cars body. But some problems arise. To do the roller method properly you need to thin the paint. This helps with the self-spreading / self-leveling. By adding thinner to POR you are chemically changing it or altering the way it was designed by the manufacturer to be used. You also may be altering its effectiveness at doing what it was designed to do. The other difference will rest on how the subsequent surface sanding or adhesion of the later paint layers may turn out.

Quote:

I did not understand the single stage urethane reference.

Think of a polyurathane as simply being a liquid plastic type paint. A single stage polyurathane is a self-contained paint... in that its ability to dry and harden is all in that ONE can. You slap that one stage paint on and it dries on its own merits based on the evaporation of the 'carrier' that the paint comes with.

But as in everything in the world, people always want faster and quicker... So the paint industry came up with a TWO stage paint... where you basically get one can with paint and one can with the catalyst or drying/hardening agent. Prior to using the TWO stage polyurathane, you have to blend the two cans together.

In body work, this would be like saying that glazing putty is a one stage chemical ( since you usually just squirt it out of the tube to appy it ) and comparing it against Bondo as being a two stage chemical ( since you have to combine the Bondo with its hardening creme to get it to harden and dry ).

All this having been said... Rustoleum painted over a prepared surface rust area will do the job of choking off the oxygen and moisture to that metal surface. This is what it was chemically designed to do in the first place. So it is a safe bet for achieving what you want for surface rust.

Brightside on the other hand was originally designed to be use on boats - the majority of which are fiberglass. But to Brightside's advantage it is basically a liquid plastic. And as such its polymers do provide an excellent seal against penetration from oxygen and moisture from reaching the subsurface. Combined with the polyurathane's better adhesion qualities I think you can safely consider it as a safe bet for painting over prepared surface rust areas.

Quote:

On another note, with proper surface preparation, Do you think por-15 (or silver bullet)is unnecessary with the rustoleum paint?

I believe you can go either way on this. You can either treat the POR as the surface primer and than lay Rustoleum/Tremclad or Brightside over it... OR you can bypass the POR stage and go straight to the Rustoleum/Tremclad or Brightside painting. The deciding factor will be your confidence leval at which way will ultimately give you the longest lasting effect.

Tee hee... I must sleep at Best Western Hotels and Motels quite a bit to be writing so much on Christmas day.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26520
12/25/06 04:16 PM
12/25/06 04:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I had initially intended on painting my frame with POR15, but decided against it once I realized what it would cost. I instead chose to treat it to the portable sandblaster and twisted wire cup brush to remove most rust. Then an application of "Metal Ready" and 2 coats of Rustoleum Hammered paint with a brush. I had a couple of rattle cans of the same for the hard to reach areas. I had some very bad scale in places but managed to get most down to bare metal.

Bob

3162276-frameclose.jpg (2779 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26521
12/25/06 04:18 PM
12/25/06 04:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another frame picture.

Bob

3162279-framefront2.jpg (540 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26522
12/26/06 01:53 AM
12/26/06 01:53 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Tee hee...Anyhow, I find it all quite laughable and I almost had to agree that Fireball may indeed be the son of Chucky...

I have no reason to hide behind a fictional login. You supposedly encourage a free exchange of ideas and improvements and I have just offered my personal observations of MY 'hands-on' experience.

Any paint and/or paint 'techniques' that I have commented on, I have personally tried/used. Just because I prefer one technique over another doesn't make me any different than you, and just like you, I try to post the facts as I experience them.

I ended up painting my car with a single stage Kirker paint with an HVLP gun and am very happy with the results. It is neither as costly or difficult as some posters would lead you to believe.

In closing, you'll notice I haven't attempted any personal attacks on any particular person or any particular painting technique so please if you really do 'encourage the free exchange of ideas/techniques' than take my postings as just that...Chuck

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26523
12/26/06 09:01 AM
12/26/06 09:01 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Marq, Bobd, Challenger, and 69dartgt.

Bobd, that hammered finish looks awesome.

I will be testing different metal treatments and posting the results when I can get my car into the garage.

It seems that the beauty of this system is that if the rust ever does come back, it would be no big deal to spot repair and re-paint.

Happy Holidays.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26524
12/26/06 09:23 AM
12/26/06 09:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Then an application of "Metal Ready" and 2 coats of Rustoleum Hammered paint with a brush. I had a couple of rattle cans of the same for the hard to reach areas.

Bob

Well, that is a big plus for the rustoleum in that if you can stick with stock colors, you can get rattle cans for the places a brush or roller just won't go.

This thread has forced me to rethink my whole strategy. With the expense of commercial re-spraying, a couple of hundred bucks on POR was a small price to pay to insure that respray wouldn't be ruined with rust bubbles in a few years.

With the ability to do that topcoat for less than what I would pay for the POR alone, there is no financial reason to get paranoid about the rust.

If the rust pops back, fix it immediately and re-seal the area with the roller...

This thread has been cheaper than a therapist - and with quicker results

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: chessman90] #26525
12/26/06 09:53 AM
12/26/06 09:53 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Lets see how well the noob has studied...

Quote:

I havent read all the post because its so long but i am wondering if rustoleum is still the top pick in paint for this method.

Rustoleum has to be thinned for rolling with mineral spirits and takes at least 6 coats. The finish is best topped off by buffing with a real buffer and progressive buffing compounds to receive the best finish. The advantage is the ability to paint right on bare metal.

Brightside, a yacht paint, is pre-thinned and has been rolled straight out of the can, but has been thinned further with a proprietary thinner from interlux or regular mineral spirits. Brightside goes on glossier and has covered in less coats, but still can be polished up like the Rustoleum. The advantage is a shinier finish before polish, and the ability to cover with less coats.

Quote:

Also witch mineral stuff odorless or regular.

Regular.

Quote:

What is the best wetsanding technique. Charger said 600-600-1500 i think and ive read of others also.

I think that depends on: how thick you lay the paint down, how smooth the finish is, how long you want to sand and how often you want to re-paint where you sanded off what you just painted.

Seriously, as was mentioned above, if you are unfamiliar with the cutting power of the various grits, maybe starting with 1000 and evaluating is the best method. Go one step higher if you are removing too much, one step lower if you aren't removing enough. The point is to sand to remove imperfections in the ultrathin layer you just put on. So go lightly and use lots of water.

Quote:

How do you get in the door jambs, under decklid, drip rails, and around other odd places.

Foam brush, spraycan, hvlp gun have all been used.

Quote:

Thanks a lot.

You're welcome.

How'd I do guys?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26526
12/26/06 11:52 AM
12/26/06 11:52 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Nice work, Mike

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #26527
12/26/06 04:44 PM
12/26/06 04:44 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
No pictures but I wetsanded today started with 400 and switched to 800 right away, followed by a good wash dry and another coat of paint. The paint does seem to go on better then the first couple of coats. I plan on two/three more coats then I'll either wetsand 1500/200 followed by a buff/polish or

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69DartGT] #26528
12/26/06 06:04 PM
12/26/06 06:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Brightside or rustoleum?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26529
12/26/06 08:04 PM
12/26/06 08:04 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Mike Brightside Fire Red

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26530
12/27/06 12:15 AM
12/27/06 12:15 AM
WA, US
C
chessman90 Offline
chessman90  Offline
C

WA, US
Quote:

How do you get in the door jambs, under decklid, drip rails, and around other odd places.

Foam brush, spraycan, hvlp gun have all been used.

After spraycan has been used do they shine well because wetsanding seems like it would be hard to do in all the crevices. Also where can i find brightsides?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: chessman90] #26531
12/27/06 12:59 AM
12/27/06 12:59 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

can you spray clear coat urathane over the rustoleum paint

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: chessman90] #26532
12/27/06 01:26 AM
12/27/06 01:26 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

Also where can i find brightsides?

Ebay has a great price on either Fire Red or Flag Blue but any good marine supply store has it. Do you have a West Marine close by? They carry it.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69DartGT] #26533
12/27/06 04:38 AM
12/27/06 04:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Wow, this thread is still going! I have a question that hopefully anyone on here familiar with painting Nissans via this thread can help. I hear that there is a tremclad red that is [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] near exact to the red on my 1990 240sx.

The reason I'm wondering is because for the most part my entire car is great for paint except for the rear 1/4s and rear bumper cover. If I could just do those to make her presentable....then later down the road the full meal deal.

I think its Sunset red?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26534
12/27/06 11:04 AM
12/27/06 11:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I think its Sunset red?

I'd say get yourself a can and check for a color match.

I just wanted to say howdy all...I've been lurking since some time in June. I read the first thread back then and had followed it to the new thread and stopped when you got to around page 6. Just finished reading the current thread and I think I'm hooked.

I'm looking forward to trying this out in the spring! I've attached a pic of my 69 F-100, she will be my test for later painting my 68 Mustang. My daily driver is an 06 Wrangler, so I do have some Mopar running through my blood, it's just been thinned 2 parts Ford to 1 part Mopar.

More pics of her at: http://www.fordification.com

Last edited by thorn; 12/27/06 11:21 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26535
12/27/06 11:17 AM
12/27/06 11:17 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here's what I'd like her to look like!

Last edited by thorn; 12/27/06 11:18 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69DartGT] #26536
12/27/06 03:27 PM
12/27/06 03:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Greetings all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I've spent the better part of 4 months reading, and re-reading, posts in this thread and have come to the conclusion that THE top dog, number 1, question that a person NEEDS to ask, and answer themselves - honestly - it seems BEFORE even starting to think proceeding with this project today while thinking only about tomorrow seems to be...

"Do I really have the patience, along with the desire and drive to do what it actually takes to see this project through from start to finish?"

Once this answer has been reached, the next question before starting this project goes back to asking yet again...

"Do I really have the patience this kind of project demands?"

If a person can't be up front and honest with themselves from the start in answering these questions, it seems (from reading a number of the "undesired results" postings by a number of people) they wont get the end result they're seeking.

Maybe it's just my warped observations, but when reading back through posts where this system seems to be failing people, then placing the posts up against a time line laying the paint, number of coats, and cure times allowed before polishing... patience (IMHO) seems to be the biggest downfall each time.

Be that a lack of patience in proper surface prep, laying the paint on too thick or too soon before a prior coat, enough drying time before a wetsanding, or long enough cure time before starting the polishing steps.

I've read posts where a cure time has been put in a number of weeks, then being unhappy because the paint was too soft. Only to back-track postings and see that the time marks between the final coat applied, last wetsanding and the start of polish to wax were only a few days as apposed to a number of weeks needed for paint to cure by these same posting persons.

Yes, I have started this project process on a trunk and have been quite surprised (if not extremly impressed as well) by the results of this process. But, I would add that since I'm in no hurry, I have allowed in upwards of 3 days to pass between coats.

I've been using a cheap dollar store cup with a lid on it to mix the rustoleum in 1 cup at a time batches with 2/3 cup rustoleum to 1/3 cup 100% mineral spirits. I've layed down 4 coats over the course of a week and a half (at the very least) and will probably do the first wetsanding this weekend, there is some very minor orange peel, but the paint seems to lay on so thin that 95% of it all self levels out after a few hours.

Also about 2-4 minutes after laying a wet coat, I've been going back to "very gently" blow out any air bubbles that hadn't popped in the wet paint yet with a small can of compressed air only close enough to the wet paint to pop the bubbles without pushing the wet paint so those areas can level out with the rest of the area.

Now I've read time and again that paint used for professional spraying that it's not recommended that these paints be polished/waxed for at least a minimum of 6 weeks. Key words being "at least" in all of that. Given that rustoleum isn't exactly pre-designed as an automotive paint, I will be pushing this to be (for myself that is) to be 'at least' 12 weeks cure time, if not longer, before I attempt any polishing/waxing of any sort after what I deem to be the final coat (with at least 16-20 coats planned for).

3166041-Picture011.jpg (421 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26537
12/27/06 08:12 PM
12/27/06 08:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Preach it Brotha, Preach it!

Wiser words have not been spoken. You are saving money by spending time.

I read somewhere that the current rage of reality fix-it shows, where a home is renovated in 30 minutes, has led to an increase in builders and handymen being called to bail out homeowners that started a project and couldn't finish. Unrealistic expectations of the time and effort involved to finish were the #1 reason cited.

Pic looks good. Keep us posted on your progress.

Page 104 of 159 1 2 102 103 104 105 106 158 159