12/23/06 12:18 AM
12/23/06 12:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I look at this way. I want to get my car painted as soon as reasonably possible. It's not reasonable for me to wait to accumulate $3-$4 thousand dollars to get a pro paint job. I could get the $300-$800 Earl Schieb paint job. I could go to the site fireball refers to and buy some of that cheap $30 a gallon ureathane and a $12.99 spayer and a $100 compressor, and a $40 mask. But is my $200 spray job with all the prep and time going to be that much better than the ol Maaco job?
If I thought I could do a good job spraying paint, I'd probably give it a go. But I can't believe that spraying a car is that easy. And that cheap equipment has to be harder for a beginner to use.

I know that I can thin paint and handle a roller. I am pretty sure that I can wet sand and polish the finish to make it shine. I think that I've seen some paint jobs that far outshine the Maaco's of the world. And I think that I have a good chance to repeat that success. And in the process save a few hundred dollars.

I guarantee you that on some other site, some other Fireball is telling guys to save money and by cheap paint, a $12 sprayer and spray their cars outside and is getting blasted by those who think it's impossible or crazy to do that.

Roll on boys.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26499
12/23/06 12:41 AM
12/23/06 12:41 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Brentville - I totally agree with your thought process, and i think your on the right track.

Speaking from what i consider to be a good amount of expirence under my belt, i've sprayed over 10 cars, and helped buddies do many more. I can say i screwed up the first 2, the next one passed for a basic macco el-crapo paint job, and my work did'nt really get "professional" until the 4th or 5th paintjob. The learning curve of spraying paint is really hard, and ALOT of things can go wrong really quick, like over/under reducing the paint (been there done that, took me weeks of sanding/stripping paint), and even to the point of selecting the right temp range reducer for the paint your using. You really have to know what your doing to spray paint, and the typical "home" setup is almost destined to turn out bad, everything is working aginst you, dirt/dust, hair, and the lack of ventalation really hurt your outcome. Painting outside of a booth in your garage is dangerous, and hazzardous to your health. The whole concept of a booth is to remove your overspray, the paint that is atomized in the air and just floating around getting on everything you own, and then some, and that paint falls out onto your fresh paint. A booth constantly pulls filtered air down and away from the car, removing this fallout problem, which asside from dirt/dust was my biggest problem to overcome in my "home" garage booth. No matter how seasoned you are it's difficult to pull off a nice paintjob in your garage.

Wheeeew, ok, now lets look at the roller, no mess, no expensive equipment, clean process, no complicated mixing ingreedients, just thin and paint, wetsand and buff, wax and

For ME, it's a no brainer, then with all the $ i saved doing it myself for next to nothing, i buy the wife a present, take her out to dinner, and i got a nice shiny all one color car in the garage, and i'm one lucky guy for like a month!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26500
12/23/06 01:24 AM
12/23/06 01:24 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
I look back and I'm sprayed everything from airplanes, cars and trucks over the last 47 years and have no doubt I could shoot this old truck but its about all the work with overspray etc you need to be concerned with.
Me I'm going to follow Crusaders lead and roll a easy paint job.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26501
12/23/06 09:12 AM
12/23/06 09:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I saw another identical test on another board using most of the paints you mentioned, and the 2 paints that came out the best, over time, both submerged underwater in a old swiming pool, and exposed to the elements were POR-15, and rustoleum.

Glad you brought that up. I'd really like to seal my heap from the tin worm, and I like the way POR-15 performs, but have been told for years that regular shops won't paint over it for adhesion problems.

My plan was to coat a panel with Por-15 and then test various topcoats. This roller method makes this process an order of magnitude easier to accomplish in the home garage.

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone had experience topcoating por-15? Any tips for the newbie?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26502
12/23/06 11:28 AM
12/23/06 11:28 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Quote:

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone had experience topcoating por-15? Any tips for the newbie?

Mike try this link lots of good info but not POR 15. I plan to do my truck bed inside with this stuff after the rest is done.
http://www.rustbullet.com/Products/Automotive/Automotive.htm

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26503
12/23/06 01:26 PM
12/23/06 01:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe that was Chucky coming back as Fireball?

I have no regrets with my rollered Rustoleum paint job.

I always wanted to spray a car, but never got around to it. Mainly focused on their performance.

One other benefit is my car was never held hostage, apart in a body shop like they can do.

Also, with over 400 rear wheel hp, you do not just throw the keys to anyone. I am not saying all shops will beat your car, but I know of at least one where they took turns test driving some exotic cars.

My car never left my house, and even though total time down was around 2 months, it may have been done quicker than a body shop.

But that is me and I am a very do it myself kind of person.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

3157578-GN20.jpg (368 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69DartGT] #26504
12/23/06 02:14 PM
12/23/06 02:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Mike try this link lots of good info but not POR 15. I plan to do my truck bed inside with this stuff after the rest is done.
http://www.rustbullet.com/Products/Automotive/Automotive.htm

Thanks for the tip.
Of course, I would have to find out about this stuff only after buying a 4 qts of por-15...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26505
12/23/06 03:27 PM
12/23/06 03:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I used Rust Bullet on my roof and on other sensitive parts of my Challenger. It's very easy to work with. If the Rustoleum goes on as easy as the Rust Bullet, there is no doubt in my mind that this is the way to go when painting a car.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26506
12/23/06 03:32 PM
12/23/06 03:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I saw another identical test on another board using most of the paints you mentioned, and the 2 paints that came out the best, over time, both submerged underwater in a old swiming pool, and exposed to the elements were POR-15, and rustoleum.

Glad you brought that up. I'd really like to seal my heap from the tin worm, and I like the way POR-15 performs, but have been told for years that regular shops won't paint over it for adhesion problems.

My plan was to coat a panel with Por-15 and then test various topcoats. This roller method makes this process an order of magnitude easier to accomplish in the home garage.

I have been away from this forum for a while, but thought I would pop in and see what is up. The only ways I have heard to top coat POR15 was to use their primer first, or to top coat it with the finish paint while the POR15 was still tacky.

Bob

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: dalbers] #26507
12/23/06 03:55 PM
12/23/06 03:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I put my first coat of fire red brightside on today and it is looking much better than the rustoleum I tried earlier. I'll attach a couple pictures. It doesn't have full coverage yet, but I can tell that when it does, it will look awesome. I think it is a lot easier to apply then the rustoleum too.

Dalbers, good to still see another GM truck on the Mopar forum I am still slowly assembling mine. Due to space problems I have to paint a body part in the basement and then carry it outside and bolt it on.Body panels like on our trucks are especially difficult with the roller methoud because of the sharp creases in the body lines like to repel the thinned paint. The door in the pic ended up having 10 coats on it before I was satisfied, with wetsanding between every coat with 2000 grit.

Bob

3157820-cab.jpg (521 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26508
12/23/06 04:04 PM
12/23/06 04:04 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Bob, looks good how often did you wet sand? after how many coats or did you just wait until you were happy with the color?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69DartGT] #26509
12/23/06 06:08 PM
12/23/06 06:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I started the project following the original methoud of coating and sanding.I found that it doesent work with Regal Red, and every coat has to have the glossy surface sanded in case I sand thru to the next coat. Sanding thru left splotches that resembled the grain of plywood and would not buff out. So now it is sand after each coat with 1000 for 2 coats and then 2000 after the rest.

Bob

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26510
12/23/06 08:03 PM
12/23/06 08:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Anybody have a pic of the brightside sapphire blue on their car?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26511
12/23/06 11:08 PM
12/23/06 11:08 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Tee hee... I pop in here after a few days and a Fireball starts a pointless firestorm in an effort to be the Grinch that urinated on rollers.

I say that his effort here are totally POINTLESS because his negatism stands sadly ALONE among all the positive results and feedbacks and information exchanges that have happened in this thread.

Now the question begs as to why he is so down on rollers ? Is it a threat to his line of employment... or is he simply a message troll that likes to stir up people by declaring it night time, when everyone else is saying it is day time.

This is what makes Fireballs 'comments' so pointless in this thread. He wants to talk theory and the number of cars that have been able to achieve decent paint jobs using this method can simply sit back and laugh at his negatism.

And at this point most of the folks who have read the majority of this thread also can see how Fireballs negativity is completely laughable.

The time for skeptics is long past. Many of us have used this method and posted our results.

And personally I don't think trying to deflect this discussion to " oh.. I don't think it will hold up in Arizona... " qualifies as a valid argument UNTIL YOU HAVE DONE IT AND FAILED - or someone else has done it in an extreme heat and sun ( UV ) area and failed. Oddly... we have had NOT ONE REPORT OF PAINT FAILURE due to extreme heat or sun.

Anyhow, I find it all quite laughable and I almost had to agree that Fireball may indeed be the son of Chucky...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26512
12/23/06 11:10 PM
12/23/06 11:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exit1965; Can you remind me what color you used on your car? Is it Brightside's Grand Banks Beige? Anyone have any pics of a car done in that color? I think it's a good match for my original color and I like original color scheme (white over beige).

Thanks

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26513
12/23/06 11:58 PM
12/23/06 11:58 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

From everything I read about POR15, it is a superior painting system. BUT... and the big BUT is that applying a single stage polyurathane requires far less surface preparation and is more compatible to the average skills of most do-it-yourselfers.

In the same vain... folks were comparing the qualities of POR versus the two stage polyurathane and both were more expensive than the Rustoleum/Tremclad/Brightside paints.

And although most folks admitted that the POR was quite 'durable'... they also conceded that it was more prone to chipping. I guess this is because POR is probably the hardest of these four paints when full cured. Hence it isn't as forgiving when something hits it.

So even though people were giving roses to POR15 for its durability etc, they always tended to conclude that it was best left to professionals for applying.

Now... if you happen to already be familiar with POR than it might be the better route to go. But if you are just an average Joe... than you would be better to fall back one step and go for the single stage polyurathane.

Overall, I had looked at the positive and negative attributes of POR and went with the single stage polyurathane.

To get some more independent thoughts on the merits of POR, you might want to snoop around on some of the boater forums where you can almost always find some postings about it.

Hope this info helps.

Marq

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26514
12/24/06 12:06 AM
12/24/06 12:06 AM
Kansas
D
dalbers Offline
dalbers  Offline
D

Kansas
BobD, your truck is looking great. I sprained my mcl and tore some cartilage in my knee a couple days ago, so sadly I am on hold with my truck. I have also seen your truck on the 67-72 chevy truck board. Once we get ours done, we'll have to post the results there, they won't believe how good they look. Have a merry christmas everyone.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26515
12/24/06 02:54 AM
12/24/06 02:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Marq, how is the red holding up on your car? I'm fixing to start on mine here soon once I get out the final dent out of the quarter panel. I'm going with the brightside red with a black top, but I'm just curious on how the red is holding up to the weather.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26516
12/24/06 10:56 AM
12/24/06 10:56 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Marq, how is the red holding up on your car? I'm fixing to start on mine here soon once I get out the final dent out of the quarter panel. I'm going with the brightside red with a black top, but I'm just curious on how the red is holding up to the weather.

I put a couple of thousand kilometers on the car since it's paint job. I have left it outside and not 'garage queened' it. It has been hit with rain, hail, superhot days... egg cooking sun. It has suffered the standard indignities suffered by any car driving down the highway....

And to tell you the truth... the car looks better today then when I first finished it. And there have been no paint failures or loss of shine etc.

The one thing I have concluded is that when we are in close working contact with our paint jobs we acquire almost 'Superman' type vision. Any little imperfection jumps out at us like craters on the moon. We get to a point in our quest for perfection that we lose sight of how our car really looks compared to 99% of the other cars on the road.

This really struck home the other day. With winter arriving I put the little sportscar into the garage to sleep the winter away. It had been in there... out of my sight for about 3 weeks. I had to go in the garage the other day to store the boxes that our Christmas tree came in. I was struck by just how d4mn good looking the little sportscar was looking.

There is an old saying that probably best explains this phenomena... " Distance makes the heart grow fonder "... That doesn't mean that if you are far enough away it looks good - but that if you keep it out of your sight for a while, you can look upon it with completely different eyes and better appreciate exactly what you have.

Basically I was looking at the car, not with the critical eye of the microscoping perfectionist, but instead with the eye of someone who was seeing the car for the first time. I was looking at the 'big picture' instead of getting microscopic with each square inch of the paint job. And I gotta admit I was impressed with how the car looked...

I am looking forward EXCITEDLY for next spring to arrive... because I will be able to drive it out of the garage and ENJOY it from the moment the weather again gets drivable for a ragtop

The car looks like a gift from Santa, but we all know that I saved like SCROOGE

Last edited by Marq; 12/24/06 11:03 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #26517
12/25/06 01:53 AM
12/25/06 01:53 AM
WA, US
C
chessman90 Offline
chessman90  Offline
C

WA, US
Like many i have been following allong on this thread and am planning on doing this.

I havent read all the post because its so long but i am wondering if rustoleum is still the top pick in paint for this method. Also witch mineral stuff odorless or regular. What is the best wetsanding technique. Charger said 600-600-1500 i think and ive read of others also. Also what is the prefered buffing technique. What about number of coats i want to get a really nice paint job. How do you get in the door jambs, under decklid, drip rails, and around other odd places.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by chessman90; 12/25/06 01:58 AM.
Page 103 of 159 1 2 101 102 103 104 105 158 159