11/14/06 07:12 AM
11/14/06 07:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thanks for the info marq, i actually found some info on the website that said it could be painted over bare metal. i remember reading this post from the beginning but im trying to remember if you polished ur mclaren after u painted. i saw the pics of it but was it ever polished. im trying to achieve a oem bc.cc job , i know most oem jobs have a decent amount of orange peel btu i am not looking for a mirro rfinish but i want something fairly decent, would u say the brightside rolled w/o sanding/polishing compares? because it is hard to tell from your original pics.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Marq] #26279
11/14/06 08:21 PM
11/14/06 08:21 PM
Texas
T
texczech Offline
texczech  Offline
T

Texas
Hey marq: I have been following and tried the brightside flag blue on a test hood- 66 chevy pu. wjile rolling (diluted & full strength) there were bubbles-an uncomfortable amount- but they did pop nearly all of them I guess. But after the paint dried I noticed that it looked like there were dust particles in the dried paint. I then strained the paint, but it didn't really help a lot. I noticed that someone earlier said he had "goobers" in the paint. I'm wondering what would lessen these imperfections. Maybe the type of roller, or what? I don't think it is an issue of my shop cleanliness.I have a little orange peel, but I really like the shine. The dirt specks issue bothers me more than anything. I tried to call the brightside manufacturer, but I really hit a dead end trying to get technical help from these guys.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: texczech] #26280
11/14/06 08:41 PM
11/14/06 08:41 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Hey marq: I have been following and tried the brightside flag blue on a test hood- 66 chevy pu. wjile rolling (diluted & full strength) there were bubbles-an uncomfortable amount- but they did pop nearly all of them I guess. But after the paint dried I noticed that it looked like there were dust particles in the dried paint. I then strained the paint, but it didn't really help a lot. I noticed that someone earlier said he had "goobers" in the paint. I'm wondering what would lessen these imperfections. Maybe the type of roller, or what? I don't think it is an issue of my shop cleanliness.I have a little orange peel, but I really like the shine. The dirt specks issue bothers me more than anything. I tried to call the brightside manufacturer, but I really hit a dead end trying to get technical help from these guys.

how did you clean the surface before painting? i highly reccommend using a autobody "tack cloth"; it's like a sticky cheese cloth, about $1 at any auto parts store. if you just clean the car with a rag there will be alot of dirt on the surface.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: texczech] #26281
11/14/06 08:51 PM
11/14/06 08:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hey texczech, can u post a pic of how ur blue looks so i can see how the orange peel is using the brightside str8 outta the can?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26282
11/15/06 01:58 AM
11/15/06 01:58 AM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
I found something called Klean Strip "Paint Stripper WITH Mineral Spirits" at Home Depot. Does this mean PURE mineral spirits? It didn't mention anything on the can.

Last edited by kenzo42; 11/15/06 03:21 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: kenzo42] #26283
11/15/06 08:20 AM
11/15/06 08:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I found the real stuff at Kelley Moore paints here in San Jose.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26284
11/15/06 09:15 AM
11/15/06 09:15 AM
Texas
T
texczech Offline
texczech  Offline
T

Texas
It seems like I can't get a good picture that would describe the orange peel. I would very HIGHLY suggest that you kind of do what I did. Get some brightside-from ebay,get a roller & try it! I think you will learn a ton about how this stuff works.Try some straight & some thinned maybe with 10 percent or so.(I used mineral spirits). I think that the type of roller, technique,etc... will make a difference. I must say that ther is some orange peel, but it is very acceptable to me. I could only really tell how much it was when I sanded it down. Ihave only been practicing on an old hood. I don't think you would want to try out this rollering technique until you have practiced on something first. I have been practicing and have probably sanded the straight brightside out and tried other dilutions and techniques.I found out that my body work imperfections showed up much worse than the orange peel concern-low spots,sanding scratches etc. . If I do get a decent picture I will try to get it on, but I haven't got a good one that would do justice to an evaluation.PS don't forget to get some foam brushes,good bristle brushes and try the tricky spots. You will be surprised how good a cheap foam brush applies this stuff around the curves and places hard to get with the roller.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: texczech] #26285
11/15/06 02:09 PM
11/15/06 02:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Does anybody know if Engine Enamel paint is any good to paint the car? There is a store that have them a close out price with the colour that I really need. The brand is Plasti-kote, and it is a High-heat engine enamel paint.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: noisydart] #26286
11/15/06 02:18 PM
11/15/06 02:18 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Chargeryeehaw, I've got to commend you for this post. I was one of the original responders in it's infancy. It just keeps on tickin- you've helped many. And if moparts had an award for the
most influential and long lasting p ost,
obviously this would be it. And it was started by someone else- did anyone ever hear from him?

thanks i still haven't recieved my award,

i haven't seen a post of the original poster

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26287
11/16/06 04:10 AM
11/16/06 04:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hey i read something on the hondatech board that caught my eye, what do you guys think....

so you paint your car, etc and you get to the final wetsanding. so lets say you sand 1500-2000 or whatever. then instead of polishing, you do one final realllly thin coat of maybe 50% thinned paint or more, and let it level nicely, filling the micro sand marks, and leave a nice surface with very minimal orangepeel..anyone have any thoughts on that idea?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26288
11/16/06 09:11 AM
11/16/06 09:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Menappi

Seems like going to a higher ratio of mineral spirits is going to allow the paint level out better. But obivously coverage is not going to be as good. But, it's not a concern at that the point you are describing BTW, I tried a short cut method for the lower parts of my car (ie removal parts like a valance, chin spoiler etc.) Basically, I applied 4 to 6 coats color to get good coverage with 20% thinned paint. Lightly sanding between ever other coat 400 then 600. Then I sprayed a light coat of clear spar urethane. I got orange peel but it is minimal. But, this is ok since it's way low on the car. More peel than what I want for upper parts of the car. The point is I do't have to buff those parts and I sanded my color coat to 600 and got good gloss without the work. But this was just an experiment. I believe in the roller method. I love that I can make a repair to my car without sending back to a bodyshop. I wanted to experiment to see if there is a way to get good gloss without so many levels of sanding for some parts of the car. Way back I did a lacquer job to a car in 1986 and I'm pretty sure I never went above 400. But we were spraying so that could be why. We polished the car and it was a great looking job. Gloss was good but I had to keep it waxed. So if by applying higher ratios of thinned paint to get less peel. Might be a way to improve the roller method.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26289
11/16/06 09:46 AM
11/16/06 09:46 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

So if by applying higher ratios of thinned paint to get less peel. Might be a way to improve the roller method.

It definately is. I was doing this back when I used rustoleum. Got virtually no orange peel- but it took me 10+ coats for full coverage. With brightside, I still notice that more thinner = less orange peel.

So one option is to put on 3 medium-thick coats, sand out all the orange peel, then do a thin or medium thin coat to finalize. I hate sanding orange peel, so if i were going to do it all over again I'd probably do 5-6 medium thin coats and not have much sanding to do inbetween.

Regarding the honda guy's idea about applying a final coat - to me that doesnt make much sense because one of the points of wetsanding at that stage is to remove the dust and other particles that are in the paint. Rolling another coat would result in more dust and crap falling on the paint, so that would have to be wetsanded out too. Then there doesn't seem to be a point to sanding with 1500 or 2000 before applying that final thin coat- might as well use 800 and save yourself some time. I have painted over 800 grit sanding and not had any visible scratches.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Exit1965] #26290
11/16/06 01:03 PM
11/16/06 01:03 PM
Pittsburgh
J
Java Offline
Java  Offline
J

Pittsburgh
Hi all,

I have been following this thread for a while and am ready to get to work on my test piece. I have a question about humidity. I preped my test piece last weekend, but since then the humidity has been +80% so I haven't had a chance to roll any paint. Would it be bad to paint with such high humidity? If I just wait for longer drying time, would the results turn out the same? I am really anxious to to get started, but I want to make sure I get it right.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Java] #26291
11/16/06 07:24 PM
11/16/06 07:24 PM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
I just painted my car today and here in Maryland its been raining on and off. I don't notice any difference. But if you're not comfortable doing that, you should probably wait for dryer weather.

Gerbs

3068574-PB160003.JPG (326 downloads)
Last edited by v8mirage; 11/17/06 03:35 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Java] #26292
11/16/06 07:51 PM
11/16/06 07:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

so i have 12 coats of paint and some orange peel... and when i wet sand the paint i go through a coat. then i get dark spots. if i put another coat of paint then use the clear and then wet sand will i see the orange peel through the clear when i wet sand the clear. i use 2000 grit sand paper. other than that this paint is great!!!!!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Exit1965] #26293
11/17/06 12:06 AM
11/17/06 12:06 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

do you think rubbing or polishign compound could get rid fo the little dust flakes that accumulate as part of the final finish?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26294
11/17/06 12:18 AM
11/17/06 12:18 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

do you think rubbing or polishign compound could get rid fo the little dust flakes that accumulate as part of the final finish?

I haven't done much buffing or polishing, but probably. The 2000 grit paper would seem to get rid of those pretty quick too. My plan was to use 2000 grit on the dust specs that stand out, then polish that tiny area, rather than sanding the whole car and then polishing it.

If you look at it real close (which we all tend to do) you'd probably see where the spec was, e.g. a tiny pit. I'm trying not to look at my paint so close anymore

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26295
11/17/06 04:40 AM
11/17/06 04:40 AM
venice, ca
A
admactanium Offline
admactanium  Offline
A

venice, ca
Quote:

it might get rid of the actual particulate, but the small hill of paint won't go away. using polishing compound by itself won't flatted out orange peel. otherwise nobody would bother sanding. it only polishes the peel itself. it all comes down to what level you're looking to achieve. completely flat paint with straight reflections and no peel? you're going to have to sand. some orange peel and small dust/dirt nubs? just polish. seems like a proper top-coat rolled onto a flat surface probably gives a finish similar to a factor paintjob.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: admactanium] #26296
11/17/06 12:46 PM
11/17/06 12:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

We need some picture updates from Aussie and Exit !!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26297
11/17/06 04:17 PM
11/17/06 04:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Could you guys post pics of FIRST coats using rustoleum. I want to know how thin it looks.. thanks.

Page 92 of 159 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 158 159