B
BcudaChris Offline OP
mopar
BcudaChris  Offline OP
mopar
B

Colorado front range
Dudes,

Can anyone tell me if the ECS condenser log (the thing that bolts ahead of and slightly above the gas tank with 4 lines running to the tank) should be fairly free flowing? or should it have some restriction?

Mine is mostly clogged. I soaked it in carb cleaner and tried to blow it out and the housing expanded a bit. Very little air flow from the inputs to the output. Fluid will tickle through it.

I have it soaking in carb dip trying to dissolve the varnish. If that doesn't work, the radiator shop for a good boil is next.

Hard hot start, vapor lock shutdown, hard restart are my symptoms. tracked to the ECS.

I blew out the line to the charcoal canister and tested functionality of the purge valve (working, I'm using a canister from a 72 car). I also made sure the tank vent lines were all free-flowing.

I got clued in to the ECS when my filler cap was venting. I mostly bemoan our ethanol spiked gas, especially winter blend on warm days but I think it helped point me to the problem here.

Thanks

Re: 73 Barracuda - ECS [Re: BcudaChris] #2622263
02/16/19 07:20 PM
02/16/19 07:20 PM
Scranton, PA
Montclaire Offline
master
Montclaire  Offline
master

Scranton, PA
Curious here as well.

Re: 73 Barracuda - ECS [Re: BcudaChris] #2622694
02/17/19 09:27 PM
02/17/19 09:27 PM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
I would think that it should be free flowing, clear . . . after all, it takes the vapors from the 4 corners of the tank and then "collects/condenses" them going into one line to the engine to be sucked and "used/purged" ....I have LA built 70 sport satellite with same . . .

Re: 73 Barracuda - ECS [Re: BcudaChris] #2622973
02/18/19 05:00 PM
02/18/19 05:00 PM
Colorado front range
B
BcudaChris Offline OP
mopar
BcudaChris  Offline OP
mopar
B

Colorado front range
An update here:

I found reference on the FBBO forum to them having a check valve. After my carb dip and cleanout treatment, I found that to be the case and it rattles freely. It now flows in both directions, but far less going back to the tank.

I say it is not completely free flowing, but enough to relieve vapor pressure. I suspect it should not flow at all back to the tank, but I may have damaged the valve setup when I put enough air pressure in it to expand the tank a little. I can't imagine a scenario putting back pressure in that line, so I don't think it will be a problem

Anyway, painted it black and put it back, installed new lines to the tank to the vent hardline to the engine compartment.

Temps here dropped dramatically and chased me inside before a test drive, then snow, so no test yet.

I'll report back after a test.

Re: 73 Barracuda - ECS [Re: BcudaChris] #2626989
02/28/19 03:16 AM
02/28/19 03:16 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I remember some of the Mopars having the pressure relief valve in one of the lines going to the charcoal canister or pass valve cover breather. That's system should also have a line going back to the tank to let any liquid that forms in the ECS tank to go back to the fuel tank. Then another line goes to the front of the car to the canister or pass valve cover depending on the year. You need the tank venting right and the carb bowl venting right so you don't have hard hot soak restarts or vapor lock problems. Good luck as I hope you got it all fixed. Ron

Re: 73 Barracuda - ECS [Re: BcudaChris] #2627033
02/28/19 11:51 AM
02/28/19 11:51 AM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
This question comes up fairly often. I call that tank a "vapor separator". There is a valve inside. It only allows the vapors to flow through it when the valve is in the middle of its travel. If you plug three of the four ports with your fingers, then suck/blow through the other one, you should be able to feel the valve opening and closing.

Re: 73 Barracuda - ECS [Re: BcudaChris] #2627110
02/28/19 02:48 PM
02/28/19 02:48 PM
Colorado front range
B
BcudaChris Offline OP
mopar
BcudaChris  Offline OP
mopar
B

Colorado front range
Thanks guys, I have been waiting for an an unseasonably warm day for a real test before posting an update, since there is interest though...

All is working as it should, but no warm(er) weather test. No hard starting when hot, no flooding from excess tank pressure.

I also went through my vapor canister, and found the purge valve diaphragm to be in perfect shape, but all the purge passages were clogged with charcoal dust. I thoroughly cleaned the canister out and replaced the charcoal with stuff for a fish tank. I used pellets instead of granular hoping to keep it out of the purge valve. Since then, I have noticed new fuel smells in the garage after shut down and in the car as things come up to temp. I'm thinking I may add some granular charcoal to try and fill the air spaces left by the pellets.

Of note on the smells, I did not notice them when I had tanked up with pure 91, only with oxygenated Old Milwaukee gas. Unfortunately, the pure 91 is still $3.70 a gallon, while the Old Mildoggie is in the $2.30's.

Warm days expected today and tomorrow, and I'm driving it to work tomorrow. I'll report back with the results.