10/26/06 11:25 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Unfortunately I won’t be starting this till the next year when I finish my garage, but I may start gathering the supplies now. How many coats would you think I would need to do?

If you are going red on red... I would think that three coats or four might be all it takes....

Quote:

What are your thoughts on this job, red over red? (my door jambs and crevices are still perfect)

It makes life easier when you are painting the same color as the original car. But it isn't that difficult to jump between colors. On my McLaren... it was initially done as red, the second owner painted it black.... and I returned it back to red. The change back from black to red just meant that I had to spray bomb the inner hood and inner trunk.. and the door jambs..

The only thing I might suggest is that you take a look at some of the polyurathane marine paints that were brought to our attention within the past 10 pages of this thread. It did offer an equivalent polyurathane marine paint... that had the benefit of a number more shades of red to choose from.

The Brightside polyurathane 'fire red' is a fairly light, bright and tilting almost to the orangie red color. Whereas that other polyurathane marine paint had the deeper shades of red.

But if you like the look of the brighter 'fire red' you will be able to use the Brightside on the outer body and Tremclad 'fire red' spray bombs to match up the door jambs, and inner trunk and hood.

I don't know if I would stock pile the goodies for this project this early. Pretty well everything that we had discussed in this thread will still be in production and readily available next year and probably for many years into the future.

The other benefit of delaying your purchases, is that for the paint, the Interlux company might expand the color selection of their polyurathanes...

As well you can use the time to keep an eye on your local 'Pennysaver' or other classified ads to catch a bargain on the Porter & Cable polisher. Just have the money waiting to snap one up quickly when someone is trying to unload one.

As for that Brightside paint that was on eBay, some folks have used it without any problem. However, you mentioned that you are in Canada, and that supplier is in the States. So there could be some cross border and shipping problmes if ou try to buy it and bring it into Canada.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26159
10/27/06 09:34 AM
10/27/06 09:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

can you scratch it with your fingernail?

Man, the jokes don't stop lol. Good thing you didn't change colour Exit.

Where has Aussie been? I want to see his black miata... I'm on the fence of whether I should go black or white. Black seems too hard to do, but I wanna see how Aussie car turns out!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Marq] #26160
10/27/06 10:31 AM
10/27/06 10:31 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Marq you are singing the praises of the Porter-Cable 7424 correct?

Oops typo

Last edited by 69DartGT; 10/28/06 10:50 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69DartGT] #26161
10/28/06 03:02 AM
10/28/06 03:02 AM
venice, ca
A
admactanium Offline
admactanium  Offline
A

venice, ca
Quote:

Marq you are singing the praises of the Porter-Cable 7924 correct?

69dart, the porter cable polisher is a mainstay for pretty much all detailers. there are literally thousands of them out there with hardly any complaints. i have one and it's a trooper. makes your hands numb after a while though.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: admactanium] #26162
10/28/06 10:51 AM
10/28/06 10:51 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Jeff had a typo should have been 7424 I just bought one off the bag thought it was a good price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Porter-Cable-7424-Ca...1QQcmdZViewItem

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: 69DartGT] #26163
10/28/06 02:38 PM
10/28/06 02:38 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Marq you are singing the praises of the Porter-Cable 7424 correct?

Oops typo

Absolutely. You can buy 'cheaper' but in life sometimes it pays to buy "the best'. And I believe the 7424 is one of the best bangs for the buck.

It is the kind of quality tool that you should have around for a long time and be able to pass down to the kids

The only downside to the 7424 are the Porter & Cable 'add ons'... the extra accessories that you can buy for it. P & C tend to charge a premium price for their add ons.

BUT the good thing is that because the P & C is the McDonald's of random orbital polishers, there are a lot of third party companies that are producing all those 'add ons' and making them available at bargain prices.

This is an advantage over some of the cheaper polishers which don't have the benefit of 'third party' companies building 'add ons' for their products. In those cases you have to buy that specific company's 'add ons'...

So yes... I joined the global chorus of people who are singing the praises of the 7424... and they were right.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26164
10/29/06 04:43 AM
10/29/06 04:43 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm still around. My final wetsand and detailing will happen next weekend, and I'll post some pics of the results. Only six more sleeps to go!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Marq] #26165
10/29/06 09:09 AM
10/29/06 09:09 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The only downside to the 7424 are the Porter & Cable 'add ons'... the extra accessories that you can buy for it. P & C tend to charge a premium price for their add ons.

BUT the good thing is that because the P & C is the McDonald's of random orbital polishers, there are a lot of third party companies that are producing all those 'add ons' and making them available at bargain prices.

This is an advantage over some of the cheaper polishers which don't have the benefit of 'third party' companies building 'add ons' for their products. In those cases you have to buy that specific company's 'add ons'...

What 'add ons' from what manufacturers are recommended?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26166
10/29/06 03:54 PM
10/29/06 03:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

What 'add ons' from what manufacturers are recommended?

For starters either Edge, Lake Country , or Wolfgang buffing pads are all excellent and recommended by professional detailers.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... [Re: Marq] #26167
10/29/06 04:47 PM
10/29/06 04:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Marq,

I am about to order the G100 (aka the Porter Cable 7424) it is just rebranded via Meguiar's, but they also throw in a life time warranty. I think I am going to order it from Auto Detailing Solutions. I was also looking into the pads an Meguiar's product.

I am having a hazing problem with my paint. I painted, wet sanding and then used just cheap turtle wax polishing compond. It looked OK, but seems to be getting worse (hazing/oxidizing). I also have a rotary (not a pro, just did not want to spend a lot of time). I have since tried using some Meguiar's #7 just to make it shine a bit more (waiting on wax for a while). This seems to work for a while. My next plan is to buy the 7424 and pads and product and work from a more aggresive to less agressive polish and then glaze. If you know Meguiar's product that would be #83, #80, #21 and maybe #7.

If anyone has any other ideas I am open. Here are a few shots showing the hazing.

And here is one close up to show the swirls:

Mike

Last edited by mstrange; 10/29/06 04:49 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26168
10/29/06 05:23 PM
10/29/06 05:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Using just one polish won't get you a decent/long lasting finish. That paint needs to be hit with a dedicated swirl remover, then polished, then sealed.

Personally I'm a big fan of the Poorboy's range of polishes. From the Poorboy's range I would start on your paint with a couple of passes of SSR2.5 with a light cutting pad, then another pass of the SSR2.5 with a polishing pad. Then I would use SSR1 with a polishing pad, then another pass with the SSR1 with a finishing pad. That should remove most if not all of your swirls. Then I would polish the car with two or three passes of polish (I like the Poorboy's Pro polish) and then seal the paint (again using two or three coats) with either a Carnauba Wax (for excellent depth of shine but it won't last very long) or with a synthetic sealant (for excellent protection but not as much depth as a wax).

That should fix all of your problems. It is a long and frustrating job, but if you polish properly you can make a decent paint job look extraordinary.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26169
10/29/06 06:39 PM
10/29/06 06:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Aussie Driver, I am going to get the G100 (aka the Porter Cable 7424) and get going. Do you use the PC 7424 to put this on.

Mike

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26170
10/29/06 07:17 PM
10/29/06 07:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't use a PC myself (we have 240V instead of 110V and PC don't make a 240V version of the 7424), but I use a random orbital sander/polisher that has similar specs.

I use my RO to apply everything, but I have discovered that it is really important to match the correct pad to the required polish. I will use a swirl remover with a light cutting pad or a polishing pad. A polish with a polishing pad or a finishing pad and I use a finessing pad for the sealant (wax or synthetic). I also use a microfiber towel for removing the residue.

Another really important step with any polish is to keep working it in until it breaks down properly. That is basically when there is only a slight film of residue on the paint. Then wipe it off and start the next pass.

Download the free Guide to Detailing from Autopia and have a read through that. It is one of the best guides around.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26171
10/29/06 07:25 PM
10/29/06 07:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Aussie Driver,

Thanks for the quick response. Any update on your pics. Also any info on the stages that you are taking on your paint, wet sanding paper, polish etc. Also, you repainted with the Brightside correct? Thanks!

Mike

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26172
10/29/06 08:02 PM
10/29/06 08:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just one question for you guys with the plastic bumpers and such. How is the paint adhesion after a time driving it? My friend is having a hard time getting the Rustoleum to stay on the plastic. Seems to adhere to metal fine though. Input on the plastic guys.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26173
10/29/06 09:50 PM
10/29/06 09:50 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just lightly sanded the plastic bumpers and the paint seems to stick just fine? I did not do anything different than the rest of the car.

Mike

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26174
10/30/06 01:02 PM
10/30/06 01:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So, I understand that 69chargeryeehaa sprayed some Tremclad at some point. I saw this site, I think from this thread, about the Harbor Freight spray gun, and he said he had some good results:
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html
This spray gun is only $39.
It seems to me that it would save a ton of time and elbow grease if the Rustoleum or Brightside could be sprayed. Is this true?
Can you spray Brightside?
I think it would probably save me quite a bit of money if I didn't go with the automotive grade paints. But i haven't really looked into pricing yet.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26175
10/30/06 01:13 PM
10/30/06 01:13 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

So, I understand that 69chargeryeehaa sprayed some Tremclad at some point. I saw this site, I think from this thread, about the Harbor Freight spray gun, and he said he had some good results:
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/HVLPspraygun.html
This spray gun is only $39.
It seems to me that it would save a ton of time and elbow grease if the Rustoleum or Brightside could be sprayed. Is this true?
Can you spray Brightside?
I think it would probably save me quite a bit of money if I didn't go with the automotive grade paints. But i haven't really looked into pricing yet.

trust me on this one, roll it, if your going to go thru all the trouble of spraying, then use auto paint, like a single stage enamel, but that goes backwards to the whole roll-painting method, cheap, easy, no mess, ect....plus anytime you spray a car with no booth your just asking for dust/dirt/bugs/hair, ect....in your paint, it's a big problem for the "do-it-yourselfer"!!!
you can spray small sections, hard to reach places like grills, door jambs, ect...but i just use the spray bombs, or if you have a custom color use a compressor and a small touch up gun, spraying a whole car in your garage will be a real pain, mess, and probabally not turn out as nice as a roller job, simply due to the fact that with no booth, dirt/hair ect....will be a major battle, compared to rollering the paint on, where your not disturbing the air, you can stop on each pannel and use a tack cloth just before you paint, you virtually get no dirt in your paint.

plus that cheapo gun will suck, you get what you pay for !!!!

yes i have sprayed the tremclad, but after discovering the roller method, that's history!!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26176
10/31/06 04:38 AM
10/31/06 04:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Go to this web page and do a search for the term "43430" or "purple gun" ...this is a great gun! I've used it to paint my cars several times and it works great. You can get dust and hair in your car when rollering just as much as spraying and you are right, this gun saves a bunch of trouble. Use the single stage auto paint like you find on this web page ...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44......... #26177
10/31/06 09:12 AM
10/31/06 09:12 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Go to this web page and do a search for the term "43430" or "purple gun" ...this is a great gun! I've used it to paint my cars several times and it works great. You can get dust and hair in your car when rollering just as much as spraying and you are right, this gun saves a bunch of trouble. Use the single stage auto paint like you find on this web page ...

To spray it requires a lot more prep with masking and dust control, and be prepared to sniff in more than your fair share of paint. I would only use the spray for areas that can't be rolled, otherwise rolling is a more relaxing and healthy process than spraying.

Page 86 of 159 1 2 84 85 86 87 88 158 159