Central Oregon
R
Rodney Offline OP
mopar
Rodney  Offline OP
mopar
R

Central Oregon
I'll be posting the progress on the assembling of my 63 Dodge. In this thread you may have seen the engine Dyno results.

This is the car in the background the 572 is going to be powering.
There's plenty to do to get the 63 ready for some licensing passes.
I'll be installing a painless 8 circuit wiring harness this weekend. Oh what fun!
I'll also be installing the new fiberglass deck lid & zues fasteners and give the part a coat of paint.
I installed a mid engine plate and did some welding in the engine compartment so I'll also be painting under the hood.

The oil pan was removed and the contents was inspected and a set of ARP studs and nuts were installed to fasten the pan on. All looked nice and clean.
I was dreading priming the Milidon external oils system since the oil and filter had been draining for day but to my surprise after adding 10 qts of oil and 1/2 qt in the filter she picked right up and the gauge hit 60 lbs in a heart beat!
Thanks for taking a look.
More to come.

Re: 63 Dodge assembly progress [Re: Rodney] #259745
03/21/09 10:07 AM
03/21/09 10:07 AM
Central Oregon
R
Rodney Offline OP
mopar
Rodney  Offline OP
mopar
R

Central Oregon
If things go as planned I'll be doing a few more sweeps with the 572 today.
I received the throttle control box from Stuska after some repairs and its all hooked up and working great as far as I can tell with out starting the engine. Thanks Steve for getting this repaired and back to us in less than a week!
The box needed a new power supply and a relay and I also had them send me 6 feet of throttle cable to be able to build custom cables for different applications when setting up different carburetor combination's. Keeping the throttle cable restriction to a minimum will keep the throttle box from being over worked and cause more problems in the future.
The 572 getting ready for more testing
I now have both fuel flow meters and will have them installed along with the mass air flow meter to record more data. Its been a slow process getting all of the sensors installed since I think I'm the first one to use them on this dyno.
I will not have the EGT sensors this time as the headers I'll be using don't have the fittings welded on the tubes. We have a good idea the EGT from the previous sweeps and I will have someone {hopefully} with a hand held Infrared Thermometer checking temp at the tubes.
Today will be interesting to see if any gain is made in HP with the larger headers and better fitting ports to the heads. Time will tell the story.

Re: 63 Dodge assembly progress [Re: Rodney] #259746
03/21/09 07:33 PM
03/21/09 07:33 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Car and eng look great. Sounds like it will really haul the mail. Ron

Re: 63 Dodge assembly progress [Re: 383man] #259747
03/22/09 08:05 AM
03/22/09 08:05 AM
Central Oregon
R
Rodney Offline OP
mopar
Rodney  Offline OP
mopar
R

Central Oregon
Thanks Ron,
I had a good day with the testing and learned that the 572 did not like the mass air flow installed.
The engine surged and the results were poor. Removed the air flow meter and back to 900 + hp.
Only changes to the engine set up was the Doug headers and bumped the jetting from 94 to 96's squared. Once the engine settled in the numbers were very consistent 900, 903 and 906 peak hp.
I changed the inertia factor from .35 to .34 after a few back to back tests with fast and slow acceleration rates to determine the correct value.
I am using a new barrel of 120 VP fuel but it is a year + old but unopened until I started the testing a few weeks ago. It has be wondering if the fuel may not be 100%?

Got the fiberglass deck lid attached with zuse fasteners, needed to shim them up about an 1/8 of an inch and found that some scrap Lexan cut in to small strips was just the ticket for the job.
Today if I get to the shop the seat needs mounted, engine off the dyno cart and wiring.
Still no converter or the drive train would be ready to install.

Re: 63 Dodge assembly progress [Re: 383man] #259748
03/22/09 08:52 AM
03/22/09 08:52 AM
Central Oregon
R
Rodney Offline OP
mopar
Rodney  Offline OP
mopar
R

Central Oregon
An image of the 572 with the Doug headers that will be ran in the car.
When we ran the tests yesterday the neighbors were out playing with there horses next door, I sent a helper over to ask them if it would be ok if we ran the engine, their reply was sure the horses will just have to get accustom to the noise.
The exhaust system is working Yea!
I'm still only getting 5 lbs of vacuum from the gauge on the valve cover @ 3500 rpm and drops with more speed, so I removed the hose from the pump and installed the gauge direct to find I have plenty of vacuum at the pump 15+.
I guess the next test will be a leak down test on the cylinders, other than that I'm not sure what else to do?

We also took the time to set the GTX on the scales to find the car without drive is 3308 lbs {the drive was out of town}
The reading were a few lbs light on the right rear and a few lbs heavy on the left front.
After looking at the picture of the GTX I see I need to black out the front wheel wells

Re: 63 Dodge assembly progress [Re: Rodney] #259749
03/24/09 10:46 PM
03/24/09 10:46 PM
Central Oregon
R
Rodney Offline OP
mopar
Rodney  Offline OP
mopar
R

Central Oregon
Things are looking good, have the engine setting in the 63 now but are still needing the converter I talked with the transmission builder who has it being built by Continental and may see it the first of next week.
Looks like the valley cover is leaking oil has anyone had success sealing from the top once the intake is removed? I'm guessing the heads will have to be removed t do it right!
the fiberglass deck lid fits nice and all of the fasteners are install and I painted it this morning. I could have and should have blocked primed and re-blocked the surface of the lid but I don't have the time and energy right now and being White it will look ok Smoooth just not Straight
We will be hauling the car to the Woodburn track this weekend for chassis certification.
Hope to see some of you at the track who've pm'd me
Thanks for your interest.

Re: 63 Dodge assembly progress [Re: Rodney] #259750
03/30/09 09:29 AM
03/30/09 09:29 AM
Central Oregon
R
Rodney Offline OP
mopar
Rodney  Offline OP
mopar
R

Central Oregon
But Officer we were Just certified to go 8.50 in the 1/4 mile!

Hold on to your Hat Officer.

All in all things went good in Woodburn
Rain, rain and more rain!
We were number 8 to get inspected Saturday morning, boy was it wet and cold. We were to bring two barrels of VHT back to madras so had to spend the night and pick up the barrels Sunday morning. They were prepping the track to race on Sunday for their first points race so we had to wait some more until they had time to get us loaded up. We took the long way home through Biggs junction since the Mountain passes were covered with snow.
The Officer was simply stopping to tell is where the new race track was out side of Grass Valley, Wheew!! We didn't tell him this was a drag race car not a circle track car and this one doesn't run yet..
Thanks to Cab helping us with the wiring we are almost finished with the car. As soon as we receive the converter all the big stuff will be done.

Re: 63 Dodge assembly progress [Re: Rodney] #259751
04/13/09 10:37 AM
04/13/09 10:37 AM
Central Oregon
R
Rodney Offline OP
mopar
Rodney  Offline OP
mopar
R

Central Oregon
We got the 63 running this weekend
The dynomax quited the exhaust down a little... Very little!

The new rear wheels and tires are installed and most every thing is completed with the exception of a few wires to be terminated.
We will be at the track this coming weekend for sure.
Thanks for all of the help Cab, couldn't have gotten it finished in time with out you!

Last edited by Rodney; 04/13/09 10:38 AM.
Re: 63 Dodge assembly progress [Re: Rodney] #259752
04/19/09 09:17 AM
04/19/09 09:17 AM
Central Oregon
R
Rodney Offline OP
mopar
Rodney  Offline OP
mopar
R

Central Oregon
last two licensing passes the car ran:
6.422 / 107.14
and a 6.417 / 106.89
1/8 mile track
lights 530, 510, 504 then went red
all good fun
today I get to race
The owner was real pleased, me too
the car never ran that fast when he was driving it

Last edited by Rodney; 04/19/09 09:18 AM.
Re: 63 Dodge assembly progress [Re: Rodney] #259753
04/22/09 08:33 PM
04/22/09 08:33 PM
Central Oregon
R
Rodney Offline OP
mopar
Rodney  Offline OP
mopar
R

Central Oregon
Sunday was a good day until the oil pan kissed the asphalt while pulling into the pits My first round in competition {10 time in the car} I drew the 2 time track champion to race and lost by .010 would have had him with a little better light
We have an Alterktion front suspension on the way along with a Charlies oil pan being made for the new setup.
Can't wait to get the parts installed! Should have it done this weekend if all goes well.

Last edited by Rodney; 04/22/09 08:35 PM.