09/13/06 07:22 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Did you sand the Brightside after each coat, or every two coats, like Charger did with the Rustoleum? The reason I ask, is, if I will be putting down at least 4 coats of Brightside and I need to wetsand after each coat and I need to thin it, what is the advantage over using Rustoleum

You only need to wetsand after every second coat of Brightside. The exception to this rule is if the coat did not come out as smooth as you might have liked. Rather than slapping a second coat onto a bad coat ( and just thickening the problem area ) you might choose to do a fast wet sand on a bad coat just to keep as smooth a surface as you can.

Quote:

... since Brightside costs a lot more and Rustoleum is available in more choices and at stores in my area? Don't mean to be a wiseguy, I just want to find out ahead of time what method/product is going to save me the most time

The first advantage to Brightside is coverage. You 'should' be able to nail your paint job down in FOUR COATS... hence only two wet sanding sessions. But you may want to lay down six coats to further increase the depth of the color. In that case you might have made it to three wet sandings.

With Rustoleum/Tremclad heavily cut with mineral spirits it will take you four to six coats just to get uniform color and then two or four MORE coats to get the even coverage for the color you are using. ... hence you will have wet sanded approximately four or five times.

So there is a time saving component to using Brightside because you have been able to reduce the number of coats being applied and the number of times you have needed to wet sand. Time is money And this in turn also reduces the start to finish length of time for your project by 50% as well. You can get the car or Jeep out on the road that much sooner. Less downtime for the vehicle..

The other reason I don't mind paying a few bucks more to slap Brightside on my car is that :

a ) it was designed and formulated to be applied to the top side of boats. It was designed to do a boat in two coats... WITH A ROLLER... and be self levelling, hopefully leaving a shiny and glossy surface ( which we know is a must for boaters ).

b ) boat owners would never accept a paint product that didn't stand up to the elements, be resistant to chemicals ( like gas, oil etc ), have a proven track record at the marinas for durability and be able to maintain its gloss and shine so that the boater doesn't have to repeat his painting every season. That kind of pedigree makes me feel comfortable with the product and gives me a bit of confidence about the long term viabiity of this paint on a car.

c ) the Brightside paint job will leave you with a 'polyurathane paint job'. The Rustoleum/Tremclad paint job will leave you with an 'enamel' paint job. So... on a menu of choices for paint jobs at a professional paint shop, the polyurathane would be the 'premium' paint job and the 'enamel' would be the 'standard issue' paint job. In a head to head battle - a polyurathane paint job will outperform an enamel paint job - that is the reason it was created - to improve upon the characteristics of an enamel paint job.

d) and most importantly of all... since you are applying only half as many coats of paint with the Brightside, you have just reduced the number of potential coats of paint that might screw something up. I find it easier to do four perfect coats of paint then eight or ten. With each new coat there is always the potential for runs, orange peel, roller lines in the paint and more opportunities of fresh paint being available for bugs, dust bunnys, dog hairs and other assorted crap in the air to land on that fresh wet paint. With Bright side the bugs have four chances to screw things up... with the Tremclad/Rustoleum there is a potential eight or ten opportunities for things to land on the fresh wet paint.

So the bottom line in my mind is that the Brightside paint may cost a little more upfront - but there are time saving advantages during the application stages.. and there are potential long term durability advantages simply due to the chemical nature of the paint that you are applying.

When this thread got started... Charger was providing the answer to the question of how to do a budget paint job. His answer and recipe provided the lowest cost and most effective answer I have ever seen.

By moving things up a notch to the Brightside paint I was merely trying to find a way to hopefully improve on the results, keep the cost still way down from the use of automotive paint and yet still follow his basic methodology for application using the roller.

Those are basically the thoughts that formed the basis for me taking a crack at this with Brightside. So far I have not been disappointed at all with how things turned out. The cost was way cheaper than a MAACO and the results were far superior to their 'enamel' standard issue paint job that they use on their 'bargain value' paint job. In fact MAACO would charge you 'three times' more if they used their polyurathane paint ( which they call their 'premium paint job' on your car or Jeep.

So maybe that is the best way to look at the difference between Charger's Tremclad/Rustoleum 'enamel' paint job and my Brightside 'polyurathane' paint job. Charger found a better and cheaper way to get something better for less than the MAACo 'value enamel' paint job... and my way is better and cheaper for getting something better for less than the MAACO 'premium polyurathane' paint job.

Last edited by Marq; 09/13/06 07:58 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25739
09/13/06 08:48 PM
09/13/06 08:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Joined up for this thread. Thanks 69charger.

I'm seriouisly considering this for my TransAM. How do decals work out with the tremclad paint are there any adhesion or spontaeous combustion problems?

Thanks again.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25740
09/13/06 09:42 PM
09/13/06 09:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, after reading more of this thread and getting your guys' feedback, I'm going to go with the brightside fire red. It looks like it would be a close match to my current color, and sounds like it should be a little easier to apply and even out. I'll post some pics after I try it on my sunroof panel =).

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25741
09/13/06 09:44 PM
09/13/06 09:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Marq--those were the answers I hoped to hear. I just ordered my "eBay Brightside," so I guess I am taking the plunge! Looking forward to getting started; in the meantime, I will be busy re-prepping and getting everything ready. When I get the paint, I think I may try "practicing" on the underside of the hood before I really get going.

Thanks again for your advice and encouragement...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25742
09/13/06 10:04 PM
09/13/06 10:04 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Joined up for this thread. Thanks 69charger.

I'm seriouisly considering this for my TransAM. How do decals work out with the tremclad paint are there any adhesion or spontaeous combustion problems?

Thanks again.

Hehehehhe... I will tell you one dumb mistake I made. I went to add the pin stripe to my car AFTER I had waxed the puppy. The [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] thing wouldn't stick at all. I should have known better.

So I rubbed down the area where I planned to put the pin stripe with iso alcohol to remove the wax in that specific area. The pin stripe then adhered absolutely properly. I then rewaxed over the pin striped area and brought back the shine.

I can safely say that IF I had put my pinstripe on BEFORE waxing the car there would have been no problem whatsoever. I am very sure the same applies to the Tremclad/Rustoleum paint job.

HOWEVER... the only advice I would give you on adding decals over a fresh paint job is to wait at least two weeks or so. This will allow WHATEVER traces of the mineral spirit or paint carrier that is still evaporating through the surface of the paint.

I can imagine that these evaporating gases might have 'some' effect on the adhesive that is used to attach the decal. As well... the decal would be putting an almost airtight seal over the fresh paint and that might slow down the overall curing of the paint trapped below the decal.

This would be especially true if you have a 79-81 Trans-Am and were slapping the large screaming eagle on the hood of your car. That thing covers a lot of hood surface...

Last edited by Marq; 09/13/06 10:07 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25743
09/14/06 07:53 PM
09/14/06 07:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the help. It's an '87 but, getting the old school bird anyways.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25744
09/14/06 11:49 PM
09/14/06 11:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

ya so i took the plunge..i was gunna get sprayed in the booth at school but to much stuff in the shop is gettin ripped of so no way in hell im keeping my car there without my eyes on it for longer than 5 mins...so im just making the surface look decent adn then im rollin so far the trunk and hood have about 3 REALLY heavy coats..i might just sand it all down till im at 2000 grit and call it a day haha theres alot of paint on..

but it rained when the paint was tacking so im screwed there but i just sanded it tdown a bit and called it good also when u say u wan it like water how watery and does ur foam brush ever cause bubbles in the tray? i might mine eventually pop when their on the car but a couple stay and im worried about this when it comes time 2 do the final coat

thx

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25745
09/15/06 11:55 AM
09/15/06 11:55 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi everyone

I have a question:

when painting with foam rollers and thinning the paint with mineral spirits, should the paint be a little thicker for the vertical surface then the horizontal surfaces?
I remember reading the start of these posts and it was suggested that the paint be almost as thin as water. wouldn't this consistancy just run down the sides of the vertical surface?
will the paint settle flat like on a horizontal surface?

I just did my truck with the same paint and I had to scrap it all off as the paint didn't stick to the duplicolor primer/sealer. I forgot to thin the as well. up here where I live it gets damp at night and I end up with moisture which is not good as you know for painting.(I don't have a dry garage to paint)
sucks spending countless hours to prep for paint and then this happens it will be to cold soon...

thanks all

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25746
09/15/06 01:35 PM
09/15/06 01:35 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
When I painted, I use the same mixture. If you put it on reaaaaly thin, it wont run and there wont be much of any orange peel.

I looked at it not that I was "painting" the surface, but that I was "wetting" it consistently with the paint mixture. That would keep me from trying to put too much paint on, then having to deal with runs or orange peel.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25747
09/15/06 02:53 PM
09/15/06 02:53 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Hi everyone

When painting with foam rollers and thinning the paint with mineral spirits, should the paint be a little thicker for the vertical surface then the horizontal surfaces?

Nope... same paint mixture on top surface and side panels. It needs to be applied in 'thin' wet layers...

Quote:

I remember reading the start of these posts and it was suggested that the paint be almost as thin as water. wouldn't this consistancy just run down the sides of the vertical surface?

Yes it would run if you were overloading the roller and trying to put on toooooo much per layer or pressing down on the roller way too much. But as noted in the previous message you are laying on really thin layers... one at a time... and basically just wetting the surface evenly with each coat. No matter what color you are adding.. each layer will almost be translucent.. It is only after you add about 5 or 6 layers ( Tremclad/Rustoleum) that it all starts adding up and giving you a uniform color on the vehicle.

Quote:

will the paint settle flat like on a horizontal surface?

Yes.. the Tremclad/Rustoleum and Brightside will all settle flat to the vertical and horizontal surface. The only risk on the vertical sides is that if you try to lay it on toooo thick ( or too much at one time ) it has the potential to run ( that is simply gravity taking over ). But if you are laying on just thin wetting layers the paint solution is more attracted to clinging to the surface it is on than being pulled downward by gravity.

Quote:

I just did my truck with the same paint and I had to scrap it all off as the paint didn't stick to the duplicolor primer/sealer.

I don't know why the Duplicolor primer/sealer would present any problem with any of the paint mixtures. When you wiped the body down with mineral spirit to clean all the dust and crap off the body prior to painting... did you give the primer/sealer sufficient time to evaporate whatever mineral spirit it might have absorbed ?

Quote:

Up here where I live it gets damp at night and I end up with moisture which is not good as you know for painting.(I don't have a dry garage to paint)

The mositure won't present too much problems at the end of the process. In theory, while you are applying the paint/mineral spirit mixture, it 'should' be displacing moisture on the car.... The main detriment of moisture is that it tends to lessen the gloss or shine of the surface top layer. But that is something you can remedy and put right when you do your final wet sand, compounding, polishing and waxing.

Quote:

..sucks spending countless hours to prep for paint and then this happens it will be to cold soon...

thanks all

In a way it could be a blessing too... Although we all would love to nail it right the first time... stuff can happen and Murphy's Law can intervene in the best of situations. So all we can do is chalk it up to our 'learning curve'. And hopefully when we take the next crack at it... the ninja paint rolling skills will have become almost second nature and more at ease when you attempt it. I found that when I had to take a step backward and sand an area down to correct a problem, it allowed me to keep improving the smoothness of the bodywork. The better and smoother the subsurface, the better the end product.

Last edited by 69DartGT; 09/15/06 07:26 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25748
09/15/06 06:34 PM
09/15/06 06:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

anyone familiar with the duplicolor paint thinner in the cans? I'm trying to open mine, the plastic cap has metal threading in it, the can itself has a metal neck that coems up and is threaded, adn what looks like an inlaid little disc of metal covering the opening. One would think it's an ideal design for poking with a nail but not sure that's what im to do.. Cannot grip it wtih needlenose pliars

Thanks

BK

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25749
09/15/06 08:03 PM
09/15/06 08:03 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
I'm reading this thread and it really catches attention.
I have a 71 D-100 pick up that is rough and just want it to look okay say a 50 ft paint job
But how do these paints spray using a conventional gun? Looking at the popular three, rustoleom, tremclad & brightside. Leaning toward brightside as I have a West Marine store close for primer, thinner etc.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25750
09/15/06 08:35 PM
09/15/06 08:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I thought I posted but it didn't show up....
I appoligies if this is a repeat post...

I called CIL paints (rustolium in the states) and told them my problem.(my marine aklyd enamil which is the same as rustolium professiona paint)
they said although they didn't know a lot about duplicolor and what it is made with, but the dupli primer, if it is not old based, maybe the problem.
has anyone else come across this?
I e-mailed duplicolor and they have yet to respond... hopefully I won't get the "it was the paint, not our primer story.

on my truck when you peel the paint back, you can see little moisture spots. they are also on the back of the peeled paint. If they are not moisture, then could they be the oil from the paint? I gave the surface a smell and there was no odour to it, so I am thinking it isn't the duplicolor wax and grease remover.
any wild guesses?

also, when you apply paint so thin, when you wet sand, are you not going to easily break through?
or are you just slightly "scuffing" the surface with the sanding paper?
what grit size, start with 1500?

randy

Last edited by slipchuck; 09/15/06 08:39 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69DartGT] #25751
09/15/06 10:07 PM
09/15/06 10:07 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I'm reading this thread and it really catches attention.
I have a 71 D-100 pick up that is rough and just want it to look okay say a 50 ft paint job
But how do these paints spray using a conventional gun? Looking at the popular three, rustoleom, tremclad & brightside. Leaning toward brightside as I have a West Marine store close for primer, thinner etc.

I believe that the three paints would look better if sprayed. I don't know if that is the gist of your question or if you were actually looking for information about how to spray these paints.

But if the question was whether these paints can be sprayed, the answer is yes. However, with the Brightside, since it is a polyurathane, it is a more lung unfriendly paint when sprayed. Then again I don't know if I would want to spray mineral spirits and Tremclad/Rustoleum without an oxygen pack

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25752
09/15/06 10:11 PM
09/15/06 10:11 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

also, when you apply paint so thin, when you wet sand, are you not going to easily break through?
or are you just slightly "scuffing" the surface with the sanding paper?
what grit size, start with 1500?

With both paint processes you are wet sanding every second layer. The wet sanding, using a 600 or 800 or even 1000 shouldn't be removing too much of the applied paint. It is only remove the surface imperfections ( bumps, bugs, dust specs, unpopped bubbles etc ). You are just leveling and smoothing the surface - so don't put too much elbow grease into your wet sanding. You are just lightly wetsanding

randy

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25753
09/15/06 10:14 PM
09/15/06 10:14 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
Thanks Marq, I was thinking the same thing about spraying as far as breathing protection goes.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25754
09/16/06 12:17 AM
09/16/06 12:17 AM
MD, USA
V
v8mirage Offline
v8mirage  Offline
V

MD, USA
BK,

I used the same thing to start with. In order to get that metal cap out I ended up grabbing one edge with a needlenose and making a dent in it that distorted the cap enough to get it out of the neck of the can.

BTW I have 6 coats on the front fenders of my car and all I can say is WOW!!!! It looks fantastic and it sure is easy!! 50 footer?? No way, more like 2 footer paint job!! Thanks 69charger!!!

Gerbs

Last edited by v8mirage; 09/16/06 12:18 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: v8mirage] #25755
09/16/06 05:52 PM
09/16/06 05:52 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

BK,

I used the same thing to start with. In order to get that metal cap out I ended up grabbing one edge with a needlenose and making a dent in it that distorted the cap enough to get it out of the neck of the can.

BTW I have 6 coats on the front fenders of my car and all I can say is WOW!!!! It looks fantastic and it sure is easy!! 50 footer?? No way, more like 2 footer paint job!! Thanks 69charger!!!

Gerbs

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: v8mirage] #25756
09/17/06 10:02 AM
09/17/06 10:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thanks for wise words, i ended up nailing two holes in the lid :P pours a little slow, but works.

did my first coat yesterday. washed with palmolive dish detergent, rinsed for like 5 minutes, then shammyd and dried fully with a microfiber towel. Then taped off everything (took longest, dang.. a good 30-45 mins)..

Mixing the paint was interesting, it felt really liquidy when stirring it but when pulling mixer out it still gooped and stuck around on mixer a little longer than I wanted. I ended up with a very thin mixture, almost 50% mineral spirits. It was running, but i got the technique down for it (since I started to like the paint at the runny consistancy)... just don't apply to verticle panels until youve either juiced the roller on a flat surface or just mashed it down in the roller pan to remove excess. On the panels where I didn't redip my roller, the paint layer is very very thin but smooth as glass. Infact, even on the roof where its almost 100% opaque (white over light green) from the first coat, its still smooth. I painted yesterday around 10am mosquitos ate me alive and many bugs landed in the paint. However, come 6:30pm that night, just 7 hours after finishing the last panel on the car with the first coat, it was as hard as a rock and I wet sanded it.

After wetsanding the 7 hour old paintjob, I washed it again with dish detergent and then dried it.

This morning I went out to get another coat on early but the dew rocked the car. Used a shammy and it stretched pretty tight, was worried a huge 1x2' piece of paint would flake off. Didn't budge.

Found a lump (pbb bug or dirt) on the paint, scraped it off with my fingernail. Left a tiny circle (size of a bb) beneath, revealing green original paint. I then took my nail and tried to scratch from the perimeter of this divit in the paint.. couldn't do ANY damage to the rustoleom.

I don't know if my prepwork was really good (20+ hours of sanding), or my mineral spirits (duplicolor smelly) rock, but my paint was rock hard just hours after applying and has already been wetsanded.

Looking forward to applying another wonderful coat. Sadly bugs will happen again, dunno what to do about that. They come out pretty easily once the paint dries but they see to leave a wing or some guts behind

Thanks to charger and anyone who's contributed any information to the thread. I'm only done with my first coat and have determined I won't pay for a paintjob again (unless I find myself with a new nice car).

Will keep everyone posted on progression, pics soon.

BK

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25757
09/17/06 02:27 PM
09/17/06 02:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

guys i dont mean to ask, but ,y black lincoln has turned out ok, but im thinkin of changing it to red (i like cars that stand out) any pics of what red looks like finished? thanks a ton fellas!

Regal Red. I am cheating though and using a HVLP gun on the cab.

Bob

2927547-red2.jpg (389 downloads)
Page 65 of 159 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 158 159