08/25/06 09:16 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Now one retards drying and the other hastens it. Which to use, and when?

The one to use is the 333 Brushing liquid. It gives you more time to 'work' with the paint you are applying. It also allows the paint more time to self level ( hence a smoother surface ) then if it cured toooo quickly.

I believe from past experiments that you use the pure smelly mineral spirits ( which are cheaper ) and it will perform equally to the kerosene / naptha mix used in product 333 Brushing liquid.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25619
08/25/06 09:34 AM
08/25/06 09:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It had been stated here that 333 contains Ketone. I assume you mean MEK. Is MEK a hastener or a retarder for drying? Also as stated in my earlier post, and viewing the MSDS I find no mention of Ketone in either of the two products discussed. Was that reported in error? Or is Naptha and MEK the same thing?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25620
08/25/06 12:40 PM
08/25/06 12:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have seen a lot of reference to MAACO on this thread and would like to comment on them. I had a paint job done on a 73 Challenger that was not bad for the price. Unfortunately they didn't paint the hedder panel, (the piece that wraps around the headlights and grill). I was told to bring it back in a couple of weeks. When I did the hedder panel actually got a glossyer, brighter blue than what was on the rest of the car. My brother-in-law had a paint job done by them and it had areas that had bubbles. It was blamed on the body work and they would not repaint. I bought a Gremlin that had a MAACO paint job that pealed at every body line after a year. I wetsanded the car and some areas pealed of like latex. After sanding I sprayed on a sealer (DAS1980), then painted the car. I should have striped the car because the crap under the sealer caused it to lift in several areas. The first time I washed the car with water it had a few wrinkles that settled down after sitting in the sun a while. If you use them you may want to do a little of your prep before you turn it over to them. Just because it is sprayed on doesn't mean it's better. GO ROLLERS!!

Thanks Marq for the reply on the effects of humidity on paint. My guess is that many people don't realize just how much it effects to outcome of the job.

As to the neighborhood assocations problem a few pages back, Call the person in charge of deed restrictions. Then ask if there is anything reguarding paint and body work on your personal vehicle that would be a problem. If you are allowed to change oil in your driveway. I doubt there is.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25621
08/25/06 01:13 PM
08/25/06 01:13 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I have seen a lot of reference to MAACO on this thread and would like to comment on them. I had a paint job done on a 73 Challenger that was not bad for the price. Unfortunately they didn't paint the hedder panel, (the piece that wraps around the headlights and grill). I was told to bring it back in a couple of weeks. When I did the hedder panel actually got a glossyer, brighter blue than what was on the rest of the car. My brother-in-law had a paint job done by them and it had areas that had bubbles. It was blamed on the body work and they would not repaint. I bought a Gremlin that had a MAACO paint job that pealed at every body line after a year. I wetsanded the car and some areas pealed of like latex. After sanding I sprayed on a sealer (DAS1980), then painted the car. I should have striped the car because the crap under the sealer caused it to lift in several areas. The first time I washed the car with water it had a few wrinkles that settled down after sitting in the sun a while. If you use them you may want to do a little of your prep before you turn it over to them. Just because it is sprayed on doesn't mean it's better. GO ROLLERS!!

Thanks Marq for the reply on the effects of humidity on paint. My guess is that many people don't realize just how much it effects to outcome of the job.

As to the neighborhood assocations problem a few pages back, Call the person in charge of deed restrictions. Then ask if there is anything reguarding paint and body work on your personal vehicle that would be a problem. If you are allowed to change oil in your driveway. I doubt there is.

macco's usually SUCK for paint, BUT i did build a 68 mustang show car, about 10yrs ago and had it painted at macco, but the guy working on my car was this old biker guy and really new his stuff, and did a awesome job for $1100 they stripped the roof (which was vynil) and put in new door hinges, lined up all the pannels, awesome job, the car was painted viper blue, but that was 10yrs ago, and i was reccommend to go only to that shop cause that painter used to work at a high-end shop and quit, went to macco. but on average 99.99999% of macco's are just concerned with getting them in and out the door as fast as possible, somewhere along the line they throw paint on the car!!!!

as for temperature/humidity, i've rollered tremclad in dead canadian winter (-25*deg C) to middle summer (+30*deg C), and the paint behaved the same in all temperature conditions but took longer to dry when really cold. humidity did'nt effect the paint at all, unless it was foggy (100% rel humidity) then there was a haze in the paint as you would get spraying single stage in high humidity, but if it's less than 85% rel humidity, there is absoultly no effect on the tremclad from my expirence at all.

i painted my bug in middle of winter, it was retarded cold outside, and here is the result (you can see my sled, and the snow ):

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25622
08/25/06 02:17 PM
08/25/06 02:17 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Well... it was a lovely day outside and so I am ahead of schedule for my picture taking...

So here are the final pics of the McLaren after wet sanding, compounding and waxing...

To look at the rest of the pictures you can find it here :

http://www.snpx.com/AugWaxedMcLaren

And for your amusement and amazement... I have included two small movies demonstrating just how slippery this paint job turned out after waxing...

How slippery is it ? I tried to put the pin stripes on the side of the car and they couldn't stick to the paint. Oh well....

Movie 1 : Meguiars High Tech wax bottle goes for a slide off the trunk

http://www.snpx.com/AugWaxedMcLaren/slideofftrunk.mpg

Movie 2 3m's Perfection Compounding product sliding off the hood

http://www.snpx.com/AugWaxedMcLaren/slideofhood.mpg

Last edited by Marq; 08/25/06 02:44 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25623
08/25/06 03:22 PM
08/25/06 03:22 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Attached was $1600 and the primer and paint alone was nearly $1000 of that. This picture was taken five months after final buff. No wax at this point. Rented a booth and paid someone to remove front and rear window. Three people six weekends sanding, scrubbing and rubbing.

dave
florida

2873087-slide20.JPG (1114 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ #25624
08/25/06 04:11 PM
08/25/06 04:11 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Attached was $1600 and the primer and paint alone was nearly $1000 of that. This picture was taken five months after final buff. No wax at this point. Rented a booth and paid someone to remove front and rear window. Three people six weekends sanding, scrubbing and rubbing.

dave
florida

attached is a $50 paint job, $30 alone was for paint!!!! did it in my garage, took out my own windows, took me 1 day to scrub, and sand and i rubbed it, not for any reason, just cause it felt good!!!!

sorry, i could'nt resist, very nice job, 3rd Gen charger?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25625
08/25/06 11:42 PM
08/25/06 11:42 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
Hey 69charger, I've been folowing this thread since day one and really like what I've seen. The only thing that concerns me about using rustoleum paint is problems with fading over time. I work on tugboats that see nothing but rustoleum paint. Over the course of a couple years the paint gets a faded or chalky look or more so loses its luster. I know, how can you compare a tugboat to a beautiful classic car but just looking at the characteristics of the paint makes me wonder? Do you think that the extra steps taken of wet sanding and WAXING with the turtle wax greatly lessen the chances of the paint losing its luster or fading that I have noticed in an industrial environment (or if it were over time to lose its luster just buff it with some wax to bring it back possibly) . Other than that the rustoleum paint at work holds up well to its surroundings its as someone mentioned before hard as nails. As for the adhesion to the body of a car I wouldn't have any doughts about using it only to be sure proper steps were taken to give it a good surface to lay onto as in no heavy rust, dirt, or oil on the body of the car and if over old paint having the body roughed up to give it something to bite onto. What are ones thoughts on this comment? anyone? Jay (Keep rolling on fellas your paint jobs are looking great)

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25626
08/26/06 10:08 AM
08/26/06 10:08 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yes, it's a '72 belonging to the kid. His grandfather (maternal) gave him the car on his 16th birthday. One owner. My dad gave me a F&#@&*& Timex.
This paint is 2 years old now and still looks like new. Better in fact, because it's been waxed a few times. It's nearly perfect. A product of an always garaged straight body to begin with and 2 1/2 gallons of sanded primer ($80 a gallon) over bare metal. The paint is PPG Dodge PR4. Dodge truck "Flame Red". PPG clear in copious amounts. Wet sand with 1500 except some small sections of orange peal, with 1200, then 1500. Then the whole car with 2000. 3M compound on an air buffer with coarse foam pad, then again with the same compound and a soft foam pad.
Jr. and I stripped the car but found a guy who would remove and replace front and back glass for $50. It's the glued in type and we were already biting off more than we could chew.
Vinyl top came off, rust under it welded, entire car to bare metal. Doors off, rebuild hinges windows removed. Interior removed (except dash), headliner out, sand blasted roof on inside and floorboards and sprayed with truck bed liner.
Outside was primed, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded...etc. Less than a cup of body filler on whole car.
I got tennis elbow sanding and drank about five cases of beer.

You guys are getting phenominal results with quality enamel and basic application methods. Like the ONEBADBIRD said, how long it will look good is a question. I think up there in Canada you will have better luck than here in Florida where it gets baked every day. Jr. doesn't have a garage and commutes every day (for now). He tries to put the cover on at the apartments, but you know how that goes.

What is your application technique? No primer? I read some of this thread and see brushes and rollers????? Wouldn't a Wagner sprayer work better?

dave
florida

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ #25627
08/26/06 08:57 PM
08/26/06 08:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Greetings from an enthusiast of small cheap foreign cars no longer sold in the USA (FIAT)!

Been watching the thread as reposted on various Fiat sites since about May or June and really started to get interested in July when an X-1/9 owner posted pictures of his spot door repair. Dang, the silly idea of rolling on Rustoleum suddenly took hold and I went ahead with a test section on one of my autocross cars, a 124 Spider!

I used Rustoleum "Stops Rust" in white for that first coat and sunrise red for the subsequent 9 coats. Thinned it 2:1 paint:spirits (mostly painting in 80+ F deg weather), and waited at least 12 hours between coats. I also experimented with regular mineral spirits and odorless mineral spirits, but couldn't tell any difference in hardness or curing time. Like exit1965, I can scratch it with my fingernail even after a couple weeks, though sometimes it doesn't and I can't tell why some spot won't scratch and most of it does.

First coat:

The first coat was white so I could see whether there was much difference between a brown base and a white base.

Fourth coat:

Fourth coat was having me worried as there's still a noticeable shade difference between the brown base and the white base.

Final coat:

Not to worry, though, as when you put 10 coats on there, any differences disappear. After my learning session, I'm comfortable saying you can get a color change in as little as 8 coats with red. Lots of texture because I did no-no #1 and reworked the surface outside the working window. Can't remember what compelled me, probably slumping paint or a roller line that I didn't want.

After wetsand, hand polish, and wax on that badly textured spot:

I let it cure for 2 weeks before I lost my patience staring at that goober. Broke out the 1500 grit and wetsanded it for about 5 minutes, which made the texture disappear. Hand polished it for 5 minutes (where have I put my orbital buffer?!?), then waxed it with some cheap crap (contains no wax), but didn't like the lack of gloss. Thought about it for a day or two, reexamined and realized it wasn't polished enough as indicated by fuzzy reflections, so hand polished for another 10 minutes and rewaxed with a better wax (the Meguir's high tech that Marq? posted earlier). Much better, but could use a real mechanical polish.

The top and bottom of the door are still virgin Rustoleum so you can tell how much gloss was lost (not much in my opinion, but I'd also like to see it after a real polish). I'm proceeding with the rest of the car, at my own pace, because I'm pleased with the results. Even if it lasts only a year, it's been a relaxed and pleasureable experience compared to spraying basecoat/clearcoat.

Anyhow, thanks to Charger and thanks to all you experimenters out there who showed me the way!

George

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ #25628
08/26/06 10:13 PM
08/26/06 10:13 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
I found the single GREATEST investment I made in this project was to buy a Cable & Porter 7424 polisher... With it in your arsenal that FIAT could have been maxed out for shine without wearing out the old arms and hands.. I cringed at the thought of attempting all the work I did on my car by hand. I probably would not have gotten anywhere near the optimal results because my arms would have quit long before the work was done.

It made compounding, polishing, waxing and buffing FUN FUN FUN... It almost didn't seem like work.

I didn't mind the wetsanding by hand... because normally that was about a 30 minute exercise that didn't burn out my arms. But when it comes to the tedious task of compounding... and more compounding... the 7424 saved my arms and probably did a better job than I ever could have done by hand.

And I also found that spreading the wax via the 7424 did a better job then I could ever have attempted by hand.

I had read a lot about how guys swear by the 7424 and now I am a devotee as well. It is the best bang for the buck investment at saving your arms and cranking out the maximum shine that you can.

Here is a link that chats about the 7424

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-pc7424.html

As I previously noted... I bought my unit at a Porter & Cable Service Depot. It was a 'refurb' unit... that had never been used. It had ended up at the service depot because its box had been damaged at a store and someone had removed the manual. So they shipped it back to the local service depot - where they checked it, slapped a manual with it and put it on their shelves for 50% less then the normal retail cost. Plus it came with a full six month warranty from the service depot.

Nuff said... it makes a great investment because it not only will pay for itself during your 'rolling' project.. but you should be able to put it to good use for years to come waxing and buffing your car

Last edited by Marq; 08/26/06 10:17 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25629
08/27/06 08:43 PM
08/27/06 08:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have been following this thread for sometime now and thought i would chime in and ask something that i just noticed recently. The ones doing the stripes/two tone paint jobs how are you doing <pic's would help to see it if possible>. I am savingup for a project and a house so i have nothing to show for it other then alot of time reading

oh by the way

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25630
08/27/06 11:11 PM
08/27/06 11:11 PM
upstate western ny
sogtx Offline
master
sogtx  Offline
master

upstate western ny
Its hard to follow all the posts , can you mix and tint thr rustoleum to ,,,
an autumn bronze metallic, or is that asking too much ??

Last edited by sogtx; 08/28/06 06:36 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25631
08/28/06 11:35 AM
08/28/06 11:35 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

The ones doing the stripes/two tone paint jobs how are you doing <pic's would help to see it if possible>

look toward the bottom of page 27 to see pictures of my little brother's blue Camaro. (they are attachments at the top of the post) I laid out the stripes with plain ol' blue painter's tape and painted the primary color first. After all of the blue was on, I untaped the stripes and retaped them to mask the freshly painted blue. Then I applied the same number of coats of white as I had blue. after the paint cures sand down the ridges formed by the edges of the tape. The result is a stripe that you can't feel by rubbing your hand over it. (this is a technique that was used on show car stripes with lacquer paint jobs before polyurethane bc/cc was popular.

I hope that explaination answered your question.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: sogtx] #25632
08/28/06 03:17 PM
08/28/06 03:17 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Its hard to follow all the posts , can you mix and tint thr rustoleum to ,,,
an autumn bronze metallic, or is that asking too much ??

No... the Tremclad/Rustoleum and/or Brightside paints are not mixable to arrive at that sort of color...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ [Re: ONEBADBIRD] #25633
08/28/06 05:31 PM
08/28/06 05:31 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Hey 69charger, I've been folowing this thread since day one and really like what I've seen. The only thing that concerns me about using rustoleum paint is problems with fading over time. I work on tugboats that see nothing but rustoleum paint. Over the course of a couple years the paint gets a faded or chalky look or more so loses its luster. I know, how can you compare a tugboat to a beautiful classic car but just looking at the characteristics of the paint makes me wonder? Do you think that the extra steps taken of wet sanding and WAXING with the turtle wax greatly lessen the chances of the paint losing its luster or fading that I have noticed in an industrial environment (or if it were over time to lose its luster just buff it with some wax to bring it back possibly) . Other than that the rustoleum paint at work holds up well to its surroundings its as someone mentioned before hard as nails. As for the adhesion to the body of a car I wouldn't have any doughts about using it only to be sure proper steps were taken to give it a good surface to lay onto as in no heavy rust, dirt, or oil on the body of the car and if over old paint having the body roughed up to give it something to bite onto. What are ones thoughts on this comment? anyone? Jay (Keep rolling on fellas your paint jobs are looking great)

the prep is as any other paint job, BUT the use of primer is not necessary, prep with 400, do all the body work, and go straight to paint. as for the fading issue, think about it, if you take any paint job, paint the car and expose it to the elements, any paint will fade, there is no more maintance to the tremclad/rustoleum paint as compared with auto paints, and the durability is probabally better then an auto paint as far as resisting scratching/chipping because it really is tough paint.

here is a pic that i took about a month ago, the paint was done in 2000, middle of winter, tremclad orange:

that paint job has seen 35,000 MI, and counting, no fade, and it looks like the day i painted it.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44............ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25634
08/28/06 05:34 PM
08/28/06 05:34 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
by the way, i was at a boat show this weekend and saw.......get this......A SKID OF BOAT PAINTS!!! INTERLUX, BRIGHTSIDE, THINNERS, HIGH BUILD PRIMER. ECT...... i mean a poop load of paint, i asked the owner how much for the whole skid, keep your pants on but he said $100 for the whole skid!!!!! i might disclose the location to someone if they ask nicely

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25635
08/28/06 06:59 PM
08/28/06 06:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

...as for the fading issue, think about it, if you take any paint job, paint the car and expose it to the elements, any paint will fade, there is no more maintance to the tremclad/rustoleum paint as compared with auto paints, and the durability is probabally better then an auto paint as far as resisting scratching/chipping because it really is tough paint...

I painted my car with Rustoleum 'gloss white' in March...althought I repainted the car, the door jambs and inner fenders still have the Rustoleum paint. The funny thing is, it is now canvas/egg shell color. Elements?? the thing hasn't been out of the garage!! I wouldn't recommend this stuff to my worst enemy...

Also remember, if you paint with Rustoleum you can forget about ever using 'real' auto paint without stripping this junk completely off because it will not sand...stuff peels like latex after almost six months drying time...Chuck

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25636
08/28/06 07:19 PM
08/28/06 07:19 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I painted my car with Rustoleum 'gloss white' in March...althought I repainted the car, the door jambs and inner fenders still have the Rustoleum paint. The funny thing is, it is now canvas/egg shell color. Elements?? the thing hasn't been out of the garage!! I wouldn't recommend this stuff to my worst enemy...

Also remember, if you paint with Rustoleum you can forget about ever using 'real' auto paint without stripping this junk completely off because it will not sand...stuff peels like latex after almost six months drying time...Chuck

that's wierd, chuck, i can honestly say i've had nothing but the best results with tremclad, there must have been something either wrong with the paint or the prep, sorry to hear that, but the tremclad at least would absoultly never, ever peel or have adhesion issues, it's the exact opposite from my expirence.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25637
08/28/06 10:16 PM
08/28/06 10:16 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
What happened to Ausie Driver's car is what scares me about using the rusto paint. Whan I saw that I was sad for you man that stinks. Maybe the brightside paint which is made for using on pleasure boats and surfaces that are always soaking wet might deal with this water issue better. It almost seems to me that a clear coat would be the thing to keep the paint from going dull or changing a color shade all together say from (black to grey) or (red to pinkish) when getting rained on. Like I said maybe the brightside is the way to go I don't know. I have seen this paint have color fade once before. When my dad painted his 14 foot jon boat with (satin)forest green rusto. paint. It rained and the water sat on the boat in spots say overnight and it turned a lighter green where the puddles layed. So maybe a test is in order for me to try rusto with clear coat , brightside with no clear on some sheetmetal. Let them withstand the elements for a while and see which one comes out on top before I tackle my whole car. So when the paint job is all said and done I can rest at night. Knowing if my car sat in the sun for the day or got wet from the rain I won't have wasted my time and can get a couple years out of this paint job. Like I've said before I think this idea is just great. I just want it to work for me 110% like it did for 69charger. Heck maybe he can just paint (roller) my ride for me for say $5,000!!!!!! OUCH so much for "paint job on a budget" cheers fellas (have fun on your projects I know I am.)JAY

Page 59 of 159 1 2 57 58 59 60 61 158 159