Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Have you decided on how you're going to address the issue?

If you end up milling off the cast-in stands and replacing them w/ bolt-down blocks, could you post pics of the process? I'm interested in what's involved.

Thanks - Brad

EDIT: Forgot to ask, what did Procomp / Speedmaster say about the shaft fitment issue, since this is a manufacturing "thing" with their product?

Last edited by BradH; 10/05/18 02:50 PM.
Re: Pro Comp BB Victor CNC heads [Re: fast68plymouth] #2559457
10/05/18 03:11 PM
10/05/18 03:11 PM
Missouri
J
jwb123 Offline
super stock
jwb123  Offline
super stock
J

Missouri
I put a set of the procomp heads on my engine when they first came out, about 7 years ago. I bought the bare castings and hand ported them myself, intake flowed from my memory about 310cfm @ .700 I bought good valves, springs and retainers. Cam is 7.00 lift 277 duration has 225LB on the seat and around 574 open pressure. I opened them up to max wedge size, and I had no issues with shafts fitting the pedistals. engine is 512 CID and made 725HP car has run a best of 9.64@ 140mph I fresened the engine once four years ago just touchewd up the seats, guides were OK. Engine is due to be freshened this winter, been toying with the idea of having them CC ported to see how much they take off them from what I did. I did little to the chambers. Which shop is the most ressonable for the CC porting?

Re: Pro Comp BB Victor CNC heads [Re: fast68plymouth] #2559468
10/05/18 03:26 PM
10/05/18 03:26 PM
So. Burlington, Vt.
F
fast68plymouth Offline OP
I Live Here
fast68plymouth  Offline OP
I Live Here
F

So. Burlington, Vt.
Before sending them off for cnc porting, you may want to check out the Hughes site, and their references/warnings about those heads.
Apparently, their program makes the intake bowls so big it could break through at the head bolt area between the two ports, and the back side of the bowl by the header bolts.

I guess I’d want to verify that where ever you send them, that they know their program has been used successfully with the PC casting, since it’s likely they would have used an actual Victor head to develop the port/program......and it seems the PC’s aren’t as thick in all areas as the Vic’s.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads
Re: Pro Comp BB Victor CNC heads [Re: SS_Dodge] #2559503
10/05/18 04:20 PM
10/05/18 04:20 PM
Shelby Twp. Mi
HardcoreB Offline
master
HardcoreB  Offline
master

Shelby Twp. Mi
Originally Posted By SS_Dodge
You missed the point. I created that hypothetical situation to simply show the ambiguity of your argument. (And I responded to show the ambiguity of your 'fix everything' direction.) I'm not sure why you would comment it out, it's a story not a questionnaire..

Anyway, You can disagree if you like. But I think (you're allowed to speculate, but when you post it publically, you insinuate things/ unprofessional) your letting your personal friendship, feelings or whatever cloud your judgement. ("Cloud"in your opinion.) He's your friend and you feel the need to back him up...I get it. (Then you don't know me....if my 'friend' is wrong I won't argue against "truth" (I'm not defending HIM solely, it's anyone who deals with customers with your particular mindset to see in advance what they are taking on so in the future they can decide if it's worth their time.) what I feel is
Dwayne's a professional, he knows what he's capable of catching and what he's not capable of. He also knows the standard of workmanship and professionalism that he holds himself to. (This is classic patronizing...'you can do it')
I'm a professional as well, I do my best to hold myself to a high standard of workmanship and I'm the first to kick myself in the ass if I feel I'm not meeting those standards. (sincerely, that is respectable) I also expect the same high standards from those I engage to do work for me. (If his work doesn't meet your standards, I'd be happy to disappoint you)
Now if you think that I'm being too high in my expectations (no just TOO VAGUE), then I guess that's your problem because you don't have to carry the responsibilities that I do (lol really?) and you don't have to solve the problems that I have to deal with. (I guess not)
Walk a mile in my shoes, then you might be able to offer some worthwhile opinions. (I'm sorry the road is so rough for you)
The last thing I will say on the subject is this. You asked where the responsibility should end for inspecting a set of heads. This is basically what I do with brand new untested heads:

Visual inspection for flaws, shipping damage, etc.
Check finish of machined surface's and straightness.
Check all the machined holes and threaded holes.
Put on a head gasket, intake and exhaust gaskets to check chamber sealing and alignment of stud holes, ports etc.
Straight edge along the valves to check alignment and heights.
Drop in a rocker shaft to check fit, height of pedestal stands and alignment with valves. (how's he gonna do that with no valvetrain provided?) (besides ONE PART of "alignment" is 'geometry' and that is the BUILDERS responsibility
Check spring bases in head.
Guide clearance.
Seat inspection. (Now I'm not reciprocating being factious here, ALL what does this entail???...this can help ANYONE ELSE who is still reading.)
I may do other checks (? what are the other checks? ...list them, easy enough) if they have been CNC'd of are known to have common quality issues.(vague again...honestly I have NO IDEA the VERBAL? direction you gave him but it is just too vague to expect anyone to catch ALL the issues that could be with AGAIN a CHEAP COPYCAT of a produced head ESPECIALLY with vague direction)
If in doubt...call the customer....
You can get a pretty good idea if the heads are usable after this. You don't need to go crazy and put them through an MRI smile
It does not take long to do all this. It's not hard to do and I don't think it is beyond the ability of anyone who works on cylinder heads and has a high professional standard.
This is all done before any machine work is carried out, because if anything is wrong then the heads can be exchanged under warranty. Once they get cut you can't send them back.
It's also really important that this stuff is right if you are then going to send parts interstate or in this case overseas.
(OK now we are all learning something new...I recommend you add pressure test and dyno/integrity check before shipping an engine you build because that oversea's customer will be upset and hold you responsible for poor/thin castings. Even though this is not the nicest exchange between us, I feel there is something that could be learned here in practices and responsibilities

Re: Pro Comp BB Victor CNC heads [Re: fast68plymouth] #2559504
10/05/18 04:21 PM
10/05/18 04:21 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
I always thought the way they took weight out of the cast-in intake "spacer" was a nice idea. I mean, it doesn't accomplish much at the end of the day, but it just looks cool on there.

Re: Pro Comp BB Victor CNC heads [Re: ZIPPY] #2559763
10/06/18 09:31 AM
10/06/18 09:31 AM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
The following is not a comparison to this very informative thread however it does provide some perspective.

The fellow I work with is very good about finding "normal" issues and making the oddball parts I bring him fit together (bargain basement blem cranks, Edelbrock Victors, rocker spacers) and will often improve the design and serviceability of items for me. All of this ends up on the bill as R&D time. Some people have cried foul on that and I'm okay with it.

When we started putting my engine together with the pile of parts I had amassed he was looking at all of this untried and unproven stuff shaking his head. In his mind I was running a fool's errand trying out all of this, in his works "hokey sh%t" instead of getting a set of -1's and calling T&D or whomever (ala dvw's posts). Tried and true, hole in one type of project with the -1's vs. the headaches and 3 million piece valve train puzzle. I could see his reasoning and truthfully he was right. By making the decision to use "non-standard" parts I essentially agreed to pay for any R&D time that went into making my "junk" work. My junk ended up being a good combo just not in his comfort zone. To him it was like taking the backroads to work instead of the freeway. Time is money after all.

In my case I wasn't trying to step over a dollar to save a dime, but on a mission of discovery. Many do try the cost savings route and only end up with problems like these heads have. It's often better to find someone that is running what you are after and find out who built it. Otherwise be prepared to play the guinea pig.

And you sure as hell don't want you bonnet to catch fire lol

ps the next trip to engine shop I walked in the door with a very well used set of -1's and 1.7 Jesels : D Careful what you wish on yourself I told him lol

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4