08/20/06 08:53 PM
08/20/06 08:53 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have a question. This thread definetly has me wanting to do this, but I wanted to add stripes to the car. Maybe orange body, black stripes or something for my 78 camaro. Anyway, has anyone had success in doing this, and how exactly would it work? If I do the whole car orange in 6-8 coats and then add more coats of black on top of that for the stripes, wont the paint look kind of uneven, since the stripes will be raised?

I dont know what to do, if I should tape off the pattern of stripes I want to do and not paint it or if I can paint all the layers and sand the black stripes down or what to do. I think in automotive spray painting industry they add tons of clear coat on top of the body paint and stripes and then sand the crap out of it until theyre even, but I dont know if I could throw some clear on this or what? Any ideas guys???

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25580
08/20/06 09:10 PM
08/20/06 09:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Does anyone have any experience with the EBay Brightside red or blue paint? If so, any pics?

Last edited by JLPicard; 08/20/06 11:45 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25581
08/20/06 11:15 PM
08/20/06 11:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If you are concerned with perfect straightness, you might also investigate whether you'd be happy with the end result of the paint. It's not a show quality shine. So it would be worth doing some test panel first to see if it's worth all the prep it sounds like you want to do, then put a paint job over it that you might not like.

I want to see if this Brightside can produce as good a finish as the pictures show, so maybe I can paint my '71 Cutlass and leave it for a while until I can afford the $1500 to lay down some good BC/CC. Unfortunately my test car is an old, beat-up station wagon with lots of dents and rust spots. I will want to lay down this Flag Blue off ebay, which I understand is so dark it's almost black, and if the paint isn't going to look decent w/o waves, I might as well slather on some Rustoleum. But the ebay paint is a little more expensive.

I want to avoid Rustoleum right now because of the stories I hear about it not being compatible with automotive finishes (Tremclad may be an exception to this, but it's definitely a different formula); then again, Brightside might be just as bad! I don't want to make myself a huge amount of work when I go to shoot real, expensive auto paint over whatever cheap stuff I paint the '71 just to get it one color this year.

PS - One more question Marq - how would you rate the Brightside shine in comparison to the Tremclad, and to a new car's?

Last edited by oldsguy; 08/20/06 11:17 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25582
08/20/06 11:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

rustolium does make a clear coat.... i would do is paint the stripes and then clear coat.

if you do sand down the stripes you might get a faded line where the stripes begin and the orange stops. make sure you use the green body shop tape to lay out the stripes. they will make a crisp edge.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25583

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

o well, just means ur gunna have to take the paint down to metal..witch in the end would make a better paint job ne ways right

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25584
08/21/06 05:18 AM
08/21/06 05:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

rustolium does make a clear coat.... i would do is paint the stripes and then clear coat.

if you do sand down the stripes you might get a faded line where the stripes begin and the orange stops. make sure you use the green body shop tape to lay out the stripes. they will make a crisp edge.

A clear coat spray only though, right? I guess I can spray on many layers of clear coat after I do the stripes and basically sand it down, but ive never sanded a rattle can before.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25585
08/21/06 07:48 AM
08/21/06 07:48 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

...if the Brightside paint isn't going to look decent w/o waves, I might as well slather on some Rustoleum. But the ebay paint is a little more expensive.

If applied smoothly... the Brightside paint will look perfectly shiny WITHOUT going to the polishing and wax stage. I ran my car for almost a month after rolling it with Brightside and it looked like other cars... ( ie. it blended in with other cars and didn't stand out like some kind of side show clown car ).

Quote:

I want to avoid Rustoleum right now because of the stories I hear about it not being compatible with automotive finishes (Tremclad may be an exception to this, but it's definitely a different formula); then again, Brightside might be just as bad!

Completely WRONG. Brightsidee is a single stage polyurathane... Take a look at the top of the line product offering from MAACO - it is a polyurathane. Same stuff. 100% compatible. And you can paint enamel over a prepared polyurathane or you can paint another polyurathane over the Brightside.

The Tremclad and the Rustoleum are both enamels. IF THE PAINT HAS BEEN ALLOWED TO PROPERLY CURE there should be absolutely no problem putting 'real' automotive paint over it. The only problems might occur if a) the substrate was not properly prepared in the first place... or b) you rush to get a 'real' paint job slapped on it before it has fully cured.

Quote:

I don't want to make myself a huge amount of work when I go to shoot real, expensive auto paint over whatever cheap stuff I paint the '71 just to get it one color this year.

Maybe you should just settle for a nice coating of Interlux Pre-Cote primer - mixed 50/50 with the color you want to eventually use. You will get a solid color base with uniform coverage in just one or two coats. When it comes time for a real paint job.. you would just do a final sanding on the Pre-Cote and shoot the 'real' paint.

Quote:

PS - One more question Marq - how would you rate the Brightside shine in comparison to the Tremclad, and to a new car's?

Ok... this is an area where Brightside and the other paints differ. Brightside NATURALLY ends up with a high gloss shine with each coating. Whereas with the Tremclad/Rustoleum only reaches that level of shine ONCE the entire paint job is completed and you have gone through the compounding, polishing and waxing of all those coats.

I drove my car around for four weeks with just the final coating of Brightside on it. I wanted to let the paint fully cure before moving on to the compounding, polishing and wax stage. It looked very acceptable and did not stand out like a sore thumb or look like a crappy paint job. No embarassment factor.

The only thing that might have given me better results would have been if I had sprayed the Brightside rather than roll it. I believe I would have had less work with the wet sanding and I would probably have had an even smoother/shinier/glossier finish.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25586
08/21/06 07:56 AM
08/21/06 07:56 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I have a question. This thread definetly has me wanting to do this, but I wanted to add stripes to the car. Maybe orange body, black stripes or something for my 78 camaro. Anyway, has anyone had success in doing this, and how exactly would it work? If I do the whole car orange in 6-8 coats and then add more coats of black on top of that for the stripes, wont the paint look kind of uneven, since the stripes will be raised?

Errrmmm... that is the way it ususally looked when you use the stickly decal type pin stripes and large racing type stripes.

But think about it for a minute. The layers of paint that you are putting on are only about 1 mil thick. If it takes 3 layers of paint to get 100% coverage of the stripe that means you are raising a surface of about only 3 mil ( roughly the thickness of a garbage bag ) Just for comparison sake.. those plastic stick on stripes are about 5 mil to 10 mil thick...

And... if you do your main body painting first... stripes second.... and then do your finishing wet sanding, compounding, polishing and waxing AFTER than you will have control over the feathering of the edges so that they visually blend in... rather than 'rise' above the surface.

Quote:

I dont know what to do, if I should tape off the pattern of stripes I want to do and not paint it or if I can paint all the layers and sand the black stripes down or what to do. I think in automotive spray painting industry they add tons of clear coat on top of the body paint and stripes and then sand the crap out of it until theyre even, but I dont know if I could throw some clear on this or what? Any ideas guys???

The chap here with the Z28 Camaro and the other chap with the Datsun 240Z car that laid large stipes on their cars can probably talk more intelligently on the striping process. Their pictures are somewhere back in this thread.

Last edited by Marq; 08/21/06 08:04 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25587
08/21/06 08:11 AM
08/21/06 08:11 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Be careful mixing Brightside. The white brightside is very thick and needs to be thinned alot. The black Brightside is so thin, it's watery.

When you mix the two it's almost impossible to keep them mixed for more than 5 minutes. You get black swirls on top of the grey.

Btw, I used a squirrel mixer on it for about 10 min and it still separates.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25588
08/21/06 03:04 PM
08/21/06 03:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just have to say that my pictures of the wavy black brightside were totally my fault and not the paints. I rushed it, put on too many layers, and didnt get rid of the brush marks inbetween. So it built up and looked that way.

What I did recently (just before my car was put in the shop for the last week) was sand off all the wavy paint (using a block) and put another layer of paint on with just a roller. I put it on pretty thick, though. Anyway, the gloss is there but so is some orange peel (because of the thickness). The previous brush marks are pretty much gone. I dont mind about the orange peel, because I am working outside and the finish has all sorts of dust and bugs in the paint that I have to sand out anyway. And since I sanded, compounded, and polished the paint once before, I know I can do it again with really good results.

So yes, if you can work very cleanly, the brightside will be shiny and smooth (if put on thinly) without sanding, but if you do have to sand (like I will) you can certainly get the gloss back, it just takes a lot more work.

hopefully i will get my car back today, then work on it the rest of the week, and post some more pics when its done.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25589
08/21/06 03:39 PM
08/21/06 03:39 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
What I suspect for the Brightside is that it may be at its best when it is sprayed on. That cuts down on any surface imperfections and reduces the amount of wetsanding that is required.

When rolling Brightside it might be useful to build up some extra layers just to give you some room to play when wetsanding and then compounding.

At this point I have been able to wet sand, compound using 3m Perfection III and then wax it up using Meguirs pure carnuba and the Meguiars High Tech synthetic wax.

So I know you can get a mirror finish onto the Brightside - and to get that result really depends on how smooth the surface is.

I was watching American Hotrod the other night and they were doing one of their 'rush' jobs on a 1956 Chev convertible. What caught my attention was that because they were 'squeezed' for time - they made the paint shop boys work through Christmas - when it came to painting they deliberately laid on SIX layers of bright red over a base coat of yellow. What caught my attention was that they sprayed on all those layers KNOWING that it was going to result in severe orange peeling. BUT... they planned on doing a ton of wetsanding to get the smoothest possible surface to compound, polish and wax. I seem to recall that it was a Dupont automotive paint that they were spraying because they had a problem getting the product due to the holidays and had to have it shipped direct from Dupont via courier.

But the key thing I learned from that episode was that you can be over generous with the paint, ignore any orange peel and remedy that orange peel with the wet sanding. And when you consider the hundred grand $$$$$$ that they are charging for their cars we just have to assume that that reworked orange peel paint job MUST have been amasing or the customer would have been mucho pisst-offo...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25590
08/21/06 07:14 PM
08/21/06 07:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I started on an 01 Hyundai Accent 3 days ago on a wim. Decided to goto home depot and give this rustoleum a shot with a foam roller. Looked horrid then I started scouring the web for help and ran across this article, same concept only with much more insight and steps.

So far I've been following the steps verbatim and it really is one of those things you have to get a hang of yourself, but thankfully things are just now starting to come togeather after sanding, painting, completely stripping, repainting completely stripping, repainting. and many hours of

So far the biggest tip I've stumbled upon in getting rid of the orange peel effect is how well you smooth out the paint with wetsanding between coats. I'm using 1000 grit and it works really really well, just takes a really long time.

Heres my progress so far. Today is the only day I finally got the show room finish shine to surface and I about pissed myself. Having my luck though, my first last and so far only buffer pad shredded itself right when the shine surfaced so now I gotta run back into town, a 60 mile trip

Never the less I'm anticipating the final result now that I got it down pat. Atleast a hell of alot better than I did before.
BTW: Painting in the sun makes thepaint flatten itself alot faster than inmy garage, or so I've noticed. my

Also I'd like a picture of 69 charger to blow up and make a poster out of so I may place it next to my 6 ft x 4 ft poster of bruce lee to praise every night.

69Charger I SALUTE YOU!
Pics:
From a distance...almost there
http://www.fileupyours.com/files/74/sonigram%20pics%20085.jpg
Ugly Orange Peal soon to be laid to waste. http://www.fileupyours.com/files/74/sonigram%20pics%20083.jpg

This is the somewhat purdy shine that I finally buffed out and then my buffer pad decided it had had enough.
http://www.fileupyours.com/files/74/sonigram%20pics%20081.jpg

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25591
08/22/06 12:06 AM
08/22/06 12:06 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

3 coats so far on my 87 GN.

Edit: I have 3 coats now, but the pic is only 1 or 2 now that I look closer. Mark

2864545-GN3.jpg (625 downloads)
Last edited by Mark E; 08/22/06 12:17 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25592
08/22/06 12:07 AM
08/22/06 12:07 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another

2864550-GN4.jpg (654 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25593
08/22/06 12:08 AM
08/22/06 12:08 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Before

2864552-GN.jpg (593 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25594
08/22/06 01:37 AM
08/22/06 01:37 AM
Oakland california, USA
Dart360sav Offline
super street
Dart360sav  Offline
super street

Oakland california, USA
Mark i'm waitin to see your finnished product, black is the color i want to do. Hope it comes out good

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Dart360sav] #25595
08/22/06 04:12 PM
08/22/06 04:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Look at this stuff.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25596
08/22/06 07:34 PM
08/22/06 07:34 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Here's a few pics from Moparfest, as promised. Not the sharpest truck there, but still able to stand out in a crowd. The red truck on the left had a very unique body lift, frame welded on top of frame. motor and trans on lower and body on top, simple and easy. Ingenious!!
Had an absolute blast telling people the paint job was Tremcald and foam roller. They just about fell over.

2866289-mfest1.jpg (790 downloads)

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25597
08/22/06 07:41 PM
08/22/06 07:41 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
78D150CLUB  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Another set. The truck to the right was almost a mirror image in color for mine, so we decided to park together. That turned a few heads, as well.
His was a 78 D100 SB with a /6 that was pro done as a body shop's truck before he bought it. Looked almost as good as mine did
Great weekend, and actually met a few of the moparts members as well. Saw a car that looked a lot like 69chargeryeehaa's but no one was around, so I couldn't confirm it. Were you on the field Sat. by any chance?

2866313-mfest2.jpg (624 downloads)

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Page 57 of 159 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 158 159