08/18/06 12:21 AM
08/18/06 12:21 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Thanks for the tip Dave. I'll give it a shot with lacquer thinner, but I wont sweat it at all if I can't get that can to work again since the area that needs to be the most durable is already painted with rustoleum when the can was working.

I hadn't thought about a tail stripe.. if I did one it would probably be black because I want to put a flat black fiberglass hood on it too.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25559
08/18/06 01:02 PM
08/18/06 01:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the pics EXIT, looks good, Im still debating on if I should or not, cause black is just a nice color, and I like chrome and black/chrome combo rocks, but thanks, Im still uindecided,well Ill have all winter to decide since itll be sitting, but as of now here it was the black looks like after wetsnaded and washed/waxed

still needs alot more wetsanding, but orange peel isnt bad, except on the trunk.

2855999-100_0341.jpg (554 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25560
08/18/06 03:43 PM
08/18/06 03:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

something to ad this late in the game, is i sprayed the rear fender and i had a run so i took a rag and wiped the paint off that ran then i re sprayed the spot and it worked fine no more runs.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25561
08/18/06 09:49 PM
08/18/06 09:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Why is the Brightside Red and Blue on EBay so cheap compared to normal internet retail? Has anyone used this stuff. I want to get some of the blue, but it is so darn dark, I wonder how I could lighten it up some?

I guess I could buy a Qt. of white.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25562
08/19/06 02:38 PM
08/19/06 02:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hey guys ive tried to read all thati can but i know i got the basics down but now people are experamenting with different paints and all...is the marine paint cheaper? and will it stick to just about everything and get good coverage? cause i got my camaro that igot half primered and half the primer is red and the other primer is grey, and i also just put new doors on that are burgandy that i sprayed some high heat paint on certin spots so they wouldnt rust cause when we loaded them into my buddys 2 door cavalier (not my old red one there) they got scratched a bit and a little dented so some bondo work is kinda needed...does it also stick to bondo? or is this gunna be one of those primer first jobs as compared to the tremclad...also whats with the talk of the reusable spray cans? where do u get them from..ne ways heres pretty much the best pic i got right now

might be a little big...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25563
08/19/06 06:11 PM
08/19/06 06:11 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

...people are experamenting with different paints and all...is the marine paint cheaper?

No... it cost about $35 a quart at a marine supply place. The Tremclad/Rustoleum method is using an enamel.. the Brightside is a one stage polyurathane. Hence the difference in price.

Quote:

and will it stick to just about everything and get good coverage?

Coverage depends on what color you choose. The light colors in both type of paints tend to hide more than the dark colors. I believe the lighter colors have a high amount of pigment solids.

Quote:

cause i got my camaro that igot half primered and half the primer is red and the other primer is grey, and i also just put new doors on that are burgandy that i sprayed some high heat paint on certin spots so they wouldnt rust cause when we loaded them into my buddys 2 door cavalier (not my old red one there) they got scratched a bit and a little dented so some bondo work is kinda needed...

My car started off as a multi-colored car like yours. The Tremclad/Rustoleum can probably get you up to a uniform color by eight coats of paint. The Brightside may take you 4 or 5 coats to get a uniform color on the entire car. By putting one uniform primer color on to the car you would probably end up not having to do a couple of layers of paint.

Quote:

does it also stick to bondo?

All the paints we discussed adhere over bondo, primer, scuffed paint, plastic, metal, fiberglass.. etc.

When starting off with a car of many colors I think it will make your job easier in the long run and the uniformity of the paint job better, by starting with a primer to give the paint one color to have to cover.

Quote:

also whats with the talk of the reusable spray cans? where do u get them from..

At this point from the discussions it sounds like they work... but not for a long job without a lot of care and maintence between painting..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25564
08/19/06 08:46 PM
08/19/06 08:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've been following the saga for about a week...read through ALL the posts! Anyway, I have a couple of questions about this process, both with Rustoleum and Brightside...
1. Since Tremclad said their clear should be thinned with lacquer thinner, has anyone tried thinning the regular Trem/Rusto with lacquer thinner?
2. How do you effectively smooth and level the body without first shooting a filler primer? Lots of bondo everywhere, then sand it all off??
3. Marq, do you think Brightside could be easily sprayed out of a HVLP?
4. Did the Brightside paint require as much wetsanding between coats as the Tremclad did? I'm trying to save myself some wetsanding time...
5. Has anyone tried laying down that Brightside being sold on eBay yet??

I'm looking to paint my beater diesel Olds station wagon and later tackling my '71 Cutlass 'vert if that works out well!

Chris

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25565
08/19/06 10:13 PM
08/19/06 10:13 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Filler primer would be a good idea if you have lots of scratches. I didn't do it, but I had a pretty straight body to begin with. The rustoleum will fill in sanding scratches (esp. with 18+ coats) to some extent, but for big scratches or gouges you can use a skim coat with bondo and fiberlgass resin, start the sanding with 180 which is not aggressive, and feather it into the surrounding area.

If you are concerned with perfect straightness, you might also investigate whether you'd be happy with the end result of the paint. It's not a show quality shine. So it would be worth doing some test panel first to see if it's worth all the prep it sounds like you want to do, then put a paint job over it that you might not like.

Very important point, Exit... [Re: Exit1965] #25566
08/20/06 06:29 AM
08/20/06 06:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

...and glad to see it brought up, since some of the newer folks may have missed the original point of this mammoth thread.

This isn't about show quality or prefection. It's about creating a finish of reasonable quality on a limited budget. It's a campaign, a quest to rid the roads of multi-hued beaters that shame their drivers who can't afford a trip to the paint shop.

Perfection and the concourse are about $10,000 thataway....a sense of satisfaction and pride in doing it yourself are right here.

Re: Very important point, Exit... #25567
08/20/06 08:21 AM
08/20/06 08:21 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

...Perfection and the concourse are about $10,000 thataway...

There are other options between Rustoleum and $10,000. A fantastic paint job can be had for less than $1,000 and it goes up from there depending on what you want and how much you plan on doing yourself...

As far as i'm concerned, Rustoleum is not even a viable option. I would roll on 'real' auto paint first. I painted my car with Rustoleum - it will never happen again...Chuck

Re: Very important point, Exit... #25568
08/20/06 10:29 AM
08/20/06 10:29 AM
Ohio
P
pdqvsix Offline
pdqvsix  Offline
P

Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

As far as i'm concerned, Rustoleum is not even a viable option. I would roll on 'real' auto paint first. I painted my car with Rustoleum - it will never happen again...Chuck

Would you mind giving some more details on what kind of problems you had with the rustoleum paint? I'm just about finished painting my car with rustoleum gloss white but i haven't had the car out of the garage, yet. The paint looks great and seems very tough as far as i can tell anyway.Thanks for any info you would care to share.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25569
08/20/06 12:44 PM
08/20/06 12:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just want to say thank you guys for your help and solving my slight issue. It was infact the gloves...since I didn't have that issue when working on the car. Speaking of which..here is the sixth coat...still need to wetsand and polish..but I love the results.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25570
08/20/06 01:45 PM
08/20/06 01:45 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

2. How do you effectively smooth and level the body without first shooting a filler primer? Lots of bondo everywhere, then sand it all off??

[\quote]

My car began life as a car of many colors and bondo work. Initially I used black spray cans of primer to give the car one color ( to keep cops from eyeing it too much when I had it out on the road ). When I was in the midst of doing the 'roller paint job' with Tremclad and made the switch over to Brightside paint, I re-rolled the entire car using Interlux's Pre-Cote primer. It does an excellent job of coverage AND you can cut it with 50% of the paint you are going to use AND it can be sanded smoooth. Yes, that primer comes in a can and can be cut with thinner and rolled just like the paint. I then sanded the primer to as smooth as possible.

Quote:

3. Marq, do you think Brightside could be easily sprayed out of a HVLP?

Yes... Brightside can be applied to a surface in a number of ways. HVLP is a good way to get a smooth application done... just be sure to take all appropriate safety measures from all the 'stuff' that is going to be in the air

Quote:

4. Did the Brightside paint require as much wetsanding between coats as the Tremclad did? I'm trying to save myself some wetsanding time...

With the Brightside you will end up reducing the number of wetsandings BECAUSE it will take less coats of paint. Less coats of paint means less wetsanding when you are wetsanding every second coating... ( Tremclad/Rustoleum roller paint may take up to 8 coatings - Brightside roller paint may take only up to 4 or 5 coats of paint )

Last edited by Marq; 08/20/06 04:27 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25571
08/20/06 01:49 PM
08/20/06 01:49 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
It looks like you have done a great job on your car... Kudos to you !

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25572
08/20/06 02:07 PM
08/20/06 02:07 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
On the topic of polishes etc....

So I have begun the task of moving from a straight paint gloss and shine - and I am now working on the POLISHING and waxing stage of my McLaren... So I thought I would share some observations...

3M Perfection III compounding

I had read a lot of good reviews on the 3M Finesse II for compounding the paint. Unfortunately when I went to the local body shop supplier he 'claimed' that they no longer make that product and that they now selll the new improved version as 3M Perfection III. The stuff did a great job with the Brightside paint - and I would suspect it would do an equally excellent job on the Tremclad/Rustoleum - since it is designed for 'all types of paints' according to its packaging. It did an excellent job of getting the paint smooth and glossy.

TURTLE WAX ICE

Well this product turned out to be a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT. As far as I am concerned it is no better then spraying Armorall on your paint job. It applies easily and looks GREAT when first applied. Then as it dries out you realize that the CRAP is 99% mineral oil... and that oil is what was giving the great temporary shine. In the end even that trace of a shine disappears. But then again what should we expect from a product where the manufacturer says you can also use it on your vinyl interior and rubber etc. I took this CRAP back to the store and got my money back. I was furious. I felt very let down by the strong brand name of Turtle Was. Frankly they should be embarassed selling ICE - and not float advertising about how this product is going to be their flagship product into the next century.

MEGUIRER pure Carnuba wax.

Everyone said that pure Carnuba was the best for waxing, shine, water repelling etc. And they were RIGHT. Funny thing about this product... it is suppose to be pure carnumba... but you know they are LYING simply because the stuff smells like Bananas... I am no Carnuba expert but I am pretty sure that natural carnuba doesn't smell like bananas. Pure ? Uh... it can't be. Oh well I digress. The Meguiars product went on nicely with the Cable & Porter polisher. It not only laid on a shine but it was able to give a darker and deeper appearance to the compounded paint.

Meguiars XTech Wax

Now... this is the flagship product of Meguiar and they said that it would give a shine and deep coloring that rivals the carnuba. They were right. Although it is all synthetic, they are right that the end result will rival carnuba. Apparently this synthetic is all based on polymers and nano-technology where the glossing molecules are able to become part of the paint etc. All I know is that this tuff worked great over the compounded paint job. Overall I would give it thumbs up ( and it certainly kicks the a$$ of the Turtle Wax's flagship product ).

One nice thing is that the two Meguiars products are quite complementary and you can use BOTH to reap the benefits of each of the products.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25573
08/20/06 03:12 PM
08/20/06 03:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yah turtle wax can't wax them selves out of a hole. never was a good product except there rubbing compound. i use mothers 3 step wax on my vehicles.

i have the norton ice product that has 3 pads for polishing a wool, blue foam and a yellow foam. when i worked at dealerships this is what they used and i tried it on the old paint before i started and it came out like glass. so i will use it on the rustolium when i get the car put back together...

Last edited by mybuick; 08/20/06 03:15 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25574
08/20/06 03:19 PM
08/20/06 03:19 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Painted the door and trunk jambs with HVLP gun and rustoleum. Wish I had used this for the engine bay, it would have worked much better than that pump up spray can (which seems to not work much anymore).

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25575
08/20/06 04:30 PM
08/20/06 04:30 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Painted the door and trunk jambs with HVLP gun and rustoleum. Wish I had used this for the engine bay,

Which model HVLP are you using.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25576
08/20/06 04:39 PM
08/20/06 04:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

thats how i did my car all with a hlvp spray gun.

before

after

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25577
08/20/06 06:31 PM
08/20/06 06:31 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
It's a harbor freight gravity feed gun and 1.4 tip. I barely tuned anything at all.

Page 56 of 159 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 158 159