A recent situation with my Sea Ray boat engine has me wondering if there are some telltales with Chrysler marine engines as there are with the GM/Mercruiser marine engine? I know the question of "is this a marine 440" has come up a few times and the most obvious is the direction of rotation but did Chrysler also do some of the things that I'm finding on the Mercruiser V8 like brass freeze plugs, a marine camshaft (power in the 4000-4500 rpm range), angled oil pan for corrected oil level when boat is on plane?. Also the Mercruiser intake manifold is angled for the carb/float bowl to be horizontal on plane also and higher under the carb for more torque. There are a few more telltales specifically for marine application and really wondering if Chrysler also tweaked the 440 engine for this app that would help I.D. the difference.

Also a question with the 440 Industrial engines, would they for any reason use an HP engine versus a standard type 440 workhorse engine? If an engine assembly pad is stamped 440 E HP2 is there any chance it was an industrial engine with that stamping and a 402 oil pan?

Thanks

Mike