08/01/06 05:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

However... there are many edges that - despite careful sanding - have been sanded down to bare metal, and I am concerned about skipping the Pre-Kote primer. Otherwise, the hood is in good shape, with about only 2 *tiny* nicks that I have found that are too deep to sand out. After all, the paint does say to prime bare metal...

These spots are small, but you know how it is with edges... everything just comes right off!

On my bumpers, I sanded much of it to bare metal. No problems covering. A few coats and it was a uniform color. I did not see any need to primer. My experience, Mark E.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25339
08/01/06 05:57 PM
08/01/06 05:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

"the rustoleum i have not used, but it's very simmilar to the tremclad which i think is the same as rustoleum professional."

I have been testing with the Rustoleum Stops Rust. Has anybody tested with both the Stops Rust and the Professional? If the Tremclad may be more similar to the Professional, maybe I should do some testing with the Professional.....

Any Comments??

Thanks, Mark

I would get the professional if you have a choice. Some colors aren't available (or readily available) in the professional type. I've gotten a good shine out of the red professional stuff, and im painting my car white with the stops rust stuff. I hope I can get the white to shine like the red did.

I will get a hold of some Professional and test it out this weekend. I will report what I find. Thanks, Mark E.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25340
08/01/06 05:59 PM
08/01/06 05:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Get a spray bomb primer and prime the bare metal. Choose a color primer that's closest to what the rest of the car is (i.e. a black primer for a dark colored car). After it fully dries (per label instructions for that particular primer), lightly sand it with a 400 or so to blend the surface to the rest of the substrate. You'll then be good to go with your painting.

I do have a bottle of Picklex 20 rust converter/metal prep which I could brush onto those spots, I might go that route.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25341
08/01/06 06:05 PM
08/01/06 06:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I do have a bottle of Picklex 20 rust converter/metal prep which I could brush onto those spots, I might go that route.

That's the "right" thing to do. A lot of people here have painted directly over bare metal and it probably looks ok, but that doesn't make it good painting practice, nor does it insulate them from problems a month, a year, or 2 years down the road. Do what the paint mfr. suggests right on the label of the can, and keep Murphy and his family at bay

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25342
08/01/06 07:49 PM
08/01/06 07:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ooops, I am using Rustoleum, so my comment may not be applicable. Mark E.

Quote:

Quote:

That's the "right" thing to do. A lot of people here have painted directly over bare metal and it probably looks ok, but that doesn't make it good painting practice, nor does it insulate them from problems a month, a year, or 2 years down the road. Do what the paint mfr. suggests right on the label of the can, and keep Murphy and his family at bay

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25343
08/01/06 07:52 PM
08/01/06 07:52 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Ooops, I am using Rustoleum, so my comment may not be applicable. Mark E.

Quote:

Quote:

remember this is rust paint we're talking about

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25344
08/01/06 10:29 PM
08/01/06 10:29 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HULLO FROM AUSTRALIA

thanks 2 everyone who has put the time and effort into getting this info out. I have started a test using our equivelent called Killrust. I am up to 6th coat. I am sooooo impressed with this technique as i have never been able to paint, not even my nails

here is the link to the forum where i have all my pics from first coat thru sanding up to 5th coat
http://www.gmh-torana.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7747

bye for now
XXXKAZXXX

Last edited by kazfromadelaide; 08/01/06 10:31 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25345
08/01/06 10:52 PM
08/01/06 10:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

pics don't work...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25346
08/01/06 11:03 PM
08/01/06 11:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I would get the professional if you have a choice. Some colors aren't available (or readily available) in the professional type. I've gotten a good shine out of the red professional stuff, and im painting my car white with the stops rust stuff. I hope I can get the white to shine like the red did.

I had to special order my "Sand" professional from Lowes, so just an FYI Lowes will special order any available color for you.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25347
08/01/06 11:11 PM
08/01/06 11:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25348
08/01/06 11:14 PM
08/01/06 11:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've started prepping my truck in earnest today, I'm keeping a running library of pictures (as I remember to take them) at http://faith.dixiesys.com/72GMC

Today's work starts at this pic:

http://faith.dixiesys.com/72GMC/IMAGE_00068

Right now I'm doing seek and destroy on rust, as I clear a spot of rust I'll just spray can it (with red primer or white whatever's handiest so I don't have to constantly mess up rollers). Then it's bondo time to fill a couple dinks, and one rust thru spot. Then it's paintin time hopefully before September starts!

This truck is old, and whoever painted it last did a seriously crappy job so my work is cut out for me.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25349
08/02/06 12:15 AM
08/02/06 12:15 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
this may have already been answered, but way too much to read through at this point, but here goes. My brother wants to use this on his dodge rampage, which has the plastic front nose. The truck will be driven year round including canadian winters, so we're wondering if the paint will flex enough for plastic and not develop those stress cracks that the paint on some used plastic body panels have. I know that body shops use some sort of flex additive for plastic body panels and such but not sure of what should be used with tremclad?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #25350
08/02/06 03:00 AM
08/02/06 03:00 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

this may have already been answered, but way too much to read through at this point, but here goes. My brother wants to use this on his dodge rampage, which has the plastic front nose. The truck will be driven year round including canadian winters, so we're wondering if the paint will flex enough for plastic and not develop those stress cracks that the paint on some used plastic body panels have.

Since I have used both the Tremclad/Rustoleum and the Brightside paint... I will take a shot at this question.

I don't think you have to worry about the flex of these paints when applied as per the Charger 'thinned out' method.

The skin being left on the car parts is very thin. This allows it more flex then say a straight coated paint job which might be up to 5 times thicker when cured.

My first thought when I read the question was this... most factory paint jobs are prone to cracking (spidering type cracks) when the plastic is flexed beyond a 'certain point'.

Normally when a body part reaches that 'certain point' of flex it is the plastic itself that is going to crack.

Overall... I would suggest that either of the paints would provide equal or better ability to withstand 'reasonable' flexing of the plastic body parts when compared against a factory paint job.

My McLaren has a very flexible front bumper/aero effects and rear bumber/aero effects. I have layers of both Tremclad and Brightside paint on them. I have no qualms or fears that this will be an achilles heel or weakpoint of this paint job.

Last edited by Marq; 08/02/06 03:07 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25351
08/02/06 10:14 AM
08/02/06 10:14 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok, I started off thinking I was going to use the Restolium Gloss White. Then the Brightside was introduced and I thought I'd use that (less coats/no thinning). Now "yellowing" has been brought up....for a gloss white paint job what do you guys recomend?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25352
08/02/06 10:36 AM
08/02/06 10:36 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Ok, I started off thinking I was going to use the Restolium Gloss White. Then the Brightside was introduced and I thought I'd use that (less coats/no thinning). Now "yellowing" has been brought up....for a gloss white paint job what do you guys recomend?

I think I pretty well covered off that topic in my previous reply...

Quote:

White in any paint has a tendency to acquire a yellow tinge with age. That is why most professional painters tend to add a spec of blue tint to their 'white' to permanently ward off the yellowing. This is especially true of CHEAP LATEX white paint. But that is also more relevant to 'old' paints from the 'old days' and the chemistry of modern paints have taken steps in the chemical composition of the paints and pigments (solids) to prevent yellowing. But even moderm CHEAPER BY THE GALLON type paints may suffer from not having anti-yellowing technology in them. Heck... even the polyurathane composition of the Brightside paint would help in sealing off the ability of oxygen to get beneath the outer skin of the paint job to discolor the pigment. And even further the solids or pigments are completely encapsulated and surrounded by the polyurathane which prevents oxygen from reaching them... And lastly... Brightside is a polyurathane... ( think of a liquid PLASTIC ). I would really like to know what type of staining substance can penetrate a solid plastic barrier. It just doesn't make sense.

The 'off white' colors are usually pre-dispositioned towards 'yellowing' in that they have a pigment that gives the initial 'off white' color. I don't think that would contribute to further 'yellowing' of that 'offwhite' color because these paints are engineered to hold their initial color without fade or discoloration for as long as it is chemically feasible. As we all know.. ALL paints eventually change color - and the real comparison of good paints and bad paints is 'how long is the paint engineered to hold its initial color. In this regard I think the Brightside and the Tremclad/Rustoleum are both engineered to 'hold their color' longer than many of the other paint products out there.

The only hint of a stain would occur where a substance with a contrasting color is able to enter the microscopic pores of the paint surface. But even there the staining substance can probably be encourage to detach itself from the pore with the right washing or cleansing. And in a worst case scenario the 'pore' could be removed with a wetsanding - since those pores only exist on the outer surface and do not act like passageways through the paint..

The Brightside paints for example do have special anti-UV ingredients to prevent fade or color changes from the ultra-violet rays of the sun.

But you mentioned that 'you had heard of yellowing in areas where there was no direct sun the whites were changing to yellow. My first thought is that it is obviously not a UV problem. Hmmmm... something not exposed to the sun.. like an inside cabin... would be affected by cigarette nicotine... that would yellow a white wall... or cooking in a galley would release things into the air that would yellow the walls inside the boat if they were enclosed and painted white. Just visit my mother's kitchen to see how cooking changes the colors of her kitchens walls etc.

So overall I think that concerns about 'yellowing' are a non-starter and shouldn't give you any concern.

Afterall... there is no paint manufacturer in the world that would deliberately allow a white paint that is guaranteed to yellow to go to market. It would be suicide for that paint manufacturer. So logically you know that the paint manufacturers are doing everything possible to minimize any chance of their white's yellowing... or their other colors fading.

The more pure or brighter the white you choose.. the less likely it will yellow. And if you fear a possible yellowing... then just drop one DROP of blue into your white and that will guarantee zero yellowing ever ( although I suspect the paint manufacturers already do that with their brightest whites).

Last edited by Marq; 08/02/06 10:40 AM.
Dang, that looks familiar, Grimster! #25353
08/02/06 02:31 PM
08/02/06 02:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Time will fly by while you're working, though! And you'll be doubly proud of the results.

Here's where I started....

2816505-oldcar2.jpg (495 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25354
08/02/06 02:38 PM
08/02/06 02:38 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wiped down the hood with Interlux Special Thinner 216... man that stuff evaporates fast... it was tough to use sparingly and yet verify the whole surface was completely wiped down. Next, I went with brushing on Picklex 20 on all edges and ridges, anywhere there is a *risk* of bare metal.

After that was wiped down and dried, I spend some time mixing the Brightside with Interlux 333 Brushing Thinner.. ~5-10%. Brightside directions call for no more than 10% thinning, so I followed these directions for my fist coat. (Sorry, I'm not trying to sound like an Interlux commercial, I'm just using same-brand products as a guarantee of compatability.)

I was in the circumstance of having to leave home for the evening to visit family, so I wanted to ensure that I got my fist coat on the hood so that it would dry while I was away... I had to skip thoroughly cleaning the garage and wetting the floor due to time constraints, and sure enough, there were plenty of bits and fuzzies in the finish by the time I was done rolling... but overall, It layed down pretty darn good!

I was surprised at the excellent coverage that I got, despite my efforts to lay on the thinnest layer possible. The roller seemed to apply with a little bit of tackiness, so I may thin a bit more on the next application. Even so, the paint layed down exceptionally flat after a half hour or so, and every one of the many bubbles that appeared as paint came off the roller popped either on their own, or by 2nd clean roller pass.

I actually did my touch-up cranny brushing *prior* to rolling (rain-tray grill, hood scoop), anticipating that the roller would do a better job of bringing all surfaces to a flatened, even finish if done after brushing - instead of brush marks ruining the rolled-on smoothness.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #25355
08/02/06 06:56 PM
08/02/06 06:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

this may have already been answered, but way too much to read through at this point, but here goes. My brother wants to use this on his dodge rampage, which has the plastic front nose. The truck will be driven year round including canadian winters, so we're wondering if the paint will flex enough for plastic and not develop those stress cracks that the paint on some used plastic body panels have. I know that body shops use some sort of flex additive for plastic body panels and such but not sure of what should be used with tremclad?

I have a friend who painted his Daytona, and he said he can twist the rear bumper like a wet rag and the paint doesn't care. Incouraging since my Shelby Charger GLHS has a ton of plastic.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25356
08/02/06 06:58 PM
08/02/06 06:58 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Prepping for paint after sanding.

My car is currently immobile inside the garage. You guys have any suggestions as far as trying to wipe it down/prep it for paint. I cant just roll it out and wash it down. Just blow it off with compressed air and wipe it down with mineral spirits?

I'm shooting to get my first coat on Friday. Should there be any sanding after the first coat? how much setup time between coats? Its been 95-100* outside lately, garage stays pretty warm, like above, i cant just roll it own and bake it in the sun. thanks

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #25357
08/02/06 09:03 PM
08/02/06 09:03 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Wipe down with a plain rag to de-dust then wipe it with mineral spirits. You might want to use papertowels for the mineral spirits so you can see when it's dirty and youre not just spreading dirt and oil around.

What I've been doing is, wiping down with mineral spirits and papertowels (between coats, it might take 3 or 4 papertowlels the whole car, using about 8 surfaces on each paper towel), then let the mineral spirits evap (may take 20 minutes or an hour depending on temp), then before I'm going to paint, I'll go around it with a lint free cloth, slapping it around getting rid of anything that might have landed while the spririts were evaporating. Then ready for paint.

Between coats, the longer the better (to a point), one day would be safe in hot temperatures depending LARGELY on how thick the layer of paint was. It should definately not be tacky whatsoever when you're adding a coat to it.

I put a thick coat on Sunday night (I think), and it was tacky for nearly 24 hours. It dried with very little orange peel. I gave it about 48 hours to dry just to be safe.

Page 45 of 159 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 158 159