07/29/06 10:17 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Since I'm going with gloss black I'll take my time.

To see what the car looked like before any work click here

Yup... I think the difference is going to be night and day for you. As they say... the paint job is 90% prep and 10% painting. But I think you are going to be able to renew your love affair with your can once you get a nice glossy black skin back on that puppy

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25279
07/29/06 10:36 PM
07/29/06 10:36 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Yup... I think the difference is going to be night and day for you. As they say... the paint job is 90% prep and 10% painting. But I think you are going to be able to renew your love affair with your can once you get a nice glossy black skin back on that puppy

Renew? I'm crazy about that car. My friends think I'm for loving an 80's Dodge. They shut up though when they get in and feel 15psi put them back in the seat. Then it's . The interior is near perfect, I just dropped about 3k into the front end, tranny, brakes, steering etc. The engine I installed 2500 miles ago. After painting I wont having anything to do .
I just picked up some glazing putty to REALLY smooth it out. I hope after all this I can get the mix and technique right.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25280
07/29/06 10:57 PM
07/29/06 10:57 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Speaking of mix and technique. I was working with a thicker mixture than usual just now when I painted my roof again, and it occured to me that I never posted the fact that I had not been doing the re-roll with light pressure part after a minute. The 20+ times I've painted now, has been with really thin paint, and not rolling over lightly a minute or so after first putting the paint down. With the thin mixture I normally worked with, there would be no lasting bubbles.

Tonight, it was a thicker mixture, and there were lasting bubbles. Bubbles that would only go away if I rolled over them very lightly. And at the same time, I have put down a thicker coat of paint. So far, it appears to be self leveling very well.

So if everyone else has been using a thicker mixture, but doing the roll-over about a minute after first putting the paint down, that would explain how a thicker mixture could work without much orange peel, since the re-roll seems to promote self leveling by picking up a bit of paint from the surface and spreading it down again. All along I've been doing thin coats, and never re-rolling.

Had I been using thicker mixture (or putting more of the thinner mixture on at a time) and re-rolling, as was the original prescription, I might well be done by now. Live and learn.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25281
07/30/06 01:58 AM
07/30/06 01:58 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, actually for now. I do not have any plans to paint the car. I'd just like it uniform color/primer look. Can Rustoleum Primer be rolled on? How would that be thinned?

Thanks

Yes... you can do the primer with a roller. In fact further back in this discussion thread, there was a link to a body shop association web site where they were actually lauding the 'rolling' of primer instead of spraying it. It would seem that the auto body industry is calling the 'rolling of primer' the next logical thing for shops to implement. Save application time... cuts down on noxious gases in the air ( enviromentally friendly ) etc.

I think the previous discussion in this thread about the Tremclad/Rustoleum primer was mixed on whether to thin it or use it 'straight'. It would appear that both work and the merits of either way balance out no matter which way you go...

If you thin the primer :

PRO : By thinning it you can get it to lay down smoother and it cures quicker...

CON : By thinning the primer you may affect its adhesion quality. You also will have a thinner primer surface to work with when you sand it prior to painting.

If you apply the Tremclad/Rustoleum primer straight from the can..

PRO : You will get a thicker layer of primer to help cover minor surface glitches and you will have a thicker surface to work with when sanding prior to painting. Adhesion should be at its best since you are using the primer in an untampered state.

CON : The curing time of the primer will be longer because the primer is thicker.

With the Brightside Pre-Cote primer... both of the above things apply.

With the Brightside Pre-Cote primer you can add 50% of your chosen color to the primer to give it a heads start towards the end color.

The same may apply with the Tremclad/Rustoleum primer. In that you would lay down an initial layer of straight primer. Then you would follow up with a second layer that is a blend 50% - 50% of the Tremclad/Rustoleum primer and the end color paint.

Thanks. So how would i thin Rustoleum primer? I'd like to stick to that because i can get it locally with no hassle. I wouldnt stray too far from out of the can, just a little thinner is what i would prefer. If i remember right it is laytex based, so how could i thin the primer?

Thanks!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25282
07/30/06 05:38 AM
07/30/06 05:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

A question to those who might know. Now we've pretty much completed our slacker method (me and my friend did his car). It came out nice but I would say we did prob half as good job of probably most the people on here (hey it looks better then before, thats what counts :P).

My question is though, I will be doing this to my car and since I love my car more I will do a lot more testing before I take it to the car, but I haven't gotten the chance to pick up a panel to test yet.

My main question is, would anyone think it would be easier sanding down to near bare metal, or bare metal itself, with something like > http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0401vwt_super15_s.jpg and then laying thin coats. I'm thinking it might help, maybe it's just me, I could see it needing more coats because of the bareness, but has anyone tried this? I'm sort of interested in doing so (since I want to do gloss white on my black car and I think doing that might be somewhat easier).

Let me know. Also, could you use that same tool to just scuff the paint quickly compared to using a block and paper alone? Advice would be a appreciated.

Last edited by Mattthecommie; 07/30/06 05:39 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25283
07/30/06 09:02 AM
07/30/06 09:02 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

A question to those who might know. Now we've pretty much completed our slacker method (me and my friend did his car). It came out nice but I would say we did prob half as good job of probably most the people on here (hey it looks better then before, thats what counts :P).

My question is though, I will be doing this to my car and since I love my car more I will do a lot more testing before I take it to the car, but I haven't gotten the chance to pick up a panel to test yet.

My main question is, would anyone think it would be easier sanding down to near bare metal, or bare metal itself, with something like > http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0401vwt_super15_s.jpg and then laying thin coats. I'm thinking it might help, maybe it's just me, I could see it needing more coats because of the bareness, but has anyone tried this? I'm sort of interested in doing so (since I want to do gloss white on my black car and I think doing that might be somewhat easier).

Let me know. Also, could you use that same tool to just scuff the paint quickly compared to using a block and paper alone? Advice would be a appreciated.

That tool is way too harsh for scuffing,it eats through paint and rust very quickly (depending on what drill it's attached to) and would be OK for stripping, but I would avoid stripping the whole car. There are scotch brite pads made for scuffing. I havent used them, I used some 320 grit wrapped around one of those soft sanding blocks for the areas of my car that I wanted to just scuff and go.

How is your friend's paint unsatisfactory? It seems like most appearance problems can be fixed by wetsanding with 2000, waiting a bit, then polishing. That would take care of orange peel and crap that landed in the paint.

As a followup to my using a thicker mixture - as of now, the paint is still tacky (after 11 hours at about 75 degrees). The thinner mixture would normally be dry by now.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25284
07/30/06 10:23 AM
07/30/06 10:23 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

That tool is way too harsh for scuffing,it eats through paint and rust very quickly (depending on what drill it's attached to) and would be OK for stripping, but I would avoid stripping the whole car. There are scotch brite pads made for scuffing. I havent used them, I used some 320 grit wrapped around one of those soft sanding blocks for the areas of my car that I wanted to just scuff and go.

How is your friend's paint unsatisfactory? It seems like most appearance problems can be fixed by wetsanding with 2000, waiting a bit, then polishing. That would take care of orange peel and crap that landed in the paint.

As a followup to my using a thicker mixture - as of now, the paint is still tacky (after 11 hours at about 75 degrees). The thinner mixture would normally be dry by now.

I have to agree with Exit. I stripped my car down to bare metal and reget it completely. Live and learn but I would have much rather sanded down the rusted sections then scuffed the rest. It would have saved me a LOT of bondo and sanding. If you're worried about the white on black taking an unbearable number of coats, you could look into the light gray primer or even use the light gray rustoleum for a few coats to lessen the shark difference between the white and black then coat overtop that with the white. If you do decide to strip the car to bare metal, look back to page 18 or 19 where I posted I was using the wirewheel and read the replies about using a 80 grit disc. There's a link there that had good information that I could have used before I started. And now, I head back to the garage for more sanding.... JOY!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25285
07/30/06 10:53 AM
07/30/06 10:53 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If you do decide to strip the car to bare metal, look back to page 18 or 19 where I posted I was using the wirewheel and read the replies about using a 80 grit disc. There's a link there that had good information that I could have used before I started. And now, I head back to the garage for more sanding.... JOY!

+1 on the 80 grit. Strips fast. Thats what I used on my one really bad fender.
And now....off to glaze the front clip.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25286
07/30/06 11:20 AM
07/30/06 11:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Alright, thanks for the info. As for the scotch bright pads, are those attachments for the drill? If not no big deal, I sanded one car, can always do another.

The paint on my friends car is unsatisfactory not because the method doesnt work, because we took shortcuts. His car was way rusted (was an east coast NY car) and the paint was near oxidizing and just looked horrid. Both of us wanted to try this method so we did, but we both dont have a lot of time with work and school in the way. So we did it quickly, not putting it on very thin (very much orange peel) doing some semi ok wetsanding, and we will soon polish.

Overall, again it looks probably 100x better then it did before, but it could look a bit better, but no reason to complain, it was there just for the purpose of looking better, and to learn on how to roll on it, wetsand...etc

I dont have any rust on my car other then a single spot so probably can just strip that down and bondo if I do need to. Also I do have a few dents and dings, I will see if there is any way I can get them out without having to do some body repair...but if I do, should I just use bondo on the dents and make it even with the rest of the car?

And Exit, sorry about not replying about the spray, I believe I remember seeing it when I went last time (was near end of june) I'm going to be going by today so I'll let you know if I see any canvas white in spray form.

Last edited by Mattthecommie; 07/30/06 11:22 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25287
07/30/06 11:45 AM
07/30/06 11:45 AM
USA
_
_Scott_ Offline
_Scott_  Offline
_

USA
Quote:

(hey it looks better than before, that's what counts :P).

The difference in the amount of work between a great looking result and one that's "hey it looks better than before", is attention to detail and more time. If you spend more time up front perfecting all the details, you'll be happier in the end, and it will be less total work than going back to fix areas you are not happy with.

Quote:

would anyone think it would be easier sanding down to near bare metal

If the existing paint is sticking well, not cracked or peeling, leave it there and just prep it. I only recommend stripping to bare metal if the car already has three or more paint jobs on it (including the original) or, as noted, the paint is falling apart and cracking/peeling/etc. If it is just cracking/peeling, only strip those areas where it needs to be stripped. It's rarely necessary to strip the whole car.

Quote:

I want to do gloss white on my black car

I'm pretty sure that's a crime. If it isn't, it should be. Maybe it's just me

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #25288
07/30/06 12:54 PM
07/30/06 12:54 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, actually for now. I do not have any plans to paint the car. I'd just like it uniform color/primer look. Can Rustoleum Primer be rolled on? How would that be thinned?

Thanks

Yes... you can do the primer with a roller. In fact further back in this discussion thread, there was a link to a body shop association web site where they were actually lauding the 'rolling' of primer instead of spraying it. It would seem that the auto body industry is calling the 'rolling of primer' the next logical thing for shops to implement. Save application time... cuts down on noxious gases in the air ( enviromentally friendly ) etc.

I think the previous discussion in this thread about the Tremclad/Rustoleum primer was mixed on whether to thin it or use it 'straight'. It would appear that both work and the merits of either way balance out no matter which way you go...

If you thin the primer :

PRO : By thinning it you can get it to lay down smoother and it cures quicker...

CON : By thinning the primer you may affect its adhesion quality. You also will have a thinner primer surface to work with when you sand it prior to painting.

If you apply the Tremclad/Rustoleum primer straight from the can..

PRO : You will get a thicker layer of primer to help cover minor surface glitches and you will have a thicker surface to work with when sanding prior to painting. Adhesion should be at its best since you are using the primer in an untampered state.

CON : The curing time of the primer will be longer because the primer is thicker.

With the Brightside Pre-Cote primer... both of the above things apply.

With the Brightside Pre-Cote primer you can add 50% of your chosen color to the primer to give it a heads start towards the end color.

The same may apply with the Tremclad/Rustoleum primer. In that you would lay down an initial layer of straight primer. Then you would follow up with a second layer that is a blend 50% - 50% of the Tremclad/Rustoleum primer and the end color paint.

Thanks. So how would i thin Rustoleum primer? I'd like to stick to that because i can get it locally with no hassle. I wouldnt stray too far from out of the can, just a little thinner is what i would prefer. If i remember right it is laytex based, so how could i thin the primer?

Thanks!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: _Scott_] #25289
07/30/06 01:03 PM
07/30/06 01:03 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
quite honestly primer is just a wast of time with this method and THIS paint, remember what it's called, and what it's original intent is for. primer just adds work, and helps those who are insecure sleep like little babies!!!, if you do prime, it's only adding a extra layer of paint that adds to less structual stability, and allows the paint to chip eaiser than without primer, and a thin layer of paint. this paint is allready formulated to be painted over rusted metal, auto paints are not, that's where the primer comes in (not to be used over rust) but you get my point. i would absoultly never strip a car to bare metal UNLESS: paint is peeling/cracking, or there is allready over 3 layers of previous paint jobs, even in the later case i would only strip down to the last "original" paint, and go over that, you can tell when your fixing rust, where and how many layers of paint there are on the car.

Exit - your method of thinnnnnnn layers helps with peel, and cuts wetsanding, but i would use the 10-20% thinned paint, and only do 5-6 coats, and have more wetsanding, that's why you need 10+ coats to get full coverage, and with thicker paint you get coverage in 4-6 coats, but more wetsanding time, either method works, but i bet now that you got the hang of it you could do a coat on the outside in about a hour or so.

Someone asked before (forgot who) how to clean the trays, rollers, ect...basically i use a new roller every day, and the paint tray i just clean with mineral spirits and towel papaers, if i am painting the same day i put the roller in a plastic bag, load it up before with LOTS of paint, then when you go to use it it is fine, but i find after 1 day and about 2 coats, the rollers don't work as well, and a new one makes a big difference, plus they are cheap if you buy them in a 5pack, which are about $1 a roller, and i'm not THAT cheap!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25290
07/30/06 04:50 PM
07/30/06 04:50 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

quite honestly primer is just a wast of time with this method and THIS paint, remember what it's called, and what it's original intent is for. primer just adds work, and helps those who are insecure sleep like little babies!!!, if you do prime, it's only adding a extra layer of paint that adds to less structual stability, and allows the paint to chip eaiser than without primer, and a thin layer of paint. this paint is allready formulated to be painted over rusted metal, auto paints are not, that's where the primer comes in (not to be used over rust) but you get my point. i would absoultly never strip a car to bare metal UNLESS: paint is peeling/cracking, or there is allready over 3 layers of previous paint jobs, even in the later case i would only strip down to the last "original" paint, and go over that, you can tell when your fixing rust, where and how many layers of paint there are on the car.

Well its not really that im 'insecure' over the paint. It is just that i don't actually want to paint a color red/blue/green/etc at the moment, and i dont want to worry about polishing the finish and such. I want the car one color. I'd rather not worry about peel, wetsanding, or polishing. If i can thin the primer, roll it on and not have a care for orange peel or polishing? thats what i'm looking for at the moment.

So how is it thinned?

Thanks.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25291
07/30/06 05:45 PM
07/30/06 05:45 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!

Ontario, Canada
Regarding the foam rollers, my wife found the very same roller in a 3 pack at the local dollar store. They seem to work as well as the ones from Can. Tire, and they have the one straight edge, not rounded on both. I found a big difference in roller lines with the straight, doesn't leave as much on overlap.

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25292
07/30/06 07:57 PM
07/30/06 07:57 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hey guys, i posted some pix couple pages back.
i havent got to finish the car yet cause i was so swamped with work, and its been raining on and off for about 2 weeks now.

on my finished and fully polished parts, the paint has water stains thats really hard to clean off, and alot of other stains (dirt, mud) feels like its attached and trapped to the paint and takes more effort than wetsanding to take them off. i did the final wetsand and polish about 2 weeks after the last coating, so im sure the paint had plenty of time to cure.

how do i go about solving this?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25293
07/30/06 09:19 PM
07/30/06 09:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

how do i go about solving this?

Curious about this, who all has had cars rolled and on the road for more than a few weeks? Is this normal or something just you seem to be experiencing. Maybe a good polish/wax would be the fix?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25294
07/30/06 11:33 PM
07/30/06 11:33 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

heres my buick grand national. i just got done painting it and not sanded it yet. very shiny now wil little imperfections.

heres what it looked like just before paint

it took me since june first to do because its so hot now. but i am almost done, all i have to do is reassemble the car...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25295
07/31/06 12:54 AM
07/31/06 12:54 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I love the GN. Can't wait to see it sanded and buffed out.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25296
07/31/06 03:16 AM
07/31/06 03:16 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
This coming up week, ill be waiting for parts/not getting much done to the car. Anyone just tell me what chemical is used to thin rustoleum primer?

thanks.

Very nice work on the GN! #25297
07/31/06 06:18 AM
07/31/06 06:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That's gonna be a sweet looking ride.

Page 42 of 159 1 2 40 41 42 43 44 158 159