07/26/06 08:44 PM
07/26/06 08:44 PM
georgia
D
darenrt Offline
darenrt  Offline
D

georgia
I have a sprayer much like the ones you guys are talking about, I love it painted my house in an hour
(after triming out the windows and such, that took two days) the nozzle it came with is for spraying latex house paint right out of the bucket.
A .017 I think but you can purchase as low as a.004 nozzle for spraying stain.
Just for fun I shot an old D50 truck bed and it looked real smooth!! truck was junk anyway and full of rust holes.
I really thought about using it years before reading any of this.
BEWARE!! it does shoot ALOT of paint at once. One pass coverage two passes and run city

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: darenrt] #25239
07/26/06 09:21 PM
07/26/06 09:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Finally got around to taking pictures. didn't get to make much progress with sanding the bondo but I know now that I put it on way too thick. This is definately a learning experience for me. I'll be going through many pages of 100 grit getting down to where I can put my 'skim coat'. ... Here's pictures thus far. This is definately taking much longer than expected but it's been said a million times that the prep work will determine the quality and I'm tired of looking at a s*%#ty paint job.

Bondo work

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, the sun was setting so it was starting to get darking out.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: BattleCruiser71] #25240
07/26/06 09:25 PM
07/26/06 09:25 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

So I had a friend who does newer little light trucks come up to me and ask me if I knew about the Mopar website with the rustoleum paint jobs. He has no idea I'm a longtime moparts member. I can't believe how this thread just keeps going and going and going. I saw it months ago and it's still active. Must be a record. 69Chargeryeehaa must be up for some sort of automotive sainthood for the interest he's generated across all segments of the automotive hobby. You're like a working class hero, helper of the little guy, friend of the common hobbyist. I think I'll even try it myself. Never thought I'd slather Rustoleum across the quarter panels of a 1972 Dodge Charger, but I think it's on it's way. Even if I don't like the product or get frustrated, I can always go get the expensive paint job I was originally going to have to get anyhow. and now it's off to go find the cliff notes summary of this whole process. I'm not even gonna ask as I'm sure it's been summed up more than a few times. I'm a believer.

thanks man i'm just trying to spread the love, help a few buds out.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: darenrt] #25241
07/26/06 09:28 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Thanks for the input guys. I guess it would be wise to test it on a spare door to see how it works. But it seems like the best way will be the roller....Whenever I actually get to the stage of painting my car.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: roe] #25242
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

i can tell you from expirence that that system won't work, you matters well just pour paint on your car, it will look better!!! ive used that system to paint a fence, the issues are that the roller design won't lay paint thin enough, the paint will dry too fast, and it regulates paint flow too fast, so you end up with too much paint, good for a fence/house, but NOT good for this application. you NEED to use a high density foam roller with the tremclad/rustoleum, maybe with the brightside paint a brush will do, cause the paint behaves differently, and looks as it self-levels better than the rustoleum/tremclad as MARQ has stated.

Hey Charger, I would have used the gun, not the roller. It says that it has a professional style sprayer. If you look through the site (not sure exactly what page) it will tell you a little about the spray gun.

Edit: Check out the FAQ page. Does the spraygun change your opinion at all

no, it would'nt, infact i played that game too, i just found it worked good for 10 mins, and then started spitting, back to home depot it went, besides the whole point about the roller is the ease, no-mess technique, and once you get the hang of it, it's super easy. inventory of things needed to paint, 1. roller, 2. paint tray, 3. paint, 4. tack cloth, 5. foam brushes, total cost about $20, result = priceless.

honestly, the roller method would be the ONLY way i would ever paint a car again if i were to paint a car myself, keep in mind, i've shot lots of single stage paint in my days, here's a example:

and that car above looks pro. BUT, i was high, batteling dust/dirt/bugs, and it made a huge mess, that's with a compressor and HVLP, duplicolor single stage, midnight metalic blue. my garage floor, walls, tools are a rainbow of colors i've painted over the years, i'm done with shooting paint in my garage, the roller is way too easy, plus i used one and a half gallons to paint that beetle, and 3/4 of a gallon to paint my charger which is 2 times the car!!!!

if your going to spray, use a HVLP gun, much better atomization, keep in mind what these wagner units are ment for, painting a fence, house, ect...not laying a 1 mil thin coat of paint.

here's a more recient pic of my charger, i can't see the difference, can you see the difference? roller it is then

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25243
07/26/06 10:27 PM
07/26/06 10:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hello all, this is the blind guy with the knight rider carr... not one reply to the polising question...

anyway, I did anothe coat and left my test piece out in the sun for almost 2 weeks... That should be plenty dry time... I will try the turtle wax polish again and see what happens... if it doesn't work out, then I'll try and find some stinky mineral spirits...

I do have a can of actual gloss black tremclad and clear coat... none of which I wanted to crack open until I had satisfactory results with the rustoleum... painted it was very shiny, but when I polished it with Turtle Wax it got dull...

Does anyone have a pic of tremclad / rustoleum with the brush on clear coat? It may be a couple of weeks before I get to that stage, just curious to see other's work. thanks.

Rafael

Last edited by Rafael; 07/26/06 10:35 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25244
07/27/06 12:48 AM
07/27/06 12:48 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hello all, this is the blind guy with the knight rider carr... not one reply to the polising question...

anyway, I did anothe coat and left my test piece out in the sun for almost 2 weeks... That should be plenty dry time... I will try the turtle wax polish again and see what happens... if it doesn't work out, then I'll try and find some stinky mineral spirits...

I do have a can of actual gloss black tremclad and clear coat... none of which I wanted to crack open until I had satisfactory results with the rustoleum... painted it was very shiny, but when I polished it with Turtle Wax it got dull...

Does anyone have a pic of tremclad / rustoleum with the brush on clear coat? It may be a couple of weeks before I get to that stage, just curious to see other's work. thanks.

Rafael

I don't remember the polishing question. If your polishing is not leaving a shine- try letting it cure longer, and do it when the temperature is cooler than hot, as hot seems to make the paint a bit softer. Also you might want to put some dry-time between sanding with 2000 and polishing.

When I polished up part of my red paint job, when I polished immediately after wetsanding the small test area, I got a haze. When I went to another part of the car, sanded with 2000, then came back the next day and polished, it polished really well. The difference could have been that it got to dry longer, AND/OR that I gave it some time to settle/dry after wetsanding it.

But doing both of those things should help, and couldn't hurt. That's my plan for my canvas white paint job too. 3 weeks of curing, wetsand with 2000, wait a day or two, then polish.

edit; another variable just came into mind between the first (hazy) and second (good) polish, so now I have NO IDEA what specifically helped me polish better the 2nd time around. The first time, I remember using the soft pad that came with my cheap coleman 6" random orbital buffer. The second time (successful time), I was using the one that's more like a cloth than a pad and seems to be harsher than the pad.

Hope this helps, sorry if it confuses! They are things to try, anyway.

Last edited by Exit1965; 07/27/06 12:53 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25245
07/27/06 08:44 AM
07/27/06 08:44 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Exit. I will try this weekend. I ws really impressed with how glossy it was just after drying, I was really looking forward to it being polished and even better... After I accomplish this succesful polish, I will try some tremclad clear and post pics sometimes. Thanks.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #25246
07/27/06 09:18 AM
07/27/06 09:18 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I was planning on getting it anyway to paint the house, but if you guys think it would work with Rustoleum for a car, then it would make my decision to buy it easier by knowing that I could use it for the car as well.

The only thing that I have seen on the topic of sprayers that relates to the topic of car painting with Rustoleum/Tremclad or Brightside is that it needs to be 'HVLP' - high volume low pressure.

I believe that the unit you are looking at would probably work with the paint thinned down to the appropriate level for spraying.

But as noted by one of the other spray testers here, I would keep a supply of handy rollers at your side throughout the spraying to level out all the runs that may ( probably will ) occur.

The key thing to keep in mind when considering spraying is the 'overspray' - where 30% of your paint/thinner mix gets blown into the air and lands just about everywhere except on the car body.

Once the paint is airborne it will mist your entire garage interior with a colorful glow that oddly matches the color you chose for your car body. Lawnmowers, garbage cans, the cats litter, your tool boxes... spare tires, etc all take on this mystic glow.

If you choose to spray 'outside' then expect the overspray to magically appear on anything within airborne radius of your spraying zone... squirrels, cats, grass, the driveway, the neighbors car, etc.

If you are already buying the unit anyhow... then I would say GO AHEAD and experiment with it. You just might get lucky and dial in on a knock out of a paint job. But definitely keep a roller handy to catch those runs or paint splotches that are almost certain to happen.

However, just remember the Charger explanation for the 'roller' paint job.... it was to minimize paint overspray and mess to the minimum.

To paraphrase the old military saying of ' If you got them... smoke them... "... I would say " If you have a sprayer at your disposal... give it a shot'. It can't do anything that a little sandpaper can't remove.

Overspray is one of the main reasons why the HVLP was invented it reduces it to almost nothing compared to a conventional production gun. I have a Devilbiss HVLP gun and I've painted with this and can confirm it has very low overspray. I'll put it this way the HVLP is so effective and has such low overspray that it only takes 3 quarters of a gallon to achieve what a conventional gun can achieve with 1 gallon (so that is a 25% reduction in wasted material).

Last edited by stage5; 07/27/06 09:22 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: darenrt] #25247
07/27/06 09:26 AM
07/27/06 09:26 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I have a sprayer much like the ones you guys are talking about, I love it painted my house in an hour
(after triming out the windows and such, that took two days) the nozzle it came with is for spraying latex house paint right out of the bucket.
A .017 I think but you can purchase as low as a.004 nozzle for spraying stain.
Just for fun I shot an old D50 truck bed and it looked real smooth!! truck was junk anyway and full of rust holes.
I really thought about using it years before reading any of this.
BEWARE!! it does shoot ALOT of paint at once. One pass coverage two passes and run city

I think the gun has the right size 1.7
For auto paint using a auto paint gun the sizes are as follows.
1.4-1.6 for bases and clear coats
1.9-2.2 for primer and heavy 2k primer.

so your 1.7 is close enough.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #25248
07/27/06 09:54 AM
07/27/06 09:54 AM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Rafael

i polish the day after the last coat, but allow overnight to dry, with fans on the car, that really helps. the fans go on the car about 4 hours after paint, after that it's dry enough to get dust on the paint, but not stick. the other thing i notice is that most people think they should get instant results with the polishing, and buff the hood for 5 mins, and expect a mirror shine. the reality is that the turtle wax polishing compound is about a 3000-3500 grit compound, very very fine compound, that's what allows you to buff on soft paint with no chance of burning, or over buffing, and it would take me about a hour (yes, 1 hour minimum) just to buff the hood. this is after wetsanding with 1000+ after the last coat. Also i ONLY use the bonnets that look like a rag, terry cloth bonnets i believe, using lots of compound and LOTS of water.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #25249
07/27/06 10:42 AM
07/27/06 10:42 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Rafael

i polish the day after the last coat, but allow overnight to dry, with fans on the car, that really helps. the fans go on the car about 4 hours after paint, after that it's dry enough to get dust on the paint, but not stick. the other thing i notice is that most people think they should get instant results with the polishing, and buff the hood for 5 mins, and expect a mirror shine. the reality is that the turtle wax polishing compound is about a 3000-3500 grit compound, very very fine compound, that's what allows you to buff on soft paint with no chance of burning, or over buffing, and it would take me about a hour (yes, 1 hour minimum) just to buff the hood. this is after wetsanding with 1000+ after the last coat. Also i ONLY use the bonnets that look like a rag, terry cloth bonnets i believe, using lots of compound and LOTS of water.

While the Turtle Wax compound is OK may I sugest meguiar's diamond cut 2.0 # 84. This is professional compound to be used after the paint. It needs to be applied with the PC or rotary.

Antoher thing is get a rotary with a compound pad. It will save you hours of hand work.

If you want to go by hand I may I reccomend Meguiar Color X (you can get this from the auto shop).

I understand some are using water and getting good resutls. I've used water in the past and it just kills my compound (jut my experience). Usually if you have a good compound and you are getting haze you did not work the product in all the way. You need to work it with several pases until if is almost dusting.

My polishing/wetsanding steps after the car has been painted are as follows:

Wet sand with 1200 grit on the Hitachi rotary on low speed (1-2).
2000 grit by hand wrapped on a sanding block.

1)Meguiars Diamond Cut 2.0 with Compounding pad (wool).

2)PB(Poor Boy) PB SSR 2.5 or 3 with PC (speed 4-5 or even 6) or rotary at speed 1-2 using Lake County Yellow or Orange foam cutting pad.

3)SSR 1 with PC (speed 4-5 or even 6) or rotary at speed 1-2 using Orange foam cutting pad.

4)SSR Sealer with carnuba with PC (speed 4-5 or even 6) or rotary at speed 1-2 and using the white polishing pad from Lake County.

5)PB Naty Paste wax by hand (and please don't try to take it off with the rotary at speed 6 = 3200RPM like the so call detailers do on new cars at dealerships, that's how you get holograms and marring).

Last edited by stage5; 07/27/06 10:50 AM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: roe] #25250
07/27/06 07:26 PM
07/27/06 07:26 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
My avatar is a self portrait!!
78D150CLUB  Offline

Ontario, Canada
I have to say I'm impressed with the roller results that i'm getting.
This is my truck as it was earlier this spring, and I hadn't planned to paint until next year, at least until I found this thread.
My kids named it Godzilla when I first got it a few years back. Big, green and ugly

2801153-dodge4.jpg (970 downloads)

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25251
07/27/06 07:29 PM
07/27/06 07:29 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
78D150CLUB  Offline

Ontario, Canada
This is how it looks as of this afternoon.

2801160-d23.jpg (1321 downloads)

I want to die like my Grampa, peacefully, in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25252
07/27/06 08:57 PM
07/27/06 08:57 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

This is how it looks as of this afternoon.

D150, I think that looks good-- but it's hard to tell with all the grainyness. Is that a cellphone cam or something? Maybe take the paint job savings and get a newer digicam.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25253
07/27/06 08:59 PM
07/27/06 08:59 PM
Ohio
P
pdqvsix Offline
pdqvsix  Offline
P

Ohio

The truck is looking good!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: pdqvsix] #25254
07/27/06 09:10 PM
07/27/06 09:10 PM
Ohio
P
pdqvsix Offline
pdqvsix  Offline
P

Ohio
I changed from gloss black to gloss white and have a few coats on the car now and it looks very good.

I can hardly wait to finish and be able to say i did it with a roller and rustoleum paint, when someone asks who painted it.

I'll never have another car with a bad paint job, this is just too easy.

Thanks again 69chargeryeehaa

Last edited by pdqvsix; 07/27/06 10:17 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #25255
07/27/06 09:11 PM
07/27/06 09:11 PM
Ontario, Canada
78D150CLUB Offline
78D150CLUB  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Actually, I think a cellphone would be better, maybe a would help. It's one I picked up cheap years ago so that if it got bumped, bruised or lost on a kid's school trip, it wouldn't be a great loss.
I've never gotten around to getting a good one yet.
Maybe I should think about it one day
sorry for the quality, but even grainy, it looks better than it did

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: pdqvsix] #25256
07/27/06 10:11 PM
07/27/06 10:11 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I changed from gloss black to gloss white and have a few coats on the car now and it looks very good.

I can hardly wait to finish and be able to say i did it with a roller and rustoleum paint, when someone asks who painted it.

I'll never have another car with a bad paint job, this is just too easy.

Thanks again Charger69yeehaa

your welcome

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 78D150CLUB] #25257
07/27/06 10:12 PM
07/27/06 10:12 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Actually, I think a cellphone would be better, maybe a would help. It's one I picked up cheap years ago so that if it got bumped, bruised or lost on a kid's school trip, it wouldn't be a great loss.
I've never gotten around to getting a good one yet.
Maybe I should think about it one day
sorry for the quality, but even grainy, it looks better than it did

at least now you won't be ashamed to drive it!!!! i think it looks a million times better, great job.

Page 40 of 159 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 158 159