07/07/18 11:07 PM
07/07/18 11:07 PM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

Something to think about, no more, no less...esp. on a moderate street/strip build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-29IWc-zrv8

Originally Posted By crabman173
They do not make more HP--they do not do a thing except make leak down test look great OK they do keep alky engines that just get the bores "slobbered" with excess fuel from diluting the oil so bad but on a normal engine you are crazy to spend all that extra money for nothing!!! Plain Crazy to do so
WHY?? I build hundreds of engines as fast as I can bolt them together --have for decades--and when I was near a dyno every day those rings proved NOTHING or we would be using them----Ok Mahle has a new 1.0mm, 1.0mm, 2.0 mm ring package that makes more HP --OK......That is IF you guys can get those rings in the bore without ruining a set then having to order another set at great cost and the so what?? You gain a few HP??? Who cares??? Use an old 1/6th. 3/16th package and it will run for decades and is easy to install and cheap and if you need 3-7HP that bad you have built the wrong combo to start with

The Mahle rings are very difficult to install correctly even for us that do it every day you have to PAY ATTENTION and a tapered ring funnel is a MUST the you have to watch the oil film up and down the bore to make sure you have not screwed one up--"sometimes" engine builders do not need that kind of obstacle at home so the Mahle package is not a positive IMO for average Joe at home It gives them a selling point OK? It gives the once in a while builder a Headache

Gapless rings are sold with BS Hype--that is mostly not true and you wind up paying $275 for a set of rings where a std set at $55 will do just fine

You run an alky drag engine say with a Hilborn or blower well then they help you save your oil for two or three more rounds --I run one I know that is a big plus but that is the best thing these rings do

Gapless rings make a leak down test look like a winner but at 8200 RPM they don't make one more HP IMO and based on dyno runs I saw for years in week after week testing

Snap out of it

Re: Toatal Seal Gapless rings, fact or fiction? [Re: Hemi ragtop] #2519171
07/08/18 02:52 PM
07/08/18 02:52 PM
Washington
W
weedburner Offline
weedburner  Offline
W

Washington
I was running a Super Stock spec gapless ring package with 12lb oil rings in a street/strip engine that got a lot of street miles. The engine was built to use nitrous, so I went gapless to seal up the wide nitrous ring gaps during casual driving. The car did not have overdrive, so down the hiway it spun about 2500-2800 and went thru a qt of 5w20 in about 50 miles. I added an electric vac pump to the crankcase which helped a lot with oil consumption by drawing 4-5"Hg, but at full voltage it also drew a lot of power and I had one fail under continuous duty due to overheating an internal connection. I added a voltage dropping resistor to help, but the electric pump's vacuum dropped to about 2"Hg.

Then I got the idea to use a pcv valve to help the electric pump. The pcv drew 15"Hg down the highway, so after a while I just started leaving the electric pump off and relying on the pcv alone for vacuum. Crankcase vacuum basically tracks manifold vacuum, as it trends downward under load conditions like going up a hill, upward under lite load like going down a hill. The car currently has a Racepak logger with a crankcase vacuum sensor to monitor the system, it's made many backroad 1/8mi passes with the electric pump turned off and has never went into a positive crankcase pressure situation yet with the gapless rings.

Another point of interest when using the sealed pcv system is that since crankcase vacuum reflects manifold vacuum drawn thru an orifice, any loss of seal is easy to spot and a lower than normal crankcase vacuum reading will draw your attention. The first engine I did this to was running hyper pistons on 87 octane pump gas that also got sprayed. I was able to catch several different cases of a cracked hyper before they came apart because I noticed a drop in crankcase vacuum. It's not often you get to see a cracked hyper before it explodes, but the sealed pcv setup is pretty good at catching them...

Using the hypers in that build was just my personal insanity, seeing how far I could go using pistons that I could buy for less than $100/set off ebay. Nothing quite like putting $700 worth of rings/spacers/filler/etc on a $100 set of pistons! I eventually got et down to 5.73 (357cid/2525lbs) in the 1/8th on 87 octane, still got 20mpg driving it to the track.

Grant

Re: Toatal Seal Gapless rings, fact or fiction? [Re: weedburner] #2519422
07/09/18 07:51 AM
07/09/18 07:51 AM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
That is very interesting! To do all that on 87 octane! Also interesting to see that the ring seal was good enough that a PVC would create manifold vacume

Re: Toatal Seal Gapless rings, fact or fiction? [Re: Hemi ragtop] #2519605
07/09/18 05:07 PM
07/09/18 05:07 PM
Maryland, USA
R
Raymond Offline
Raymond  Offline
R

Maryland, USA
I have a set of the advance profile
in my turbo small block.5 years
and absolutely no blow by.