M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By Little Detroit

that seems to be the problem ,here on Moparts,you cant get just get a straight answer to your question without getting everybody's opinion. I believe that most are generally wanting to help and others just want to see themselves as an expert and become vindicated by the dollar bill. it seems that most have lost track of it being about the passion of the memories and simplicity of years gone passed.
I for one understand that money is definitely an issue but not necessarily the only or most important issue.
IMO I think what you are asking is who is highly capable of doing the work without the word "restoration" in there name or reputation. I personally don't know of any shop near you , but I would think that any "small" ( 1 to 5 man shop) body shop can do the job correctly with your input on the detail you desire.
if you make an agreement to pay on a weekly or bi-weekly on an hourly basis with a weekly inspection that should stop it from being shoved in the corner for prioritized collision work.

6970GTX has answered the question at least twice

Wow, tough crowd.

I wonder what happened to the ' Save them all crowd' ?

Like I said. Talk to Holgar ( aka _ member sixpackbee )
I think he is more than capable to do what you want to do .

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: not_a_charger] #2512189
06/23/18 02:45 PM
06/23/18 02:45 PM
USA
G
Grizzly69 Offline
enthusiast
Grizzly69  Offline
enthusiast
G

USA
Originally Posted By not_a_charger
I'd like to get my wife's 64 Valiant convertible restored for her. Budget is around $40k, so I need someone who isn't exclusive to big $$ restos. Not looking for an OEM-spec resto, don't care about detailed underside, inspection marks, etc. It will need lots of metal work (rear floors, quarters, rear body panel, and straighten a poorly repaired rear collision), full interior, all weatherstripping, new top, rebuild the /6, freshen the trans and rear axle (the latter 2 work fine, but I can't see not going through them during the resto). I have almost all of the parts that would be needed, but for some of the sheetmetal and the new interior soft parts/weatherstripping.

Any suggestions? Would prefer to stay in the Northeast/Atlantic coast area, or the Midwest.

A friend of mine owns a shop and can help you.

https://www.erlingerrestorations.com/

He is in Arizona, but he also transports customer's cars all over the country.

Since he is in Arizona he has access to a vast supply of rust free parts.

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: not_a_charger] #2512461
06/24/18 07:16 AM
06/24/18 07:16 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Online mad OP
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Online Mad OP

Thank you for the info, everyone.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: Grizzly69] #2512498
06/24/18 10:55 AM
06/24/18 10:55 AM
KY
65pacecar Offline
master
65pacecar  Offline
master

KY
Originally Posted By Grizzly69
I'd like to get my wife's 64 Valiant convertible restored for her. Budget is around $40k, so I need someone who isn't exclusive to big $$ restos. Not looking for an OEM-spec resto, don't care about detailed underside, inspection marks, etc. It will need lots of metal work (rear floors, quarters, rear body panel, and straighten a poorly repaired rear collision), full interior, all weatherstripping, new top, rebuild the /6, freshen the trans and rear axle (the latter 2 work fine, but I can't see not going through them during the resto). I have almost all of the parts that would be needed, but for some of the sheetmetal and the new interior soft parts/weatherstripping.

Any suggestions? Would prefer to stay in the Northeast/Atlantic coast area, or the Midwest.

Did he relocate to The St Louis area for a while then
Move back out to Arizona and reopened his shop? If it is the same guy I am thinking he does outstanding work at a reasonable cost.

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: not_a_charger] #2512537
06/24/18 12:22 PM
06/24/18 12:22 PM
usa
S
smos001 Offline
smos001  Offline
S

usa
I think I know why your not getting the direct answer you want. Your asking for a complete restoration;paint,metalwork, bodywork, interior, weatherstripping and mechanical at a price that is just too low. The time required to do something like that is at least 600 hours of labor and the cost of the parts would add to that.
A good shop won't cut corners and put their name on it. You must sand down to metal, fix the rust, make the body solid and work from there. If you don't your waisting your money. You will have issues very soon down the road and you will be back where you started.

Everyone always says "I just want a driver".

The metal and bodywork is the same for a driver as show car. Are you not going to fix the rust? are you not going to straighten a fender? Are you not going to paint the car with good quality paint....
The diffrence in a show car or OEM correct is really the last 10 to 20 percent.
If you want a great shop that does it right and on time. call Precision Restorations in St Louis, 314-652-1966.
www.precisioncarrestoration.com

They are one of the largest shops in the country.

PM me if you want to chat about my experiences with restorations.
Regards,

Last edited by smos001; 06/24/18 12:25 PM.
Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: smos001] #2512628
06/24/18 03:12 PM
06/24/18 03:12 PM
not_a_charger Online mad OP
not_a_charger  Online Mad OP

Agree 100% about the bodywork. On this car especially, that's where the majority of the $$ will be.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: 65pacecar] #2512653
06/24/18 04:29 PM
06/24/18 04:29 PM
USA
G
Grizzly69 Offline
enthusiast
Grizzly69  Offline
enthusiast
G

USA
Originally Posted By 65pacecar
Originally Posted By Grizzly69

Did he relocate to The St Louis area for a while then
Move back out to Arizona and reopened his shop? If it is the same guy I am thinking he does outstanding work at a reasonable cost.

Yes, that's him.

He did the final body and paint on my Daytona.

(Pictures of my car are on his website posted above)

Awesome work.

My next project car WILL be going to him out in Arizona.

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: not_a_charger] #2513071
06/25/18 03:41 PM
06/25/18 03:41 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Tough request. Best bet is to find a semi-retired body shop pro who has his own home shop and likes Mopar cars. I know a couple of guys like that who knock out a few project cars a year for customers who pay cash. They get some nice cash flow to supplement the SS checks and customers get quality work done that they don't have the time to do themselves.

Best bet to find those guys is to ask around at car clubs or car shows. In my experience, anyone who has employees and is paying retail rental rates for a big shop downtown is going to need to charge more than you want to pay.

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: AndyF] #2513146
06/25/18 06:41 PM
06/25/18 06:41 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By AndyF
Tough request. Best bet is to find a semi-retired body shop pro who has his own home shop and likes Mopar cars. I know a couple of guys like that who knock out a few project cars a year for customers who pay cash. They get some nice cash flow to supplement the SS checks and customers get quality work done that they don't have the time to do themselves.

Best bet to find those guys is to ask around at car clubs or car shows. In my experience, anyone who has employees and is paying retail rental rates for a big shop downtown is going to need to charge more than you want to pay.

One of the pitfalls going this route is if they're operating with no license or insurance, and "whatever" might happen, the money you thought you might be saving, could be for nought...
I've know a few guys that went this route, some make out great, some not so good regardless of the "glowing recommendation" they got from other enthusiasts

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2513229
06/25/18 09:26 PM
06/25/18 09:26 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA

One of the pitfalls going this route is if they're operating with no license or insurance, and "whatever" might happen, the money you thought you might be saving, could be for nought...
I've know a few guys that went this route, some make out great, some not so good regardless of the "glowing recommendation" they got from other enthusiasts

Yep that's super risky

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: not_a_charger] #2514729
06/29/18 12:50 AM
06/29/18 12:50 AM
NE OHIO
K
kevin69bman Offline
master
kevin69bman  Offline
master
K

NE OHIO
Mike we need to talk

There is not a shop here in the US that will get that car done in a year maybe 2 yrs if your lucky

I now you want that car done but buying one done is a idea

I know what you are going threw Iam going though this with my 79 yr old dad he wants a 56 ford skyliner convertible to build like the one he had and he wont look at a car that's done for 30grand he almost spend 15 grand on one that had no top no interior and needed paint plus it needed all new brakes and suspension

He will do all the work him self and then pay to have it painted

I may no of a shop up by my dad that works only on 5 cars a year but I have never seen his work or talked to him only now what my dad has said about him and his work

Last edited by kevin69bman; 06/29/18 12:54 AM.
Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: not_a_charger] #2514753
06/29/18 01:49 AM
06/29/18 01:49 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Have you talked to Mike Ross about this? Just throwing that out there as he may know someone more local to you or someone that can do the job you're looking for. I still have a couple of photos of the car with the top down and you seat belting your kids in at Mike's place.......I'm sure you have a lot of great memories with the car and family so all the best getting that car restored.

MikeR

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: A12] #2514760
06/29/18 02:21 AM
06/29/18 02:21 AM
NE OHIO
K
kevin69bman Offline
master
kevin69bman  Offline
master
K

NE OHIO
I agree with talkin to Mike

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: not_a_charger] #2515080
06/29/18 09:30 PM
06/29/18 09:30 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I was out in the shop trying to install some reproduction parts today and it made me wonder how a resto shop could ever make any money. I haven't had a single restoration part come into my shop yet that was good enough to go down an assembly line. Everything I've received so far for my project has required some sort of finish work on my end. Since I'm just working on my own car at my own pace this isn't a huge deal, but if I was trying to build a customer car this would be a huge problem. If I was building a car for a customer I would need to double the price of everything just to cover my time in fixing the chinese garbage called reproduction parts.

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: AndyF] #2515239
06/30/18 11:49 AM
06/30/18 11:49 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
andy, i think you have just spoken volumes with that statement. as it seems there are only a few outfits that "make" items, and many more than that "sell" them, even paying more to think you may be getting a quality item is a crap shoot you won't have to work on said item to make it fit as it was intended. i sometimes even have to modify items i make for myself, following my own blueprints, in order to make "it" fit ! biggrin [i should know better, even when i'm the one in control]
beer

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: AndyF] #2517077
07/03/18 04:20 PM
07/03/18 04:20 PM
Nebraska
4406bbl Offline
top fuel
4406bbl  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
I was out in the shop trying to install some reproduction parts today and it made me wonder how a resto shop could ever make any money. I haven't had a single restoration part come into my shop yet that was good enough to go down an assembly line. Everything I've received so far for my project has required some sort of finish work on my end. Since I'm just working on my own car at my own pace this isn't a huge deal, but if I was trying to build a customer car this would be a huge problem. If I was building a car for a customer I would need to double the price of everything just to cover my time in fixing the chinese garbage called reproduction parts.

They make money by doubling the original price once the car is not rolling so it is a pain in the rear to move out of the shop. The shop I went to,in their defense, did mention all repro part fit repair time is on me up front, $50 an hour. Drip rails are a real problem, I modified my car so they go on and off without damage.

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: 4406bbl] #2518990
07/07/18 09:41 PM
07/07/18 09:41 PM
Montgomery, Alabama
RusTy/SE Offline
RusTy/SE  Offline

Montgomery, Alabama
I agree with the 12 month window, save for some extreme event, like a Zombie Apocalypse.

I also suggest http://hodgerestorations.com/

From personal experience, he will take the time to discuss all aspects with you up

Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: not_a_charger] #2536840
08/15/18 06:10 PM
08/15/18 06:10 PM
Tulsa, Oklahoma
C
Charger_440 Offline
super stock
Charger_440  Offline
super stock
C

Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm a car builder out of Tulsa, Oklahoma with my own business and a passion for Mopar. Vintage vehicles are all we do. I'll send you a p.m.
I even offer Moparts member discounts. Lol.

In a conversation with a Wyoming State Patrolman... "A 318 ??!!! But I clocked you at 142 mph!!!"
Re: Recommend a resto shop for my wife's 64? [Re: Charger_440] #2536858
08/15/18 07:00 PM
08/15/18 07:00 PM
Shelby, Ohio
2abodymcodes Offline
master
2abodymcodes  Offline
master

Shelby, Ohio
Mr.Bricks Restorations. They are in Green Camp, Ohio. Just south of Marion. Close enough you can check on it from time to time. They restore almost any brand but he is a Mopar guy. He even races Mopars. Owners name is Tony. They have a facebook page you can check them out. They do most everything in house as far as upholstery, convert tops, ect. Great bunch of guys. I think you will be impressed with them if you check them out.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3