07/05/06 09:18 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

As far as the Brightside marine paint goes...I found this guy on eBay selling red and blue quarts for $9.99 a quart on eBay. Is this the same stuff that Marq used?

http://search.stores.ebay.com/TheySoldIt...1781922QQsofpZ0

I am still trying to figure out how the guy on eBay is able to sell the Brightside soooooo cheap.

I can't believe there is like a 400% mark up on the paint at the stores... AND YET the guy has a very good track record with satisfied customers...

And his price on a six pack of cans is close to what I am paying for one can at our local marine supply store... go figure.

At less than $10 bucks a can for that eBay Brightside that would make the Brightside paint job more economical than the Tremclad paint job ( which go for $11 to $14 per can ).

Then again... when you add in the shipping and handling cost for the eBay Brightside that would bring it almost at par with the Tremclad / Rustoleum...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #24959
07/05/06 09:23 PM
07/05/06 09:23 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Doesn't that guy only have a few select colors (red and blue?). When I saw the low price I figured he somehow got a hold of a big load of red and blue stuff and is trying to get rid of it. If he can get the other colors, that's a different story.

Potential good news for anyone else using Rustoleum Canvas White, the good people at Krylon make a color in a spray can called "Ivory Gloss" for interior/exterior that matches Canvas White.

I bought a can of this (only 2.50 at Walmart), since I can't find canvas white in a spray can locally and online I can only buy it in a pack of 6... and put some on a test piece of sheet metal. It appears to be a perfect match and is VERY glossy. I am hoping that it sands and polishes OK (in case there's orange peel and other imperfections to tame) and that it can handle the heat of being under hood next to header pipes. If not I might have to go with a high temp paint of a different shade, maybe dark gray would look nice in there.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24960
07/05/06 10:06 PM
07/05/06 10:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok, got my first coat finished on my test piece. Let me know how the thinkness looks. The lighter spots were bare metal.

2746706-P1010001.JPG (762 downloads)
Last edited by FarFire70; 07/05/06 10:29 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #24961
07/05/06 10:24 PM
07/05/06 10:24 PM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
Marq,
First, your car is looking good in the pics you've posted. I really like it!

Secondly, Thanks for posting the link to the video on how to apply the perfection paint. That was interesting!

And lastly, when you first started talking about the Brightside paint you mentioned it susposed to last for up to 10 years. I'm wondering where you got this information. (The interlux website does not seem to have any technical data sheets with ASTM ratings for any of their paints)

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24962
07/05/06 10:30 PM
07/05/06 10:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another

2746765-P1010021.JPG (736 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24963
07/05/06 10:35 PM
07/05/06 10:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another.

2746786-P1010017.JPG (655 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24964
07/05/06 11:07 PM
07/05/06 11:07 PM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
69 Charger,

A long time ago you mentioned spraying automotive paint over the Tremclad. I'm wondering about spraying an automotive clear coat with hardener over the Rustoluem. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations on doing this?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all these questions! I've used this technique on some non-automotive applications and it WORKS!!

Last edited by QuickDodge; 07/05/06 11:23 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: QuickDodge] #24965
07/05/06 11:19 PM
07/05/06 11:19 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Marq,

And lastly, when you first started talking about the Brightside paint you mentioned it susposed to last for up to 10 years. I'm wondering where you got this information. (The interlux website does not seem to have any technical data sheets with ASTM ratings for any of their paints)

I picked up that average number from discussions going on the boat message boards. Folks were discussing the merits of the AWLGrip paint versus the Brightside and folks were piping in how long their finishes had held up in 'real world' usage.

Now the problem with boat guys... is that a speed boat in some warmer climate ( where it is summer all year round ) and some boat guy up in Canada where they might only have their boat in the water for 3 months of the year tends to distort their 'real world' experiences.

But the overall drift that you would have picked up from their discussions is that this paint job 'should' have 'at the minimum' the same life expectancy as a professionally applied paint job.

The other key factors for the long life expectancy of the Brightside is :

a ) it contains a UV protectant - to lessen fading over the years..

b ) it contains Teflon - to reduce or eliminate staining - or at the least make the clean up easier while protecting the paint by providing a Teflon surface that crap like bird poop and road tar can get a solid grip on etc.

I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to be bold enough to post any claims about the life expectancy of their product because there are just so many variables that could impact the long term viableness of a paint job. So all we can rely on are these 'old salts' who have applied the paint and had some long term experience with it on their boats.

About the lowest life expectancy that I saw quoted by some of these boaters was 'that they had to repaint after three years'. But as you read on in their message, they would mention that they had been banging the boat against the wharf, beaching the boat on to the sandy beaches and other such things that would help cut short the life expectancy of the best of paints

Last edited by Marq; 07/05/06 11:25 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24966
07/05/06 11:21 PM
07/05/06 11:21 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Wow Farfire that's a strange looking setup you have there.

But it looks good to me. I have the problem myself on the first coat of putting it on too thick, but that looks very thin and like it will dry flat. Is that hunter green?

That Krylon test piece I shot, it dried very un glossy. Back to a six pack of Rustoleum..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24967
07/06/06 07:08 AM
07/06/06 07:08 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Wow Farfire that's a strange looking setup you have there.

But it looks good to me. I have the problem myself on the first coat of putting it on too thick, but that looks very thin and like it will dry flat. Is that hunter green?

That Krylon test piece I shot, it dried very un glossy. Back to a six pack of Rustoleum..

Yea, I haven't collected any extra parts for my car so I'm using the fender off my buddy's 47 Jeep Willy. He's got it all apart and is going to repaint anyway. I noticed that I put it on a little uneven in a few spot but I'm getting there with the procedure.

When applying a coat I'm soaking up the paint pretty well into the roller in the paint tray but then working most of it off on the bumps in the tray till there is very little left. then I just apply a good amount of pressure and am getting a good thin coat. No bubbles from what I saw!!

That is the hunter green, much darker then my original color but I think it'll turn out pretty well. I'll keep you all post. Another coat goes on later tonight.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: QuickDodge] #24968
07/06/06 10:10 AM
07/06/06 10:10 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

69 Charger,

A long time ago you mentioned spraying automotive paint over the Tremclad. I'm wondering about spraying an automotive clear coat with hardener over the Rustoluem. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations on doing this?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all these questions! I've used this technique on some non-automotive applications and it WORKS!!

i've painted oh.....lets see, about 5 cars this way, and 2 of them later recieved a traditional paint job, mostly single stage, and the prep was just like any other paint job, and the paint went on great, and had no reactions with the tremclad, durability was the same as if done to bare metal, meaning the underlying tremclad was fine, that was on a 86 mustang GT, i owned that for about 5yrs, after my crx died. i painted it with tremclad, and drove it for about 3 yrs tremclad red, and then came into some extra $ and had it painted charcol silver metalic.

as for the clear coat, really the only one i would spray over would be the tremclad clear, thinned with laquir thinner, and that was my mistake when i tried the clear coat, and used mineral spirits, the same as the paint, and that kills the shine. i could see going from lets say 5-6 coats of tremclad, to final wetsand only (no polish), and go straight to clear coat either rollered or sprayed on, then just buff no wetsanding at all, since the stuff is really easy to put on with no peel. the clear coat paint in a liquid by tremclad is allready very thin, just about thin enough to roller on straight, just needs a splash of thinner, if i were to spray it, i would cut it down alot more with the laquir thinner, just so it goes like glass, and it would, i did a small test peice with laquir thinner, rollered it on, and it's just as good as any automotive clear for shine, and is made to be used over the tremclad.

Exit, i like the color your going with, that will look great when done.

also just a note, i see everyone saying to polish the paint 3 weeks after it's done minimum to polish the final, and really, with auto paints that's true, but i found with the tremclad/rustoleum stuff that it just needs 1 day in the sun, if that and a over night dry time, and using only the turtle wax polishing coumpound, because it's so non-aggressive, it's actually eaiser to cut/polish when it's still "soft", but this applies only to this paint, and not automotive single stage acrylic enamels/laquirs, ect.....don't ask me why, it just works. the turtle wax polishing coumpound i think is purposly geared to the consumer who does'nt have any polishing expirence and tries to polish, the equivelant grit of this polish appears to me to be about a 3000+grit polish, meaning it's a very gental polish that can't burn thru the paint, and that's what you want to use on still "soft" paint.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #24969
07/06/06 02:12 PM
07/06/06 02:12 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

As far as the Brightside marine paint goes...I found this guy on eBay selling red and blue quarts for $9.99 a quart on eBay. Is this the same stuff that Marq used?

http://search.stores.ebay.com/TheySoldIt...1781922QQsofpZ0

I am still trying to figure out how the guy on eBay is able to sell the Brightside soooooo cheap.

I can't believe there is like a 400% mark up on the paint at the stores... AND YET the guy has a very good track record with satisfied customers...

And his price on a six pack of cans is close to what I am paying for one can at our local marine supply store... go figure.

At less than $10 bucks a can for that eBay Brightside that would make the Brightside paint job more economical than the Tremclad paint job ( which go for $11 to $14 per can ).

Then again... when you add in the shipping and handling cost for the eBay Brightside that would bring it almost at par with the Tremclad / Rustoleum...

The guy who I mentioned in an earlier post about the red & blue Brightside I emailed him thru ebay & this is what he emailed me back..............................................

"Hi, I was wanting to find out if you can get this Brightside paint in other colors or is red & blue all you can get? Thanks, Litsa"

"Hi Litsa,
Sorry, the only colors we carry are the red and blue, but thank you for your interest in our auctions.
TheySoldIt"

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24970
07/06/06 05:52 PM
07/06/06 05:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

also just a note, i see everyone saying to polish the paint 3 weeks after it's done minimum to polish the final, and really, with auto paints that's true, but i found with the tremclad/rustoleum stuff that it just needs 1 day in the sun, if that and a over night dry time, and using only the turtle wax polishing coumpound, because it's so non-aggressive, it's actually eaiser to cut/polish when it's still "soft", but this applies only to this paint, and not automotive single stage acrylic enamels/laquirs, ect.....don't ask me why, it just works. the turtle wax polishing coumpound i think is purposly geared to the consumer who does'nt have any polishing expirence and tries to polish, the equivelant grit of this polish appears to me to be about a 3000+grit polish, meaning it's a very gental polish that can't burn thru the paint, and that's what you want to use on still "soft" paint.

I think I'll give this a try when I finish. I'll put it out in the sun for a day or two then go ahead an polish. I'll post my results and if all else fails, I'll just put on another coat, let that dry for a while and polish.

I'm just starting my test piece now but will be starting bodywork all day next friday and then the paintjob. I have two questions about the prep.

1) Do I need to do anything if I apply bondo since I heard people say that it retains water. also, how long should I wait after applying it before painting over it.

2) I found that a wirewheel takes down the paint real nice and since nearly my entire car is peeling, I want to get most of the car down to bare metal. I also have a lot of rust growing under paint so I want to expose that. Do you think I'll have must of an issue with doing this. I know that Charger has said repeatedly that this works well on bare metal but then I thought I read Charger saying that if you take most of the car down to metal, you should primer it. I really don't have the money to be dumping into primer right now with school starting around the corner.
Would I be all right if I took off most of the paint with the wirewheel, sanded with 320, whipped off the dust with a cloth, whip down with mineral spirits, paint the first THIN coat?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24971
07/06/06 06:25 PM
07/06/06 06:25 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
You can paint over bondo by the time it's sanded and worked. When you're done working it (assuming you've used 80 grit then maybe 180 then maybe 240 or 320) it should be ready to paint. It does suck up the paint a little bit. I fixed some dents on my roof before starting with the canvas white, and after 4 coats it's still a slightly different surface where the bondo is.

I didn't have much rust so I can't help you there.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24972
07/06/06 06:54 PM
07/06/06 06:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

In regards to the ebay Brightside vendor I emailed and asked how old the paint was to which they replied (summarized)

"we do not know how old the paint is. We have no way of deciphering the code. We have not received any complaints so far however"

Interlux states the paint is good for 2 years, so my concern is that they are able to sell it so cheaply because they got an old batch.

Maybe not, but it is also a possibly that it is.

My .02

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24973
07/06/06 07:07 PM
07/06/06 07:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The car we are working on had tons of rust (we had to replace a fender and do a lot of fiberglassing and bondo). We didn't prep anything over the bondo, painted right on top of it (I wasn't there for that coat but was advised this). It comes out pretty decent, we didnt get it perfectly shapped to the wheelwell, but it looks 1000x better then it did before.

As for bare metal and primering I don't think so. We had some spots of rust here and there and we took it all the way down and it was fine, I believe thats the good part of this paint. Since it is a rust resistant paint I don't believe you need to primer, unlike other paints which you may need to primer before applying.

I have little knowledge on painting cars, but this is pretty much what we have done and the car looks so much better then it did before (2 wheelwells rusted, multiple holes because of rust, replaced a whole fender that was rusted up..etc).

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24974
07/06/06 09:11 PM
07/06/06 09:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Some thoughts about softness:

I put another coat of paint on my hood last night, using exit's advice. It worked out really well, the paint went on evenly and there were few bubbles.

I came back 18 hours later, and I noticed I had gone over the edge of my hood in some spots. When I tried to pick off the 'overroll' with my fingernail, it came off real easy. When I tried the same thing on the hood, I could barely scratch it with my fingernail. The thickness of the coat seems to have a lot to do with it, the thicker the 'overroll' was, the easier it was to pick off.

So in conclusion - if your paint is soft, you've either been slacking with the prep work or putting on coats that are way too thick.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24975
07/06/06 10:45 PM
07/06/06 10:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, did my second coat and everything seems to be going well. I've posted my pictures in my webshots:

Webshots

I like how the paint is sitting down on the bare metal, seems to be going well. There seems to be some orange peel going on but I'm hoping the wetsanding tomorrow night will take care of most of that. I read earlier on that people we looking at other car's factory paint and seeming orange peel so I decided to look around. It's amazing how badly the orange peel is on brand new cars. I'd really like to get it to sit down flat but a little here and there will be nothing compared to those cars. I wonder how much sanding those cars go through... my money's on little to none.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24976
07/06/06 11:12 PM
07/06/06 11:12 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Well, did my second coat and everything seems to be going well. I've posted my pictures in my webshots:

Webshots

I like how the paint is sitting down on the bare metal, seems to be going well. There seems to be some orange peel going on but I'm hoping the wetsanding tomorrow night will take care of most of that. I read earlier on that people we looking at other car's factory paint and seeming orange peel so I decided to look around. It's amazing how badly the orange peel is on brand new cars. I'd really like to get it to sit down flat but a little here and there will be nothing compared to those cars. I wonder how much sanding those cars go through... my money's on little to none.

That's looking very good. Yes, the wetsanding will get rid of the orange peel completely. You'll be able to see the water laying flat on the surface after you go over it with the sandpaper.

And when you've done your last coat and wetsand with 2000 grit then polish and wax, it will be nice and smooth.

Speaking of wax, I know we talked about Turtle Wax ice before, but has anyone here tried Meguiar's NXT paste? Over on autotopia, the guys there seem to prefer that for durability, though they do admit the Ice goes on easier.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24977
07/07/06 08:53 AM
07/07/06 08:53 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

if your going to use bondo, i suggest after you bondo and even after its dry. wait like at least 3 days before putting paint over it...i waited 2 days i believe and its dry and all but its not fully cured (wrong word)? so after i painted it..id say down the road i noticed some slight lump on the bondo area where it wasnt before. so the bondo actually expanded and finally did its cure. maybe its the cheap bondo...its the grey and red hardner. you should try the gold or yellow one. those sand easier and lighter, its better, and cures faster.

as for me im just sticking to it out of bondo and out of sand paper. and your average peeps cant tell.lol last coat right now and im done! cant wait till the buffing part!

Last edited by Cal96; 07/07/06 08:55 AM.
Page 26 of 159 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 158 159