07/04/06 12:58 AM
07/04/06 12:58 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Senna - I have done some painting now in various temperatures. Have you tried just thinning the paint more than normal to make up for the extra heat?

The reason I ask is that I never have any bubbles hanging around as long as I'm putting on thin coats of a thin mixture. I've painted a few times at 95 degrees and a few times around 75 and 80 degrees, never bubbles when it goes on thin.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24939
07/04/06 01:09 AM
07/04/06 01:09 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Sottilde- you should definately be getting more shine. Try thinning the mixture more and pushing down on the roller firmly when applying it, to be sure you're getting a thin, even coat. There shouldn't be any runs or bubbles and shouldn't be much of any orange peel, and there should be a good shine when it goes on thin.

e.g. this is after a thin coat:

There is probably a tradeoff in time between putting on thick orange peely coats with bubbles, and putting on potentially 2+ more thin coats of the thinner stuff, but I am on the "thin coat" side of the fence since I hate wetsanding and cleaning up the mess.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24940
07/04/06 02:12 AM
07/04/06 02:12 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

There's alot of information in this thread. I haven't been able to read through the entire thread but am worried about missing some vital piece of info before attempting this myself. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this boat.

Has anyone started organizing all this info into a wiki? website? if not please let me know and I'll get it started.

-- Aaron

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24941
07/04/06 03:39 AM
07/04/06 03:39 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For those that are completely done, What methods did you use to clean up the little paint mistakes like getting some on window trim, window glass, etc?

I am about 2 coats away from being done with the 2-tone paintjob and my windows have some paints drips and the black trim has some paint that managed to get through the tape.

I wanna be careful not to damage the paint on the panels though.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24942
07/04/06 04:05 AM
07/04/06 04:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you got paint on moldings or the window etc, take paint thinner or paint remover and dab it on a small cloth and rub it out. If you get it on glass you use a razor blade and scrap it out.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24943
07/04/06 10:30 AM
07/04/06 10:30 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Looking great Exit. I'm about to start with my test peice hopefully later today. I still need to go find plain mineral spirits. when you are applying the thin coats, what consistence would you say you're using? I've heard everything from water (the original suggestion) to 2% milk to creamer. I would think you're at about water if you're going really thin but I'm interested in what you're doing because I really like your results and am about to start.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24944
07/04/06 11:27 AM
07/04/06 11:27 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Here's a movie showing the consistency I'm using. It's in quicktime format. Next time I paint (tonight maybe) I'll get some video of it going into the tray, and some rolling. The mixture is only part of it, I think as important is that the roller is applied firmly (otherwise barely any paint will come out) with very little paint on it, leaving a smooth wet surface behind.

http://rochaneering.com/Documents/consistency.mov

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24945
07/04/06 02:04 PM
07/04/06 02:04 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

There's alot of information in this thread. I haven't been able to read through the entire thread but am worried about missing some vital piece of info before attempting this myself. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this boat.

Has anyone started organizing all this info into a wiki? website? if not please let me know and I'll get it started.

-- Aaron

Here you go.
$50 Paint Job Edited and Condenced

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24946
07/04/06 02:55 PM
07/04/06 02:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Here's a movie showing the consistency I'm using. It's in quicktime format. Next time I paint (tonight maybe) I'll get some video of it going into the tray, and some rolling. The mixture is only part of it, I think as important is that the roller is applied firmly (otherwise barely any paint will come out) with very little paint on it, leaving a smooth wet surface behind.

That's a great video. Definatley helps. Do you make a batch in that jar one layer at a time or fill the jar then us it for a few layers? I'm going to have to find myself something good and air-tight to use for mixing.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24947
07/04/06 03:02 PM
07/04/06 03:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I stumbled across this thread from fordification.com last week and have read it all. I am totally amazed at your results. But I do have a couple of questions. I understand how to thin and apply the paint. My question is which paint to use. Some used "stops Rust" rustoleum, others used the "Professional" series of rustoleum, some even had rustoleum tinted to a color of their choice others used Brightside and I am sure I missed some others.

I saw that exit1965 had problems with the standard rustoleum hardning up. Did others have the same problem? I am ready to go get the paint but I dont know if the standard rustoleum is as good as the professional or not. I know that there are different colors availiable in the standard rustoleum.

I would appreciate it if ya'll would chime in on the type of paint you found to be better. Thanks a million guys. I am finishing up the bodywork today and will begin my $50 paint job as soon as as I figure out what type of paint to buy.

Rob

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24948
07/04/06 04:47 PM
07/04/06 04:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I stumbled across this thread from fordification.com last week and have read it all. I am totally amazed at your results. But I do have a couple of questions. I understand how to thin and apply the paint. My question is which paint to use. Some used "stops Rust" rustoleum, others used the "Professional" series of rustoleum, some even had rustoleum tinted to a color of their choice others used Brightside and I am sure I missed some others.

I saw that exit1965 had problems with the standard rustoleum hardning up. Did others have the same problem? I am ready to go get the paint but I dont know if the standard rustoleum is as good as the professional or not. I know that there are different colors availiable in the standard rustoleum.

I would appreciate it if ya'll would chime in on the type of paint you found to be better. Thanks a million guys. I am finishing up the bodywork today and will begin my $50 paint job as soon as as I figure out what type of paint to buy.

Rob

im using the stop rust rustoleum quart size and i have no problems with hardening whatsoever. not to mention my "thin coats" are probably thicker then pple who roll ( just from looking at these pictures). best thing is thin application and let it bake in the sun. my car sits outside where i paint it and the car cures faster then my side mirrors..which is in the garage. good luck with your project!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24949
07/04/06 04:52 PM
07/04/06 04:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Looking great Exit. I'm about to start with my test peice hopefully later today. I still need to go find plain mineral spirits. when you are applying the thin coats, what consistence would you say you're using? I've heard everything from water (the original suggestion) to 2% milk to creamer. I would think you're at about water if you're going really thin but I'm interested in what you're doing because I really like your results and am about to start.

i think im the only one using non 100% mineral spirit...and have no problem at all. im using the one from homedepo thats for thinning and it contains mineral sprits. $4 a container, i bought 2. good luck.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24950
07/04/06 04:57 PM
07/04/06 04:57 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

That's a great video. Definatley helps. Do you make a batch in that jar one layer at a time or fill the jar then us it for a few layers? I'm going to have to find myself something good and air-tight to use for mixing.

I bought some mason jars for it, I use the same jar to hold the paint throughout weeks of painting. When it gets to under 1/2 full of the mixture, I add more paint and mineral spirits so that it's 75-90% full. Seems to work well.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24951
07/04/06 08:02 PM
07/04/06 08:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Senna - I have done some painting now in various temperatures. Have you tried just thinning the paint more than normal to make up for the extra heat?

The reason I ask is that I never have any bubbles hanging around as long as I'm putting on thin coats of a thin mixture. I've painted a few times at 95 degrees and a few times around 75 and 80 degrees, never bubbles when it goes on thin.

The one coat I did was at 15% and was likely too thick. It was OK earlier in the week when it wasn't as hot and humid. The one I did last night was at 30% and went on very smooth but was a little runny. I think there is a fine line between too thick and too thin. Too thick and you get bubbles, too thin and you get the runs.

The advice to thin the paint to a milk consistency bothers me because of my experience airbrushing. That's how I thin paint for spraying and to try and roll paint that thin I think is asking for trouble. Also not to measure your paint/thinner ratio and to go by eye every time is a mistake too in my book. You've got a much better chance of finding and fixing mistakes if you know exactly what you've done before.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24952
07/05/06 06:34 AM
07/05/06 06:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I used non 100% mineral spirits also. It did indeed work just fine. I think the original problems with it were people were just putting it on way too thick.

I've now switched to brightside as I liked the color better.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24953
07/05/06 11:56 AM
07/05/06 11:56 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Is anyone else painting in a high-humidity + high temperature environment? I'm always getting bubbles and thinning the paint out more doesn't seem to do anything. I'm using 100% Mineral Spirits with Navy Gloss Stops Rust paint.

Quote:

I wrote up this guide for myself before I started painting, I'm attaching it as a PDF. I'll add more information as I continue with my own paintjob.

2745445-CheapPaintjob.pdf (978 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24954
07/05/06 12:43 PM
07/05/06 12:43 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Part of it is the thinning, part of it is putting it on thin. If the roller has little paint in it and exists uniformly within the roller, you should be fine.

A couple times when I'm painting, some paint from the inside of the roller seems to come from the top and as I'm smoothing out an area, it leaves a small trail of paint which includes bubbles. I then have to go over it a few times to spread out that trail/streak. But if I concentrate on getting as much paint out of the roller (within reason) before rolling, everything's fine and no bubbles.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24955
07/05/06 02:09 PM
07/05/06 02:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Been watching this thread for a while...this has blown up so big, it's amazing. Great job charger.

As far as the Brightside marine paint goes...I found this guy on eBay selling red and blue quarts for $9.99 a quart on eBay. Is this the same stuff that Marq used?

http://search.stores.ebay.com/TheySoldIt...1781922QQsofpZ0

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24956
07/05/06 06:11 PM
07/05/06 06:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Fourth coat. Lots of touch ups needed. Bumpers were sprayed using Tremclad cans. Planning on white racing stripes down the middle of the car.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24957
07/05/06 08:49 PM
07/05/06 08:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This Brightside paint is starting to interest me it may cost more for the paint but you still do it your self and is still far from a $3,000.00 plus paint job.
I should be in paint mode hopefully by fall and am considering the "brightside way" with a two part roller primer- filler base coat.Dropped by my local marine supply store today and scored a color chart {see attached} it is $38.99 a quart up here still afordable for a do it your selfer I think.

2746485-IMG_6991.JPG (550 downloads)
Page 25 of 159 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 158 159