Chicago, IL
P
PLUM_72 Offline OP
pro stock
PLUM_72  Offline OP
pro stock
P

Chicago, IL
What's everyone's thoughts on the QA1 Stocker Star non-adjustable shocks? They have these as part of a QA1 level one handling kit. The kit has the QA1 UCA's, these shocks, QA1 strut rods, HD tie rod sleeves and the UCA eccentric bolts. The kit runs about a grand at Summit. If these shocks are decent the kit might be a good deal. Thoughts?

Im not looking for my Challenger to be a competitive canyon carver. I rebuilt the front end 20 years ago in a relative stock manner. With the increased availability of new components, I'd like to improve the handling to better compare to a newer car of today.

1972 Dodge Challenger
Re: QA1 Stocker Star NA Shocks [Re: PLUM_72] #2490379
05/01/18 12:32 PM
05/01/18 12:32 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
Plum-72: If you're only looking for slight improvements, then any good shock will help.. you pay for what you get. I'd rather get double-adjustable shocks (consider the Vikings as they are less expensive and also originated from the QA1 designs).

Then, for better steering response, the upper control arms should be replaced by aftermarket types (QA1, Firm Feel, others) as they all offer the additional extra positive caster that the factory OE design never did offer. Or else, simply install the Moog Problem Solver offset UCA bushings (install them reversed)... that will get you more positive caster and some negative camber. but, as long as you'd have the UCAs out already, may as well just install new aftermarket types. the various adjustable UCAs are great for fine-tuning the front end, where as the non-adjustable only give you a pre-designed amount of adjustment (still much better than stock).

The QA1 struts and sleeves are your option.

Also, consider larger torsion bars to help reduce excessive lift and dive... you'll be amazed at the difference slight increases make. The increased stiffness of the TBs are truly not very harsh. A 1.12 is a good TB bar for great improvement.

Question: What is your car, engine, etc?

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!