06/23/06 10:43 PM
06/23/06 10:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just a quick update on my painting progress.

The front quarter panel after the fifth coat....

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24799
06/24/06 08:16 AM
06/24/06 08:16 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

wow! nice shine! mines only look like that if i pour water on top of it

when you guys start water sanding...doesnt the color come off too? whatever happen to the gloss

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24800
06/24/06 09:40 AM
06/24/06 09:40 AM
Ohio
P
pdqvsix Offline
pdqvsix  Offline
P

Ohio
Aussie Driver,
That shine looks great!

Do you have any more pictures of the whole car?

You did paint it black,right?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24801
06/24/06 09:45 AM
06/24/06 09:45 AM
Alexandria,La.
B
BigTerry Offline
master
BigTerry  Offline
master
B

Alexandria,La.
MAN that a nasty hole in your right leg....

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: BigTerry] #24802
06/24/06 10:19 AM
06/24/06 10:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

MAN that a nasty hole in your right leg....

PPAHAHHAH! good one

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24803
06/24/06 12:18 PM
06/24/06 12:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'd like to share my observations-

1) This does work...it's not the greatest paint job in the world ande it does have some limitations, but it does work.

2) I thinned at 40% mineral spirits (measured) that worked well for me.

3) The less paint, the less problems. Keep the coats very thin. Push all the paint out of the roller then apply. Orange peel will be greatly reduced.

4) Bubbles will happen, don't panic. Get the area you are tying to paint covered, then wait 40-60 seconds, most bubbles will be gone. Then very lightly go over it with just the weight of the roller to smooth everything out.

5) I would suggest just one coat a day to allow the paint to dry in the sun in between coats.

6) If you lay the paint on smooth, then you don't have to wet sand as much...I just very lightly wet sanded. 2 coats 600, 2 coats 600, 2 coats 600, 1 coat 2000.

7) If you don't have one but a buffer. I got a 6 inch buffer from Harbor Freight for 13 bucks and it made all the difference in the world.

8) The Turtle Wax Polishing Compound works wonders. Take your time, lots of buffing.

9) Each color is a bit different. I used a test fender and tried Gloss Black, Sail Blue, Regal Red and Smoke Gray. All of the "Stops Rust" variety.

10) All turned out well, but here are some thoughts. The Smoke Gray and Sail Blue hid imperfections better than Regal Red and Gloss Black. Regal Red will take more than 7 coats to cover (this has been talked about already) Gloss Black can be done, but it has a very small margin for error.

11) I think I will end up doing gloss White or the Light Gray color.

Here is the fender I worked with. I got it for free, it was in bad shape (high and low spots) and my kids have been playing with it, but it will give you an idea.

I'm going to paint a 92 sentra with my son and I'll post pics once its complete.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24804
06/24/06 12:54 PM
06/24/06 12:54 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Cool work, that actually looks like an interesting color combo. I still think the gray looks just like primer though.. the color on the can is much darker.

Here's a guy who mixed smoke gray with 1/2 pint of black and got the actual color that's on the can label. looks really nice to me but i think this would show imperfections pretty well.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1555133&page=23

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24805
06/24/06 06:08 PM
06/24/06 06:08 PM
Ohio
P
pdqvsix Offline
pdqvsix  Offline
P

Ohio
Well i'm waiting for my final body filler to dry.

So i decided to practice mixing the paint and test the roller technique on the rear spoiler.

I was very impressed with the results with this just being the first time doing it. The paint went on smoothly with some bubbles and orange peel but leveled out after just a few minutes after running the roller back over it after waiting a couple of minutes. If the whole car comes out that nice it will be well worth all the preparations and effort.

I had the passenger door replaced and painted by a professional painter who used an air compressor and high dollar paint gun about 3 years ago, and the paint i just applied with the roller so far looks a lot better then what he did. I can't wait to apply a second coat and then do the wet sanding, then see the results.

I will be taking my time while doing the painting just as i have with doing the body repairs.

I will wait a full day between coats.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24806
06/24/06 10:08 PM
06/24/06 10:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I registered over at that Honda forum after waiting like a week for the guy named Rev210k to post more pictures. Finally I registered so I could PM him, but the stupid forum is setup so I have to wait 5 days before I can really do anything.

If anybody is already registered over there, could you get him over here with more pictures? I really want to see more pics of how he is doing with the blue and that wagner gun.

Thanks!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24807
06/25/06 10:00 PM
06/25/06 10:00 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I'd like to share my observations-

9) Each color is a bit different. I used a test fender and tried Gloss Black, Sail Blue, Regal Red and Smoke Gray. All of the "Stops Rust" variety.

10) All turned out well, but here are some thoughts. The Smoke Gray and Sail Blue hid imperfections better than Regal Red and Gloss Black. Regal Red will take more than 7 coats to cover (this has been talked about already) Gloss Black can be done, but it has a very small margin for error.

I am glad that you did this side by side comparision. It pretty well confirms what I have suspected about the Fire Red paint. It is probably the hardest to work with because it has the weakest color pigment of the color range. It probably takes two or three times more coats to effectively lay it down and get full coverage.

Black may reveal imperfections in the bodywork... but at least it provides faster coverage in less coats than the Fire Red.

I am on my sixth coat of the Fire Red and at this point I figure I will probably need at least 2 more coats to finally provide 100% coverage of my car so that you can no longer see the white of the fiberglass or the black of the primer that lays below it.

Fire Red is a sharp color but possibly it should only be attempted by those who have the maximum of patience and plenty of time to spare on their project car.

I like how it is turning out... but I was thinking wispfully the other day how much simpler life would have been if I had gone with straight high-gloss black or Arctic White ( Glacier White ) - in order to get the benefit of quicker coverage.

Just thought I would share this thought so that anyone considering Fire Red might be forewarned

Fire Red needs MORE pigments ( solids ).

Last edited by Marq; 06/25/06 10:03 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24808
06/25/06 11:28 PM
06/25/06 11:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

2nd coat...no water sanding yet. and [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] them bugs

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_....0&MID=9876 BUFFER! $20...

Last edited by Cal96; 06/25/06 11:33 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24809
06/25/06 11:58 PM
06/25/06 11:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

i agree, exit, are you sure your not just seeing it worse than it really is? bacause your starring at it up close, and know every flaw on your paint??? try getting the wife to have a look at it, they're really good at pointing out everything wrong, espically when it's your hobby car!!!!! i'd stick with the red, it looks killer on that car. also when you pull it into the sun, it's a whole different story, trust me, even on my newer cars with BC/CC, you see flaws in the paint in the garage.

how does this paint maintain shine if nothing is done to it? thinking of just finishing the red job and leaving it and not doing any sanding or polishing on it since it seems to look good like that. eventually it will probably need to be at least polished though right?

hey exit. hope ur not to stressed...i actually tried somethign in ur situation. it seems wiht red if u wetsand with 1500 and polish it doesnt give that "dull" look but if u do it with 2000 and polish it does. its weird i cant explain it...but try it on a different pannel (spare) and see if thats how it turns out. good luck

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24810
06/26/06 01:50 AM
06/26/06 01:50 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exit, how slow are you going when you are painting? I have 3 coats on and have tried a few different speeds but I get a ton of bubbles (98% pop on their own) but I am still getting noticeable orange peel.

Also, I know people have said to wait a day to paint but I dont have the luxury of time. Right now I have been putting the car out in the sun for a few hours in 80 degree weather and trying to get another layer of paint on in 7 hours.

I can run my fingernail over it and all it does is a light scratch BUT if I really try, I can scratch it fairly deep.

The question is, Although you could say its soft, would putting another coat on hurt it in the end? Should I have some beers and wake up the next day on the floor?

I am wondering on the tolerance of having paint layers.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24811
06/26/06 04:21 AM
06/26/06 04:21 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Also, how are you guys getting good results with the foam brushes? I am using the ones in the posted pic and when I go over a body panel with it, it usually leaves lines (streaks of paint) and is not really uniform. I have been using them then rolling over the area with the roller but I have a front bumper with an intricate mesh pattern that no roller could get near.

HELP!

2724534-foam_roller.jpg (369 downloads)
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24812
06/26/06 06:05 AM
06/26/06 06:05 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

^prior to your painting, are you whiping it down with mineral spirit? its to clean unwanted chemicals. also make the paint like milky, a tad thicker. hope that helps.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24813
06/26/06 08:05 AM
06/26/06 08:05 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Exit, how slow are you going when you are painting? I have 3 coats on and have tried a few different speeds but I get a ton of bubbles (98% pop on their own) but I am still getting noticeable orange peel.

Also, I know people have said to wait a day to paint but I dont have the luxury of time. Right now I have been putting the car out in the sun for a few hours in 80 degree weather and trying to get another layer of paint on in 7 hours.

I can run my fingernail over it and all it does is a light scratch BUT if I really try, I can scratch it fairly deep.

The question is, Although you could say its soft, would putting another coat on hurt it in the end? Should I have some beers and wake up the next day on the floor?

I am wondering on the tolerance of having paint layers.

Ok... first off.... by putting the paint out in the 'sun to bake'... you may be speeding up the curing of the paint to a point where it is hardening on the surface ( forming a skin ) rather than evaporating the mineral spirits from the inside out. In essence you are trapping the mineral spirits BELOW the skin and it cannot easily escape. This will keep the paint soft and not reach the hardened state that you really want in order for this to succeed.

I don't think you need to worry about the orange peel unless it is REALLY PRONOUCED. This orange peel that you are experiencing is probably also related to your rushing the job and trying to bake things in the sun to speed up the process. Normally the orangepeel ( in any paint job - whether professdional or econo ) is related to there not being enough mineral spirit. The paint needs the 'right amount' of mineral spirit in order to keep the paint 'wet' while it tries to self-level. Too little mineral spirit causes the paint to attract to itself rather than to the surface below that you are trying to adhere to. So by trying to speed up the evaporation of the mineral spirit you are not only getting the orange peel... but as well you are hurting the ability of the paint to get a good adhesion on the surface you are painting.

The only good news is that you can wet sand down the orange peel to regain a level surface to paint the next layers on to. In a the case of a more horrible orange peel you can resort to a more agressive sand paper grit in order to regain a level surface.

The moral to this story is that you really cannot rush this paint job...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Marq] #24814
06/26/06 08:20 AM
06/26/06 08:20 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Agree with above by Marq. I didn't wait long enough between coats, thought hot Fla sun would compensate, but at the 4th coat started to have problems, especially on hood, top and trunk (sides weren't too bad), even noticeable rollermarks. Going to sand and redo, taking more time.

As far as foam brush, I had to dab or stab tight spots with the point of it, couldn't really use as a brush. Surprisingly, those are some of the better looking spots on my car.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24815
06/26/06 09:17 AM
06/26/06 09:17 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Also, how are you guys getting good results with the foam brushes? I am using the ones in the posted pic and when I go over a body panel with it, it usually leaves lines (streaks of paint) and is not really uniform. I have been using them then rolling over the area with the roller but I have a front bumper with an intricate mesh pattern that no roller could get near.

HELP!

Your not supposed to use the foam brush on the body panels; use a high density foam roller. The foam brush is used to get into hard to reach places, then lightly roll over with the roller if you can reach.

Hope this helps,
Smite

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24816
06/26/06 12:24 PM
06/26/06 12:24 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hmm. ok I will give it a good sand to not only level the paint but to also see how tack the paint ins underneith.

I am only using the foam brush for areas like under the door handle and in tight places on the front bumper. But that is the type of brush you guys are using right?

I am coming to facts that it will take more time to do this than I planned. It's looking pretty good after the 3 coats though. I'll get pics up as soon as I get my camera back from a buddy.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24817
06/26/06 03:39 PM
06/26/06 03:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

also if anyone is spraying this paint thin it out just like water and when ur spraying the coats should "glisten" and u should be able to see ur reflection...

Page 18 of 159 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 158 159