03/27/18 09:37 PM
03/27/18 09:37 PM
Mt Morris Michigan
mopar dave Offline OP
master
mopar dave  Offline OP
master

Mt Morris Michigan
Just surfing and found an old thread on IFR tuning where jmark made a comment that using smaller ifr and iab causes t slot to stay in longer. He suggested .039 ifr with .070 iab starting point on a dominator . anyone here able to explain why the t slot would stay in longer before cut out when using smaller ifr/iab? Thanks

Re: IFR IAB T slot. Question [Re: mopar dave] #2473282
03/28/18 12:57 PM
03/28/18 12:57 PM
Mt Morris Michigan
mopar dave Offline OP
master
mopar dave  Offline OP
master

Mt Morris Michigan
Well, maybe Mark will reply to this. Just seems like using a smaller IFR would limit the fuel to the T slot shutting off sooner being that the Ifr is up stream of the T slot. Can't quite get my head around this.

Re: IFR IAB T slot. Question [Re: mopar dave] #2473294
03/28/18 01:18 PM
03/28/18 01:18 PM
central texas
K
krautrock Offline
top fuel
krautrock  Offline
top fuel
K

central texas
google search, there are a lot of old speedtalk, yellowbullet and tapatalk threads that discuss all this stuff.

Re: IFR IAB T slot. Question [Re: krautrock] #2473340
03/28/18 02:59 PM
03/28/18 02:59 PM
Mt Morris Michigan
mopar dave Offline OP
master
mopar dave  Offline OP
master

Mt Morris Michigan
Thats where i found that at. Thought i would ask here thinking maybe Mark would see it as well.

Re: IFR IAB T slot. Question [Re: mopar dave] #2473375
03/28/18 04:12 PM
03/28/18 04:12 PM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
See if these snips and links help. It seems like many including Mark are busy the past few weeks.

jmarkaudio Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:25 pm " Idle Circuit Function"
Smaller idle jet/bleed will provide fuel farther in the throttle opening than a larger jet/bleed combination that provides roughly the same amount of fuel. This is needed when running two carbs, as the throttle has to open farther before the boosters start given a single carb the same size. Timing plays into all of this, giving it more at lower speeds/loads will help a little.

tbarb
Post Re: Idle circuit function
What you have done is keep the A/F ratio approx the same but extended it up further into the RPM range.

jmarkaudio
Post Re: Idle circuit function
The smaller bleed will maintain a signal at a larger throttle opening than the larger bleed, hence the name air bleed. Larger bleed bleeds the signal sooner.

also
"BLP carb Shootout"

Last edited by Mattax; 03/28/18 04:14 PM.
Re: IFR IAB T slot. Question [Re: Mattax] #2473397
03/28/18 05:06 PM
03/28/18 05:06 PM
central texas
K
krautrock Offline
top fuel
krautrock  Offline
top fuel
K

central texas
here is a nice little post i found yesterday (have fun with this one)...

i think it hints at how the t-slot can act once the mains start.

are these all possible???

fuel always flows through the t-slot?
fuel flow tapers down some?
fuel flow stops?
fuel flow stops...but in some cases the pressure at the t-slot is so great air can enter and screw with the MAB pressure in the main well and therefore effect fuel flow to your booster...?

Originally Posted By Shrinker post form another forum

11-09-2011, 12:54 PM
shrinker
Registered User Join Date: Dec 2006

Fair enough Plato. So what i will do is ill post my reply to him, here it is.

Air flows through the HSAB and out into the main well via the emulsion bleeds. If there is an emulsion bleed located near the fuel level air can flow through this part of the system at very low CFM flow through the carby. There is a the Kill bleed also and its always conveying fuel vapors. Once the main jet is enough restriction to lower the fuel level in the well to expose the highest e-bleed air will flow freely through the system. This air beings even more fuel fumes with it, the engine combustion of those fumes is part of the AFR. Any time the pressure differential between the main well and the HSAB channel is enough to cause air to flow through that system the AFR will be affected. If there is not enough air to lift the liquid fuel to the booster height there will still be enough air to convey fumes.

As for the idle t-slot circuit it has to interact with the main jet. Many people have too large a main jet for correct interaction to the idle circuit. They have too large a main jet because the HSAB is too large creating a situation where air is taking up too much space in the main well fluid flow stream at high CFM flow values and the engine leans out so they install a larger main jet to compensate. That 'fixes' their issue at the top end but it makes the bottom end too rich, then they go and make the IFR smaller and discover that the crossover from t-slot to the mains has a lean hole in it, so they make the IAB smaller and then at high CFM the pressure at the t-slot in the throttle bore exceeds the pressure in the HSAB channel and fuel flow stops from the t-slot and air starts backflowing and enters the main well at the base where the IFR is and pop it goes lean. And it all started because the main jet was incorrectly sized.
The first thing that has to be right is the size of the main jet and the head of fuel above it. . ALL other jet settings depend upon the flow rate of the main jet.

Re: IFR IAB T slot. Question [Re: krautrock] #2473412
03/28/18 05:37 PM
03/28/18 05:37 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
The geniuses that wrote it best like above have it down pat and I can tell you that I chased my tail for years w/the standard Holley tunes w/BIG .037 high bleeds and too much emulsion. Every single engine/carb combo has it's unique needs and it can be a bear at times and boy is it eye opening every day I mess with these crazy things............Lately playing w/the BLP billet big bore 1050's on my Dart it is eye opening and the different needs and sizes of the bleeds, jets(smaller and better fuel curves)and less emulsion have these carbs damn near EFI friendly w/just a screwdriver and basic hand tools and the lowered t-shafts improve signal even more........... beer

Last edited by Thumperdart; 03/28/18 05:37 PM.

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: IFR IAB T slot. Question [Re: Thumperdart] #2473423
03/28/18 05:49 PM
03/28/18 05:49 PM
Mt Morris Michigan
mopar dave Offline OP
master
mopar dave  Offline OP
master

Mt Morris Michigan
I agree Dom. Tuning a Dominator can test your patience for sure. Tuning a 4150 vs a Dominator is day and night difference. Something else interesting is that the T slot flows both ways depending on blade position. Blade closed flows air into the emulsion well. Blade cracked open flows fuel into venturi. Easy to get confused while tuning your Dominator . Thanks for the info guys.