Print Thread
How to remove Side Glass - 69 Roadrunner #247089
03/08/09 04:29 PM
03/08/09 04:29 PM
S.E. Michigan
TruPerformance Offline OP
TruPerformance  Offline OP

S.E. Michigan
I need to change the stainless moulding/seal assembly on my 69 Roadrunner.

I thought I could just pull it off, but that didn't work.
It is a hardtop, and the one on it has been pried on to the point that it is a mess.
So then I figured better just to pull the glass out and change it out of the car.
So I tried to remove the glass, and it looks like it is held in with some sort of plastic tree, but I have been massaging it for a while, trying to get it to loosen up, but it does not seem to be moving? I want to be careful not to break the glass, so any tips are greatly appreciated! ? ?

1963 Belvedere (mine)
1969 Roadrunner (wife's)
Re: How to remove Side Glass - 69 Roadrunner [Re: TruPerformance] #247090
03/08/09 05:14 PM
03/08/09 05:14 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
Are you talking about the door glass? Are you trying to remove the vent window assembly too? You don't need to remove the glass to get the catwhiskers (door glass weatherstrips on both sides of the glass)off of the door. If you want to remove the door glass without removing the vent window assembly, you have to remove the rear glass stop. It's a nylon round piece at the rear bottom of the glass that's got a phillips screw in the end of it. Take the phillips screw out and jiggle out the nylon stop. The other retainer at the bottom center of the glass is a little tricky. I drill a hole in the center of the blue pin and screw a screw into the hole. Then you need to carefully pull the pin back with some visegrips on the screw but you have to simultaneously release the grip of the 4 prongs that are riding in the groove at the rear of the pin that locks it in. If you break the prongs, I don't know if you can replace it but you probably can? You also need to remove the rubber piece on the top of the vent window frame and you should be able to pull the glass out of the top. Be careful of the front channel guide. It comes out with the glass. It's plastic and felt and is attached to the front of the glass with two thru pins. If you want to remove the whole glass and vent window assembly together, you need to do more.

Re: How to remove Side Glass - 69 Roadrunner [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #247091
03/08/09 06:04 PM
03/08/09 06:04 PM
S.E. Michigan
TruPerformance Offline OP
TruPerformance  Offline OP

S.E. Michigan
Yes, I am dealing with the door glass.(passenger side front) The problem is the vertial trim piece that runs on the end of the glass (hardtop model). It may also be called catwisker, but I thought those were the horizontal pieces that attach to the door?
No, I wasn't going to remove the vent assembly. I want to remove as little as needed.
As I said, I wouldn't have thought that the glass needed to be removed, but I don't want to pry too hard on it, so I decided to try to get the glass out and change the piece out of the car.

If this can be done without removing the glass, I'll try that route.

Thanks!!!

Re: How to remove Side Glass - 69 Roadrunner [Re: TruPerformance] #247092
03/08/09 10:47 PM
03/08/09 10:47 PM
restos just aren't my thing
gtsuperbee Offline
top fuel
gtsuperbee  Offline
top fuel

restos just aren't my thing
If you have to remove the glass, there are 2 screws in the rubber at the top of the vent frame. Remove them and twead the rail out. You may have to remove the bump stop, but other than that roll up the window, or down real low and wiggle it out of the plastic roller channel. Be careful not to screw up the sleve that rides inside the rail and keeps your window from rattling. If you remove the lower stop, you may get the window low enough to change the catwiskers with the window in place. It's been a year or 2 since I did it. It is faily simple.

Restoring a car to look "only" as good as the factory made it is like getting a boob job for your wife and having the doctor make them two different sizes to seem more natural
Re: How to remove Side Glass - 69 Roadrunner [Re: gtsuperbee] #247093
03/08/09 11:18 PM
03/08/09 11:18 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
He's not changing the catwhiskers. Apparently his door glass has the vertical chrome trim on the back of it all messed up and he's trying to get the glass up far enough to replace it? I think he's got to remove the stop and take the glass loose from the bottom channel that rides in the regulator and pull the glass all the way out from the top?