06/09/06 10:28 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exit,
I remember you saying to use a 3m sanding sponge for wet sanding, am i correct? i only saw sponges that already have a grit on them. Do i just wrap the new grit paper around that sponge so i have something soft and flat? I was just concerned that if it ripped through the paper, the rougher grit underneath would ruin my work. Thanks.

Rufus

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24599
06/09/06 10:36 AM
06/09/06 10:36 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

I too am joining the legions of roll on car painters. I got here from the samba.com where I learned of this technique. I have a 68 bay window bus I will be painting soon.

Hi Bowerbird. I'm a Samba.com defector too. This thread is awesome, but what's even better are the moderators here and Moparts.com. You guys are the BEST for being so welcoming and open minded to new ideas! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!

Samba.com has basically shut down the thread on roller painting. Here's one of the (cleaned up) responses from the "moderators" on that site:

"allright,...last "advice" i will give in this thread.

doing all this work only to use Rustoleum is doing a job half***! ...waste of time. Rustoleum is NOT auto paint.learning how to spray is a good thing to learn... cutting corners claiming it's because cost is a sh****y excuse as auto paint is 90 bucks and cheaper for everything you'll need sans paint gun and compresser...if your that cheap you can't get up 90 bucks for auto paint then collecting cars isn't what you need to do!
putting Rustoleum on a car is a horrable idea

thank you
the moderator!"

oh don't even get me started on that one. But i so agree, the moderators on MOPARTS ROCK

i thought the whole point of boards like this is for fellow enthusists to share how they've done stuff to help out other members. not everyone will agree with this method and that's ok, everyones entitled to their own opinion, but i find the mopar community far more welcoming of "out of the box" thinking and methods, and the moderators leave things be. like i've said a million times, i'm not trying to compete with professionals, just offering a alternative low cost solution to get alot of rides on the road that otherwise would sit in a garage until $ can be afforded to paint. after all, it's only paint, you can strip it off and repaint, if anything your preserving your car for the future. the fact that there's overwhelming responces and a huge interest in this thread proves that there are people that really could benifit from this info. i'm glad it's helped so many people out. My opinion of the VW community, espically the samba has totally changed, what i thought was a tight-nit community is just wrong, i'd rather be a "mopar" guy now. what happened in the samba thread was there was a few idiots that came in and ranted about how crappy the method is, and they got ugly, then the moderators shut down the thread, so because of a few idiots, everyone that was reading the thread and very interested in it suffers because of the idiots and moderators, the samba is a substandard board run by a$$O's (pardon my french).

sorry for the vent, i just hope all the people from the samba that have defected here should really be happy they belong to a "real" community, get a mopar, don't get me wrong, i love my vw, just not the community.!!!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24600
06/09/06 11:09 AM
06/09/06 11:09 AM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
exit1965 - progress update? i'm dying to see the finished product what do you have to do to get it running otherwise?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24601
06/09/06 11:44 AM
06/09/06 11:44 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Exit,
I remember you saying to use a 3m sanding sponge for wet sanding, am i correct? i only saw sponges that already have a grit on them. Do i just wrap the new grit paper around that sponge so i have something soft and flat? I was just concerned that if it ripped through the paper, the rougher grit underneath would ruin my work. Thanks.

Rufus

That's what I did rufus. I would get the lightest grit one they have, which I think is like 220, maybe 320, since you're just using it as a semi firm sponge. The coarser grit ones might only sand well where the actual grit pieces are. I'm using a 150 grit and that seems ok but if I started over, i'd probably get a finer one. I don't think it would ever rip through the paper though. It can slide off if you're not careful, but if you're using a wet 320 grit sponge, it's not going to do much damage even if it does slide off for a second.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24602
06/09/06 11:47 AM
06/09/06 11:47 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

exit1965 - progress update? i'm dying to see the finished product what do you have to do to get it running otherwise?

No progress update yet. I took last night off but tonight I'll wetsand the 1/4 panels and do another coat.

I have to do a lot to get it running. It's just a rolling chassis now but it's got a nice 8 3/4 with a 3.55 suregrip. I have a 383/727 to put in it after I do some work to the 383. Maybe it will be running in a few months if I can afford it..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24603
06/09/06 01:20 PM
06/09/06 01:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Another question about the process...

I was wondering about how much paint quantity I should count on getting. I imagine I will use more than the average as I will be painting a bay window bus. Perhaps someone here can give me a ballpark. Thanks.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24604
06/09/06 01:48 PM
06/09/06 01:48 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Another question about the process...

I was wondering about how much paint quantity I should count on getting. I imagine I will use more than the average as I will be painting a bay window bus. Perhaps someone here can give me a ballpark. Thanks.

1 gal should do it. just over maybe so u could get a quart too.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24605
06/09/06 05:35 PM
06/09/06 05:35 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I am using red, and have done 10 coats and I've just opened the 3rd quart. I am putting it on real thin but that's the only way I can avoid orange peel. I bought quarts because the formulation is different between gallons and quarts, at least in California, because the gallons are VOC regulated where the quarts or not.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24606
06/09/06 10:21 PM
06/09/06 10:21 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Has anybody tried spraying the aerosol cans and then wet sanding between coats of that?

If nobody has I'm considering doing a test to see what it looks like. I've found that while doing the "hidden spots" with the spray, it's waaay easier to apply. Two or Three coats and it's good. Plus I don't have to deal with cleaning out my rolling pan, mixing, buying new rollers, etc.

It'd probably be more expensive, I don't know how many cans you would go through to do that. But I think it's worth testing on a test panel. I don't have a test panel to use, so it'd be great to see if somebody else has done this already.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #24607
06/09/06 10:55 PM
06/09/06 10:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I just wanted to say in response to the sour grapes at other websites- This is punk rock! Ben Franklin would have painted his 62 Electra with a roller.

It's just car snobs who've spent 5gs on a paintjob on a car they only take out on Sundays, and they're threatened at the thought of all these DIY'ers having something comparable to their car. Bitter creeps, THEY'RE the ones who shouldn't be "car collectors"!

Last edited by Johnnyzoom; 06/09/06 10:56 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24608
06/10/06 12:49 AM
06/10/06 12:49 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Just did another coat.

I'm back to wondering if red was the right color choice. Seems the more I paint and the more time I put into it, the more it bugs me to see little imperfections in the paint like the hair, the dust speck. I think even the roller gives off some of it's foam sometimes. The concern is I haven't been able to get a haze free finish after wetsanding (which removes those imperfections), and Jagdstealth, who did a nice paint job of his Z and used red for a stripe, also said he first got a haze, then after a lot of work, ended up with a finish much more dull than the white paint.

What I'll probably do is keep going with the red a couple more coats, and then bring some people over to help me move it into the sun, and see how it looks there as charger has suggested.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24609
06/10/06 07:13 AM
06/10/06 07:13 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Just did another coat.

I'm back to wondering if red was the right color choice. Seems the more I paint and the more time I put into it, the more it bugs me to see little imperfections in the paint like the hair, the dust speck. I think even the roller gives off some of it's foam sometimes. The concern is I haven't been able to get a haze free finish after wetsanding (which removes those imperfections), and Jagdstealth, who did a nice paint job of his Z and used red for a stripe, also said he first got a haze, then after a lot of work, ended up with a finish much more dull than the white paint...

You'll probably have to learn to live with it 'cause that's the best it's gonna get...let me tell ya, this stuffs a b*tch to get off!! Sanded for days and have finally got mine in primer...oh well, live and learn (maybe)!! Chuck

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24610
06/10/06 10:56 AM
06/10/06 10:56 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Would normal hardened primer and car paint not work with rustoleum under it?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24611
06/10/06 04:10 PM
06/10/06 04:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Starting to take shape....

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24612
06/10/06 04:15 PM
06/10/06 04:15 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Would normal hardened primer and car paint not work with rustoleum under it?

No...that's the tricky part. As the enamel slowly cures under your new primer and/or paint, the enamel can move and can also cause all sorts of adhesion problems with the layer on top of it. This is what causes the 'turtle shell'/cracking look you see on some cars...you have to get the enamel off before adding layers...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24613
06/10/06 04:20 PM
06/10/06 04:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Exit, have you tried sticking a heat lamp or similar next to one panel to accelerate curing? I wonder if you're getting a hazy look because the paint's still a little soft.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24614
06/10/06 06:15 PM
06/10/06 06:15 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I'll give it a shot Moose..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24615
06/10/06 07:01 PM
06/10/06 07:01 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Does anyone have any pictures of what the hunter green looks like once it's finished? I'm really interested in doing my car at the end of the month but would like to see a few pictures of the final product before I start. Smite, I know you were working with the green, do you have any finished pictures?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24616
06/10/06 07:52 PM
06/10/06 07:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Moose...hey looks great. I just did my 9th coat of yellow last night on my cowl. Are you thinning so much that it drips a lot off the side? How often do you change rollers? I've been trying to preserve mine in plastic bags, but I think maybe that might be a bad idea.

I really gotta finish the rest of this body work so I can start painting everything else. Stupid school!

Last edited by RedFive; 06/10/06 07:53 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24617
06/10/06 08:09 PM
06/10/06 08:09 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Moose...hey looks great. I just did my 9th coat of yellow last night on my cowl. Are you thinning so much that it drips a lot off the side? How often do you change rollers? I've been trying to preserve mine in plastic bags, but I think maybe that might be a bad idea.

I really gotta finish the rest of this body work so I can start painting everything else. Stupid school!

I've actually left the roller in the pan (with the foam laying in the paint) and just covered it with saran wrap. Works fine overnight or even for a couple of days, though you might need to thin it out a bit more the next day.

And no, no drip... I use extremely light coats, basically I make sure that I have to press the roller a bit to get paint out of it, then once coverage is good I do the light pressure rolling all over to smooth things out. It takes a lot of coats, but I like the results so far. The drip you see on the bumper is just from wetsanding...

Page 8 of 159 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 158 159