Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hey all,

I was referred to this thread from Customtacos.com
I have a 99 Tacoma that has red oxidized paint and is faded to hell. I have just a few questions. I'm completely new to this stuff and was wondering if you used your hands to sand or a machine. Also, how do I "wet" sand? I'm about to go to home depot to pick up all the stuff I need to do this. I don't know if I'm going to use a test piece. I just want to start painting after prep. So I prep my truck by sanding it down with 800 grit sandpaper first, then I can immediately start painting. Please give some tips for a complete noob.

Thanks

I don't think you need to finish sand with 800 grit, you can probably go to 320 or 400 to save yourself some time. Maybe even 240. You should do it by hand because machines can gouge if you're not careful. To wetsand, have a container of water and a spray bottle. Run the sandpaper (wrapped around a foam sanding block) through the container to get it wet, and spray the surface, then go back n forth till the surface is smooth and the dust/hair is gone, spraying water on as you go and rinsing/wetting the sandpaper as you go. It's very wet. When it's still wet, before the sanding slop has had a chance to dry, wipe it off with some highly absorbent material, rinse it, continue..

If you're going to paint it red, be prepared to put more than 6 coats to completely cover what's underneath it.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24519
06/02/06 01:11 PM
06/02/06 01:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

My hood looked very similar to that, and I ended up sanding off several coats to make it flat again. My problem was laying it on too thick the first few coats; now I'm doing ultra thin coats and am very paranoid about making sure it's nice and smooth. It looked OK until you saw a light reflect off it and then you saw tons and tons of orange peel... just wasn't going to cut it for me.

So basically wet sand until that goes away (i.e. really smooth) and then just paint even thinner layers? I'll try that this afternoon.

That is what I ended up doing. Mine was bad enough that I sanded down with 320 dry. But it's worth it now that it's turning out much nicer.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24520
06/02/06 01:44 PM
06/02/06 01:44 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

My hood looked very similar to that, and I ended up sanding off several coats to make it flat again. My problem was laying it on too thick the first few coats; now I'm doing ultra thin coats and am very paranoid about making sure it's nice and smooth. It looked OK until you saw a light reflect off it and then you saw tons and tons of orange peel... just wasn't going to cut it for me.

So basically wet sand until that goes away (i.e. really smooth) and then just paint even thinner layers? I'll try that this afternoon.

Yup, with orange peel like that it's only going to get worse if you don't sand it off now.. keep those coats thin.. another member said that yellow took more coats, just like red does, so be prepared to put more than 6 thin coats on it to fully cover.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24521
06/02/06 02:39 PM
06/02/06 02:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Yup, with orange peel like that it's only going to get worse if you don't sand it off now.. keep those coats thin.. another member said that yellow took more coats, just like red does, so be prepared to put more than 6 thin coats on it to fully cover.

That was me.

I'm thinking 8-10 coats is probably about right for yellow.. I have 6 on the fenders now and they're starting to look good and solid, but just barely so.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24522
06/02/06 03:52 PM
06/02/06 03:52 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

That was me.

I'm thinking 8-10 coats is probably about right for yellow.. I have 6 on the fenders now and they're starting to look good and solid, but just barely so.

Forgive me Moose
The red is the same way. I put on coat #8 and it's really getting there but even at this point I saw a few more dings that I just fixed that are going to require the full 10+ coats the whole car will get.

I'm going to stick with the red and try to avoid polishing or sanding it. I will put wax on the sides when its safe to do it and try to protect the paint as best i can..

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24523
06/02/06 03:59 PM
06/02/06 03:59 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Hey Exit, would it be possible for you to put several coats on just those spots where you had to fix the dings, and then once its built up, feather it in with the rest of the paint to make everything smooth and even. OR would that cause those spots to be visible? Did I word that right, does that make sense?

roe

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: roe] #24524
06/02/06 05:50 PM
06/02/06 05:50 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hey Exit, would it be possible for you to put several coats on just those spots where you had to fix the dings, and then once its built up, feather it in with the rest of the paint to make everything smooth and even. OR would that cause those spots to be visible? Did I word that right, does that make sense?

roe

I know what you mean.. but to feather would require sanding I think (or maybe polishing with something abrasive) and I'm trying to avoid that since I haven't had luck getting the haze to go away after wetsanding. If I'm ever forced to sand after the final coat then I'll have to try some better polish or a different polisher but until then I'm going to try to avoid that.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24525
06/02/06 06:18 PM
06/02/06 06:18 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I am not sure what the hell happened but I just started putting on my gndfx, mirrors, and gaslid and they are all a different color than the body! I think the sun played a big -roll- in my project

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24526
06/02/06 08:47 PM
06/02/06 08:47 PM
Col. Ohio
T
The Avg. Valiant Offline
super stock
The Avg. Valiant  Offline
super stock
T

Col. Ohio
I just went out and bought PPG roll on primer. It cost 50 bucks a quart and it should take 2.5 quarts to primer the valiant. The guy said that one coat goes on like 4 of spray primer. Oh well, I wanted to see how it works. Then once it dries and sanded, time to paint the beast.
Jacob

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24527
06/02/06 08:48 PM
06/02/06 08:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I am not sure what the hell happened but I just started putting on my gndfx, mirrors, and gaslid and they are all a different color than the body! I think the sun played a big -roll- in my project

The # of coats makes a huge difference. My fender looks pretty solid color at this point but compared to the hood it's not matching at all. I think you just need to keep laying it on until everything is the same shade.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24528
06/02/06 08:55 PM
06/02/06 08:55 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

The # of coats makes a huge difference. My fender looks pretty solid color at this point but compared to the hood it's not matching at all. I think you just need to keep laying it on until everything is the same shade.

also, was the new paint dry when you looked? on the red I'm using, when it's wet it looks more orange but it dries a darker red.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24529
06/02/06 09:25 PM
06/02/06 09:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]-[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]-[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]-[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean]... 6 coats on them and like 9 on the car.. but I sanded the piss out of the car.. really there is probably like an equivilant 5 coats on it now, haha..

Here are some differences:

1) Body painted outside, in the sun
GndFX painted on patio in shade

2) Body has about 9 coats
GndFX 6

3) Used a nice white terry cloth bonnet on body
bought a blue replacment with longer strands
for GndFX.. and it sucks.. left a blue color
while polishing but I thought it was just the
cotton fibers and not dye. If it was dye then
that would explain a lot.

4) Body cured in the sun and feels super hard
GndFx cured in shade and paint feels a little
softer.

I think those are the major differnces. Number there is good.. that white terry cloth bonnet that came with the buffer was awesome! I bought a replacement of the same brand but they had a "fits 5-7" only version.. anyway I stopped using it because the 6" would just swim inside no matter how much I tied it. The blue replacements I bought at autozone and they fit awesome.. better than the ones that came with the buffer. They have an elastic band and everything fits snug. No need to worry about it coming untied or anyhing.. but what really sucks about them is that they are blue.. that is so stupid, IMHO.. and another thing is that it doesnt hold that TW polish. I was used to goobing it up with the white bonnet.. anyway, I got a full face and body coating of the TW paste. I dont think it is a good idea to get any colored bonnets for this type of work.. sticking with white american cotton would probably be best.

Oh, and I got a good compliment tonight while putting on my spoiler.. a man walked by and said "NICE!!"... so that was cool.. however, I think it was just because it was the only word he knew in english. I dont care. I will take what I can get ^_^

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24530
06/03/06 03:46 PM
06/03/06 03:46 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

Quote:

roe

I know what you mean.. but to feather would require sanding I think (or maybe polishing with something abrasive) and I'm trying to avoid that since I haven't had luck getting the haze to go away after wetsanding. If I'm ever forced to sand after the final coat then I'll have to try some better polish or a different polisher but until then I'm going to try to avoid that.

Exit, I wasnt saying to feather in on the final coat. I was thinking of building up that spot, then feathering (sanding) it in to smooth that spot out and even it up with the surrounding panel. Then doing the additional coats to the whole car. That way you dont have to do 10 extra coats to the whole car. You could just do 10 coats to that spot, then 2-3 coats over the whole car, or however many coats you needed. I dont know much about bodywork/painting so I may be way off base here.

roe

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: roe] #24531
06/03/06 06:28 PM
06/03/06 06:28 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Interesting idea Roe. I know what you mean now, build it up, feather it in then coat the whole panel.

At first I wasn't that worried about it since I would just have to repaint a single door, or the rear trunk shelf.. but now I have about 6 spots like that, and using what you suggested could definately save me some time.

In fact even in areas that have the original 8 coats on it that have dark colors, I could probably try that there too. I think what I'll do is another 3 coats over the whole car, then if the bulk of the car is colored well, I can try what you suggested on the spots that show through, then do the whole car with 2 more coats when those freshly fixed parts are colored.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #24532
06/03/06 06:45 PM
06/03/06 06:45 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Making slow progress, been busy with work and school. Here's a shot of the current state--it's in the middle of drying so that's why it looks a little uneven and mixed dull/gloss. The cladding's going to be painted with bumper paint so not worrying about spilling a bit on it here and there.

I'm probably a couple coats away from the hood/fenders being done, and the roof currently has 5 coats on it. Will continue with the doors and the rear portion next.

Last edited by mooserider; 06/03/06 06:52 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24533
06/03/06 08:51 PM
06/03/06 08:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I'm wondering if you could do the 1500/2000 grit wetsand on final coat and then wipe with mineral spirits and Clearcoat without the polish. I'm willing to try but have to get body work done. Painting starts this weekend

So I'm going to try to get some of the painting done this weekend. I'm still curious if anyone has thought if this would work better than just polish and wax after last coat. Anyone still have an old hood thats been done and can try this process.

I was just browsing a local paintstore site and found these 2 products.
1: http://www.cloverdalepaint.com/html/catalog_spec.asp?prodcode=A-69

2: http://www.cloverdalepaint.com/html/catalog_spec.asp?prodcode=A-68

I think this is the answer to the Peel problems. I once painted a canoe with TClad and an addative called paint smoothie that I beleive is the same as the #1 link above.

cheers

Last edited by 82Scirocco; 06/03/06 09:17 PM.
Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24534
06/03/06 09:30 PM
06/03/06 09:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I think this is the answer to the Peel problems. I once painted a canoe with TClad and an addative called paint smoothie that I beleive is the same as the #1 link above.

cheers

And what did the smoothing additive do to it? Good results?

I just sanded 90% of that orange peel out with 1500 grit. That was a pain in the butt. I probably should have gone out and bought 800, but I'm a poor college student until the next payday.

If it's still a big issue after the current layer dries, I guess I'll have to get something rougher.

With the coat I just put on I thinned it a lot. Was almost like water. Hmmm...I guess I'll find out what it looks like in a little bit...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24535
06/03/06 09:41 PM
06/03/06 09:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

For a Canoe it came out great. we used a bristle brush and the paint self leveled great. The problem here is that we are now leaving the $50 zone. I suppose a person's time sanding peel is worth something too.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24536
06/03/06 09:44 PM
06/03/06 09:44 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah...but my time is free

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #24537
06/03/06 11:43 PM
06/03/06 11:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Okay, this last coat came out a lot better. It would have been even better if I had gotten rid of the Orange Peel 100% instead of 90%. I might have to actually go buy 800 grit...grrr

Page 4 of 159 1 2 3 4 5 6 158 159