North Central Florida
E
eightlitermopar Offline OP
top fuel
eightlitermopar  Offline OP
top fuel
E

North Central Florida
I recently fixed some electrical problems on my roadrunner. One problem I fixed was that the ignition would just shut off, no spark. When it ran, it ran great until it just quit without warning.

Long story short, I believe the problem was the FBO ECU unit that I got when I put (5+ years old). Yeas ago I got the 688? kit that came with a voltage regulator, ballast, ECU, Coil, and I had him custom curve my distributor to my application.

fast forward to now, I replaced the ECU with a summit 4 pin ECU and the voltage regulator with a new unit off the shelf from oreilly auto. The car now starts right up, revs awesome in the driveway, etc.

However, tonight I finally took it out after the fix on the open road at WOT it sputters and sounds like a rev limiter cutting out. Driving at steady speed it does fine, but WOT under load it sounds like crossed wires or something. I checked the cap and rotor and it looks fine.

I checked my old 8.8 accel wires (yes, over 10 years old) and I found one to be cracked, so.... yes I am going to replace them.I did not see any arcing in the pitch black at night.

But my quick question...if anyone knows off the bat... Are off the shelf ECU boxes and voltage regulators compatible with the FBO coil and or distributor? I didn't know if a mismatch in parts could be causing my issue. shruggy

Thanks for any thoughts...and happy holidays!

eightlitermopar

Mopar or no car
Re: Quick FBO ignition question [Re: eightlitermopar] #2422880
12/23/17 11:17 PM
12/23/17 11:17 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
not from a mismatch.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Quick FBO ignition question [Re: RapidRobert] #2422920
12/24/17 12:25 AM
12/24/17 12:25 AM
North Central Florida
E
eightlitermopar Offline OP
top fuel
eightlitermopar  Offline OP
top fuel
E

North Central Florida
Originally Posted By RapidRobert
not from a mismatch.

Cool thanks! I just didn't want to overlook something obvious that I wasn't aware of. New plug wires are ordered and I will go from there.

If that doesn't cure it, I will troubleshoot the fuel system next.

Thanks!

eightlitermopar

Mopar or no car