pacific northwest
S
Stroker Scamp Offline OP
master
Stroker Scamp  Offline OP
master
S

pacific northwest
Any one have any first had experience with what is involved with bringing one of these flooded challengers back to working condition?
I would imagine that there could be a whole host of things wrong excluding just the cleaning. Looking for input on someone who has done this before

footbrake N/A SB 408 Scamp 10.10 @ 132 street/strip
73 Duster 340 street strip 12.79 @ 105
Re: water damaged cars [Re: Stroker Scamp] #2408503
11/25/17 01:24 AM
11/25/17 01:24 AM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
many many electronic parts and much wiring to be replaced as well as drying and destinking the interior. This has been discussed here before. Do a google custom search at the top of this page for flood cars.

Re: water damaged cars [Re: Stroker Scamp] #2408515
11/25/17 02:05 AM
11/25/17 02:05 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
We are in process of doing a rust free 57 Dodge wagon with a 5.7 Hemi that went under water to the roof.

All the wiring is junk.
All of the electrical components are junk.
Any motor parts the have open bearings are junk (the water pump was locked up!)
All of the brake parts (4 wheel disc brake rotors are all pitted already).
All of the interior.
Rebuilt the trans.
Pull down the motor & clean it up.
Replaced the rear axle assembly.
Clean the fuel system (tank, pump, what was about 1/2 a tank it full to the top.)
Scrub and disinfect in inside and underside of the body, inside the doors, quarters, frame rails, probable will end up replacing the exhaust. Its amazing how many places dirt and debris got into.

This car was cleaned up by 2 washings, and the complete interior removal as soon as we could get it out of the water. Then we pulled all the plugs, drained the oil/water, WD40d the motor 3 times, flushed the motor with oil 3 times, and pulled the front sheet metal and cleaned everything again within a couple of days. Even after all that, there was still some surface rust on the cylinder walls after we pulled the heads. I can't imagine what it would have looked like had it been sitting for several weeks before we started the clean it up.

There is no way I would do this on a newer computer controlled car. Gene

Re: water damaged cars [Re: Stroker Scamp] #2408617
11/25/17 12:32 PM
11/25/17 12:32 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
This subject comes up on a regular basis. And, once again here a few important points.

1)Establish the water line. It must be below the seats. If you can't firmly determine that, (on both sides and on each end of the vehicle) then walk away.

2)No salt water vehicles. None. Never. At all.

3)Try to determine the amount of mold and your tolerance of it. There will always be mold. It is just a matter of how much, what kind and will it affect you.

4)Unless you are very brave, make sure the vehicle starts and the electronics work. Now some flood designated vehicles are actually vehicles that were driven into water fast enough for the engine to suck water into the intake and hydro-lock without the vehicle actually being under water. Under certain circumstances, those can be good bargains.

5)Make sure you have the time, work space and budget for the surprises that will probably come.

6)Don't buy for profit, buy for personal use.

7)Thoroughly research your state's titling laws regarding these vehicles. Also check on the insurance and financing. It varies greatly.

8)Stay practical and don't get emotionally connected to any one unit.

There's more, but that should be enough for a start. A water car can be a very good buy and I always encourage people to look into it. But frankly, very few are really worth considering.

Master, again and still