02/25/09 02:00 PM
02/25/09 02:00 PM
Colorado
C
CaptainGTX Offline OP
CaptainGTX  Offline OP
C

Colorado
Like most other old car people, I have problems with fuel vaporization in the carburetor after engine shutdown. After several hours my 69 GTX 440 usually needs at least 20 seconds of grinding before she'll fire back up. I see that manifold silencer kits are now being remanufactured. These were supposedly installed at the factory on at least the big blocks. Are these worth the trouble putting back on the car? I'm at 6,000 feet here near Denver, although the fuel is supposedly tailored for this elevation. I have as thick a carb spacer as I have room for with the hood insulation pad (which undoubtedly helps trap heat). I'd prefer not to change out my original Carter AVS. The fuel pump seems to put up adequate pressure. Anyone have any experience with or without these pads? Thanks

Re: Intake Manifold Silencer Pad [Re: CaptainGTX] #235935
02/25/09 04:28 PM
02/25/09 04:28 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
The pad is not going to solve your problem , and neither is a carb change , it's the fuel being boiled out because the intake is HOT , it's hot because of the EXHAUST CROSSOVER more than the heat transfer from the valley pan .

Also that silencer pad is ALUM FOIL on the OUTSIDE , its going to TRANSFER the heat ....

Re: Intake Manifold Silencer Pad [Re: JohnRR] #235936
02/25/09 10:58 PM
02/25/09 10:58 PM
Colorado
C
CaptainGTX Offline OP
CaptainGTX  Offline OP
C

Colorado
What's the practical downside of blocking the exhaust crossover? I suppose the choke will pull off later & it will likely run rougher for a while, but is that a big deal? I don't drive it much during the winter months.

Re: Intake Manifold Silencer Pad [Re: CaptainGTX] #235937
02/25/09 11:09 PM
02/25/09 11:09 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
If you block the heat you should back the choke off or the engine will load up...Blocking it helps...The fuel that is sold these days doesn't like not being pressurized in an EFI system...

Re: Intake Manifold Silencer Pad [Re: JohnRR] #235938
02/26/09 12:38 PM
02/26/09 12:38 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
Quote:

Also that silencer pad is ALUM FOIL on the OUTSIDE , its going to TRANSFER the heat ....

The pad blocks heat that would radiate from the valley pan to the bottom of the intake. The amount of alum foil that would conduct heat is small compared to teh fiberglass insulation within, so I'd put my money that the fiberglass wins over the aluminum. Regardless, as mentioned, the amount of heat conducted from the heads into the intake is significantly higher!

I read in a Mopar mag about using a return-style fuel filter from the 80s and running a return line to the tank. Then you install a drilled bolt (or similar) inline with the return to make an orifice. Takes some 'tuning', but the premise is that you allow a pressure drain for the fuel that boils in the carb (and possibly the fuel pump), allowing it to escape back to the tank ILO evaporating.

Make the orifice small enough that the flow loss when driving is between what the FP can supply and what the engine needs.

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: Intake Manifold Silencer Pad [Re: Fury Fan] #235939
02/26/09 12:47 PM
02/26/09 12:47 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
As for blocking the heat crossover:
I did that on one of my cars and got a TERRIBLE exhaust resonance around 2500-3000 RPM. I have an X-pipe, so maybe that was part of it, but the noise was so obnoxious that I immediately openend the crossover again.

It came on and off like a light switch, and based on my street address it always seemed to hit when driving past an old lady's house (even under normal driving). Not acceptable to me -- because it might not be acceptable to her!

Parts I seek: driver doorpanel, 65 Sport Fury, prefer black, needs to be 7-8 on 10 scale, might buy set 16" x 6" Dodge truck wheel(s), from early 70s?, takes 9" dogdish - need for a research job so cheaper is better. 69-73 C-body caliper brackets and/or splashields Send a PM.
Re: Intake Manifold Silencer Pad [Re: Fury Fan] #235940
02/26/09 01:08 PM
02/26/09 01:08 PM
Colorado
C
CaptainGTX Offline OP
CaptainGTX  Offline OP
C

Colorado
I agree with you that the heat transferred by the aluminum foil cover of the silencer pad is going to be small. I'm still inclined to install this pad, but will probably leave the crossover unblocked, unless others have additional insight.
My GTX has its factory fuel lines to and from the gas tank, all per original. As long as it takes to start up (~ 20 seconds), I'm thinking the return line works too well, perhaps draining fuel from the fuel pump. Anyone seen that problem & could it happen without a hole or leak in the pump diaphram? It doesn't seem to me it should take that long for gas to flow from the pump to the carb if the fuel pump is already full. I suppose I could tell by breaking open the fuel lines after the car has set a few hours.

Re: Intake Manifold Silencer Pad [Re: Fury Fan] #235941
02/27/09 09:57 AM
02/27/09 09:57 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

The pad blocks heat that would radiate from the valley pan to the bottom of the intake. The amount of alum foil that would conduct heat is small compared to teh fiberglass insulation within, so I'd put my money that the fiberglass wins over the aluminum. Regardless, as mentioned, the amount of heat conducted from the heads into the intake is significantly higher!

I read in a Mopar mag about using a return-style fuel filter from the 80s and running a return line to the tank. Then you install a drilled bolt (or similar) inline with the return to make an orifice. Takes some 'tuning', but the premise is that you allow a pressure drain for the fuel that boils in the carb (and possibly the fuel pump), allowing it to escape back to the tank ILO evaporating.

Make the orifice small enough that the flow loss when driving is between what the FP can supply and what the engine needs.

the heat in the valley pan , maybe 230-250 degrees TOPS , is going to be LESS that the exh temp, over 600 and much higher at WOT , passing thru the exh crossover passage .

as far as the return line ... it's a VAPOR return line , little if any fuel is passing back to the tank .

The problem the OP is experiencing is the same the rest of us experience ... IT'S THE PROPERETY of the CURRENT FUEL FORMULATION.