Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Quote:

Reproductions are designed to fill a market void. And this is just MY opinion .
But in my mind there will be - has to be something to differentiate the originals from reproductions. ( keep sellers honest imo)
2nd - With any reproduction there will be concessions made in regards to some of the smaller details. Think of the costs involved to either tool up for every single piece, or use currently avail smaller pieces. Lets be honest how many here would pay twice( maybe more, maybe less) the price to get an exact duplicate of an original set?

I'm happy with a nice set that looks the part within 90%. Personally,my cars are not garage art/trailer queens. Mine will be driven. So I'm not one of the crowd that needs $400 nos plug wires

Bill, in due respect,and not bashing-i dont buy that one bit.
are you telling me to duplicate the plug and distributor boots will double the price of those wires, i dont think so, maybe add $20.00 to the set if that.
why take the trouble of reproducing a part only to get it half right. just doesnt make sense.
why are the battery cables and shaker bubble brackets,idle solenoids, wire harnesses, etc.so meticulously detailed correct.
Dave at ECS goes the extra mile in order to make the correct decals, why cant the spark plug wire vender make is correct.
you see almost every restored car out there with these wires on their cars, so its definitely not a quantity needed issue.

Think about it this way...So far all they had to do was print logos on a black 7mm wire & install boots that look pretty close... If the exact boots were still being produced they probably would be using them... So to take care of this detail that few really care about they would need to have molds made & do short runs of straight,135 degree, 90 degree plug boots, straight & 90 degree dist. boots, plus red dist boots & coil boots... Costs would go up...At that point how many that would have bought the $100.00 resto wires don't want to pay the extra costs therebe limiting the marketability causing the price to rise to try to recover the costs never mind about making s profit...

There are lots of substandard repo parts that I feel should be done right....At least for me, this isn't one of them... Sheet metal, trim, interior, lots of stuff but plug wires I'd rather have better performing p-arts rather than more correct parts....

Re: Dated plug wires- comparisons - NOS versus Reproduction [Re: 1_WILD_RT] #232937
02/28/09 03:34 PM
02/28/09 03:34 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i dont know about you but the 1st thing i look at in an engine bay is the correct air cleaner element and plug wires then i stsrt to look around like the wiper motor,coil markings and h bolts.
im shocked a guy like roger gibson and frank badalson hasnt taken the wires to a new higher level of accuracy like they did on the battery wires.
i think its a no brainer to make these correct. so you have to make a mold for 3 different angles for vthe boots. i dont see a real big problem there.
i personally think FIRECORE could have the race cars,FAST and show cars all in his back pocket with a truly correct set of plug wires. with his quality wire and correct details it would be a homerun.

5059752-115-1531_IMG.JPG (50 downloads)
Re: Dated plug wires- comparisons - NOS versus Reproduction #232938
02/28/09 05:41 PM
02/28/09 05:41 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Just food for thought - Aren't the Firecore wires an 8mm with optional 8.5mm wire.
if so could they achieve the same results with a 7mm wire

Re: Dated plug wires- comparisons - NOS versus Reproduction [Re: gtx6970] #232939
02/28/09 05:49 PM
02/28/09 05:49 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Regardless of the dia. the Firecore wires have a different sheen and overall look as compared to OEM wires, there's really no way you'd get them to look exact to OEMs regardles of boots or stampings. However, I'd still like to get some Firecores with the factory style stamping because even if not 100% correct, they'd look right to most onlookers keeping a generally correct the factory "look"

Re: Dated plug wires- comparisons - NOS versus Reproduction [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #232940
02/28/09 06:33 PM
02/28/09 06:33 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
I have an OE set - 1st quarter 1968 Hemi wires here. And as mentioned the cap boot is a dark reddish color but the writing is yellow just as the rest of the wires

5060081-DSC00100.JPG (52 downloads)
Re: Dated plug wires- comparisons - NOS versus Reproduction [Re: gtx6970] #232941
02/28/09 07:08 PM
02/28/09 07:08 PM
Ontario, Canada
mccannix Offline
master
mccannix  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada
Not to hi-jack this thread but was the size of the superstock wires 8 mm?
I found a bunch of these grey Packard wires with ends at an old warehouse.
The owner told me there was a spool of dark reddish or burgundy wire like these there also...I haven't found it yet.
Was Packard printed on the early factory ones...Bill? Scott?

5060151-packard.jpg (44 downloads)
Re: Dated plug wires- comparisons - NOS versus Reproduction [Re: mccannix] #232942
02/28/09 07:21 PM
02/28/09 07:21 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
The earliest I remember seeing any grey wire is late 70's or early 80's Gm cars.

I think the race Hemi wires are in fact 8mm.
I've got some pics of race hemi wires but not on this PC. I'll post them tomorrow afternoon/evening.

gotta go ,Vollyball game tonight

Re: Dated plug wires- comparisons - NOS versus Reproduction #232943
03/01/09 10:41 AM
03/01/09 10:41 AM
S
sixbbl69 Offline
top fuel
sixbbl69  Offline
top fuel
S

Quote:

i dont know about you but the 1st thing i look at in an engine bay is the correct air cleaner element and plug wires then i stsrt to look around like the wiper motor,coil markings and h bolts.
im shocked a guy like roger gibson and frank badalson hasnt taken the wires to a new higher level of accuracy like they did on the battery wires.
i think its a no brainer to make these correct. so you have to make a mold for 3 different angles for vthe boots. i dont see a real big problem there.
i personally think FIRECORE could have the race cars,FAST and show cars all in his back pocket with a truly correct set of plug wires. with his quality wire and correct details it would be a homerun.

I think the reason roger gibson and frank b don't get into this is the same reason they didn't get into the H-wheels. they know there is a market for this stuff but a very small market and they also know its not worth the effort or money to produce parts that only 10 guys like you would ever buy.they also know that 9 out of the 10 would be SHOCKED at the price and on moparts for 2 weeks like the Goodyear red line tires everyone just had to have. iam shocked that a guy like you with all your mopar knowledge and big money hasn't tooled up to produce all this stuff and corner the market?????????

Re: Dated plug wires- comparisons - NOS versus Reproduction [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #232944
03/01/09 02:32 PM
03/01/09 02:32 PM
NORTHERN VA
T
THESHAKERPROJECT Offline
super stock
THESHAKERPROJECT  Offline
super stock
T

NORTHERN VA
Quote:

Regardless of the dia. the Firecore wires have a different sheen and overall look as compared to OEM wires, there's really no way you'd get them to look exact to OEMs regardles of boots or stampings. However, I'd still like to get some Firecores with the factory style stamping because even if not 100% correct, they'd look right to most onlookers keeping a generally correct the factory "look"

then you could have the stock/show looks AND better performance as well. Those Firecores are a great upgrade for Mopars and with the factory lettering they would be a home run !!

Re: Dated plug wires- comparisons - NOS versus Reproduction [Re: THESHAKERPROJECT] #232945
03/01/09 11:51 PM
03/01/09 11:51 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline
super stock
P

INDIANA
My guess on the reason they do not make these wires exactly as originals is they are using left over tooling from someone. 15 years ago you could walk into a NAPA dealer and get a set of Beldens for a mopar and guess what-they were black 7mm with the same color and shaped boots as original, minus the makings. I dont know of course if this is the case, but possible. It would not be that costly for them to make the molds for the boots-they are very simple molds, I have a friend who builds these tools everyday-he could have them built in a day.

Re: Dated plug wires- comparisons - NOS versus Reproduction [Re: Paul Jacobs] #232946
03/02/09 12:20 AM
03/02/09 12:20 AM
Cleveland
sunroofgtx Offline
I Live Here
sunroofgtx  Offline
I Live Here

Cleveland
I believe GM was the first to have 8mm wires. In the late 70's , early 80's. Delco I think. I willmake a call tomorrow to see about this "permission slip" neededfor the stamping. A problem that happens with quality race core when building sets, is that when you strip and fold it for the brass terminals to be terminated, about half the time, the core breaks. Guys what, now your lengths are off. Its a piece of cake building the HEI sets. We use stainless dual crimps.We crimp on the core and insulate. Ours is on the left.

It sometimes takes 2 hours to get a single set of FactoryFit 8mm wires finished. Thats with automated terminal machines. The race core does not like to be bent. This is why we push the racewire, 8.5mm so much. Its a more-friendly assembly process using the HEI type termianals. To get exact boots made, I believe the minimum count is 10k units, not including the set-up costs for the molds.

Thanks for the kind words , guys. It's just nice to build a racewire in 8mm, that would pass as a stock wire to most onlookers. Its tough to get into the exact duplication market , with all of the date code possibilities and print types. If we got it exact, there will always be the people who swear its all wrong.

Here is our 8mm. It may look all wrong to some, but customers love the way they fit, and some swear their engines love them too.

New orange Max Wedge and Hemi wires. We make sets in either solid core or suppression in 7mm.

Join the quickest team in motorsports. Team FireCore. CustomWiresets.com
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3