Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I stole this off Hotrodders BB thought it might be of use to someone here:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/tip-day-16-a-71240.html

Tip of the day #16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When color sanding a panel use different directions for different paper grits..

For example: Sand vertical with 1000, then when you sand with 1500 or 2000 sand horizontally... This will aid you in "seeing" if you lower grit scratches are being removed...

Also after using 2000 and you think everything is good to go, using the 4000 pad on a DA as our Jclark does really shows up any scratches that you may have missed!!! It ( 4000 grit pad) will give a low gloss luster and remove the 2000 marks, but if there is anything else still left behind it will show them up like a highlight...

Finally let the car,truck/panel... whatever it is set in the sun after you sand it for at least a few hours.. then pull it back in and buff it after it has cooled to room temp... Our own Expert Resident Barry Kives recommends this and I have tried it and it works great... It really does improve buffing and the final product If you have the time let it set for a day and buff the next day

If you are doing a hot rod ,show car or dark color this is a great help!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23051
05/17/06 08:32 PM
05/17/06 08:32 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well, things are not going so well.

Spent about two hours getting rid of orange peel. Made the next coat really nice and thin. Now I have orange peel AND runs, no matter how thin and smooth I laid it down. (It was near-water consistency)

Ideas?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23052
05/17/06 08:55 PM
05/17/06 08:55 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Spent about two hours getting rid of orange peel. Made the next coat really nice and thin. Now I have orange peel AND runs, no matter how thin and smooth I laid it down. (It was near-water consistency)

Ideas?

how many layers before you started sanding? for runs i would run it over it again or go slightly thicker.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23053
05/17/06 09:38 PM
05/17/06 09:38 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Ideas?

how many layers before you started sanding? for runs i would run it over it again or go slightly thicker.

I did two layers, wetsanded, two more layers, wetsanded. At that point I was seeing a lot of orange peel, and ended up sanding with 320 grit until it was smooth again. Thinned the paint out a good bit more and laid on another coat, and I'm seeing a ton of orange peel again. No clue what I'm doing wrong at this point and it's getting pretty frustrating.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23054
05/17/06 09:54 PM
05/17/06 09:54 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Ideas?

What color are you using?

If it's like water, I think that's too thin. Water is very thin, in my experience anything that thin would definately run. Try near a whole milk type consistency (not skim milk) or a bit thicker.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23055
05/17/06 10:08 PM
05/17/06 10:08 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

What color are you using?

If it's like water, I think that's too thin. Water is very thin, in my experience anything that thin would definately run. Try near a whole milk type consistency (not skim milk) or a bit thicker.

Using yellow.

I think my problem is with the application.

Should you soak the roller enough that it gives smooth coverage with little pressure, or go ahead and push down to get the paint everywhere, then roll over it again with light pressure?

Thanks for your help... I know this can be done and I am not going to give up, but I'm in need of some help and advice.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23056
05/17/06 10:11 PM
05/17/06 10:11 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

HEy guys, how does bondo hold onto to this paint? I was bondo'ing a small area on my door when i accidently dropped a small piece as i was waking away and didnt realize it till today and trying to take it off is not even possible its like ROCK HARD and wont scrap off, i read somewhere on the net that when repairing RUST, they suggested to wire the rust down to metal then prime, paint rustoleum over it and then put bondo on top o.O Sounds wierd but it seems to not wanna lET GO off of my car so since my car is pretty much a ABUSE car i had small nickle dings here and there which i have applied bondo to and smoothed it out, and it doesnt wanna come off either, will post pics later.

I hope you're right I found a little ding on my drivers side door that I didnt see before I had paint. I'm going to bondo right over it. Will see how it works but I probably wont get to my 6th coat till tomorrow and the dent is fixed.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23057
05/18/06 01:02 AM
05/18/06 01:02 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
This little ding was a breeze to fix. It doesn't show any signs of not adhering well to the rustoleum either. I went with 80 grit, then 180, then 400 and water and it's flat now. The only thing is this area is going to need the 8+ coats the rest of the door will need. I think this door will have lots and lots of coats on it. Extra protection against people opening their door into the car I suppose.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23058
05/18/06 07:22 PM
05/18/06 07:22 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Using yellow.

I think my problem is with the application.

Should you soak the roller enough that it gives smooth coverage with little pressure, or go ahead and push down to get the paint everywhere, then roll over it again with light pressure?

Thanks for your help... I know this can be done and I am not going to give up, but I'm in need of some help and advice.

Well, revelation!

I learned some things today that I want to share in case it helps somebody else out.

* Check out other cars in the parking lot at work or at the store, using the same critical eye and angles you're checking your own work out with. Guess what? I did and something like HALF of the cars I checked had WORSE orange peel than what I considered 'horrible' on mine. Kind of puts things in perspective when several of the automakers crank out worse work than I'm doing in my garage with a foam roller and sandpaper.

* Thin the paint out. It seems like I am at 40% mineral spirits at this point, but I can tell that things are going the right way. I won't bother to measure and rather add until it's milk-like consistency from now on.

* Thin your coats out! I re-read the thread a couple of times and started pushing the paint out of the roller so that it wasn't really soaked when I put it on the car. Then I pushed down on it while rolling to squish the paint out. Got very thin, smooth coats, and even tried it on a vertical surface. Zero runs and very even!

The last coat hasn't dried yet and I can already tell it'll be tons better than any of my previous ones.

Last edited by mooserider; 05/18/06 09:02 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23059
05/19/06 01:25 AM
05/19/06 01:25 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Way to go moose, sounds like you're on your way! by the way, lets see some pics..

I just put my 6th coat on and it's starting to glisten nicely. It's hard to judge, but maybe another 4-5 coats should have it completely colored (except the driver's door where the ding was repaired).

I'm to the point where I can do the whole car in 1.5 hours now, but the time really flies with some good music or talk radio and watching the thing shine as the paint is going on. I've got some computer speakers around the window, and a subwoofer on the floor, hooked to an mp3 player. sounds quite nice in there

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23060
05/19/06 01:43 AM
05/19/06 01:43 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Way to go moose, sounds like you're on your way! by the way, lets see some pics..

I just put my 6th coat on and it's starting to glisten nicely. It's hard to judge, but maybe another 4-5 coats should have it completely colored (except the driver's door where the ding was repaired).

I'm to the point where I can do the whole car in 1.5 hours now, but the time really flies with some good music or talk radio and watching the thing shine as the paint is going on. I've got some computer speakers around the window, and a subwoofer on the floor, hooked to an mp3 player. sounds quite nice in there

so how does the paint look up close? any peeling? runs? how often have you been wetsanding/grit?

Last edited by dbdartman; 05/19/06 09:18 PM.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #23061
05/19/06 08:59 AM
05/19/06 08:59 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

so how does the paint look up close? any peeling? runs? how often have you been wetsanding/grit?

Its hard to get a good pic with this lighting of a close up area, but here's a try. The entire surface is the same, very very slight orange peel. less than is seen on most american cars, but it has not been wetsanded yet either (after these 2 coats anyway).

I sanded after coats 2 and 4 with 600, I am going to move to 800 now, maybe 1000.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23062
05/19/06 09:23 AM
05/19/06 09:23 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
very nice exit1965, your really doing a good job, i'm sure you've got the process down pat from your pics, after your final wetsand and buff you'll be like , i'm excited to see your final result out in the sun. one other tip exit, after your final coat, and about 1 day of drying or overnight, put the car out in the sun for a day before your final wetsand and polish, that really hardens up the paint. i'll look good. i think the problem is that most people don't realize what the factory paint looked like on thses cars, when comparing to new BC/CC paints that look wet all the time. the factory paint on these cars looked worse than your paint job. just think, now that you've got all this expirence how fast you could do it again knowing what you do now. and what i really like is the ease of the work, no pressure, take your time, no mess. awesome job. now get that car on the road where it should be.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #23063
05/19/06 01:07 PM
05/19/06 01:07 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

have you tried a scratch test recently? I am curious how your paint is holding up after all the layers.

How did the paint handle when you sanded down to fix the dent? Did it chip off, smear off or something else?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23064
05/19/06 01:15 PM
05/19/06 01:15 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

have you tried a scratch test recently? I am curious how your paint is holding up after all the layers.

How did the paint handle when you sanded down to fix the dent? Did it chip off, smear off or something else?

Yeah I try a scratch test after every coat and it doesn't scratch at all.

Its really pretty simple - as long as the stuff is on there thin and there's no runs, and it passes a scratch test, it's dry. If there are runs, those runs are what scratch off because they haven't dried completely since the paint is thick in that area (and never will dry right). Orange peel is thicker paint-thinner paint -thicker paint, so that definately needs to come off if it's bad.

The paint came off as expected when I sanded it, in powder form. I only scratched the area where the ding was with 80 grit to give it teeth, then did bondo, but the sanding affected the area around the ding, and that sanded off in powder, didn't clog up the paper or anything. It was very easy to fix the ding and to smooth out and 'feather' the area around the ding.

Thanks for the words Charger. I can't put it out in the sun for a day though unless I can figure out a way to move it up and down my driveway. I can let it bake in my garage for a few days at 95 degrees though

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23065
05/19/06 01:44 PM
05/19/06 01:44 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Exit1965,
How long are you letting it dry between coats? Also how long before sanding?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23066
05/19/06 02:35 PM
05/19/06 02:35 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Exit1965,
How long are you letting it dry between coats? Also how long before sanding?

I've been giving it a day between coats. That's most convenient too, because I dont want to spend 1.5 hours in the morning painting it before I go to work, so I've been painting in the evenings. Similarly, I'll sand in the evening when the last coat was put on a day before, so roughly 24 hours between coats or after a coat and before sanding..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #23067
05/19/06 08:05 PM
05/19/06 08:05 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I have a few runs and a little orange peel, but what really bothers me is the splotchyness. How do I get that to go away?

I'm finished my third coat and i'm going to wetsand tomorrow.

Thanks,

Nick

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23068
05/19/06 08:58 PM
05/19/06 08:58 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I have a few runs and a little orange peel, but what really bothers me is the splotchyness. How do I get that to go away?

Thanks,

Nick

Can you describe the 'splotchyness'?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23069
05/19/06 09:04 PM
05/19/06 09:04 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Thanks,

Nick

Is the splotchyness you're talking about where some areas are glossy and others look like sandpaper? If that's what you mean, I had some of that too, but that is from putting too little paint on. there's a line between too little and not enough, but i've found if you roll over the area enough times (quickly, right after you've put some paint on it the first time) those splotchy areas will not happen. It's just a matter of redistributing the paint evenly.

if the splotchyness is being see through, that will go away with more coats.

Page 79 of 85 1 2 77 78 79 80 81 84 85