05/15/06 09:56 PM
05/15/06 09:56 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm with you, I'm looking for the same shine as well. Someone might have a better idea, but the only thing I can say is after my 4 coats, the paint was definitly not scratchable with my finger nail. It would have broke right off trying. You may be putting it on too thick like Exit did in his preliminary tests. I hate to say it, but I sure hope its just something you did and it will turn out better for others and myself. Hopefully someone else can pipe in here and talk more about their pollishing experience with this finish.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23031
05/15/06 10:04 PM
05/15/06 10:04 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi man, have you used the turtle wax polishing compound that was recommended? That should help get rid of most of the spider webbing but you need to take your time and not just do a once over. After that you probably wont have many noticable scratches. You could probably use a product specially designed to remove the swirls. There are some products that fill the very light scratches and make it look like they disapeared. I see spiderwebbing after color sanding with 2000gt .. but havent polished yet.

-Serp

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23032
05/16/06 12:16 AM
05/16/06 12:16 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

So you are ringing out the roller pretty well before using it, do you have to press pretty hard on the roller to get the paint to apply and come out of the roller? How about speed of rolling, does it really matter how fast? What is the purpose of sanding every 2 coats?

Sorry for all the questions; I would really like this to work.

Yes, I press fairly firmly to leave a uniform appearance of wetness across the whole area. Not sure how to describe the speed, but I've gone plenty fast over an area without problem.. just go fast enough to get it quickly spread in a uniform way on the surface. And dont be afraid to roll over it a few times to get it uniform. Just dont take too much time or it will start to dry and you'll have a hard time smoothing it out.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23033
05/16/06 12:29 AM
05/16/06 12:29 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm using the no order mineral spirits, and it is working fine on the other panels, I think it was because the paint had been sitting for about 2 days mixed. I'm also cleaning/scrubbing down the surface with mineral spirits before paint. I'm not a newb when it comes to painting either. I've painted lots of stuff.

I did all the steps as noted. I suppose it looks pretty good, maybe I should get a scratch remover compound. That was also done with a hand cloth thingy. I can't scarth the paint off if I tried. It's hard as a rock. I told my aunt I would give her a dollar if she could scratch it, and she couldn't. Soo it's awesome stuff. Maybe I should use 2000 for final sand instead of 1500.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23034
05/16/06 12:54 AM
05/16/06 12:54 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
On the almond test area I did, I saw those spiderwebs quite a bit. Although I didn't spend much time with the orbital buffer on it, nor did I try a compound specifically for removing swirl marks or scratches.

Im looking at this paintjob a bit differently. I dont expect it to be a BC/CC job, maybe like a single stage job. But in either case, the pluses are, it's cheap, it's green as in environmentally friendly, it's easy to touch up, it seems durable, and I wont panic if it gets scratched. if I can get a tremendous gloss, all the better but old cars can get away with a little less lustre than a new car if you ask me. so it's a good thing i'm doing an old dart with it..

I would go 2000 Kahuna instead of 1500 for the final sand.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23035
05/16/06 03:20 PM
05/16/06 03:20 PM
venice, ca
A
admactanium Offline
admactanium  Offline
A

venice, ca
Quote:

I'm afraid this is gonna be a problem that everyone is eventually gonna face...I had the same thing happen and when I asked my buddy that runs a body shop he said the problem is "there is no hardener in this enamel paint"...

Think about it...you're buffing paint that seems dry and hard but really in a microscopic level it is still a bit soft and when you buff it, you are scratching it. It's a no win situation...no final sand/buff leaves peel and trash, final sand/buff leaves micro-scratches galore...

I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how to salvage my paint job since I completed the whole car before I figured out this problem!!

it's your polishing technique. you most definitely can get those microscratches out. but you're not going to do it with turtle wax polishes. you can polish out almost any paint to a mirror finish with those microscratches/swirling/spiderwebbing. but doing it by hand with substandard products isn't going to work.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: admactanium] #23036
05/16/06 03:35 PM
05/16/06 03:35 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
the turtle wax polishing compound is the equivelent to 2500+ grit, the reason why i reccommended it is because it is a very non-aggressive compound, and therefore takes alot of time to polish out, but the good thing is that there is virtually no chance of burning thru the paint, and with really thin coats it is perfect, but like i mentioned about 20 pages ago i would spend about 1 hour to just do the trunk lid, just sit there and let the polisher do the work. you can't expect instant results, if on the otherhand you know how to polish and rub paint out then use whatever you want, just be careful on fresh paint. the turtle wax stuff is really good from my expirence and i did all my cars with it, just takes time. polishing is a art in it'self, for the layman the turtle wax stuff is the way to go.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #23037
05/16/06 06:08 PM
05/16/06 06:08 PM
Col. Ohio
T
The Avg. Valiant Offline
super stock
The Avg. Valiant  Offline
super stock
T

Col. Ohio
This is the test piece I used, it came off my race car. It has 7 coats of white gloss pro. In between it was hit with 800 and the last one was hit with 1500 and then 2000. Its not even buffed yet and looks awesome. The rest of the car will be done this way. We still need to add a red boot stripe to the back like on the darts, anyone know the color of red that would be close from the tintable base?
Jacob

2630451-car.JPG (1336 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: The Avg. Valiant] #23038
05/16/06 06:09 PM
05/16/06 06:09 PM
Col. Ohio
T
The Avg. Valiant Offline
super stock
The Avg. Valiant  Offline
super stock
T

Col. Ohio
Another

2630452-car4.JPG (1011 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23039
05/16/06 06:27 PM
05/16/06 06:27 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

Quote:

Man that is amazing. I like the multitone paint job. On the note of metallic here is an idea. What about laying down 2 coats of color by roller. Followed by a coat of clear metallic followed by more color. If you layered it right it could even give a depth illusion due to varying intensity of reflection. Obviously you wouldn't sand the clear metallic coats.

Eric

Interesting idea. I may consider that on my test door. However, I'm not really made of money and I love the looks so far so I might not. But somebody should.

Exit: Your pictures before are of the almond color, correct? I'm trying to get something as close to this as possible:

Any ideas from the rusto custom colors? I know almond's not quite it though...
This might show the color better:

Looks great. Is that a stock rustoleum color or did you use the tintable base?

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: roe] #23040
05/16/06 06:31 PM
05/16/06 06:31 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

its not rustoleum its factory paint or w/e...he's asking if there is a rustoleum tint closes to this color

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Man that is amazing. I like the multitone paint job. On the note of metallic here is an idea. What about laying down 2 coats of color by roller. Followed by a coat of clear metallic followed by more color. If you layered it right it could even give a depth illusion due to varying intensity of reflection. Obviously you wouldn't sand the clear metallic coats.

Eric

Interesting idea. I may consider that on my test door. However, I'm not really made of money and I love the looks so far so I might not. But somebody should.

Exit: Your pictures before are of the almond color, correct? I'm trying to get something as close to this as possible:

Looks great. Is that a stock rustoleum color or did you use the tintable base?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23041
05/16/06 07:44 PM
05/16/06 07:44 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

its not rustoleum its factory paint or w/e...he's asking if there is a rustoleum tint closes to this color

Oops, I just read it wrong.

Hey for all you guys talking about getting the shine back and getting rid of the spiderweb/micro scratches, I proposed a hypothetical a while back.

Many guys here have said that when they lay on a very thin coat it goes on perfectly smooth with no orange peel or roller lines. After doing the paint process as described (2 coats, wetsand, 2 more coats, wetsand, etc...), has/will anyone try laying on a very thin final coat that will lay flat and not require wetsanding? That way the paint will retain its glossiness and still be smooth, and then move on to polishing/waxing etc. Could somebody maybe try this on a small test piece to see what happens?

I would try it myself but Im in a dorm room and dont have anywhere to to try it, or anything to try it on since all of my car stuff is in another city. If no one tries it before I get a chance to go home one of these weekends, I will try it and see what happens and then post some results to let you guys know how it turns out.

roe

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: roe] #23042
05/16/06 09:04 PM
05/16/06 09:04 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hey for all you guys talking about getting the shine back and getting rid of the spiderweb/micro scratches, I proposed a hypothetical a while back.

Many guys here have said that when they lay on a very thin coat it goes on perfectly smooth with no orange peel or roller lines. After doing the paint process as described (2 coats, wetsand, 2 more coats, wetsand, etc...), has/will anyone try laying on a very thin final coat that will lay flat and not require wetsanding? That way the paint will retain its glossiness and still be smooth, and then move on to polishing/waxing etc. Could somebody maybe try this on a small test piece to see what happens?

I would try it myself but Im in a dorm room and dont have anywhere to to try it, or anything to try it on since all of my car stuff is in another city. If no one tries it before I get a chance to go home one of these weekends, I will try it and see what happens and then post some results to let you guys know how it turns out.

roe

It's not a matter of the paint laying flat, it is a matter of tiny imperfections that occur on the paint surface (dust, hair, you name it).

If someone took precautions and got lucky and didn't have anything land in the paint, that would be very good and they should leave it like that, but if not you will have to go over it with something to get the junk out. Then apparently you can polish it back to a great shine.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23043
05/16/06 10:06 PM
05/16/06 10:06 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

Quote:

roe

It's not a matter of the paint laying flat, it is a matter of tiny imperfections that occur on the paint surface (dust, hair, you name it).

If someone took precautions and got lucky and didn't have anything land in the paint, that would be very good and they should leave it like that, but if not you will have to go over it with something to get the junk out. Then apparently you can polish it back to a great shine.

That makes sense. I'll still try it though, as soon as I get a chance, and I'll let you guys know how much trouble I have with debris in the paint.

roe

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: roe] #23044
05/16/06 11:21 PM
05/16/06 11:21 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Lessons learned...

I did 4 coats and after wet sanding #4 I looked at the reflections of some lights at various angles. Horrible, horrible orange peel. (Honestly, no worse than my '97 Firebird factory paint, but GM factory paint ain't exactly a goal to shoot for!)

Tried sanding with 400 wet and it didn't improve things much.

PROFANITY REFERENCE DELETED and took it down with 320 dry... then 400 wet, then 600 wet. Now the reflection is clear and sharp, zero peel, but I've effectively lost two coats judging by how much the stock paint shows through in some areas.

Pretty sure I laid it on too thick on the first and second coat. Ah well, paint's cheap and the labor is free, so hopefully I'll do better from now on.

Not sure how to advice avoiding this, but wiping down with mineral spirits after wet sanding and looking at the reflection of a fluorescent light really makes the imperfections clear.

Just my $.02, hoping it'll help somebody.

Last edited by ZIPPY; 05/23/06 12:00 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23045
05/17/06 12:09 AM
05/17/06 12:09 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Just put on my 5th coat. I seem to have more trouble with the horizontal surfaces than the vertical ones. I've noticed a few spots on the decklid and hood where it's not as shiny as the rest of the paint there, so I was too stingy (probably unconsciously trying to avoid orange peel like I had to sand off after my first 2 coats..). By the way in case you can't see, it's still see through. but it's definately getting there.

But as Moose says, labor (and sweat, in a 93 degree garage!) is "free". And I'm only about 1.25 quarts in paint-wise.

Heres some pics I just took..

Re: paint job on a budget!? #23046
05/17/06 12:17 AM
05/17/06 12:17 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Lessons learned...

I did 4 coats and after wet sanding #4 I looked at the reflections of some lights at various angles. Horrible, horrible orange peel. (Honestly, no worse than my '97 Firebird factory paint, but GM factory paint ain't exactly a goal to shoot for!)

Tried sanding with 400 wet and it didn't improve things much.

Ended up saying F it and took it down with 320 dry... then 400 wet, then 600 wet. Now the reflection is clear and sharp, zero peel, but I've effectively lost two coats judging by how much the stock paint shows through in some areas.

Pretty sure I laid it on too thick on the first and second coat. Ah well, paint's cheap and the labor is free, so hopefully I'll do better from now on.

Not sure how to advice avoiding this, but wiping down with mineral spirits after wet sanding and looking at the reflection of a fluorescent light really makes the imperfections clear.

Just my $.02, hoping it'll help somebody.

Thats exactly what i did, i got away with wet 400. now its wet 600, and ill prolly put a coat on tomorrow morning and go from there

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: paint job on a budget!? #23047
05/17/06 02:50 AM
05/17/06 02:50 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

did anybody apply the paint with a turbine sprayer?? like those mobile repair guys??

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #23048
05/17/06 09:30 AM
05/17/06 09:30 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Exit... it's turning out really good, man!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: roe] #23049
05/17/06 04:17 PM
05/17/06 04:17 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

nice color! from the list here http://www.expresspaint.com/productcart/pc/step3.asp

not sure if its a 99yr model but it looks like its the Moonlight or Mesa Beige Metallic...theres a few others that looks similiar too..02 model would be Champagne Beige Metallic.

rust-oleum is tintable? i was looking at some at home-depo and the man said he can tint it...

Last edited by Cal96; 05/17/06 07:02 PM.
Page 78 of 85 1 2 76 77 78 79 80 84 85