Arizona
D
DPS_1 Offline OP
enthusiast
DPS_1  Offline OP
enthusiast
D

Arizona
I took the time to completely remove my 1970 Challenger dash, and install a brand new under the dash wiring harness. I also installed new wiring harnesses in the engine compartment. Unfortunately, after placing the dash frame back in place I have run into some problems with the operation of the dash instrument features.

Here is the current status:
Clock - operational
Alternator - operational
Wipers - operational
Temp Gauge - operational
AC/Heater/Blower - appears to operate - AC system is not charged
Headlights/Hi-Beams - operational
Convertible Top - operational

Oil pressure gauge - Not operating
Gas Gauge - Not operating
Speedometer - not operating [maybe broken cable]
Tach - not operating
Directional signals - engaging signal lever results in wild swing from charge to discharge on Alternator gauge
Dash Panel Dimmer - Not operational

I got under the dash yesterday and verified the Rallye Dash Voltage Limiter and condenser were in place correctly. I believe the this Voltage limiter and condenser are correct for 1970. The jumper wire inter connect harness looks to correctly linked.

I was able to verify wire continuity for the Fuel Gauge Dark Blue wire to the inside wiring harness to the fire wall.

I was able to verify the wire continuity for the Oil Pressure Gauge [Gray wire] is linked correctly to the inside wiring harness to the fire wall.

I was able to verify the wire from the under dash wire harness connects to the Voltage limiter with a Black Slide on connector was in place.

I went back to inspect the wire connects for the the Temperature, Alternator, Oil Pressure, and Fuel gauges to determine if the color coding for those gauges were correct. All interconnects based upon color coding looks correct.

After some maneuvering below the dash [not ease for an old guy], I was able to check the cable connection for the Dash Panel for the Lights, Convertible top, Wipers, and Dimmer Switches. All looks good. As I noted, the dimmer switch does not work [No variability of lights on the Dash and Rallye bar.

I looked at Tachometer wiring and noted the dark blue wire slip on was correct. However, the other connection slide on was a Red wire with gray strips. According to the Service manual, both wires were to be blue. Of course, improvements can take place.

I had checked the instrument Dash Switch Panel prior to installation. I believe I was able to verify operation of all the switches via an ohmmeter. I know the Convertible Top, Lights, and Wiper switches work.

So, here is what I will conclude [yeah I made a mistake some where along the way]. There are several problem areas. First, the directional signals are links with a ground somewhere. Second, I will guess there maybe no power to the dimmer switch.

The question now is, where did I go wrong. Where should I look to correct the problem.

I look forward to your recommendations.

Contact info dpsuozzi@gmail.com or by phone at 520-885-176

Thanks
Peter

Last edited by DPS_1; 05/13/17 03:49 PM.
Re: New E-Body Wiring Harness Installation [Re: DPS_1] #2304527
05/14/17 09:35 PM
05/14/17 09:35 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
this might not be much help but I would trace out each circuit one at a time. I'm thinking some stuff is miswired from the symptoms. EDIT www.mymopar.com has diagrams that are "fairly" comprehensive.

Last edited by RapidRobert; 05/14/17 09:51 PM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: New E-Body Wiring Harness Installation [Re: DPS_1] #2304706
05/15/17 04:00 AM
05/15/17 04:00 AM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
http://www.classiccarwiring.com/. I have this one. Can be very helpful. Much easier than Mopar black/white diagrams.

Another supplier. Have never used so unaware of quality.

http://kwikwire.com/chrysler-wiring-diagram-fully-laminated-poster/