05/11/06 10:27 PM
05/11/06 10:27 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

well, yes I ma not exactly happy.. I can live with replacing the door and the gas cap.. already did the gas cap and got the door on order.. but a !@#! DENT?! come on... well, more of a crease.. that is hard to get to.. Only uneducated deviants with incompetent parents would find amusement in destroying other people's property. Who ever did it is a piece of garbage. That's it.. I am calling INS.. that should get everyone deported except me.

On a sunny note you can see how well the Stops-Rust paint held up.. it didnt chip or crack.. it just got dirty from the greasy mess on the gas lid. You can also see my soft velvet wet sanding.. looks so yummie I could eat it.

I doubt I will be putting my rims on anytime soon!

-Serpent

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22971
05/11/06 10:29 PM
05/11/06 10:29 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Exit- congrats on the car! it is going to look HOT!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22972
05/11/06 10:52 PM
05/11/06 10:52 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Rest of the pictures are here: http://www.controlledspin.com/~mike/PICTURES/240z/

How did you do the different paint? Did you do a base and then paint on top of it with the new color? I want to put stripes on my car.. not stickers.. I hate those..

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22973
05/11/06 10:53 PM
05/11/06 10:53 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

well, yes I ma not exactly happy.. I can live with replacing the door and the gas cap.. already did the gas cap and got the door on order.. but a !@#! DENT?! come on... well, more of a crease.. that is hard to get to.. Only uneducated deviants with incompetent parents would find amusement in destroying other people's property. Who ever did it is a piece of garbage. That's it.. I am calling INS.. that should get everyone deported except me.

On a sunny note you can see how well the Stops-Rust paint held up.. it didnt chip or crack.. it just got dirty from the greasy mess on the gas lid. You can also see my soft velvet wet sanding.. looks so yummie I could eat it.

I doubt I will be putting my rims on anytime soon!

-Serpent

But the real question is: What kind of person steals a gas door and cap?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22974
05/11/06 11:19 PM
05/11/06 11:19 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Interesting idea. I may consider that on my test door. However, I'm not really made of money and I love the looks so far so I might not. But somebody should.

Exit: Your pictures before are of the almond color, correct? I'm trying to get something as close to this as possible:

yeah they were almond.. not anywhere close to that bronze color really. The closest thing I see is "light olive" but that isn't really that close either.. maybe they can mix something up for you..

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22975
05/11/06 11:24 PM
05/11/06 11:24 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Here's a picture after coat #2.. I did have to wetsand in specific areas where the paint laid on too thick the first time (and i could scratch it with my nail too in these areas ).

it still has that burled mahogany look going on..

if I can pull off 2 coats/day this weekend it should be a solid color by saturday.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22976
05/12/06 12:02 AM
05/12/06 12:02 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Compressor for sanding? I WISH! I sanded this whole [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] car by hand with a tiny sanding block!

As far as separating the colors and such, I used some blue masking tape! I just tapes it off and painted one color, then changed the tape around after the other color dried. For the stripes I just used a can of rustoleum spray paint

If I worked straight through and wasn't learning as I went I think I could have had it all done in about 7 days. It ended up taking me about 2 weeks of painting and 1 week or sanding off my mistakes.

Polishing...I sanded with 1500g wet sand paper and that went pretty good. I tried some expensive 3M rubbing compound to rub it out and I wasn't satisifed. I took the advice of this thread and went and bought the cheap-[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] turtle wax rubbing compound AND polishing compound. I did the whole car with the polishing compound and the areas that didn't polish out very well I went back over with the hard-core rubbing compound to help it out.

The white paint came out GREAT and looks as good as any $1500 paint job. The red paint didn't polish out so well and doesn't shine as well, but it's not too bad, about as good as a $500-700 job. The red actually looked a lot better before I went sanded it smooth, it just had defects in it

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22977
05/12/06 12:03 AM
05/12/06 12:03 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Oh...and for wet sanding I didn't mask anything off, I just used two different sets of paper when I did the white and the red, it didn't much the lines at all as long as I was careful

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22978
05/12/06 12:33 AM
05/12/06 12:33 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Jagd, shouldn't the red be able to shine as well as it did before, if you get the surface smooth enough? if you view it in the sun, can you see bunches of very small scratches? I wonder if some swirl remover or more time with the polisher would get the surface scratch free and shiny again..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22979
05/12/06 01:40 AM
05/12/06 01:40 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Took some daylight shots today, this is just one coat, needs another coat, then wetsand, repeat, blah blah..
Looks pretty good IMO. The reflections of the trees and such are about 30ft away, I can't wait till I get it finished!

Hey, where'd that giant dent go?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22980
05/12/06 02:37 AM
05/12/06 02:37 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Jagd that looks great, I like the fact that you were willing to experiment and try a multi-color scheme. Impressive work. Quick question for you though... did the spray bomb strips polish up nicely?

Good luck to everyone else who has started... Exit it is coming along nicely.

Keep the pics and updates coming everyone.

Last edited by cyberbackpacker; 05/12/06 02:43 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #22981
05/12/06 02:44 AM
05/12/06 02:44 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

I will be on my 6th coat of paint tomorrow morning on my hood. After that 6th coat i wetsand it with 2000grit and then polish correct?

I have this polisher, its brand new. Will this work ok? low speed is 1400rpm it says. Pleasseee tell me i can use it

This polisher

Thanks

Question

Also I've finished my 5th coat. For my 6th, and final. Should i wetsand the 5th coat with 1500grit, Paint the last coat, and hit that with 2000wet before i polish. That sound ok?

And then just still my question above..
Thanks!

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #22982
05/12/06 08:55 AM
05/12/06 08:55 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

I will be on my 6th coat of paint tomorrow morning on my hood. After that 6th coat i wetsand it with 2000grit and then polish correct?

I have this polisher, its brand new. Will this work ok? low speed is 1400rpm it says. Pleasseee tell me i can use it

This polisher

Thanks

Question

Also I've finished my 5th coat. For my 6th, and final. Should i wetsand the 5th coat with 1500grit, Paint the last coat, and hit that with 2000wet before i polish. That sound ok?

And then just still my question above..
Thanks!

The medium cut compound I got at an auto body supply store (evercoat medium duty rubbing compound) says your 1450 RPM should be fine. I dont have any experience with them but I've heard rotary polishers like yours can do damage if not used properly (not sure what "properly" means, but I've heard that type of polisher is less forgiving than an orbital polisher).

GTSDave has one similar to that, maybe he'll chime in with pointers..
at least if it's a hood and it gets messed up, another coat is easy to do..
/ 2 ..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22983
05/12/06 10:02 AM
05/12/06 10:02 AM
PA
KGorney Offline
top fuel
KGorney  Offline
top fuel

PA
What is evryone using for polishing after the final 2000 grit wetsand?
I used Turtle Wax polish but it doesn't seem to have the depth that I am seeing in a lot of these photos.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22984
05/12/06 10:52 AM
05/12/06 10:52 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

...if you view it in the sun, can you see bunches of very small scratches? I wonder if some swirl remover or more time with the polisher would get the surface scratch free and shiny again..

I tried rolling then spraying...seemed to lay down ok just much orange peel. Now the problem, buffing causes scratching. A friend of mine who is a "pro" says it's because there is no hardener...the paint will stay soft causing it to be almost unbuffable...probably ok for "budget paint"...i guess I was expecting too much.

Since I painted the whole car, today I am learning to use "aircraft stripper" !! Chuck

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22985
05/12/06 11:23 AM
05/12/06 11:23 AM
Amarillo, Texas
BBR Offline
master
BBR  Offline
master

Amarillo, Texas
Good Lord, I just looked through this thread and felt like I had logged onto a different site. LOL Soooo many new names.

I'm gonna *really* look hard into this for the Ranger.

Drag Week 2011 - 77th place - DD
Drag Week 2012 - 2nd place SRBB N/A
Drag Week 2014 - Kapooya
RMRW 2018
RMRW 2020
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22986
05/12/06 11:52 AM
05/12/06 11:52 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

...if you view it in the sun, can you see bunches of very small scratches? I wonder if some swirl remover or more time with the polisher would get the surface scratch free and shiny again..

I tried rolling then spraying...seemed to lay down ok just much orange peel. Now the problem, buffing causes scratching. A friend of mine who is a "pro" says it's because there is no hardener...the paint will stay soft causing it to be almost unbuffable...probably ok for "budget paint"...i guess I was expecting too much.

Since I painted the whole car, today I am learning to use "aircraft stripper" !! Chuck

That's unfortunate Chuck. I know there are varying definitions of "soft" but the thin layers put on correctly with a roller seem to be very hard. In my experience, the thicker a layer is the softer it feels.

I am hoping anyway that thin layers with plenty of dry time will result in a surface that can be buffed (or whatever takes the microscratches out). I did a small patch by hand with some swirl remover and even that showed an increase in shine. My bonnet was not staying put on my buffer or I would have spent more time on it with a machine, but the results by hand were promising.

if you look at pics posted by Admactanium and JeffS, you will see a nice shine there.

here is jeff's original post where he talked about buffing..

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=2539474&page=0&vc=1

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22987
05/12/06 12:14 PM
05/12/06 12:14 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The rattle can stripes seemed to polish out just as good as the rest of the paint.

Exit,

The red SHOULD polish out as good as the white, but I can't get it to. Thie white is the "PROFESSIONAL" and the red is the regular stuff, maybe that has something to do with it? The red had almost 3 weeks of drying time before I even wet sanded it. Some areas I wet sanded with 1500g 7 or 8 times and polished over and over and over again. In the light, I can see tons of microscratches in it. Thie white paint is nice and glossy and smooth, in fact I hardly did any wetsanding and it looks good. I could work at it more and get it to look even better, but my right arm is still recovering

My plan now is to let it "cure" for a while and then try it again. If it doesn't come out to where I'm happy, I'll eventually sand it off and maybe just go all white

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22988
05/12/06 12:36 PM
05/12/06 12:36 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

..here is jeff's original post where he talked about buffing...

The white seems ok...but it's just not as smooth as what I originally expected. Pictures can be deceiving because they don't show the "orange peel" when they're shrunk down to a jpeg.

...besides, he mentions waxing the car, and when I talked to the local auto paint store, they said no waxing on any type of paint for several months because it seals the paint and doesn't allow proper drying time...that would seem to compound the problem to me...

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22989
05/12/06 03:37 PM
05/12/06 03:37 PM
venice, ca
A
admactanium Offline
admactanium  Offline
A

venice, ca
Quote:

The red SHOULD polish out as good as the white, but I can't get it to. Thie white is the "PROFESSIONAL" and the red is the regular stuff, maybe that has something to do with it? The red had almost 3 weeks of drying time before I even wet sanded it. Some areas I wet sanded with 1500g 7 or 8 times and polished over and over and over again. In the light, I can see tons of microscratches in it. Thie white paint is nice and glossy and smooth, in fact I hardly did any wetsanding and it looks good. I could work at it more and get it to look even better, but my right arm is still recovering

i think it's your polishing technique/products. white will always look better because it doesn't show scratches or swirling hardly at all. the darker colors are harder to buff out properly and i'd suspect that you won't be able to buff out 1500grit marks fully by hand. if you could work up to 2000 gt and then 3000 gt you might be able to polish it by hand. otherwise you'll need to use some sort of buffer. either an orbital or rotary. rotaries, however, can be very dangerous to your paint and can burn through.

my advice on the polishing is that if you're not going to buy a proper polisher (and more importantly, good pads) then you're going to have a tough time of it. if you're not experienced with rotaries, i'd stay away from them and try to do it with an orbital instead since they're much less dangerous to your finish. most rotaries come with a cheap backing plate and a wool sleeve type thing. if you don't have further pads to do finer polishing you're just going to end up with hazy paint.

back on page 28 i did a test part and polished it up really nice. but i have a ton of weird polishing products for my cars already.
check it out, about halfway down the page.

page 28

Page 75 of 85 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 84 85