05/11/06 11:18 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey Exit
I still wander about Penetrol. I know that you did try in a test area, and never dried completely. But the same happened with all your test areas, except the last one. I still think that could be a good idea. Do you think that the paint did not dry because the Penetrol? or was because the application.
Have anybody else had any experience with Penetrol?

Re: Color #22951
05/11/06 11:34 AM
05/11/06 11:34 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm doing dark blue on my eclipse spyder. It looks great. I'll post pictures of the piece I have with the most coats on later. It's on coat number Three, wetsanded after coat 2.

It's a nice color. Pictures when I'm home from work.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22952
05/11/06 11:50 AM
05/11/06 11:50 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Oh, dark blue, this I would really like to see. This is the color I would like to use on my daily driver if it looks good. How is it turing out so far? Please Please do post pics

Last edited by Smite; 05/11/06 11:53 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22953
05/11/06 11:57 AM
05/11/06 11:57 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hey Exit
I still wander about Penetrol. I know that you did try in a test area, and never dried completely. But the same happened with all your test areas, except the last one. I still think that could be a good idea. Do you think that the paint did not dry because the Penetrol? or was because the application.

The test area I tried with penetrol, I laid it on really thick, and the paint mixture itself was really thick, so that's why it didn't dry.

The penetrol is more of a light oil consistency where the mineral spirits are like water. I think if you used penetrol and could thin it to the point where goes on smooth but does not run, it should work. But I've said it before, Im not sure of the real advantage of using penetrol. Adhesion and leveling is not an issue. When done correctly, the mineral spirits adhere and lay as flat as can be once dry. I tried to scratch an area of my dart this morning (on the trunk lid behind where the big trim panel will go) and it's rock hard after 10 hours overnight.

The possible benefit I can think of is that you can put more paint on, and because it levels out, you can get away with heavier coats. But then i'd be worried about that coat curing properly if it's that thick.

I have a barely used can of penetrol. I think I'll try it out on my engine bay and see if I can get it to look good and be tough after 2 or 3 coats..

The guy who originally used it on a VW (if I remember right) has not been heard from since, but he said he used only 3 coats.

As for sanding small areas, just dont spend much time sanding them especially edges because the paint will come off quick. for my door jambs, I probably wont spend much time wetsanding at all since that's not a critical area to look perfectly glossy and smooth.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22954
05/11/06 12:48 PM
05/11/06 12:48 PM
PA
KGorney Offline
top fuel
KGorney  Offline
top fuel

PA
Quote:

Hey Exit

I used penetrol and I really didn't notice a difference, other than the mixture was thicker. It still laid down.
I think Penetrol would make a difference if you were spraying it. In fact, I plan to spray jambs, trunk, etc and use Penetrol to thin the Rustoleum.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22955
05/11/06 01:08 PM
05/11/06 01:08 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

I have a question about wet sanding and pollishing. How do you wet sand and pollish edges, small areas, small (1-2 inch) convex trim, door jams, pillars, etc?

Any color of paint you can get in a can, you can get in a spray paint can. For my jams and such..im just gonna spray bomb it

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #22956
05/11/06 02:33 PM
05/11/06 02:33 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I've been gone for about 20 pages of this thread, but I wanted to come back and put some pictures up of my final work.

I found that the "PROFESSIONAL" Rustoleum worked out much better than the regular stuff. No chipping, flaking, etc. and it's holding up fine (about 3 weeks so far of use)

Here's some shots of the car before and after:

~230HP and 2100lbs

Rest of the pictures are here: http://www.controlledspin.com/~mike/PICTURES/240z/

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22957
05/11/06 03:30 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Amazing Job! I can't to get started on my CRX, nice to see everyone bringing some results to the table now. Looking forward to seeing Exits dart finished, I've been following some of the info hes been providing us since some of the earlier pages and want to see how he finishes up his dart.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22958
New Orleans, LA
B
Big_Easy_68cuda Offline
Big_Easy_68cuda  Offline
B

New Orleans, LA
Man that is amazing. I like the multitone paint job. On the note of metallic here is an idea. What about laying down 2 coats of color by roller. Followed by a coat of clear metallic followed by more color. If you layered it right it could even give a depth illusion due to varying intensity of reflection. Obviously you wouldn't sand the clear metallic coats.

Eric

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22959
05/11/06 04:02 PM
05/11/06 04:02 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Looks awesome Jagd! What sanding method did you use on it, and what kind of polishing did it get?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22960
05/11/06 04:04 PM
05/11/06 04:04 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

As for sanding small areas, just dont spend much time sanding them especially edges because the paint will come off quick. for my door jambs, I probably wont spend much time wetsanding at all since that's not a critical area to look perfectly glossy and smooth.

So it is possible to use an electric buffer to polish the pillars between the door and front windsheild, as well as round trim? I would just be afraid of it buring through on the high spots or not being able to get the polisher in there.

I do also realise that spray bomb can be used for door jambs and such, I will keep that in mind.

Any other ideas on how to wet sand/polish these hard to access areas that must be wet sanded and polished?

BTW, Jagdstealth, that car looking AMAZING, I can't believe thats been rolled!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22961
05/11/06 05:18 PM
05/11/06 05:18 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
I will be on my 6th coat of paint tomorrow morning on my hood. After that 6th coat i wetsand it with 2000grit and then polish correct?

I have this polisher, its brand new. Will this work ok? low speed is 1400rpm it says. Pleasseee tell me i can use it

This polisher

Thanks

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22962
05/11/06 06:09 PM
05/11/06 06:09 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

JagdStealth
"Nice job" how long did you take for the whole paint job?
And what product did you use for the separation of the colors didnt wet sanding wear it off/down?
thanx

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22963
05/11/06 06:27 PM
05/11/06 06:27 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Check this out guys! I am soooooooo...."happy..."

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22964
05/11/06 06:45 PM
05/11/06 06:45 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Man what are you happy about!?..Someone just ripped your gas filler lid and cap off and give you a good dent and your happy! It must take alot to get you going

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22965
05/11/06 06:47 PM
05/11/06 06:47 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
wooooohooooooo, finally exit is painting!!!!

and that "Z", very nice, finally see some results, it just makes this whole thread worth it for me, i love sharing the info, and then seeing the results.. awesome job guys.

funny how it took what.....37 pages of convincing for you guys to get the jewels to do it!!!!!!!!!!!

i bet in the begining, you guys were like, ya....ok.....paint with a roller.....gggreat.!!!

funny thing just happened, i was out in the garage, getting stuff ready to go to the cottage, and i have a torque wrench on the top shelf (250ft/pd, about 30" long in a case) and about 5 new oil filters on it that just fell about 4ft onto the hood of my charger, it hit soooooo hard i did'nt want to look, made me ........guess what???? not a mark.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22966
05/11/06 07:18 PM
05/11/06 07:18 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

everyone here use a compressor am i correct? omg, i just finish sandish a fender and its tiring!im trying to remove some old clear that has been peeling so its has to go!
is there an electrical sand machine... i can borrow from a like home depo? fee? possible?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22967
05/11/06 07:29 PM
05/11/06 07:29 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

everyone here use a compressor am i correct? omg, i just finish sandish a fender and its tiring!im trying to remove some old clear that has been peeling so its has to go!
is there an electrical sand machine... i can borrow from a like home depo? fee? possible?

i've had good results using a $10 palm sander to prep the bulk of the car, then do the edges and countoured areas by hand.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Big_Easy_68cuda] #22968
05/11/06 08:14 PM
05/11/06 08:14 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Man that is amazing. I like the multitone paint job. On the note of metallic here is an idea. What about laying down 2 coats of color by roller. Followed by a coat of clear metallic followed by more color. If you layered it right it could even give a depth illusion due to varying intensity of reflection. Obviously you wouldn't sand the clear metallic coats.

Eric

Interesting idea. I may consider that on my test door. However, I'm not really made of money and I love the looks so far so I might not. But somebody should.

Exit: Your pictures before are of the almond color, correct? I'm trying to get something as close to this as possible:

Any ideas from the rusto custom colors? I know almond's not quite it though...
This might show the color better:

Re: Color #22969
05/11/06 09:17 PM
05/11/06 09:17 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

http://www.novaslp.net/pics/v/newcar2/paint/

The first pictures there (outside) are after 3 coats before I wet sanded for the second time. The last 2 pictures on paper are in my garage after the wet sand (got rid of orange peel and runs) and I had rolled on another coat. It flattens out really well when it dries. You just have to make sure the rustoleum is as thin as water. It's a pain because it tends to run. The spoiler is done with non professional and I don't notice any chipping or flaking. I'm using professional on the main car (97 eclipse spyder gst) and have 2 coats on so far.

I used the rattle can royal blue to do door jams, underside of hood, underside of trunk and the trunk jam (it's hard to get to with a roller, the color matches perfect.

Thanks so much. I was going to get a maaco job then ran across this thread at work. I had to buy everything I needed and I'm at like 75 for the pint of non pro, a gallon of pro, and all rollers and brushes.

I have been reusing my roller between coats with no problem. I rinse it in mineral spirits before I start though.

Make sure you thin the paint enough or you get bubbles you have to blow on. I have a compressor system in my garage that I was using to hit it after I'd roll. It worked just fine and yes there is an oil filter in it.

Go for blue it looks awesome almost a candy color. I thought it would be much darker. I was trying to go for nissan 350z daytona blue and man is this close.

I can't wait to finish and polish. When I'm all done charger your so getting cash in the mail

Page 74 of 85 1 2 72 73 74 75 76 84 85