05/07/06 11:43 PM
05/07/06 11:43 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yeah, I was wondering about the roller. Here is what I'm using.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22891
05/08/06 02:06 AM
05/08/06 02:06 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey exit about the spray can. do you think the paint is as durable as the one in the can? Reason I ask is because I have to sand some spots back down to do body work. I don't want to have to roll those small areas, I'd rather spray, then go over a coupe timies with the roller.

Odorless #22892
05/08/06 06:30 AM
05/08/06 06:30 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Looks like the same that I used..

My test paint job I used the odorless also...but when I do the actual project (a 1976 Bug and a Ford F-150...I also have a 99 Dodge Charger(so I am part mopar), I will use the regular mineral spirits...

I did have bubbles but they self popped and the paint leveled in about an hour.

I read this whole forum and they said that the odorless doesn't harden as quick and would take longer to cure. By the way did you see my test fender...came out really well..

Re: Finished!! #22893
05/08/06 08:44 AM
05/08/06 08:44 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

cabledog... that came out really nice!!
I'm getting very close to starting on my dune buggy. My first test a couple of months ago didn't live up to my expectations. I had similar results as Exit's original fingernail test. I know I didn't prep the metal well and slathered it on too thick...
You guys have been diligently working out the process and the results are looking good. Congrats.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22894
05/08/06 09:10 AM
05/08/06 09:10 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hey exit about the spray can. do you think the paint is as durable as the one in the can? Reason I ask is because I have to sand some spots back down to do body work. I don't want to have to roll those small areas, I'd rather spray, then go over a coupe timies with the roller.

I'm not sure yet. Since I wanted to get full coverage on that area I spray painted, I put it on way too thick and it is scratchable but I'm sure it's due to the same thing that makes the other paint scratchable which is that the paint underneath the top cannot cure since the top has dried.

if I had put it on thin like the instructions say, and give it time between coats, I think it would be fine. Other people on this thread talked about stuff they spray painted with rustoleum and how those things are holding up fine to abuse.

I think 69charger has done some re-rollering on small areas, you might try that. If you put it on thin enough you can probably wetsand around it to feather it in, and it would come out nice..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22895
05/08/06 12:58 PM
05/08/06 12:58 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Greetings all!

I like many others, it would seem, have been directed here from other forums and I am going to paint my old beater in this manner. I was planning on spraying it but I think I will give the roller a try.

BTW the proper technique for laying down a good spray job using spray cans is detailed here in this modeling tutorial: http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1302141D

I understand that it is for a model car but the procedure is similar. You can pick out DYI sprayed paint jobs on real cars by the variation in shine where you see both flat and gloss areas. This tutorial show’s how to avoid that and the reason that I like the idea of a rolled on finish is that it would make for a more uniform finish.

Oh and a couple more thoughts I had.

First don’t confuse the product marked “Paint Thinner” with “Mineral Spirits”. I believe paint thinner contains mineral spirits but is not as pure as the item marked “Mineral Spirits” and usually contains other products. I have used “Paint Thinner” in the past to thin enamel paint only to find that it curdled the paint.

I once purchased a MGB project from a collector. On his restorations, he told me, all he used on the underside of his vehicles was Tremclad/Rustoleum and never had problems with rust reappearing. I now use this on the underside on my cars and have had great success. It doesn’t suffer as badly from rust creep like POR-15 does. I have also used Zero Rust – it’s a much better product - but found it to takes a long time to cure to a satisfactory hardness.

What excites me about this technique is that you can take an ordinary car and for only a few bucks is make it a personal statement. I look forward to seeing more flames, racing stripes, and other wacked out paint jobs. For my ride I am thinking of a tribute to the mid nineties Mclaren Formula one cars painted in the Marlborough colors. Only problem is I doubt I can find the proper fluorescent red.

Doesn’t Tremcald or Rustoelum make a Chrome coloured paint, wouldn’t that look cool?

Re: Finished!! #22896
05/08/06 07:19 PM
05/08/06 07:19 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Forgot to mention...this was not rust-oleum paint. I went to the local Do-It-Best hardware store and purchased some Alkyd Industrial Enamel and had it tinted to the color I wanted...

Came out turquoise..just the color I wanted!!

from what ive read... the tint ones turn yellow if its doesnt get sunshine...

Color #22897
05/08/06 07:40 PM
05/08/06 07:40 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Does anyone have any pictures of the royal blue or smoke grey? I'm trying to decide on one of three colors for my 94 Integra...

Either a deep, dark blue...
Gloss black...
Or Gunmetal.

I prefer to do gunmetal but I don't know if rustoleum can quite "do" that. Any ideas on what this looks like/if anyone's tried it? Smoke grey might have a shot...

Re: Finished!! #22898
05/08/06 08:35 PM
05/08/06 08:35 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Forgot to mention...this was not rust-oleum paint. I went to the local Do-It-Best hardware store and purchased some Alkyd Industrial Enamel and had it tinted to the color I wanted...

Came out turquoise..just the color I wanted!!

from what ive read... the tint ones turn yellow if its doesnt get sunshine...

Well I have mine in a carport with no sun...gonna let it set awhile and we'll see. Can't start the other projects just yet...next month for sure...so by then I should know if it turns...

Re: Color #22899
05/08/06 08:49 PM
05/08/06 08:49 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hmm... same year I have. Post pics when you can. Here's mine with a Rusto black hood.

Here it is with the first red coat as of last night:

I just put down a second coat, but don't have pics of that yet.

Last edited by IntegraGuy; 05/08/06 08:51 PM.
Re: Color #22900
05/08/06 09:57 PM
05/08/06 09:57 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey guys, I just put on my first coat of Rusto paint. It came out very nicely but I am getting some mixed results here..

I mixed it to where it was almost as thin as water. I could spalsh it on the side of the bucket I was mixing in, and it would run off and leave a little film. So I started rolling on, lots of bubbles, but they popped before I could even blow on them. So I was like woohoo, I'm doing good. After rolling smoothly over the paint it started covering the hood solidly and wasn't letting any paint bleed through. I was like wtf? I was putting it on super thin, and it still did it. So I was like oh well, screw the rules and I did the whole hood. It came out nice and that was about 2 hours ago and it's pretty tacky still, but it isn't wet. Input on this problem? Is it even a problem? There is nothing else wrong, it stuck perfect and just had the normal orange peel.

Also, I had to use Rustoleum Pro, since that is all our Lowes had. It said on the back to thin with Acetone, but I used mineral spirits anyways. It worked fine, but does anyone have any input? I'll have to see what it looks like in the morning.

Should I just do three coats with wetsand in between since it went on so dark for some reason?

Is it ok to re-use the paint after I mixed it?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Kahuna; 05/08/06 10:11 PM.
Re: Color #22901
05/08/06 10:17 PM
05/08/06 10:17 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hey guys, I just put on my first coat of Rusto paint. It came out very nicely but I am getting some mixed results here..

I mixed it to where it was almost as thin as water. I could spalsh it on the side of the bucket I was mixing in, and it would run off and leave a little film. So I started rolling on, lots of bubbles, but they popped before I could even blow on them. So I was like woohoo, I'm doing good. After rolling smoothly over the paint it started covering the hood solidly and wasn't letting any paint bleed through. I was like wtf? I was putting it on super thin, and it still did it. So I was like oh well, screw the rules and I did the whole hood. It came out nice and that was about 2 hours ago and it's pretty tacky still, but it isn't wet. Input on this problem? Is it even a problem? There is nothing else wrong, it stuck perfect and just had the normal orange peel.

Also, I had to use Rustoleum Pro, since that is all our Lowes had. It said on the back to thin with Acetone, but I used mineral spirits anyways. It worked fine, but does anyone have any input? I'll have to see what it looks like in the morning.

Should I just do three coats with wetsand in between since it went on so dark for some reason?

Is it ok to re-use the paint after I mixed it?

Thanks a lot!

That sounds fine, see how it looks tomorrow and put another thin coat on, or go straight to 600 grit wetsanding and then another coat. Your choice.

Re: Color #22902
05/08/06 10:22 PM
05/08/06 10:22 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hmm... same year I have. Post pics when you can. Here's mine with a Rusto black hood.

Here it is with the first red coat as of last night:

I just put down a second coat, but don't have pics of that yet.

Well, here's a few pictures of it right now:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTIzODU5NjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTIzODU5NTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

She's blue, with a stock green front bumper (with some missing paint) and the passenger door I recently spray painted because it was milano red... had been replaced.

The paint as a whole is in awful shape, orange peel everywhere, runs, etc... so I want to redo all of it.

What do you think would be a good color, IntegraGuy? Knowing the scope of Rusto colors, and that I probably won't tint anything... so going with stock Rusto colors such as Royal Blue, Gloss Black, Smoke Grey, etc... what would you think?

-Sam

Btw I'm "Sottilde" on T-I if you're on that too.

Re: Color #22903
05/08/06 10:57 PM
05/08/06 10:57 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I can't see the pics, unfortunately. WeToddDid must not allow linking here. Anyway, I wondered what the Dark Purple or Sail Blue would look like. A local shop owner (Hai) has a ride that is a similiar color.

Re: Color #22904
05/08/06 11:04 PM
05/08/06 11:04 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Here is the second coat from tonight. It's looking much better than the black did. This stuff really lays down well. I had some waves in it when I finished, but 20 minutes later it was completely flat and shiny as can be. I think I'm getting the mixture figured out now.

Re: Odorless #22905
05/08/06 11:38 PM
05/08/06 11:38 PM
near Harrisburg, Pa
440trk Offline
master
440trk  Offline
master

near Harrisburg, Pa
Quote:

I also have a 99 Dodge Charger

me thinks that's either a typo, or you have a scaled model of the 99 concept car.

No disrespect intended...just poking a little fun.

I now return you to your previously scheduled paint post.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22906
05/09/06 12:22 AM
05/09/06 12:22 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Ok im back on the back on the banwagon with working on the duster. i need to ask how do you guys clean your roller and the tray out for reuse? thanx

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Cleaning [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #22907
05/09/06 06:50 AM
05/09/06 06:50 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I don't clean em...After the 1st coat I usally put the roller into a platic bag, squeeze out all the air and I can use it the second time. Then through it out and use another for the next two coats...and so on.

The tray I use mineral spirits and an old rag...just pour some mineral spirits in, use my foam brush and douse everything, pour into an old container with a lid..and wipe it down with the rag...cleans up pretty easy.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #22908
05/09/06 07:12 AM
05/09/06 07:12 AM
PA
KGorney Offline
top fuel
KGorney  Offline
top fuel

PA
I wrap the roller in a plastic bag then stick it in the freezer. Just take it out and give it a few minutes to thaw. I do this if I plan getting back to it the next day.
I have always used this method with house paint rollers and brushes.

Re: Color #22909
05/09/06 08:46 AM
05/09/06 08:46 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Does anyone have any pictures of the royal blue or smoke grey? I'm trying to decide on one of three colors for my 94 Integra...

Either a deep, dark blue...
Gloss black...
Or Gunmetal.

I prefer to do gunmetal but I don't know if rustoleum can quite "do" that. Any ideas on what this looks like/if anyone's tried it? Smoke grey might have a shot...

I dont have any pics of the smoke grey, but I bought a 1/2 pint and immediately took it back after I looked at it. It may as well be primer, it is the exact same color. The color on the label is a dark grey but the color itself was primer color.. no thanks.

As for cleaning I agree with dousing with mineral spirits, rolling around in the paint tray bumps, then squeezing with something that isn't going to leave lint on it. Then put it in a plastic ziplock bag or something and reuse it.

You can reuse the mineral spirits used for cleaning, just dump the whole mixture into a container and in a few days the paint is at the bottom and the mineral spirits at the top, then just pour the spirits off..

Page 71 of 85 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 84 85