05/06/06 10:50 AM
05/06/06 10:50 AM
Texas
T
texczech Offline
texczech  Offline
T

Texas
When using this method on old metal that has rusty pit marks on it, what can be used to try to fill these pitted areas? Maybe some type of primer or a finishing putty or some type? Maybe regular filler? Thanks.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: texczech] #22871
05/06/06 11:30 AM
05/06/06 11:30 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

When using this method on old metal that has rusty pit marks on it, what can be used to try to fill these pitted areas? Maybe some type of primer or a finishing putty or some type? Maybe regular filler? Thanks.

Just use regular filler but before you add the hardener, add a bit of fiberglass resin to the mix to thin the bondo a bit. Mix it in. Then add hardener, mix and apply. Thinning it like that will reduce pinholes and make it easy to apply to such small areas with these tiny imperfections. Rough with 80 then go to 180 to smooth out..

Re: After second coat #22872
05/06/06 11:37 AM
05/06/06 11:37 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

[quote
I used 1 cup paint (styrphome cup...disposible), 1/2 cup mineral spirits and 1/10 cup of penetrol..
checked it this morning and it smooth as glass..can't wait to wetsand...but gotta have my coffee first.....lol

Wow, that's around 30% spirits! I am using more like 15-20%.

Re: After second coat #22873
05/06/06 11:43 AM
05/06/06 11:43 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

[quote
I used 1 cup paint (styrphome cup...disposible), 1/2 cup mineral spirits and 1/10 cup of penetrol..
checked it this morning and it smooth as glass..can't wait to wetsand...but gotta have my coffee first.....lol

Wow, that's around 30% spirits! I am using more like 15-20%.

Thats with the penetrol added..i wanted to make sure I had good adhesion as the can says....

Last edited by Kycabledog; 05/06/06 11:45 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22874
05/06/06 06:26 PM
05/06/06 06:26 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I picked up my paint today from Lowes.. 4 quarts of safety red, and one spray can of it. I sprayed a part of my test door just to get an idea of the color (assuming the spray color is close or the same as the quarts).

It's most definately an orangish red, or a reddish orange, should look nice with a black hood..
Here it is with no sanding or anything, 5 minutes after spraying..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22875
05/06/06 06:58 PM
05/06/06 06:58 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yeah, the spray cans are definitely nice for applying the paint--it self-levels well enough out of the spraycan to go on very smooth. I have heard rumors that the spray can variety is not as durable as the canned stuff. Not sure if that's the case or not.

I just finished my third coat on my test hood (wetsanded this morning). I decided to thin the mixture a bit more as an experiment. I tried 3 parts paint to 1 part spirits (25% spirits). The first two coats I had used 5 parts paint to 1 part spirits or around 17% spirits. Whereas before I had no bubbles, today there were lots of bubbles. Bubbles everywhere. I was able to pop them by puffing on them with moderate force (felt like I'd pass out after a while and this is just the hood ). After the bubbles popped there were small globs of paint remaining where the bubbles had been. We'll see how that dries.

I think my conclusion from this is that 25% is too much spirits. I will try for 20% on the next coat and see if that is any better.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22876
05/06/06 09:05 PM
05/06/06 09:05 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Yeah, the spray cans are definitely nice for applying the paint--it self-levels well enough out of the spraycan to go on very smooth. I have heard rumors that the spray can variety is not as durable as the canned stuff. Not sure if that's the case or not.

I just finished my third coat on my test hood (wetsanded this morning). I decided to thin the mixture a bit more as an experiment. I tried 3 parts paint to 1 part spirits (25% spirits). The first two coats I had used 5 parts paint to 1 part spirits or around 17% spirits. Whereas before I had no bubbles, today there were lots of bubbles. Bubbles everywhere. I was able to pop them by puffing on them with moderate force (felt like I'd pass out after a while and this is just the hood ). After the bubbles popped there were small globs of paint remaining where the bubbles had been. We'll see how that dries.

I think my conclusion from this is that 25% is too much spirits. I will try for 20% on the next coat and see if that is any better.

Conner, it sounds like you are being quite scientific with your treatment of this, that's cool. I don't know though if the bubble problem has to do with too much spirits, I personally think (and from my own experience know) that it's easy to put the mixture on too thick. A mixture that's applied too thick will not self level as well as a thin layer, and I think the bubbles are so thin with a thinly applied mix, that they pop and level on their own. With a lot of mixture on there, the bubble of air has more paint surrounding it, so it does not pop as easy, and when it does pop, there's a big glob of paint there.

At least this was my experience. I even pushed down fairly hard on the roller, which made tons of bubbles, but I had so little of the mixture on the roller when I did this, that they popped almost instantly on their own, no blowing required, and the surface laid perfectly smooth when I was done. I look at it as just "wetting" the surface so you can see there is some mixture on there uniformly, that's good enough. I also wouldn't hesitate to run the roller over an area many times, just using the paint that's on part of the area, in order to spread it out. that keeps the amount of paint on the surface nice and thin.

I dont think it's as easy to measure the amount applied as it is the ratio of mineral spirits to paint, but I know applying too much paint at once with this technique is not a good idea and I have a feeling it is involved with the bubble problem people are having (though I think that has to do with mixture % also)...

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22877
05/06/06 10:42 PM
05/06/06 10:42 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tried posting pics before but it didnt seem to work. Hope it does now. Here's my progress

This is the 4th coat:

A few before pics:

Overall, very happy with the results. Bubbles and orange peel still a problem and wetsanding removes the shine. But way better than how it looked before.

steve
Hope the pics work, if not, sorry again

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22878
05/06/06 11:01 PM
05/06/06 11:01 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Conner, it sounds like you are being quite scientific with your treatment of this, that's cool. I don't know though if the bubble problem has to do with too much spirits, I personally think (and from my own experience know) that it's easy to put the mixture on too thick. A mixture that's applied too thick will not self level as well as a thin layer, and I think the bubbles are so thin with a thinly applied mix, that they pop and level on their own. With a lot of mixture on there, the bubble of air has more paint surrounding it, so it does not pop as easy, and when it does pop, there's a big glob of paint there.

At least this was my experience. I even pushed down fairly hard on the roller, which made tons of bubbles, but I had so little of the mixture on the roller when I did this, that they popped almost instantly on their own, no blowing required, and the surface laid perfectly smooth when I was done. I look at it as just "wetting" the surface so you can see there is some mixture on there uniformly, that's good enough. I also wouldn't hesitate to run the roller over an area many times, just using the paint that's on part of the area, in order to spread it out. that keeps the amount of paint on the surface nice and thin.

I dont think it's as easy to measure the amount applied as it is the ratio of mineral spirits to paint, but I know applying too much paint at once with this technique is not a good idea and I have a feeling it is involved with the bubble problem people are having (though I think that has to do with mixture % also)...

conner..every thing Exit1965 has said is true. I have applied 7 coats playing around with different mix's not ratios but just going by consistency of paint. this is the best way to learn how to get it right! that measuring crap just doesnt work the same every time. You want this stuff pretty thin. the thinner it is the flatter the paint lays and no bubbles whats so ever and no roller lines. trust me the thick stuff makes the bubbles that pop and makes little crater spots and also leaves roller lines. If you get it thin enough you cant even tell that you rolled it on after it has dried.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22879
05/07/06 12:06 AM
05/07/06 12:06 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I always do the mix in those juice type containers, And this is what works for me to get the right consistency: I put the paint first, and then I start to add the thinner, a little at a time, and shake very well the bottle after each time. I always know when the mix is right because all the bubbles in the mix disappear in less than 30 to 40 seconds after shaking. If it takes longer, add a little more mineral spirits. Every time that I use the paint again, I shake the bottle and check for the bubbles and if it is necessary I add more thinner.
I hope this helps.

Last edited by Superchango; 05/07/06 12:33 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22880
05/07/06 12:11 AM
05/07/06 12:11 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yeah, I am just experimenting as well at this point. The first try of 17% spirits went on without bubbles, but may have been a bit thick. If I can go thinner without creating a lot of bubbles, I will so it can self-level better. But today I know I used too much in spirits. I will try something in the middle tomorrow. I'll post here with those results.
I realize there is no hard-and-fast rule because temps and humidity will vary from one region to the next and one day to the next, but I am trying to get a rule of thumb to get in the ballpark.

Re: After second coat #22881
05/07/06 03:14 AM
05/07/06 03:14 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I used 1 cup paint (styrphome cup...disposible)

Not that it didn't turn out well, but watch out when using styrofoam - I've had paints turn styrene into a soggy mess before. Just figured I mention it before it ruins someones effort?

PS- Just bought a gallon of white Tremclad...

Re: After second coat #22882
05/07/06 08:25 AM
05/07/06 08:25 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I used 1 cup paint (styrphome cup...disposible)

Not that it didn't turn out well, but watch out when using styrofoam - I've had paints turn styrene into a soggy mess before. Just figured I mention it before it ruins someones effort?

PS- Just bought a gallon of white Tremclad...

I through away the cup after mixing, then use another one if I have to mix more. That way don't have to worry about eating the cup up. Mineral spirits would eat a hole in it...thats for sure...
will have some more pics up this evening after the final wetsand and buffering...

Finished!! #22883
05/07/06 04:51 PM
05/07/06 04:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

WOW!!!!!

Put last coat on last night and started final sand this afternoon, then on to polish and finally wax....what do you think?

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/kycabledog/Fender023.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/kycabledog/Fender022.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/kycabledog/Fender021.jpg

This was only a test fender got from autobody shop to experiment with...turned out really nice...got to be careful with the wetsanding...rubbed off some of the paint back to bare metal near the edges...but that will come with practice...now on to my real project in a few weeks...can't wait.

Re: Finished!! #22884
05/07/06 05:02 PM
05/07/06 05:02 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Forgot to mention...this was not rust-oleum paint. I went to the local Do-It-Best hardware store and purchased some Alkyd Industrial Enamel and had it tinted to the color I wanted...

Came out turquoise..just the color I wanted!!

Who has experience using "odorless" mineral spirits? #22885
05/07/06 09:30 PM
05/07/06 09:30 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I've been using this and am finding that even thinned all to heck, and with *very* light rolling I still get bubbles. They go away quickly, but most people don't seem to be getting this. Is the odorless stuff the culprit? It was the only thing available to me at the time of purchase. -Bill

Re: Who has experience using "odorless" mineral spirits? #22886
05/07/06 11:00 PM
05/07/06 11:00 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Ok... sanding my car.. I had trhe 7th coat on there and it looked pretty good.. except a couple noricable roller marks...bahh. Anywway..the final wetsanding with 2000grt has taken me longer than I expected I spent satuday and sunday (todayu)( sanding (wet) and I didnt get to polish. When I wet the surface of the metal it look VERY shinny...I can see clear reflectoins after a good sanding with 2000grt and knocking down all of the orange peel. I have about 95% of the orange peel eliminitate ... except the hood. I actually had to sand TWICE because I saw that I had some orange peel left from the last sanding (thatI did on satuday). but man. my paint job looks SWEET!! whne I wet it with water. I am expecting it to look reallkt nice when it is done.

Well that is all for now. I celebrtated a little too har=d with the booze... if you know what Imean. Cheers.Serp. ^_^

Re: Who has experience using "odorless" mineral spirits? #22887
05/07/06 11:04 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I've been using this and am finding that even thinned all to heck, and with *very* light rolling I still get bubbles. They go away quickly, but most people don't seem to be getting this. Is the odorless stuff the culprit? It was the only thing available to me at the time of purchase. -Bill

I use oderless and I get about one trillion bubbles but they all pop by themselves or if I want to expedite the process I will blow on them mself

Re: Who has experience using "odorless" mineral spirits? #22888

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I used them, and I too had bubbles...but they popped and by the time it dried...they were gone. I think the bubbles are from the roller. I also added a little bit of penetrol to the mix and that helped also.

Re: Who has experience using "odorless" mineral spirits? #22889
05/07/06 11:26 PM
05/07/06 11:26 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

snguy -

SHAVed MOldING!?? o.O! Nice tho, my car is done, well i was done weeks ago with all the coats but im not gonna post anypics till i do the final polish, wax and everything cleaned up, so you guys gonna have to just wait!!

Page 70 of 85 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 84 85