05/04/06 05:42 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

hey,

1. sand car down using 80 grit and ending with 120 grit or higher so you dont have scratches

2. prep the car by taping etc. for trims either tape it up or wedge the trim use a fishing line or just take it off alltogether.

3. mix rustoleum/tremclad with mineral sprits so its like water..(u can use professional rustoleum and use the gloss unless u want a flat look?)

4. do the first coat and let it dry...dries for some ppl in 3-4 hours for some ppl the whole day...so leave it over night (when u do the first coat u'll be able to see through the paint and will be like wtfff its not covering it but keep doign it)

5. do a second coat and then let it dry and then wetsand with 600 grit

6. do two more coats with enuff drying time then wetsand with 800

7. 2 more coats and wetsand with 1500 if u want to do 2 more coats or u can just wetsand with 2000 grit

8. wax the ish out of it.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22851
05/04/06 07:29 PM
05/04/06 07:29 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi, i have been following this thread for a while...someone on MR2OC was talking about this 50 bucks paint job and he actually tried it...

so i first started with my friend's 280z..
and now i am working on my mr2..

here are some questions:
1.how come i keep getting bumpy surface after each coat? (the paint is so not smooth)
2.i already did about 6 coats to it, wet sand every 2 coats...so i tried going high grit wet sand and buff it with turtle polishing compound..it comes out with so little reflection and is not shiny at all...(i am painting black)..whys that?
3.has anyone tried to apply clear on it? and just wet sand and buff just like a sprayed paint job?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22852
05/04/06 07:55 PM
05/04/06 07:55 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

show some pictures mr2 guy.

i have to do mines in some sort of green..id like to see someone who has done green on their ride plse post. thx

Last edited by Cal96; 05/04/06 07:57 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22853
05/04/06 10:36 PM
05/04/06 10:36 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey guys this my civic after 3 coats:
[image]http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43c19d07z9be0a45e/ac13re2/__sr_/1b0dre2.jpg?phw.rWEBaVJYIHdC[/image]

Im getting a lot of bubbles when the paint goes on. Going over the bubbles with the roller when it is dry pops them, but there's so many bubbles. Does this have to do with the mixing of the paint and the mineral spirit?

overall, im very happy with the results. It has a good shine.

steve http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43c19d07z...hw.rWEBkizWFXVX

Last edited by Hotwheelsjr; 05/06/06 12:10 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22854
05/04/06 10:44 PM
05/04/06 10:44 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Sorry I dont know how to post photos here. I hope it works.

web page
web page web page web page

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22855
05/05/06 12:42 AM
05/05/06 12:42 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hi, i have been following this thread for a while...someone on MR2OC was talking about this 50 bucks paint job and he actually tried it...

so i first started with my friend's 280z..
and now i am working on my mr2..

here are some questions:
1.how come i keep getting bumpy surface after each coat? (the paint is so not smooth)
2.i already did about 6 coats to it, wet sand every 2 coats...so i tried going high grit wet sand and buff it with turtle polishing compound..it comes out with so little reflection and is not shiny at all...(i am painting black)..whys that?
3.has anyone tried to apply clear on it? and just wet sand and buff just like a sprayed paint job?

Sounds like you're either not using enough mineral spirits or you're putting too much of the mixture on each time. Each time I've tried with the correct mixture (very thin) and applying it very thin - just 'wetting' the surface, it has dried totally smooth, no orange peel. The wetsanding was to get rid of the imperfections mostly.

When you look at the surface really close, can you see lots of tiny scratches? That would explain the lack of shine. I have had some luck using either swirl mark remover or a stronger polishing compound, it will get rid of those tiny scratches and should shine better.

Here is a pic of those microscratches in sunlight. These are from 1500 grit wetsanding. Next time I'll finish with 2000 after the last coat, then go with polishing compound. This surface did not shine well unless at an angle. I painted over this particular area, but on another similar area I did get a better shine by applying some fast cut compound by hand (by machine would have worked much better, but even by hand I could see a difference).

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22856
05/05/06 12:45 AM
05/05/06 12:45 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Sorry I dont know how to post photos here. I hope it works.

web page
web page web page web page

Pics aren't working, isn't there an option to create a link to put in an auction or something? It doesn't let people view it in the way you've provided, that requires us to be logged in as you, I think.

If you dont have a good photo hosting service, try Flickr. It's free, integrates into windows, and has no bandwidth limit for picture viewing and you can hot link.

http://www.flickr.com/

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22857
05/05/06 03:34 AM
05/05/06 03:34 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

ok i found my problem....it's obviously i wasn't using the right miniral spirit....i checked my can and i've got the oderless....

i went to local home depot, lowes...they both don't carry 100% miniral spirit, i asked the workers there, they said they stoped carrying them long time ago, dunno why....

i am going to check kelly moore tomorrow...

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22858
05/05/06 06:16 AM
05/05/06 06:16 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

guys i could use some help!

first coat applied to alitte to thick. so i let it dry for like 4-5 days. then i knocked it down with 400 wiped it down with mineral spirits let it dry then blew it off with airhose then applied 2nd coat much thinner then first. this was at 8:00 last night. Got up at 3:30 am and went to put another coat on and it started lifting up in small spots . I guess you would call it checking . to me it looks like the paint is cracking then it just lifts and gets all flaky. Its just small spots the size of a quarter and just a couple spots . I guess they can be knocked out with 600 when it drys good but wont these spots need to be sanded down more then the rest of the panel. This is just a practice piece so im learning as i go here. Im using profesional tint base stuff turquos. orderless mineral spirits also. im not having any trouble with bubbles or soft paint. my first heavy coat went on thick but once it died it was hard as hell. could it have been the air hose blew something on the panel before i rolled the second coat?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22859
05/05/06 07:57 AM
05/05/06 07:57 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi,

I have an question to ask u guys, if that possible to apply tremclad clearcoat to my original paint? is it safe to my original paint?. will this work?..will this give me a high gross shine?.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22860
05/05/06 09:15 AM
05/05/06 09:15 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

first coat applied to alitte to thick. so i let it dry for like 4-5 days. then i knocked it down with 400 wiped it down with mineral spirits let it dry then blew it off with airhose then applied 2nd coat much thinner then first. this was at 8:00 last night. Got up at 3:30 am and went to put another coat on and it started lifting up in small spots . I guess you would call it checking . to me it looks like the paint is cracking then it just lifts and gets all flaky. Its just small spots the size of a quarter and just a couple spots . I guess they can be knocked out with 600 when it drys good but wont these spots need to be sanded down more then the rest of the panel. This is just a practice piece so im learning as i go here. Im using profesional tint base stuff turquos. orderless mineral spirits also. im not having any trouble with bubbles or soft paint. my first heavy coat went on thick but once it died it was hard as hell. could it have been the air hose blew something on the panel before i rolled the second coat?

That sounds like what I saw on my little test area. I chalked it up to the outside layer being dry, while underneath that, the paint was not dry and the solvents in the paint ended up coming through the dried layer above. This can be a result of either putting the paint on too thick, or putting thin layers on but not giving enough drying time between layers.

This is what I was describing..

If I had any of this, I would be tempted to sand the heck out of it before applying any more layers, to make sure that uncured paint is taken off. Not sure if this is what youre describing but sounds like it..

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22861
05/05/06 10:43 AM
05/05/06 10:43 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

could it have been the air hose blew something on the panel before i rolled the second coat?

Yes it could. Air compressors can actually spray small bits of oil without a filtering system, which could definitely lead to the typs of spots you are talking about. I just wiped down with spirits and then allowed it to air dry before painting. Mineral spirits evaporate pretty quickly.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22862
05/05/06 11:30 AM
05/05/06 11:30 AM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
Quote:

Got up at 3:30 am and went to put another coat on and it started lifting up in small spots . I guess you would call it checking .
could it have been the air hose blew something on the panel before i rolled the second coat?

First, is your compressor one that has oil in it? Second, do you have a water and or oil trap on it? If not then you probably coated your panel with a fine mist of oil.

When I am painting I always wipe down the panel with my thinner just before painting. I give the thinner time evaporate then spray.

I the case of the roller method, I would wipe down with the mineral spirits just before you apply the paint. Make sure you give it enough time to evaporate, before you start painting. Wiping down just before paint will take off any kind of oily junk that might be on the surface. That includes oil from your air line, or sweat from you

The other thing to remember is that if you don’t let the spirits evaporate long enough, they will still be evaporating whit the fresh paint on top. That will cause the paint to blister, or peel. I have done it before with much more expensive paint. I wiped down then sprayed right away. What ended up happening was the first time I got the car out in the sun, the solvent under the fresh paint started coming to the surface causing little blisters. We call that solvent pop. The only way to fix it was to strip down my new paint. NOT GOOD.

Keep trying you will get it. We are already seeing lots of you getting your technique down and seeing good results.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22863
05/05/06 01:07 PM
05/05/06 01:07 PM
venice, ca
A
admactanium Offline
admactanium  Offline
A

venice, ca
Quote:

it all depends on your process. i'd say that polishing out the scratches by hand is NOT going to be easy at all. if you could find someone with a mechanical polisher your life would be much easier. wetsanding and buffing is an art unto itself.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: admactanium] #22864
05/05/06 03:29 PM
05/05/06 03:29 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

ok regarding clear after doing all this...id recommend u dont...i tried it and it messed up the paint as if i put paint thinner directly on it and it got flaky...but this was after a few hours of dry time...i'll see wat happens after it dries over night..

Re: paint job on a budget!? *DELETED* #22865
05/05/06 04:07 PM
05/05/06 04:07 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Post deleted by Superchango

Last edited by Ira; 05/06/06 12:44 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22866
05/05/06 04:13 PM
05/05/06 04:13 PM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
Superchangeo

Post this in the A-Body parts wanted section.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...;gonew=1#UNREAD

I have always had good responses to want ads there.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com
After second coat #22867
05/05/06 09:07 PM
05/05/06 09:07 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Was on another site and can't find the link there anymore..

I really screwed up the first coat. Way to thick. I had orange peel bad!!!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/kycabledog/1cbe1287.jpg

Wetsanded down with 400 to get back to a base that was the velvet look. Thinned it this time really thin...thought this will never work...but went ahead and gave it a coat...wow what a difference...smoothed out real nice...this evening gave it the second coat...

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/kycabledog/Fender014.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/kycabledog/Fender015.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/kycabledog/Fender016.jpg

There is still a little orange peel...but not as bad as before...and this is just after the second coat...haven't let it set to long....

I added a little bit of penetrol to the mix(less then 5 percent) and really like the way it helped cover the area....

On to wetsanding in the morning...then the next two coats.....

Kycabledog

Re: After second coat #22868
05/05/06 11:39 PM
05/05/06 11:39 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

So what were your final proportions of paint and mineral spirits and penetrol? What ratio did you use?

Re: After second coat #22869
05/06/06 07:37 AM
05/06/06 07:37 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

So what were your final proportions of paint and mineral spirits and penetrol? What ratio did you use?

I used 1 cup paint (styrphome cup...disposible), 1/2 cup mineral spirits and 1/10 cup of penetrol..
checked it this morning and it smooth as glass..can't wait to wetsand...but gotta have my coffee first.....lol

Page 69 of 85 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 84 85