05/02/06 10:30 AM
05/02/06 10:30 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Just joined this forum today, but have been following this thread since it was 17 pages long!

I found this thread from a Datsun Z forum that I am a member of. I am in the process of restoring a 1968 Datsun roadster (http://www.mydatsunroadster.com if you are interested) and plan to use this method to paint my project car if I can do it justice.

Thanks to 69 for sharing this method with the world.

Anyway, I started testing the method this week on a spare hood and wanted to share some impressions and get some feedback.

I am using regular Rustoleum Rust Paint of the consumer variety in Sunburst Yellow. I am diluting it with odorless mineral spirits. I have done the first two coats by mixing 5 parts paint to 1 part spirits, which should get me between 15 and 20% dilution. The paint is pretty watery but not too thin at that ratio and the bubbles on the surface pop all by themselves.

What I've done thusfar is to load up the roller in paint around the entire roller and then roll the roller into the paint pan to remove the excess paint again. Then I've been applying the paint by pushing fairly lightly on the hood but covering the same spot many times in order to get decent coverage. The stuff does seem to self-level pretty well, but there is definitely a bit of texture there from the roller. I assume the wetsanding will take care of this (I will do my first wetsanding tonight). The paint dries very quickly and is very hard when dry.

In general my philosophy has been to apply the paint to the entire surface as quickly as possible and then come back over it once again with the roller to do a bit of smoothing, and then allow it to self-level. All of my painting has been horizontal, but it is hard to imagine this stuff running because there is such a thin film going down. Maybe that is more of a problem on vertical surfaces.

I will post pictures of the hood when it is done at the end of the week, that way it will all be in one post so it will be easier to follow.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22831
05/02/06 11:20 AM
05/02/06 11:20 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I have heard others talk about "loading up the roller" but, although I've only done small sections, I found that if I did that, I would lay it on too thick and get the texture you're talking about, and get runs.

The most recent time I tried it, I do load the roller up, then squeeze most of it out by rolling it hard through the tray a few times, then start on the painting, so long as the roller is completely colored with the paint. And I don't mind pushing down on the roller when painting the car either, it does leave bubbles but they go away quickly. The idea is to get the surface uniformly wet, even if really thin.

Your mixture sounds a bit thick to me, try thinning it more and that texture should go away since it will level even better. But then be extra weary about putting too much paint on, as it will run being thin if you put too much paint on there.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22832
05/02/06 04:20 PM
05/02/06 04:20 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Found a pic. of a Dart that looks similar to the safety red from the plow;

http://members.tripod.com/richmondcounty...f69dartgts1.jpg

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22833
05/02/06 08:59 PM
05/02/06 08:59 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I have been to every home depot/lowes in the area and no one has the paint I need in the professional. I'm building an "A-team" van...so I need a "gunmetal" grey...which is close enough to the smoke grey...but I need a semi gloss black. Apparently I cant get the semigloss in professional. Do I need the prof...or can I be looking for the normal "stops rust"??? There is a semigloss in the regualr stuff.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22834
05/02/06 09:04 PM
05/02/06 09:04 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I just answered my own question on a previous page!!
Back to the depot to get paint! Hopefully I'll get to roll out the front end of the van by the end of this weekend.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22835
05/02/06 10:58 PM
05/02/06 10:58 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Be sure and post pictures of that van! Big flat sides should make for happy rolling..

question for 69charger- in what order did you paint your charger? I am very close to starting on my dart, like Saturday if I can get the tiny scratches out all over the car, but I'm not sure the best order to start painting. I'm thinking of doing the area behind the doors, and the roof, first. Then each door, each fender, the hood and decklid. Would you apply paint to the entire car in the same day?

Here's a pic of what I'll be applying that "safety red" paint to, unless I see a pic of it that steers me away. Nearly done, the most time consuming part left is grinding down those filled trim holes. Going around it with 320 and getting it really smooth will be the fun part compared to grinding...

|
|
V

Last edited by Exit1965; 05/02/06 11:29 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22836
05/03/06 12:00 AM
05/03/06 12:00 AM
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
F
Forgiven Offline
Forgiven  Offline
F

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Nice job to all that are having success. In reading the post, I didn't find where anyone had luck getting the Rustoleum high gloss tint base and mixing it for color match. I read where people said they were going to try it, so I'm hoping someone here did and had great results, just didn't post (yet!!! ). I have Lowes, Menards, and Home Depot up here, and was wondering if anyone had success getting a paint match at one of these? I'm trying to match light gold. Anyone who's had success let me know.

Also to any who've used this, this enamel differs from the others where it specifically calls for primer first. The others state can be used over bare metal. What have you found???

Thanks to all who reply!!!

He's the same yesterday, today, and forever! 70 Charger R/T
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Forgiven] #22837
05/03/06 12:35 AM
05/03/06 12:35 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Nice job to all that are having success. In reading the post, I didn't find where anyone had luck getting the Rustoleum high gloss tint base and mixing it for color match. I read where people said they were going to try it, so I'm hoping someone here did and had great results, just didn't post (yet!!! ). I have Lowes, Menards, and Home Depot up here, and was wondering if anyone had success getting a paint match at one of these? I'm trying to match light gold. Anyone who's had success let me know.

Also to any who've used this, this enamel differs from the others where it specifically calls for primer first. The others state can be used over bare metal. What have you found???

Thanks to all who reply!!!

The Home Depot I went to told me they dont color match it to samples that you bring in because that option isnt available in the computer... however, there is a rust-oleum color chart usually by the tintable bases that shows a list of colors you can mix to. There are a lot of colors to choose from but not as good as a color match would be. Someone posted the color charts eariler. They come in a pamphlet type foldout.

-Serpent

P.S. Thanks Jax, I needed that

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22838
05/03/06 04:11 AM
05/03/06 04:11 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

wow! what a nice post of info you got here guy.

id like to ask, you mentioned in the threat to use lacquer thinner instead of the mineral spirit? correct me if im wrong anyong...also i think ill try the industrial one instead of the pro...since its closer to the tremclad...

ill post pictures up when i get started and straightened out! thanks in advance.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22839
05/03/06 12:50 PM
05/03/06 12:50 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Be sure and post pictures of that van! Big flat sides should make for happy rolling..

question for 69charger- in what order did you paint your charger? I am very close to starting on my dart, like Saturday if I can get the tiny scratches out all over the car, but I'm not sure the best order to start painting. I'm thinking of doing the area behind the doors, and the roof, first. Then each door, each fender, the hood and decklid. Would you apply paint to the entire car in the same day?

Here's a pic of what I'll be applying that "safety red" paint to, unless I see a pic of it that steers me away. Nearly done, the most time consuming part left is grinding down those filled trim holes. Going around it with 320 and getting it really smooth will be the fun part compared to grinding...

|
|
V

i painted the whole car at one time, start with the hood, open it when done, do the front fenders, then the rear area around the window, then the trunk lid and open it, then the roof and rear quarters all in one shot, then the doors last.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22840
05/03/06 05:06 PM
05/03/06 05:06 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi All,
I've been watching this thread from afar for a while and thought I'd post my results. Just took this car to the show and the response was great. Thanks to everyone for the ideas and info.
http://www.higenki.com/roadster/paint/DSC06157.JPG
http://www.higenki.com/roadster/DSC05480.JPG
before--
http://www.higenki.com/roadster/DSC06145.JPG

(Edited pics to links...pics waaaaay too big!!)

Last edited by Hotwheelsjr; 05/04/06 01:59 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22841
05/03/06 06:47 PM
05/03/06 06:47 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

very nice datsun!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22842
05/03/06 07:08 PM
05/03/06 07:08 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

for the last two pictures of the cars ( looks great by the way) what can did you guys use? more info the better...

Last edited by Cal96; 05/03/06 07:10 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22843
05/03/06 09:34 PM
05/03/06 09:34 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

That almond color looks great. Good JOB!

Here is a video I made today of my 7th coat- unsanded and not buffed. It includes a little scratch test.

I am using the "stops rust" or stop rust.. whatever it is... the tintable pastel base.

Big (60MB)

Small (12MB) Small(12MB)

-Serpent

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22844
05/03/06 10:05 PM
05/03/06 10:05 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey Ron! Good to see you. You did it.
That's great. Did you have any trouble areas on the roadster body?--there are a lot of curves and angles on the rear fenders.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22845
05/04/06 07:41 AM
05/04/06 07:41 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

That almond color looks great. Good JOB!

Here is a video I made today of my 7th coat- unsanded and not buffed. It includes a little scratch test.

I am using the "stops rust" or stop rust.. whatever it is... the tintable pastel base.

Big (60MB)

Small (12MB) Small(12MB)

-Serpent

Looking real good Serpent! Congratulations! Without wetsanding you already have a real nice 10 to 20 foot car by the looks of your video. BTW, loved the Camero/Corvette correction edit on the video.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22846
05/04/06 12:18 PM
05/04/06 12:18 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey guys, I was linked to this thread by another forum, and I have been wanting to paint my Civic. I have a few questions about the process.
Hey,
I just read your posts about how you painted your car. I have to say it looks really nice! But since I don't have the time to read and the millions of posts, could you give me step by step instructions on how to do it? So far I have:
Thin the Rustoleum paint with Mineral spirits, not paint thinner.
Then apply very thin coats of paint to one body panel at a time, and after two coats, wetsand it, then go over it with a tack cloth, then two more coats and repeat sanding. Then take turtle wax and buff it out. Is this correct? What grade sand paper do I need to use for prepping and between coats? Does the car have to be bare metal, or just sanded smooth? How did you paint in the door jams without getting is inside the car? How do you take the window trim off so you can get in there? Does it matter if the paint is gloss or not? Is there anny breakthroughs that are within that post that I don't know about? How long should I wait before I wetsand between coats? Is it ok to use the regular Rustoleum and thinned with mineral spirits? If you could help it would be much appreciated!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22847
05/04/06 01:45 PM
05/04/06 01:45 PM
Col. Ohio
T
The Avg. Valiant Offline
super stock
The Avg. Valiant  Offline
super stock
T

Col. Ohio
If you read back through, everyone does theirs alittle different. But 69Charger says exactly what he does, and exit, if i remember correctly, describes the prep process he took.
Jacob

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: The Avg. Valiant] #22848
05/04/06 02:55 PM
05/04/06 02:55 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thats the point in me asking, I don't have 10 hours to sit here and read through all the posts. (I don't mean this in a smart-alic way)

I think I have the process down, I was just wondering if there was any changes to the original way of doing it. I'm gonna start on the Bondo today, and by next week it should be getting painted.

Where is "69" when ya need him?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22849
05/04/06 03:10 PM
05/04/06 03:10 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Thats the point in me asking, I don't have 10 hours to sit here and read through all the posts. (I don't mean this in a smart-alic way)

I think I have the process down, I was just wondering if there was any changes to the original way of doing it. I'm gonna start on the Bondo today, and by next week it should be getting painted.

Where is "69" when ya need him?

The only real tweaks to the original were using different grits of paper. Im going to use 600 grit on the first 6 coats (after 2,4,6 coat), then 1 more coat and 2000 grit as JeffS did. At least that's the plan now.

Page 68 of 85 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 84 85