05/01/06 03:26 PM
05/01/06 03:26 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

thats like the fire red in tremclad. it sux. in the can it looks like a nice dark red but when painted its an orange red.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22811
05/01/06 04:06 PM
05/01/06 04:06 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Has anyone used Hunter green. My car's close to the sample on the website but I'm curious how it will look for real.

If my wife gets our door painted I'll get you some pictures.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22812
05/01/06 04:15 PM
05/01/06 04:15 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I might be hesitant to use reds with this paint and procedure, at least not without testing it for UV fading etc. for awhile.

Reds are notorious for being the fastest fading color of all with the pigment makeup of the color. It just happens that way - unless you clearcoat it, or keep waxed to the max.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22813
05/01/06 05:02 PM
05/01/06 05:02 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
whats wrong with orange?

red and anything derived from red uses pigments that can't be fully synethitically made, and are therefore bad at resisting uv, but i have to say the orange does'nt fade at all, the 74 beetle was painted 6yrs ago and there is no fade at all, when compared to underhood and door jambs.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22814
05/01/06 05:06 PM
05/01/06 05:06 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

I might be hesitant to use reds with this paint and procedure, at least not without testing it for UV fading etc. for awhile.

Reds are notorious for being the fastest fading color of all with the pigment makeup of the color. It just happens that way - unless you clearcoat it, or keep waxed to the max.

69Charger's VW isn't red, but it's orange, and it seems to have held up well in the color department for many years and I assume it's seen its share of sun. Could red be far off from that?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22815
05/01/06 05:21 PM
05/01/06 05:21 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
red and any color derived form red is allways more prone to be effected by uv, orange has alot of red in it, and in the tremclad brand at least there is no fade/uv damage at all. and yes, the 74 bug sees alot of sun.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22816
05/01/06 05:53 PM
05/01/06 05:53 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I was linked over here from Thirdgen.org with hopes to paint my car on a strict budget. This looks awesome and despite what my friends are saying, I'm going to try this because clearly people are getting good results.

I have a 91 Camaro and it needs a lot of work. I'm going to be replacing the front and rear bumpers because of accidents. My big question is whether I should take off the quarter panels, bumpers, hood, ground effects, spoiler, etc. when I paint and do each part seperately. I figure this will help me to get a solid covering on each part but I don't know how others have faired. I saw the third gen camaro above with the ground effects off so I'm a little bit on edge about which path to take.

I have an 89 Camaro and it was a pain getting off the ground effects. Hopefully your bolts aren't in as bad condition as mine were. To take off the rocker panels you will need to take the rearseat side panels off and use a deep socket that is either a 10mm or 7/16. To take the panels off the door you need to take off the door panel.. be careful witht he door clips, etc. Again you will need that deep socket+ extentions and I think a swivel adapter. I took my mirrors off too. I left the bumper and the lower panels on but I took out the break lights- which was easy. I also took out the marker lights and blinkers in the front but left the headlights in because I could get the 1" foam brush around the edges. Also you might want to take off the window sweeps, too and get new ones if you need them. I think I paid 50 or 70$ for new ones. Oh, and be sure to at least take off your front plastic intake grill thing. Be sure to check under your t-top weather strips for rust. If you have any then clean and repair it. You will probably detroy all your emblems, except the nose emblem, if you try to take them off. There is a silver film backing on them that tears off when you try to remove them. The film also has the rest of the image details printed on it. To take off the rockers you will need to remove the emblems to get at the two bolts beneath it.

This is my daily driver so I have to repeat the process everytime I work on it. Mostly just removing the window sweeps, licenseplates, lights and then taping up.

-Serpent

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22817
05/01/06 08:03 PM
05/01/06 08:03 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I didn't say ANYBODY'S car was Red, Orange, or Purple - had nothing to do with what anybody has painted, just a general statement of knowledge or warning, take if for what it is worth. I have had enough experience with red paints over the years to know about this situation.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22818
05/01/06 08:06 PM
05/01/06 08:06 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Orange has nowhere near the pigment as a pure red, and I have never known it to be a problem. Talk to any painter about it. Reds are way more expensive as well, due to the pigment issues.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22819
05/01/06 08:35 PM
05/01/06 08:35 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

did u wet sand at all?

yup, i wetsanded after 2 and 4...

alright, some updated pics of what i just did...

6th coat

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: BSharp] #22820
05/01/06 09:14 PM
05/01/06 09:14 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hello everyone. Just joined. I was referred from an Integra forum and I been poring over this thread for several days now. Finally today I started painting my ride. I am only doing the hood for now, but I already see trouble. Bubbles. I've followed all the steps to get rid of them, but even after that I still see some oddness. Sort of a "uneven" appearance to the paint. I can't describe it very well so I'll have to post some pics here in awhile. At any rate, thanks to Charger for starting this cheap paint craze. I really need paint but don't have the money right now. This is a terrific option! -Bill

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22821
05/01/06 09:26 PM
05/01/06 09:26 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Looking really good guys...the white looks great compaired to my black, but I must say the job I did for never doing this isnt bad, i plan on wetsanding tomorrow (if it dont rain) and then Ill post some pics, I stll need about 2 more coats on it to make it final and get alot of the roller marks out...

Were getting all kinds of vehicle people in here

Last edited by LincolbLSC5pnt0; 05/01/06 09:27 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22822
05/01/06 10:14 PM
05/01/06 10:14 PM
New Kent, Virginia
M
matts69Dart Offline
enthusiast
matts69Dart  Offline
enthusiast
M

New Kent, Virginia
Hey all, I have been following this thread from the beginning and am seriously considering it when it comes time to paint my Dart. I do have a question though concerning the procedure. What do you do when you are painting doors and hoods and come to the edge? How do you keep the paint from running into the inside of the seam? Is it better to paint the doors and hood, trunk off the car? I really want to understand the whole procedure. And by the way, everyone that has shown pics of your cars: they look great. Thanks, Matt

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: matts69Dart] #22823
05/01/06 10:27 PM
05/01/06 10:27 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hey all, I have been following this thread from the beginning and am seriously considering it when it comes time to paint my Dart. I do have a question though concerning the procedure. What do you do when you are painting doors and hoods and come to the edge? How do you keep the paint from running into the inside of the seam? Is it better to paint the doors and hood, trunk off the car? I really want to understand the whole procedure. And by the way, everyone that has shown pics of your cars: they look great. Thanks, Matt

From my experience, you don't really have to worry about paint running anywhere if you're putting it on thin enough. You are wetting the area with the roller with paint, and its so little paint it wont go anywhere you dont want it to.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22824
05/01/06 10:40 PM
05/01/06 10:40 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yea it really dont run like you think it does, it actually does pretty well with the running, like said, it really dont go anywhere you dont want it to go.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: matts69Dart] #22825
05/01/06 10:41 PM
05/01/06 10:41 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The paint doesnt really drip unless you put it on way to thick.. then it starts to sag.. if that happens just lightly roll over it a few times until the saggy portion of the paint line disapears. Same goes with drips. That is my method and probably similar to everyone elses. There really aren't any problems around the edges and creases. At the most you will either get a paint line caused by paint saturating the rounded ends of the roller or you will get a drip usually resulting from the same cause- the roller being saturated... afterall it is basically a sponge and rolling along a crease exserts more presure on the portion of the roller in contact with the surface of your subject. I used the 1" foamie to paint under my door handels. Surprisingly, the foamie holds a lot of paint. In my case the paint would squeeze out of the foamie as it was compressed to fit underneath the handel and between the spring mechanisms. This caused a lot of paint to come out of the foamie and drip down the door. It was an easy fix, though. I just rolled over the drips a few times while I painted the door or fanned it out using the foamie. The 1" foam brush creates some noticable streaks which seem to flatten out by themselves.

-Serpent

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22826
05/01/06 10:53 PM
05/01/06 10:53 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I've done my 7th coat. Doing the JeffS method. It seems like the paint goes on smoother and smoother each time I apply it. I have some drips here and there- but I am getting too tired of this project already. It isn't that it is exhausting- but rather the fact that I have to go out of my way to find a place to paint it. My fourth coat I actually did dismantle my car, tape it and the paint it at Home Depot. Then 5th, 6th, & 7th were done at my office parking lot on Saturday and Sunday- including the sanding. I can't help but laugh when I realize what I am doing... painting my car with a ROLLER with RUST-OLEUM! in a parking lot... but if I am able to pull off decent results I am sure the rest of you will have no problems. I have painted in pollen, rain, shade, direct sunlight, high winds, and even been invaded by a swarm of flying insects. All this on a daily driver. Painting after work and driving it the next morning. I have even been stopped by police in the parking lot because I was taking off my lights and licensplates and they thought I was parting out the car. Shyte. Good luck to you guys. I hope you don't have to go what I went through.

I just need to do my final sand and then buff.

-Serpent

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22827
05/01/06 11:00 PM
05/01/06 11:00 PM
New Kent, Virginia
M
matts69Dart Offline
enthusiast
matts69Dart  Offline
enthusiast
M

New Kent, Virginia
Thanks guys. I plan on painting the door jambs with the rustoleum rattle can professional paint. Also the underside of the hood and trunk. The more i read, the more excited I get about having paint on my car. Hopefully this summer. Matt

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22828
05/01/06 11:29 PM
05/01/06 11:29 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

69 I have been reading this string from the begining {a good 6 hour read} I have decided to to use your method to paint my 36 chevy coupe.I had had my coupe media blasted and PPG primed some time ago .The existing surface shows signs of minor pitting ,will roller painting fill these tiny voids or would I need to fill them with another product prior to roller painting.
thanx
Tonto4706

2595570-132_3279.jpg (606 downloads)
Last edited by Tonto4706; 05/01/06 11:32 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22829
05/02/06 07:48 AM
05/02/06 07:48 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I've done my 7th coat. Doing the JeffS method. It seems like the paint goes on smoother and smoother each time I apply it. I have some drips here and there- but I am getting too tired of this project already. It isn't that it is exhausting- but rather the fact that I have to go out of my way to find a place to paint it. My fourth coat I actually did dismantle my car, tape it and the paint it at Home Depot. Then 5th, 6th, & 7th were done at my office parking lot on Saturday and Sunday- including the sanding. I can't help but laugh when I realize what I am doing... painting my car with a ROLLER with RUST-OLEUM! in a parking lot... but if I am able to pull off decent results I am sure the rest of you will have no problems. I have painted in pollen, rain, shade, direct sunlight, high winds, and even been invaded by a swarm of flying insects. All this on a daily driver. Painting after work and driving it the next morning. I have even been stopped by police in the parking lot because I was taking off my lights and licensplates and they thought I was parting out the car. Shyte. Good luck to you guys. I hope you don't have to go what I went through.

I just need to do my final sand and then buff.

-Serpent

Serpent, Keep the faith brother! I've been rooting for you and bakyru (not sure if I spelled that right) to come through on this. You for all the crazy work you have to do for each coat and bakyru for that fugly red rock & seashell encrusted nightmare he started with. Both of your cars are looking awesome now and both of you can be proud of what you've done. Everyone on this thread is inspiring a lot gearheads out there to work on their own projects. There's more out there reading this than just those posting here.

Page 67 of 85 1 2 65 66 67 68 69 84 85