04/21/06 08:59 AM
04/21/06 08:59 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Here is my first coat, lightly applied around the car, after first experimenting on a hood. Seems to be laying out well. Also sry to be posting in your guys forums, but I dont know where else to post and figured you wouldn't mind seeing some results.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22711
04/21/06 09:21 AM
04/21/06 09:21 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Looks good Tbeesh, you are keeping the layers nice and thin. Should dry hard and smooth..

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22712
04/21/06 09:36 AM
04/21/06 09:36 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Hi there,
first of all, thanx to 69charger for sharing this awesome method. I think you have become some what of a star around the web!

Unfortunately, I dont own a mopar or any classics for that matter. I actually drive a Civic (which is apparently the new hot rod these days). This thread has actually spread around quite a few honda forums, and making quite a buzz. Since a lot of civic owners are young and of course poor...this is almost a perfect alternative; at least it is for me.

My civic has a lot of body work to be done this summer before paint. This maybe a stupid question since this is rust paint, but has anyone actually gone through a winter with this paint before? 69charger as you know the Canadian winter and salty roads here can be very harsh. And I am assuming you dont drive ur 69 charger in the winter?

Anyway, I've been reading this thread everyday for the last few weeks and decided to join because my exams are almost over and I want to start working on my car. Seems like a lot of knowledgable ppl here that I can hopefully get help from. Hope you guys dont discriminate imports!! j/k

Steve

steve - i did drive my charger all winter, it was sooo mild, and i only drove it when the roads were dry, but the first car i painted with this technique was about 15yrs ago, a old honda 1985 CRX that i painted black, i put huge miles on that car and 3 winters/summers, and about 400,000kms on the paint, held up great.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22713
04/21/06 10:41 AM
04/21/06 10:41 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Steve

steve - i did drive my charger all winter, it was sooo mild, and i only drove it when the roads were dry, but the first car i painted with this technique was about 15yrs ago, a old honda 1985 CRX that i painted black, i put huge miles on that car and 3 winters/summers, and about 400,000kms on the paint, held up great.

Hey 69Charger,
thanx for the reply. I completely forgot about your CRX and also how much experience you have with this technique.

As you know, honda's are nutorious for rust forming near the rear wheel wells - which im currently having right now. Rust is my biggest fear right now - and I dont want to have do repair to it after every winter. I have no acess to a welder - so all fiberglass work. Since tremclad is a rust paint, this gives me a lil' piece of mind.

Does anyone have any experience with those "rust-convertor" products? Do they work? Im planning to spray/brush the inside of the panels to slow down the rusting process. Also, is it wise to paint it on the outer portion too and then paint over it? Or is this rather redundant since tremclad/rustoleum is suppose to "stop rust"?

thanks

steve

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22714
04/21/06 02:56 PM
04/21/06 02:56 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

well one main cause of that rust forming at the rear wheel wells for older hondas is because of a rubber piece covering the rear wheel fender (i think thats what its called). All the salt and stuff get stuck there and that causes the rust. You just peel the rubber off from the rear wheel fenders. Doesn't seem to hurt anything to remove it.
Did this for my 96 accord, and I hear 98 accords and up no longer have it.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22715
04/21/06 06:59 PM
04/21/06 06:59 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
i allways took them off, packed the channel with grease, them put them back on, those rubber strips really hold alot of crap and water causing rust. also i would spray wd40 in the gastank filler area once a month, they rust fast too espically on crx's.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22716
04/21/06 10:58 PM
04/21/06 10:58 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

ok I am getting pretty good at this!

What I found out:
My first 3 coats were far too thin. When I did a light sand after you 2nd coat I had to worry about eatting right through it. For my "fourth" coat I put it down at what I would say is a more normal thickness. I got a bit of noticable orange peel but it was easy to sand out with 600gt. I am going to just consider it my second coat since now I have about 95% coverage after my sanding. I also learned how to get the surface really smooth in the process. The sanding is almost therapeudic but tedious. My car is looking really good now but I can see I need to do more body work. I have 3 small spots I need to sand down and rework... but I will just do it after I finish the process I guess. I can live with some unnoticable blemishes. When I laid down the 4th coat and got more orangepeel I was worried I wasn't going to have a nice final finish. After the wetsanding I am not really worried at all. I am expecting to have a nice, shiny surface.

The other day someone opened their car door on my door and screwed up my paint.. it was an easy fix. Then I was thinking if I had paid that 1700$+ macco job I wouldn't have been so laidback about it.

With the money I saved I bought new rims, tires, and 2" spacers.. cost 1500$ and look nice. Well, it goes more than saving money from just painting it at Maaco's.. Since this is my daily driver (I strip it down almost every day to work on it ) I would have needed a rental car while mine was in the shop.

Bakuryu, did you have any probs with putting thin coats?

-Serpent

Last edited by Serpent Warrior; 04/21/06 10:59 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22717
04/22/06 12:04 AM
04/22/06 12:04 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey Man
As I read your post, it seemed you were documenting my journey on this paint process. I've done 2 coats, *very thin* and when I wet sanded, it seemed I was back down to almost one coat. After applying the 3rd hours ago, the car is now 95% covered. Im figuring when the fourth goes on, it will be completely covered, and that if I use the 800 grit, I can probably do a good sanding, while not removing any coats, and smoothing out my surface. the 5th and 6th will be definate coats, no covering up any uncovered spots. Refer to my previous post a couple posts ago to see how thin my first coat was.

Needless to say, it seems like I am still on the right path and that so far I have made few to no errors in my process. After laying out the 3rd coat, the car is finally taking form and starting to look like a respectable car once again. I can only imagine what 3 more coats, a good buffing, and a polishing like this cars never seen before, will do for my baby.

Good luck man, post pictures! Ill get you some more tomorrow when paint is dry.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22718
04/22/06 01:51 AM
04/22/06 01:51 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

What I found out:
My first 3 coats were far too thin. When I did a light sand after you 2nd coat I had to worry about eatting right through it. For my "fourth" coat I put it down at what I would say is a more normal thickness. I got a bit of noticable orange peel but it was easy to sand out with 600gt. I am going to just consider it my second coat since now I have about 95% coverage after my sanding. I also learned how to get the surface really smooth in the process. The sanding is almost therapeudic but tedious. My car is looking really good now but I can see I need to do more body work. I have 3 small spots I need to sand down and rework... but I will just do it after I finish the process I guess. I can live with some unnoticable blemishes. When I laid down the 4th coat and got more orangepeel I was worried I wasn't going to have a nice final finish. After the wetsanding I am not really worried at all. I am expecting to have a nice, shiny surface.

The other day someone opened their car door on my door and screwed up my paint.. it was an easy fix. Then I was thinking if I had paid that 1700$+ macco job I wouldn't have been so laidback about it.

With the money I saved I bought new rims, tires, and 2" spacers.. cost 1500$ and look nice. Well, it goes more than saving money from just painting it at Maaco's.. Since this is my daily driver (I strip it down almost every day to work on it ) I would have needed a rental car while mine was in the shop.

-Serpent

Heres the thing with my car serpent. I DID excellent body work when i was originally taking the red dirty color got it all out smooth, but i didnt take out some of the dings, then i painted it dark gray and did a slopppy job of it, too thick, then too thin and then just perfect but by that time i had already spent 50$+ and wasted over 2 WEEKS, now the white is turning out really nice, i'm doing thin coats and when i said i pretty much kill about 50% of the layer that i put and you can sorta see the the previous coat, thats why i'm doing 3 COATS and then wetsanding. so i did 1 coat 2 coat 3 coats wetsand and it was down to 2.5COATS lol Soo far i have the car painted 4coats(had to take it to inspection), gonna lay down 2 more coats as perfectly as i can and then wetsand with 1500 and it'll b down to 5 COATS, then i'll do 1 LAST 7th COAt and wetsand that with 2000GRIT and polish. I got this whole thing planned out, hopefully it will execute well.

question for charger its suppose to rain over the weekend the current coat has over 48HOURS of dry time, think the rain will hurt it in anyway?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22719
04/22/06 05:20 AM
04/22/06 05:20 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

any sanding tips?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22720
04/22/06 12:08 PM
04/22/06 12:08 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

... Good luck man, post pictures! Ill get you some more tomorrow when paint is dry.

Ok, here are some pictures of my car so far. I don't have any pics of my "4th" coat and sanding. I am just going to consider it my 2nd coat anyway because the first 3 were far to thin, I think.

1st coat:

Large Image

Large Image

Large Image
Ok, this one is cheating a little because 1) I am painting a white car white and 2) it doesn't show all of the lower part of the door which had more prep work done on it.

2nd Coat:

Large Image

Large Image
A bad pick because the sun is washing out the image. Better viewed at high rez.

Large Image

Sanded:

Large Image

Large Image

Anyway, the 3rd coat looked more or less the same but with a little more coverage. I let it dry and then put a "normal" 4th coat and it finally started to cover everything up.

Cheers ^_^

-Serpent

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22721
04/22/06 12:32 PM
04/22/06 12:32 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

question for charger its suppose to rain over the weekend the current coat has over 48HOURS of dry time, think the rain will hurt it in anyway?

absoultly not, go for it, rain will do nothing to the paint after 48 hours, think about it, after 10 or so hours your wetsanding.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22722
04/22/06 12:58 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I painted my car's second coat and it started drizzling immediatly after. I lightly blotted out the drops that hit my car. They beaded up on the surface and just sat there. There were light showers on and off but nothing that really drowned my car for about 5-7 hours. I went back and put my car together and the paint was still a little soft in places but good enough to not worry about it. Over night it poured out. My paint was fine. So dont worry.. just go for it. And remember water and oil dont mix well... the water will just bead up.
-serpent

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22723

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

absoultly not, go for it, rain will do nothing to the paint after 48 hours, think about it, after 10 or so hours your wetsanding.

Ok thanks, just had to leave it out cuz it got too late to take it to friends garage, man i need to hurry it up and finish.

Another question Charger, i have small QUARTER dings here and there on my car, and now that i look at it i regret not bodoi'ing them before painting, can i sand it down to metal those spots bondo and then spray paint it with the Rust-oleum spray, is it the same viscocity?

PS: For somereason i cant see the thread past 30pages, its cuz of my resolution im on 1280X1152

Last edited by bakuryu; 04/22/06 01:07 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22724
04/22/06 02:55 PM
04/22/06 02:55 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

What I found out:

-Serpent

Heres the thing with my car serpent. I DID excellent body work when i was originally taking the red dirty color got it all out smooth, but i didnt take out some of the dings, then i painted it dark gray and did a slopppy job of it, too thick, then too thin and then just perfect but by that time i had already spent 50$+ and wasted over 2 WEEKS, now the white is turning out really nice, i'm doing thin coats and when i said i pretty much kill about 50% of the layer that i put and you can sorta see the the previous coat, thats why i'm doing 3 COATS and then wetsanding. so i did 1 coat 2 coat 3 coats wetsand and it was down to 2.5COATS lol Soo far i have the car painted 4coats(had to take it to inspection), gonna lay down 2 more coats as perfectly as i can and then wetsand with 1500 and it'll b down to 5 COATS, then i'll do 1 LAST 7th COAt and wetsand that with 2000GRIT and polish. I got this whole thing planned out, hopefully it will execute well.

ya man, I was just asking if you had a prob with the thin paint. I wasn't implying anything about your body work. You did exellent body work.. thanks for pointing it out . I spent a lot of time on the body of my car too but 2 or 3 spots could be done better. I don't think the thin painting technique was a result of my subpar bodywork.

-Serpent

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22725
04/22/06 06:26 PM
04/22/06 06:26 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Changed my site around slightly so it has more navigation and the painting stuff is all in one area.

http://www.davidh74.plus.com/

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22726
04/22/06 07:13 PM
04/22/06 07:13 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

then will these rollers work? its a little blurry, but should do justice.

Last edited by PsYcHo-DoUgHbOy; 04/22/06 07:14 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22727
04/22/06 08:42 PM
04/22/06 08:42 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Those'll work!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22728
04/23/06 12:10 AM
04/23/06 12:10 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Anyone tried the Wagnor power sprayer?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22729
04/23/06 01:18 AM
04/23/06 01:18 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

sweeeeet, imma start painting the spoiler tomorrow! ill keep ya updated!

Page 62 of 85 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 84 85