04/20/06 09:19 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Ok so I finally got time off work and life and I'm going to get something fairly large off a junk car to test on (since I would like to paint my car this way but want to test first). Now just a rundown, this is what I have on my list to get from home depot:

Rustoleum Flat White (in the can)
Ultra fine 3m sand paper (wet or dry use)
4" Small professional foam rollers (ultra smooth white)
Mineral spirits (non odorless)
small tray for paint
handle for foam roller
small foam paint brush
turtle wax compound

Pretty much everything I believe? Let me know if I'm missing some things or not.

And I've been searching but can't find it, what was the paint to mineral spirits ratio? I know I saw it listed but theres so many pages and posts its hard to find.

I haven't seen non-odorless at any home depot in Sac, but Kelly Moore has it for about 6.00 a gallon.

I dont know if Home depot carries the sandpaper you'll need either, but walmart does in the car care section with the bondo.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22691
04/20/06 09:59 AM
04/20/06 09:59 AM
Columbus
Q5RR Offline
Q5RR  Offline

Columbus
Quote:

small tray for paint
handle for foam roller
small foam paint brush
turtle wax compound

I think you want gloss white, not flat.

1969 Road Runner, Q5 Seafoam Turquoise Metallic, M6S(pewter, GTX type) interior. Currently has a 440 with 727 transmission. Numbers matching 383 is now being stored. Looking for a 400 or another 383, located near Columbus, to build in its place.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Q5RR] #22692
04/20/06 10:37 AM
04/20/06 10:37 AM
Lubbock, TX
slantvaliant Offline
enthusiast
slantvaliant  Offline
enthusiast

Lubbock, TX
Thanks to 69chargeryeehaw and all the other contributors, there is now a very white '64 Valiant parked outside.

Before:

After:

I used Rustoleum Professional (Gloss White) in a gallon can, mineral spirits (after a test with acetone), foam rollers from Ace Hardware, green 3M sanding pads for prep, 800 and 1000 grit for wetsanding with a sponge, water, and a drop of dish soap, recycled spray bottle, masking tape, newspaper, Turtle Wax brand polishing compound, and a fair amount of time.

Lessons learned:
I am not very good at body work.
I am not very good at painting.
Little strokes fell great oaks.
This technique works.

The paint has flaws. Runs, some places where the roller method is discernable, and my cruddy bodywork. However, it looks SO MUCH BETTER than it did before. It shines where it hasn't in a decade, and I'm getting compliments on it every day.

Now, back to mechanical issues ....

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22693
04/20/06 11:06 AM
04/20/06 11:06 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

Ok so I finally got time off work and life and I'm going to get something fairly large off a junk car to test on (since I would like to paint my car this way but want to test first). Now just a rundown, this is what I have on my list to get from home depot:

small tray for paint
handle for foam roller
small foam paint brush
turtle wax compound

Pretty much everything I believe? Let me know if I'm missing some things or not.

And I've been searching but can't find it, what was the paint to mineral spirits ratio? I know I saw it listed but theres so many pages and posts its hard to find.

a 100$ Check written in Chargers name and ready to mail if the process work.

PS: Same thing for me

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: ct71rr] #22694
04/20/06 11:07 AM
04/20/06 11:07 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Thanks for the quick response. You the man!!! What's your best guesstemate for how long the paint will last?? Your charger looks pissa, by the way!!

6yrs/35000mi and counting on the orange bug.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22695
04/20/06 11:10 AM
04/20/06 11:10 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Lessons learned:
This technique works.

The paint has flaws. Runs, some places where the roller method is discernable, and my cruddy bodywork. However, it looks SO MUCH BETTER than it did before. It shines where it hasn't in a decade, and I'm getting compliments on it every day.

Slantvaliant - funny, at least your honest, immagine if you took your time, and knew what you know now!!!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22696
04/20/06 11:45 AM
04/20/06 11:45 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Lessons learned:
This technique works.

Slantvaliant - funny, at least your honest, immagine if you took your time, and knew what you know now!!!!

Mine will be done by this weekend lIKE COMPLETELY Buffing and everything, turning out very very SICK righ tnow!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22697
04/20/06 11:48 AM
04/20/06 11:48 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey guys, heres a sneak peak of my car currently with 4th coat done and dry

Last edited by bakuryu; 04/20/06 11:50 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22698
04/20/06 12:36 PM
04/20/06 12:36 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Lookin sweet bakuryu. There's nothing like the look of a freshly painted car..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22699
04/20/06 01:10 PM
04/20/06 01:10 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

hey ya'll

if anyone is interested i found a site with car paint for cheap... i konw it defeats the whole purpose of this topic and roll on etc...but w/e http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/modified-acrylic/custom-finishes.html

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22700
04/20/06 02:01 PM
04/20/06 02:01 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hopefully charger see's this message now. I asked before but it seems lost

Hey charger i went and painted my car, and it looks great now compared to the black/grey oxidized 240sx i had before. Before, I thought my body was pretty straight, few dings here and there and i thought it would be fine. I guess it was the color that hid everything so well. Now after painting, i see the dings. I was able to paint my car now because of spring break, but now I want to fix my body work up during the summer. When I want to fix my body with body filler, do you think I should sand down to metal, or just sand with enough grit so that the body filler can grab onto paint. What do you recommend? Thanks

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22701
04/20/06 03:00 PM
04/20/06 03:00 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

bodyfiller doesnt grab onto paint...sand it enuff so u see the baremetal...and trust me lay it down smooooooooooth dont have a thick layer...also take a look at this http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=5

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: slantvaliant] #22702
04/20/06 03:01 PM
04/20/06 03:01 PM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

Lessons learned:
This technique works.

Car looks great. As soon as my car is back on the road, its definately getting painted with rustoleum. I've been telling people about it, and they're skeptical. But wait until I get it finished. I'll probably go with a lighter color like the sand or something. I may even get a few colors and mix up my own color, who knows.

But thanks to 69Charger for the method, and all the rest of the guys for posting your results. Pretty soon, there are gonna be roller jobs everywhere.

roe

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Q5RR] #22703
04/20/06 05:24 PM
04/20/06 05:24 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I'm not really into the gloss white, I've seen a lot of flat white out there and it looks nice in my opinion, but we will see, I'll probably get a few colors.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22704
04/20/06 06:15 PM
04/20/06 06:15 PM
Portland, OR
B
batjac Offline
batjac  Offline
B

Portland, OR
This is an awesome thread. I'm probably going to be doing this on my car. But, even though the internet is a great resource, don't forget your local library. I went to the library yesterday to check out a video I knew they had on bodywork, and noticed that they had a 60 minute video tape titled "Color Sanding & Buffing". I just finished watching it, and it's a great tape. It even had great advice on how to deal with drips and runs. Makes me much more confident about the sanding portion of this process. Y'all might want to take a quick trip to the local library and see what they have sitting on the shelf.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22705
04/20/06 07:25 PM
04/20/06 07:25 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Awesome thread. Got a few questions. I live in CA and I seen a couple people were having problems getting paint to stick that also live in CA. Can I still do this with profession grade or industrial or perhaps another brand like glidden in CA, or am I gonna have to import some paint in from OR,NV or AZ? -Isaac

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22706
04/20/06 07:47 PM
04/20/06 07:47 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Awesome thread. Got a few questions. I live in CA and I seen a couple people were having problems getting paint to stick that also live in CA. Can I still do this with profession grade or industrial or perhaps another brand like glidden in CA, or am I gonna have to import some paint in from OR,NV or AZ? -Isaac

Rustoleum says there is no difference in the formula between states for quarts. VOC is apparently not regulated in quarts as it is in gallons. So the paint you buy in quarts should be the same as people can buy elsewhere.

I was one of the californians having issues, but now I'm certain it was due to the weather I was painting in, and not giving the coats enough time to dry before recoating them. Thus the layers I put on above were going over still "wet" paint that stayed soft, so the whole paint surface (all layers of paint) were sitting upon soft, uncured paint.

As long as you give it time to dry and don't have any oil or wax on the surface you should be fine.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22707
04/20/06 07:55 PM
04/20/06 07:55 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Hopefully charger see's this message now. I asked before but it seems lost

Hey charger i went and painted my car, and it looks great now compared to the black/grey oxidized 240sx i had before. Before, I thought my body was pretty straight, few dings here and there and i thought it would be fine. I guess it was the color that hid everything so well. Now after painting, i see the dings. I was able to paint my car now because of spring break, but now I want to fix my body work up during the summer. When I want to fix my body with body filler, do you think I should sand down to metal, or just sand with enough grit so that the body filler can grab onto paint. What do you recommend? Thanks

i'd sand down to at least the original paint with 80-100, then bondo, then repaint. problem is if you dont do a big enough area then you'll see the body work, just like u see the dents/dings, maybe re-do the whole car?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22708
04/21/06 01:45 AM
04/21/06 01:45 AM
venice, ca
A
admactanium Offline
admactanium  Offline
A

venice, ca
Quote:

i think that was more a matter of differing techniques than anything else. i'm using a product called xo rust and it hardens up just fine given enough time to dry.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: admactanium] #22709
04/21/06 03:59 AM
04/21/06 03:59 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi there,
first of all, thanx to 69charger for sharing this awesome method. I think you have become some what of a star around the web!

Unfortunately, I dont own a mopar or any classics for that matter. I actually drive a Civic (which is apparently the new hot rod these days). This thread has actually spread around quite a few honda forums, and making quite a buzz. Since a lot of civic owners are young and of course poor...this is almost a perfect alternative; at least it is for me.

My civic has a lot of body work to be done this summer before paint. This maybe a stupid question since this is rust paint, but has anyone actually gone through a winter with this paint before? 69charger as you know the Canadian winter and salty roads here can be very harsh. And I am assuming you dont drive ur 69 charger in the winter?

Anyway, I've been reading this thread everyday for the last few weeks and decided to join because my exams are almost over and I want to start working on my car. Seems like a lot of knowledgable ppl here that I can hopefully get help from. Hope you guys dont discriminate imports!! j/k

Steve

2569843-DSCN3533.JPG (608 downloads)
Page 61 of 85 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 84 85